Start by marking “Making Friends with Alice Dyson” as Want to Read:
Making Friends with Alice Dyson

Making Friends with Alice Dyson

My hand, which is following a stray pencil rolling across the floor, stops dead right in front of two ratty green sneakers.
My gaze follows the shoes up over long legs to a towering figure.
I stand abruptly.
Tall, black eyes, messy hair, a permanent scowl on a permanently angry face. Our school’s delinquent, a waster, the kind of boy who always sits at the back o
Published November 5th 2019 by Wakefield Press

To ask other readers questions about Making Friends with Alice Dyson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Friends with Alice Dyson

Start your review of Making Friends with Alice Dyson
C.G. Drews
This was so soft and adorable, the kind of contemporary that tugs at your heart. It captured what it is to be shy so well and w o w if this book isn’t relatable to those of us who work extra hard (especially in highschool) to cover up the fact that making friends is hard. Super hard. Alice is like an Australian-Hermione (or Amy from Brooklyn Nine-Nine) and I adored her instantly. She’s so torn between keeping to herself vs giving a kind word to anyone who needs it. THE PUREST CHILD.

And let’s ta/>And
ALPHAreader
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Was asked to provide an endorsement quote for this book, because it was 1000% up my alley as a smart & steely Aussie YA romance.

So this was my full quote about the book that I absolutely ADORED:

Don't judge a book by its cover, and don't listen to the rumours about Teddy Taualai!

‘Making Friends with Alice Dyson’ is a sweet contemporary romance about growing up, growing apart, and getting to know someone before it's too late. A tender and true debut about the power of friendship and the tru
K.
Trigger warnings: controlling parents, (view spoiler), mentions of violence, slut shaming.

This book was hella cute and I loved the friendship/relationship between Alice and Teddy. I loved the changing friendships over the course of the year and Teddy's grandmother was delightful. My one slight complaint is that the characters didn't entirely feel like year 12s. If you'd told me they were year 10s, I definitely would h
Lainy122
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I'm going to be honest, I tend to stay away from contemporary YA if it's a high school setting - they tend to be a bit same-y, with the extreme drama and best friend backstabbing and the popularity game with high emotions and that whole scene is just not my jam.

So imagine my surprise when I loved THE HELL out of this book! There were some of the elements I mentioned, but through the lens of a character who not only doesn't care about high school politics but actually doesn't even not
Emily
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
RATING: 3.5/5 stars
I am so proud of Poppy for the release of her debut novel. I enjoyed reading this and liked how Alice Dyson was relatable in the way that she was happy not being popular. I did feel that a few of the chapters could have been incorporated better into the story. Overall it was a really cute read!
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating 4.5 ⭐
High school me relates so much to Alice Dyson - the bookishness, the whispering and gossip behind my back, even the smell of salt in the school hallways. This book was a wonderful coming-of-age story that I felt was entirely realistic. The writing was so satisfying and the characters were full of so much depth. A very enjoyable and heartfelt read.
Jessica Gilham
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Y'all, this was such a fun time!
As you probably know by now, I love me a good Australian-contemporary and this was SO. GOOD.
The exploration of all the friendships in this book was EVERYTHING, and Teddy made me swoon so badly.
Poppy Nwosu - big fan!!!
Brooklyn Tayla
I had the pleasure of meeting Poppy at her book launch for her debut, Making Friends With Alice Dyson, and it honestly made me all the more curious to read it, excited having heard Poppy speak with such love and adoration about her characters!
I could not fault this, it was such a gorgeous mix of heartache and heartwarming! I loved everything about it, especially both where Alice and Teddy are concerned! I loved all their scenes together and going through Alice’s thoughts as she allowed her
Claire
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Making Friends with Alice Dyson is a cute contemporary romance with great characters. It’s also about friendship, spreading rumours, first love and questioning what you really want. I loved this debut novel by Poppy Nwosu.

I really liked the friendship between Alice and Teddy, which starts after a small incident causes rumours to be spread about them. I liked how Alice was unsure at first because of the other rumours about him and the fact that Teddy was distracting her from studying. Once she g
Jenna
This was such a cute little romance! I adored the characters and absolutely loved the way they felt so real and I was able to relate to their issues, particularly Alice when it came to studying and finding it hard to make friends. I have definitely been there (hell I'm still kind of there now) and it was so refreshing to see it portrayed so brilliantly in a novel.

Plus the book was set in my hometown and guys believe me when I say NOTHING is set in this city. So being able to truly im
Emma-Kate
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a beautiful, tender coming of age story. Poppy weaves such an organic story that makes you feel like you KNOW Alice, Teddy, and May. Congratulations Poppy on such a heart warming debut that makes me long for the days of summer, ice-cream, and first loves.
Sophie
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
There was a lot about this book that I really enjoyed, but every time I started to get into the romance, the dude would do some boundary pushing, red flag sort of stuff that never really got treated as seriously as I thought it should and it was very off putting.
Caitlin
I'm not usually a big contemporary fan, but I loved this. All of the feels!
Simone
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a beautiful, evocative story that hit a little too close to home sometimes and made me very glad I'm no longer in high school lol. Lovely complex characters and a beautiful ending!
Jo Case
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm biased, because I work for the publisher, but I loved this sweet, razor-sharp-witted contemporary YA rom-com (set in my neighbourhood - Largs Bay/Port Adelaide) about friendship, compromise, seeing past surfaces to the nuanced people below the Breakfast-Club stereotypes (bad-boy outcast, library-nerd, pretty popular girl) - and being true to yourself. Most of all, it's a delicious joy to read.
Kristy Fairlamb
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh Alice.
You had my heart right from the start and all the way through to the end.

