Start by marking “The Storm (#2 Ponni's Beloved - An English Translation Of Kalki Krishnamurthy's Ponniyin Selvan)” as Want to Read:

The Storm

(பொன்னியின் செல்வன் #2)

Kalki Krishnamurthy’s Ponniyin Selvan is a masterpiece that has enthralled generations of Tamil readers. Many authors have written phenomenal books in Tamil literature after Kalki Krishnamurthy, but Ponniyin Selvan remains the most popular, widely-read novel. It has just the right mixture of all things that make an epic – political intrigue, conspiracy, betrayal, huge ...more
Published October 19th 2018 by Indreads (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Storm, please sign up.
Steffi Dias Hi,

Check on archive.org; it is a library of books where you can borrow virtually and read online.

Start your review of The Storm (#2 Ponni's Beloved - An English Translation Of Kalki Krishnamurthy's Ponniyin Selvan)
Kannathal Kannappan
"அலைகடலும ஓயநதிருகக அகககடல தான பொஙகுவதேன?... " I loved this song by Poonguzhali. Narration about sea journey made me awestruck and decided to experience it at least once in life time. Narrations and examples given for each and every incidents are wonderful. Overall I loved second part more compared to first part. Awaiting to read other three parts. ...more
Muthu Anand
Brilliant.
Girish
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
Break Neck speed is how the narrative unfolds. I always believe it is upto the reader to like or dislike any character in the book. But here, the author takes on the challenge to make you like characters you disliked in the first part and vice versa.

Part two of the epic wastes no time to pick up the threads from the last book and bring them together in a colorful manner with the landscape of SriLanka in the background. Parts of the book almost seems like a tourism brochure for the country
Madhupria
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-books
Finally, we got to meet our title character, Ponniyin Selvan. Have to say that I absolutely LOVE Poonkuzhali. The captivating Lanka that was depicted in the book is certainly a place I want to visit. Not to mention the ambiance-inducing writing made me feel like I was actually in the midst of the cyclone!
Saravana Kumar
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: archive
I felt as if I am travelling with Arulmozhi varman in Sri Lanka...
Virat hooda
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian-authors
True Wonderer
After completing his first commission, our rowdy hero 'Vandhiyathevan' departs on another, given to him by the beloved Chozha princess 'Kundavai', over whom he is obviously smitten. This task will take him to the namesake of this series, to 'Ponniyin Selvan' Arulmozhivarman, the younger Chozha prince himself. And the plot decidedly thickens.

The second book in the series lives up to its expectation and more. After getting comfortable with the writing style in the first book, you
Ashish Iyer
An absolute masterpiece.
This is not a book but a time machine thats transports the reader to the glorious Chola dynasty of South India and offers a front-row seat to an exciting adventure across ancient kingdoms, oceans and forests. The writing is flawless, the excitement palpable and the cliffhanger intense. In fact such a magnificent and epochal setting, with context, drama, intrigue and historical authenticity could only be one of a kind. This translation into English unlocks a huge new
Arun
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute masterpiece. This is not a book but a time machine thats transports the reader to the glorious Chola dynasty of south India and offers a front-row seat to an exciting adventure across ancient kingdoms, oceans and forests. The writing is flawless, the excitement palpable and the cliffhanger intense. Can't wait for Book 3!
Sneha Varman
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW.!

What a way to end 2016! Ponniyin Selvan, my first historical fiction book! This is the second book in the series. Such a beautiful story and wonderful characters! Can't wait to read the third book. The translator has done justice to the original writing. However, I believe nothing can equal the original; hence the 4 star rating.
Srikanth R
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book was initially as slow as the first part and then picked up pace. Gripping and thrilling from that point. Enjoyed it. Cant wait to start the next part.
Madhumitha Pradeep
And finally, we get to meet the title character! I really liked how Poonguzhali is portrayed. I liked this book way more than the first! ...more
Shanmuga Selvan
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read hole 5 part love it for the explanation this shows tamilans humanity and way of living
Deepika Sivakumar
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The description of every place and scene is amazing... Coundn't keep the book down.......
Naresh
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting story-line but at some places the author stretches too much... A lot of historical information about Sri Lanka is depicted. A great read.
Jeevaraj Radhakrishnan
Lively Arulmozhi and Lovely Poonguzhali of this book provided me with an
unputdownable experience!
Characterisation is stunning!!
A journey through forest, ocean and their two-facesw called the beauty and the beast!
Ponniyin Selvan Part II (Whirlwind) Suzhal Kaatru is mainly about whether Vandhiyadevan is successful in meeting the Chola Prince Arulmozhivarmar and conveying the message that Kundavai has ordered him to or not! As a reader I had anticipated Kalki to introduce Ponniyin Selvan to me in
Aravindh Kumar
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer2016, tamil
Not as good and riveting as the first volume, this volume is still in the process of setting the stage. We finally get to see Ponniyin Selvar and the characterization doesn't disappoint, even though his qualities like chivalry, strength and sense of honour make him a superhero of sorts. We also get to see further more of our hero's brash escapades. The author could've toned down a bit on the dramatisation of certain events and the descriptions (வரணனை) of the female characters. Overall, a very ...more
Sindhuja Anbazhagan
Ponniyin Selvan - Part 2....
Book was initially as slow as the first part and then picked up pace. This part also did not disappoint me.

