Start by marking “One Dark Bird” as Want to Read:
One Dark Bird

One Dark Bird

From award-winning author Liz Garton Scanlon and celebrated artist Frann Preston-Gannon comes a gorgeously illustrated, lyrical counting book that will have young readers’ imaginations taking flight.

One dark bird is perched up high, with a view of the town and a taste of the sky. Then she’s joined by two more, then three, then four. Before long, there are hundreds of sta
Published July 16th 2019 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about One Dark Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Dark Bird

Start your review of One Dark Bird
Mary Lee
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love watching murmurations. Here is a rhyming picture book that starts with one starling, builds to the entire swirling mass, then dissolves back down to the one again.
Richie Partington
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Richie’s Picks: ONE DARK BIRD by Liz Garton Scanlon and Frann Preston-Gannon, ill., Simon & Schuster/Beach Lane, July 2019, 978-1-5344-0443-4

“When you see me
Fly away without you
Shadow on the things you know
Feathers fall around you
And show you the way to go”
-- Neil Young, “Birds” (1970)

ONE DARK BIRD folds math, poetry and science into a stunningly beautiful picture book.

It’s a counting book, that counts up from one to ten and, later
Margie
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just shy of eight year ago I wrote this in a note on Facebook.

Stepping from my doorway this morning, my eyes were greeted with an avian invasion; hundreds and hundreds carpeted my neighbors' lawns. With my nearing they lifted as one feathered wing, gliding, soaring, swooping to another yard, continually joined by ten, twenty or thirty more. As closer I came, finally the multitude rose above the lofty treetops, their command of air masterful as they left my sight. Silence and the prom
Sandy Brehl
This is a prime example of how a great picture book story idea (a murmuration of starlings) can achieve greatness as a circle story in rhymed text, a counting book, a bedtime book, and an informative exploration of nature fore even the very youngest audiences. This elevation of an original concept to a book that should (and will) become a classic. This book is a masterclass for anyone hoping to write picture books.
Apart from that praise, this is also a book that kids will love, and will in
Jane
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely book about starlings and the amazing patterns they fly in the sky in huge flocks. Great counting book as well, starting at 1, jumping from 10 to hundreds, then counting back down from 10 to 1. I often find the text in children's books lame, but I thought the text here was delightful ("6 soar brightly, 7 sweep, 8 will sing the sun to sleep") and the artwork too.

Urban children are often more familiar with non-native birds like house sparrows, rock doves (aka pigeons), and starlings, so i
David  Ballard
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is nicely different in that incorporates counting within the story. It’s cleverly done and adds an extra dimension to this atmospheric tale.

The one dark bird is a starling, looking here much more glorious than his real life counterpart! Then there are two, then more, until they become a flock, swooping and soaring to avoid a predatory hawk.

The illustrations are gorgeous, beautifully styled, full of rough textures and good use of colour.

Definitely one to check o
Mary
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, wish-list
A counting book to use in the fall when birds are congregating for migration. Beautifully illustrated with poetic text, the book is enriched by a small plot that involves starlings grouping together in a huge flock (a murmur of starlings) to protect themselves from a preying hawk. Count forward and backward from one to ten.
Desiree
I loved the sequencing in this book and also the mix of numerical and phonological fun. The illustrations are beautiful and draws the reader deep into the story. This is an excellent after bath, before bedtime story. I also love learning the term "murmuration" of starlings. They band together to make themselves stronger. Lovely book for school aged children.
Kevin McNally
I give this book three out of five stars. While this book is both a picture book and a counting book, to me it was not very entertaining. Though I am sure children will find this book entertaining enough. The pictures are well done and the rhymes are catchy. For a bedtime story I would recommend this book, as the counting aspect can help kids to sleep.
Katrina Clohessy
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful story about starling birds coming together in large formation for protection against hawk. Counting story with excellent rhyming throughout. Short, sweet & simple, a so a good storytime pick.
Aviara
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Beautiful! Educational and ryhming text. A perfect book. Reminded me of "Swimmy" by Leo Lionni. A Mass(school) of fish to escape predators similar with this story and how specific birds flock together to create safety in numbers from their predators too!
Effie
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely counting book that teaches a little something about birds in the process. Liz Garton Scanlon's excellent writing style elevates this rhyming book to a delicious poetic read aloud. Enjoyable richly colored illustrations by Frann Preston-Gannon complement the text beautifully.
Darshana Khiani
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming, pb-concept
This is a perfect read-aloud for young kids. The words have a beautiful lyrical quality, fun to say and hear. It also has a counting layer to it count up from 1 to 10 and then back again. And learn a little about murmurations in the process.
Kristina
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bird, counting, rhyming, city
I don't really like this one. The rhyming is unnecessary and does not flow well.
Edward Sullivan
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Starlings and murmurations in this gorgeously illustrated counting book.
Shauna Yusko
Gorgeous counting book.
Diane
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Gorgeous illustrations in a counting book of starlings and a dusk murmuration. Tells the story of a few minutes of magic in the air and makes me feel better about starlings.
Kelly
This is a book that includes counting, but it goes beyond that because the quantity of starlings is too much at one point. Then it becomes a neat book about the interesting patterns of these birds.
Rebecca Gomez
This isn't just a counting book. It's a true work of art, both its text and its illustrations!
Aliza Werner
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vibrant illustrations accompanying a counting poem centered on starling murmurations.
Y.Poston
3. 5 stars
Ashley
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-flora
Beautiful illustrations. Great counting book.
Fran
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-shelf
Wow, what a beautiful book and a good one for story time as well!
Anthony
A rhyming and counting tale of how one starling is joined by many others when startled or danger approaches to keep each other safe and from harm as they fly in unison until the threat is over.
Lisa D
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
another classic by this author
Megan McCloud
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Very pretty-- and a cool topic!
Kristina Jean Lareau
A great counting book with solid rhymes that are not the usual.

Plus gorgeous illustrations and lovely endpapers on theme.
Lauren

• Here and Now
  • If I Was the Sunshine
  • Carl and the Meaning of Life
  • Lubna and Pebble
Liz Garton Scanlon is the author of numerous beloved books for young people, including the highly-acclaimed, Caldecott-honored picture book All the World, illustrated by Marla Frazee, and her debut novel for middle grade readers, The Great Good Summer, as well as The Good-Pie Party; Happy Birthday, Bunny!; Noodle & Lou, and several others. Ms. Scanlon is also a poet, a teacher and a frequent & ...more