Start by marking “Afternoons with the Blinds Drawn” as Want to Read:
Afternoons with the Blinds Drawn

Afternoons with the Blinds Drawn

The trajectory of Suede - hailed in infancy as both 'The Best New Band in Britain' and 'effete southern wankers' - is recalled with moving candour by its frontman Brett Anderson, whose vivid memoir swings seamlessly between the tender, witty, turbulent, euphoric and bittersweet.

Suede began by treading the familiar jobbing route of London's emerging new 1990s indie bands -

Published October 3rd 2019 by Little, Brown Book Group

To ask other readers questions about Afternoons with the Blinds Drawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afternoons with the Blinds Drawn

Start your review of Afternoons with the Blinds Drawn
Carrie Lofty
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brett Anderson, co-founder of the iconic 1990s English indie rock back Suede, made an exceptional literary debut with his 2018 memoir, Coal Black Mornings, which surprised readers and charmed critics, in part because of his steadfast determination to present his childhood as just that: a childhood. The book ends at the pivotal moment when Suede sign their first contract with Nude Records, when most rock memoirs would really take off. Bring on tales of success and excess!

The first chapter of Afternoons w
Tosh
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-bought
I avoided Suede in the early years because I was turned off by their image for some reason. Sort of second-generation or even third-generation glam didn't sound that hot to me. Over the years I warmed to their records, and last year I bought and read Brett Anderson's first memoir of his childhood and teenage years. That book is excellent. A very detailed description of his surroundings and a fascinating and eccentric father. "Afternoon with the Blinds Drawn" focuses on the high years of Suede, a ...more
Niklas Pivic
I enjoyed Brett Anderson’s first autobiographical book, “Coal Black Mornings“, immensely. Anderson proved to be eloquent, engaging, and terse, all in good ways.

This second book should never have been. I mean, the first chapter of the book is “The book I said I would never write”.

The first one finished where Suede was just about to hit the big time, which they did.

The response to Suede was so disproportionate that there seemed to be very few historical parallels, an/>
The
Alex Sarll
The sequel which, as per an early chapter title, Brett Anderson had sworn he wouldn't write, following Suede to fame and fortune, and as such into the territory of so many other band narratives, with success going to their head, the slog of trying to break America, fractures in what was once a tight-knit gang, feeling lost in the persona the press constructed around them...you know the drill. And so does Brett, who tries to offer insights from within the machine, and sometimes succeeds, but is o ...more
Rick Burin
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Record Collector here: https://recordcollectormag.com/review...
P BAMLETT
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Literate and fascinating

I have read hundreds of rock biographies and this book stands head and shoulders above the majority of them. It is a self deprecating ,all written dissection of the authors experiences. Coal Black Mornings is a good read ,this is even better. A third volume would be welcome.
Mariza Mentzou
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I easily give this a solid 4.5 stars.
If you're expecting the usual rock band story, look elsewhere.

In his own words, Brett Anderson, Suede's leader and author of this book, introduces the book: "So here I sit writing the book I said I wouldn't write."

Indeed, he did not write the book he said he wouldn't write. And it's because of this, that this is such a uniquely told story and beautiful book to read, not only for the fans and anyone else who appreciates the band and loves th
Jonny Carey
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit disappointing after the excellent Coal Black Mornings. Still beautifully written and very honest but sometimes feel baggy (I find descriptions of how songs came to be written deathly dull and this book has a lot of them). Would still be curious to read a part 3.
MR T H BOWLES
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic follow up to Coal Black mornings. Brett offers a unique insight into the rise and fall of Suede with fizz and flair, skilfully documenting the fault lines and drama along the way
Michael Legge
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shame he dies in the end.
Richard Luck
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent - a little overwritten but then it wouldn't be Suede/Brett Anderson if it wasn't.
Danny Ashton

• Me
  • Perfect Sound Whatever
  • Horror Stories
  • Gotta Get Theroux This: My life and strange times on television
  • This Searing Light, the Sun and Everything Else: Joy Division: The Oral History
  • The Man Who Saw Everything
  • Supper Club
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Hard to Handle: The Life and Death of the Black Crowes--A Memoir
  • Grand Union: Stories
Brett Anderson is an English singer-songwriter best known as the frontman of indie-rock band Suede (1989-2003, 2010-present). Anderson is known for his distinctive wide-ranging voice and, during Suede's early days, his androgynous appearance. His first memoir, Coal Black Mornings, was published to critical acclaim in 2018, and a second volume is scheduled for late 2019.

(Adapted from Wikipedia.)