Start by marking “Octavia Gone (Alex Benedict, #8)” as Want to Read:
Octavia Gone (Alex Benedict, #8)

Octavia Gone

(Alex Benedict #8)

After being lost in space for eleven years, Gabe finally makes his triumphant return to reunite with Alex and Chase and retrieve a possibly alien artifact—which may lead them to solve the greatest archaeological mystery of their careers, in the eighth installment of the Alex Benedict series.

After his return from space, Gabe is trying to find a new life for himself after b
Published May 7th 2019 by Gallery / Saga Press

Derek Tustin
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Found the book on an early release at a national chain... well, found it might be wrong, since I’ve been eagerly awaiting its release. It was almost the highpoint of my week until I found a near mint hard copy first edition of A Talent for War - the first book in the Alex Benedict series - at a local thrift store.

So yes, this was my Alex Benedict weekend.

Another excellent entry in this series. Mr. McDevitt has carved out a niche for himself - archeological sci-fi adventure mysteries - and his wr
Alex
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't really give any Alex Benedict book less than 5 stars at this point.
Derek S. Inman
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fine book from McDevitt!
Great storytelling with believable characters that I've come to know through the series. This book gives us an interstellar mystery with thought-provoking social overtones. Thanks for another good read, Jack!
Daniel
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always thought provoking read

I'm not one to write spoilers in reviews so the most I will say is that the book offer up a central mystery that keeps you turning the pages. I'm a big fan of this series, it is fun and exciting.
Alex Shrugged
I gave this book an extra star because I am a fan of this series. It goes pretty much like the other Alex Benedict novels, so if you didn't like those (the first one was different) then you won't like this one either.

The story: A space station orbiting a black hole goes missing. No trace is left. It went missing a few weeks before Gabe went missing as well. 11 years later, Gabe is back and the old tensions between Gabe and Alex crop up. Gabe wants to know where a certain artifact he left in a c
Dan'l Danehy-oakes
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Another pleasant enough episode in the ongoing adventures of Alex Benedict and his pilot/assistant Chase Kolpath (who narrates all but the first novel). Alex spends a fair amount of time offscreen in this one, as Chase winds up piloting his uncle Gabe Benedict (who was, previously, rescued after 11 years/3 weeks in a spacetime anomaly) around nearly as much as Alex.

This installment has two Mcguffins. The first is the disappearance of space station Octavia, about eleven years ago. Octavia had bee
Sibylle
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is a fun story if you don’t remember anything that has happened in this universe in previous books ... otherwise it is just incredibly frustrating because it’s full of continuity mistakes that are both needless and glaringly obvious.

Some examples (and unfortunately a small list):

- a character who died in “A Talent for War” as the main human traitor/villain and had no small role in that book is suddenly alive and well at a dinner party
- another character from “A Talent for War” is entir
James Mourgos
Always liked Jack McDevitt's adventures with Alex Benedict and his girl Friday Chase as they explored the universe in search of solving mysteries of the galaxies.

In this story we have a missing space station, gone the last 12 years, as it orbited a black hole. Originally this was a science mission, but much in the way of speculation happened here.

Alex's uncle Gabe, found after 7 years in a time warp (Yikes) searchs for an alien artifact left by one of the now gone space station above, the Octa
Bill Cook
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot of fun here. I think it was Coming Home that had the Firebird bit resolve as Alex's uncle Gabe recovered from a … gravity wave? In a late Southpark sense, this changes things. And Rainbow Ent. can't be what it was.

McDevitt mines an innocuous lead about an alien trophy to put Gabe and Chase on the trail of a mystery. It's not long before Alex takes the lead, though, seeking a second mystery related to a disappeared research station, contemporary to Gabe's point of temporal relevance.

The Rim
Scott Kardel
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Jack McDevitt's Alex Benedict series delivers good science fiction mysteries set in the future where humanity has spread to other worlds, interstellar travel is easy, everyone has personal AIs and flying cars. Octavia Gone looks to settle the case of research station orbiting a black hole that went missing and its possible connection to an alien artifact. As usual, McDevitt delivers a page turner that I very much enjoyed.
J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
McDevitt's books just sit well with me. They aren't action packed, they're just "here's something we did in space" and I like it.

Great narration.
May 09, 2019
Rodney Parker
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Octavia Gone Cover 3 14 Mar 22, 2019 08:29AM
Jack McDevitt is a former English teacher, naval officer, Philadelphia taxi driver, customs officer and motivational trainer. His work has been on the final ballot for the Nebula Awards for 12 of the past 13 years. His first novel, The Hercules Text, was published in the celebrated Ace Specials series and won the Philip K. Dick Special Award. In 1991, McDevitt won the first $10,000 UPC Internation ...more

Alex Benedict (8 books)
  • A Talent for War (Alex Benedict, #1)
  • Polaris (Alex Benedict, #2)
  • Seeker (Alex Benedict, #3)
  • The Devil's Eye (Alex Benedict, #4)
  • Echo (Alex Benedict, #5)
  • Firebird (Alex Benedict, #6)
  • Coming Home (Alex Benedict, #7)
“The most common cause of plans going wrong and operations collapsing can usually be traced to a communication breakdown. The secret to management success, in peace or war, is to explain strategy in clear terms, and to listen. Acquire those two skills, and fate will be kind.” 0 likes
“Celebrate whenever and whatever you can. Wed, bring forth a child, repair a broken door, cut the grass, and do not waste the opportunity to beat the drum with friends and throw a party. It is the essence of life and joy. —CHEN LO COBB, “CAREFUL WHERE YOU WALK,” FROM COLLECTIBLES, 614” 0 likes