The narration is awesome and the author took the full responsibility to cherish the readers with the words used. I just love the second part and it is perfect. I am addicted to this book of series since it is entertaining. It is really heartening to realize that the men in the Chozha dynasty stayed together and fought their common enemies. Arul mozhi and
Senthilprabhu
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a wonderful book. The part 2 is as equal as part 1.

Wonderful way of characterization, explains each character with deep insight.

It also portrays history of Cholas in a great manner.

And the story is getting nicer page by page.

Definitely a classic.
Sowmya
Must read book! Salutations to the great author!
Subramanyam K.V.
Another great work

The plot narration is amazing. The way characters are sketched and the way they grow is fantastic. One has to give it to the author for this Magnum opus.
Maha
Apr 03, 2015 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
this book is awesome and i feel like i m living in that time. i m forgetting present and my memory goes to that period. my favouite book it is.
A Man Called Ove
Compared to vol 1 which was fast-paced and had some great twists, this one was slower and had fewer surprises. Also the overall story has moved slowly. Moving on to volume 3.
Suresh Vijendran
Fantastic read through. In this volume (2) only the namesake of the novel is getting introduced. Some mild humour is also written throughout the book.
Jayasooriya S
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cant say nothing its my first novel
Shree
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ponniyin Selvan is a critically acclaimed Tamil Novel. Set in the Chola period, the story revolves around Sundara Cholan, the emperor. Vandiya Devan, the prince of a fallen kingdom, is tasked to be a messenger by Aditya Karikalan to deliver message critical to the empire. This volume follows Vandiya Devan's journey to Sri Lanka where he meets Prince Arul Mozhi Varman who is in the middle of conquering Sri Lanka.

The original story as such is ridiculously thrilling. The characterisation, the plot
Vignesh Sundar
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kalki takes us to Sri Lanka for the wonderful second part of the Ponniyin Selvan series. The adventure unravels at an edge-of-your-seat kind of pace, but the two things I really enjoyed, both in this book as well as the first one, are the depth to which the characters have been developed, and many of their beautifully woven conversations. The wit and loyalty of Vandhiyathevan, the deviousness of Nandini, the righteousness of Arulmozhi Varman, the strength of Punkuzhali and her hauntingly ...more
Rathi
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poonkuzhali gets the coolest entry for any heroine (or hero) ever! And the way her character is sketched, you can't help but wonder how progressive Kalki really was. Poonkuzhali does everything a hero usually does, including rescuing the hero(ine)!
And the titular hero is finally introduced. It is a great introduction - you can almost imagine this becoming a whistle-worthy moment if a movie is ever made. But.. but.. but.. it pales in comparison to Poonkuzhali's introduction.
This book also has one
Madhura Vani
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RA
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nithyasree
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While translating an ever-classic epic novel, it is very important to keep in mind the importance of each character, the language and the flow of scenes. Sumeetha Manikandan gave us the perfect blend of all these in her book. Starting from the cover to the footnotes, this book, being the second in series, did not fail to impress me.
Great work Sumi!
It is always a treat to read her book and this particular one will shake you to the core.
Waiting for the next in series.....

• Poniyin selvan part1
  • The Secret Of The Druids
  • Shiva Trilogy (Shiva Trilogy #1-3)
  • Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)
  • Asura: Tale Of The Vanquished
  • Rise of Kali: Duryodhana's Mahabharata (Epic of the Kaurava Clan #2)
  • Poonachi: Or the Story of a Black Goat
  • KASHI: Secret of the Black Temple (Harappa Series)
  • Will You Still Love Me
  • The Room on the Roof
  • பெண் ஏன் அடிமையானாள்?
  • கி.மு கி.பி [Ki.Mu Ki.Pi]
  • The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy, #1)
  • 新参者 [Shinzanmono] (加賀恭一郎, #8)
  • HARAPPA: Curse of the Blood River
  • Sita: Warrior of Mithila (Ram Chandra #2)
Kalki (Tamil: கலகி) was the pen name of R. Krishnamurthy (Tamil: ரா. கிருஷணமூரததி) (September 9, 1899–December 5, 1954), a noted Tamil writer, film & music critic, Indian independence activist and journalist from Tamil Nadu, India. ...more

பொன்னியின் செல்வன் (5 books)
  • பொன்னியின் செல்வன் - புது வெள்ளம்
  • பொன்னியின் செல்வன் - கொலை வாள்
  • பொன்னியின் செல்வன் - மணிமகுடம்
  • Ponniyin Selvan - Part 5 (Tamil)
“... they walked to the Mahamega grove in the centre of which was a sacred, thousand-five-hundred-year-old Bodhi tree.

Bhikshus, devotees and many others were circumambulating the tree, offering flowers to it and paying it obeisance. The Prince paid his respects to it. He said to the other two, “Kings and kingdoms disappear but this tree is proof that righteousness is eternal.”

Looking around, he saw three grooms holding horses that were ready to start out. He went up to them and the grooms greeted him joyfully. He asked them something then turned to Vandiyathevan. “The palace which was burnt down last night was Mahasena's. These people were afraid that we might have been burnt too. They are extremely happy to see us.”

“It might be true that a thousand-five-hundred-year-old tree still stands. But righteousness has long been dead,” said Vandiyathevan.”
2 likes