This is a gorgeous book about sweet, innocent, and nerdy Alice Dyson in her final year at high school, determined to get good grades with a clear vision for her future. Then Teddy Taualai somehow inserts himself into every part of her life and things don't go quite how she planned.

It was easy to fall in love with Alice, her genuine kindness seeped through the voice on every page. And Teddy, how could you not love him.
Evie
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The beginning of the novel felt like it was aimed at a younger audience (maybe 14 year olds), even though the characters are in their last year of high school. This put me off but later in the book, the characters, storyline and writing matured and became more believable and relatable for me (I am also in my last year of high school like the characters are).
One of the flashback chapters was also really confusing, I didn't realise it was a flashback until half way through the next chapter- I tho
Star
I really enjoyed this book.
I love how it starts - with Alice in a video that has gone viral. It shows the ups and downs of teenage friendships, and first crushes and loves that I am sure many people can relate to.
I adored the way Poppy brought the characters to life, and I found myself wanting to hug a few of them throughout the entirety of this book.
This entire book makes me just want to hug someone. Which is weird, but it does.
I'm happy for Alice, and I just thoroughly
Shelley Carter
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautifully sweet, nostalgic story of two teenagers who fall in love after a unique encounter with one another. Poppy Nwosu's Making Friends with Alice Dyson has similarities to Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor & Park with it's carefully constructed characters and realistic setting. I loved it!

Full review coming soon.

For more reviews, visit Underground Writers: https://bit.ly/2DJJQ9g
Jennifer Mackenzie Dunbar
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't often read YA but I found Making Friends with Alice Dyson an enjoyable journey back into the world of first love and school time dilemmas. Poppy Nwosu uses a light touch to explore important issues of frienship, peer pressure and family relationships. Her characters are complex and believable and accessible for her audience.
LiA
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just loved the theme and idea of being brave and curious to the unknown part of our lives. I want to say thank you to Poppy Nwosu for writing this amazing book about life. It is very interesting for me all the way. It also inspired me in some ways that I cannot explain. Making Friends with Alice Dyson is now one of my favourite books!
StarAlyssa
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poppy Nwosu has successfully made this the best book I've read so far. I've enjoyed unraveling in the journey of friendship, love and school in this book. Alice Dyson is an amazing character to relate to and share the same lenses of the world with as her story of friendship is something I have experienced too. I definitely recommend to read this wonderful book, especially to teens book lovers.
Alana
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing book. So full of heart and humour. An absolutely brilliant debut can’t wait to read more from this author.
Christine
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little predictable but a great read.
Belinda Grant
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a beautiful read that I couldn't put down! Alice was such an endearing, original character and the romance was done to perfection. Loved it!
H.M. Waugh
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this - review on my blog www.hmwaugh.com
Jaq
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian-2017
Charming tale of first love and friendship.
Huong
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
🌟 🌟 🌟. 5

Adorable and light read. Ending was eh
Angeline
Jul 03, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: 2019-pub
DNFed page 43

Writing style just isn’t for me.
Meghan
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-release
Making Friends With Alice Dyson is the story of Alice, in her final year of high school just trying to get through it when a silly little video of her & the tough guy with a bad rap, Teddy Taualai goes viral, forcing them into an unlikely friendship that grows into the sweetest, most delicate tale of first love 💕

Alice is a fantastic character; thoughtful & kind, dedicated, driven, independent, & loyal to no end. Even facing the possibility of growing apart from her bff wh

• It Sounded Better in My Head
  • What I Like About Me
  • The Boy Who Steals Houses
  • The Surprising Power of a Good Dumpling
  • All That Impossible Space
  • Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)
  • Monuments
  • Small Spaces
  • The Place on Dalhousie
  • Toffee
  • Love Lie Repeat
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
Poppy Nwosu is an Australian YA author.

Growing up in central North Queensland, Poppy enjoyed a thoroughly wild childhood surrounded by rainforest and cane fields. After studying music at university, she moved overseas to Ireland, where she spent two years visiting everywhere she could.
These days Poppy still loves to travel, but she also likes to come home again to her house in Adelaide near the
“I glance back at the painting of the forest. At first there doesn't seem to be much besides the shadowy gum trees. But if you peer a little closer it is dark and deep like a well with no bottom. Anything could be hidden there, if you bothered to look hard enough.” 1 likes
“I lean my head to the side, watching him. ‘Do you really not care what everyone thinks?’
‘Nah, not really.’