Start by marking “Afternoons with the Blinds Drawn” as Want to Read:
Afternoons with the Blinds Drawn

Afternoons with the Blinds Drawn

The trajectory of Suede - hailed in infancy as both 'The Best New Band in Britain' and 'effete southern wankers' - is recalled with moving candour by its frontman Brett Anderson, whose vivid memoir swings seamlessly between the tender, witty, turbulent, euphoric and bittersweet.

Suede began by treading the familiar jobbing route of London's emerging new 1990s indie bands -

Published October 3rd 2019 by Little, Brown Book Group

To ask other readers questions about Afternoons with the Blinds Drawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afternoons with the Blinds Drawn

Start your review of Afternoons with the Blinds Drawn
Carrie Lofty
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brett Anderson, co-founder of the iconic 1990s English indie rock back Suede, made an exceptional literary debut with his 2018 memoir, Coal Black Mornings, which surprised readers and charmed critics, in part because of his steadfast determination to present his childhood as just that: a childhood. The book ends at the pivotal moment when Suede sign their first contract with Nude Records, when most rock memoirs would really take off. Bring on tales of success and excess!

The first chapter of
Tosh
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-bought
I avoided Suede in the early years because I was turned off by their image for some reason. Sort of second-generation or even third-generation glam didn't sound that hot to me. Over the years I warmed to their records, and last year I bought and read Brett Anderson's first memoir of his childhood and teenage years. That book is excellent. A very detailed description of his surroundings and a fascinating and eccentric father. "Afternoon with the Blinds Drawn" focuses on the high years of Suede, ...more
Pekka
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Honest and beautiful.
Niklas Pivic
I enjoyed Brett Anderson’s first autobiographical book, “Coal Black Mornings“, immensely. Anderson proved to be eloquent, engaging, and terse, all in good ways.

This second book should never have been. I mean, the first chapter of the book is “The book I said I would never write”.

The first one finished where Suede was just about to hit the big time, which they did.

The response to Suede was so disproportionate that there seemed to be very few historical parallels, and while it’s not something that
Alex Sarll
The sequel which, as per an early chapter title, Brett Anderson had sworn he wouldn't write, following Suede to fame and fortune, and as such into the territory of so many other band narratives, with success going to their head, the slog of trying to break America, fractures in what was once a tight-knit gang, feeling lost in the persona the press constructed around them...you know the drill. And so does Brett, who tries to offer insights from within the machine, and sometimes succeeds, but is ...more
KM
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mielenkiintoinen kertomus jatkaa siitä, mihin Coal Black Mornings jäi. Etenkin kertomukset Sueden kappaleiden kirjoittamisesta ja niiden syntytarinat olivat mielenkiintoisia, ja kirjan luettuani olin ja olen aina vaan enemmän suedepäissäni.
Anna
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4,5*. Fantastically well written. Nostalgic in places but not sentimental. Possibly the only book I’ve read which mentions Batiste dry shampoo twice (it is by far the best).
Rick Burin
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Record Collector here: https://recordcollectormag.com/review...
P BAMLETT
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Literate and fascinating

I have read hundreds of rock biographies and this book stands head and shoulders above the majority of them. It is a self deprecating ,all written dissection of the authors experiences. Coal Black Mornings is a good read ,this is even better. A third volume would be welcome.
Bethnoir
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A thoughtful reflection on the effect of fame on a person and their relationship with others and reality, Brett doesn't spare himself in this book. This has the effect of reviewing events from a distance, always seen with hindsight, which removes some of the tension, but makes very interesting reading.

I feel I have more insight into the person Brett was and who he tries to be now. It was enjoyable to read the process of song writing and creation for the band and it's made me want to listen to
Mariza Mentzou
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I easily give this a solid 4.5 stars.
If you're expecting the usual rock band story, look elsewhere.

In his own words, Brett Anderson, Suede's leader and author of this book, introduces the book: "So here I sit writing the book I said I wouldn't write."

Indeed, he did not write the book he said he wouldn't write. And it's because of this, that this is such a uniquely told story and beautiful book to read, not only for the fans and anyone else who appreciates the band and loves their music. But a
Mark Farley
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Following on from the great COAL BLACK MORNINGS, this is ‘the book he didn’t want to write’ and that in question is one time pretentious pop elf, lead singer of the group Suede and Britpop agitator, Brett Anderson.

Yes, I didn’t want to write this but… that old chestnut. So let’s deal with the elephant in the room and its simply, you wouldn’t have gotten paid if you didn’t bring in the bacon, play (or in this case, talk about) the hits. For Anderson in AFTERNOONS WITH THE BLINDS DRAWN, the
Jordan Phizacklea-Cullen
A very capable (and anticipated) follow-up to 'Coal Black Mornings', Anderson's personal history through Suede's first phase (1992-2003) is as eloquent and insightful as his first volume of memoirs, and largely succeeds in his stated intention of avoiding the usual rock memoir retreads. If you were there for this period it'll mean the most to you, but the prose and musings on fame can be enjoyed on their own merits alone.
Mark Butterworth
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is not the best-written rock biography out there, nor the most salacious. However, it is honest and visceral. For a Suede fan, it's a no-brainer. Understanding the backdrop against which their songs and albums were written adds a whole new layer to their musical legacy. Brett's honesty about his flaws and shortcomings felt sincere and vulnerable; the book is much more powerful as a result.
Michelle Dodd (Creaney)
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Honest portrayal of a band and a man's rise and fall. It wasn't nearly as druggy and cliched as it could have been. I particularly enjoyed some of the chapter titles such as "It Sounds Like The Fucking Smurfs" and occasional references to Larkin and The Smiths. I was never a huge Suede fan, but you don't need to be to enjoy this.
Pauline Midwinter
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A difficult read at times, as one of your musical heroes admits his worst times. I am so impressed with his honesty of the worst bits, although I could only read one chapter at a time during these bits. The songwriting process is utterly fascinating, and I love the names the songs get as working titles!
Mat Davies
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent second memoir from Suede frontman. This volume charts the bands first flush of success through to their collapse in the early 21st century. Anderson is a superb writer: self deprecating, honest, punishingly self critical but completely authentic.
Jonny Carey
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit disappointing after the excellent Coal Black Mornings. Still beautifully written and very honest but sometimes feel baggy (I find descriptions of how songs came to be written deathly dull and this book has a lot of them). Would still be curious to read a part 3.
Eric
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I understand that this must have been a difficult story to write, because it was full of constant apologies and laments to the readers. Brett is a great writer, but he obviously was contractually bound to write this part of the tale, and it shows.
Doris Raines
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
NICE BOOK.
Ondřej Trhoň
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 recka soon na ArtZone, je to krasne ale
Lorraine
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So outstandingly honest and open. As a long time fan it is gold! Brett is such a talented man but he is also so unsure of his abilities, and he should not be at all.
MR T H BOWLES
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic follow up to Coal Black mornings. Brett offers a unique insight into the rise and fall of Suede with fizz and flair, skilfully documenting the fault lines and drama along the way
Michael Legge
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shame he dies in the end.
Richard Luck
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent - a little overwritten but then it wouldn't be Suede/Brett Anderson if it wasn't.
Paul
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is not often that I read a whole book in one sitting but, along with Coal Black Mornings, this is one of the very best rock star autobiographies you will ever read....superb stuff
Isabel S
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro que puede resultar curioso para cualquier aficionado a la música y del pop británico en particular, pero desde luego imprescindible para los seguidores de Suede. Con mucha honestidad y sinceridad, Brett Anderson va descomponiendo aquellas situaciones personales que fueron dando lugar al origen de cada uno de sus discos (aunque solamente hasta el fallido “A new morning”) y a las canciones más emblemáticas (y otras no tanto) del grupo. Muy muy disfrutable.
Grania

• The Offing
  • Then It Fell Apart
  • Ayoade on Top
  • I Love the Bones of You: My Life, My Family, My Father
  • This Searing Light, the Sun and Everything Else: Joy Division: The Oral History
  • The Beautiful Ones
  • The Brothers York: An English Tragedy
  • Year of the Monkey
  • Kill ’Em All
  • Wham! George & Me
  • David Bowie: A Life
  • Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing: Life, Death and the Thrill of the Catch
  • Withdrawn Traces: Searching for the Truth about Richey Manic, Foreword by Rachel Edwards
  • Another Planet: A Teenager in Suburbia
Brett Anderson is an English singer-songwriter best known as the frontman of indie-rock band Suede (1989-2003, 2010-present). Anderson is known for his distinctive wide-ranging voice and, during Suede's early days, his androgynous appearance. His first memoir, Coal Black Mornings, was published to critical acclaim in 2018, and a second volume is scheduled for late 2019.

(Adapted from Wikipedia.)