Start by marking “Breakdown: A Clinician's Experience in a Broken System of Emergency Psychiatry” as Want to Read:
Breakdown: A Clinician's Experience in a Broken System of Emergency Psychiatry

Breakdown: A Clinician's Experience in a Broken System of Emergency Psychiatry

When hospitals release seriously mentally ill patients too soon without outpatient follow-up, the patients can end up homeless, jailed, harming others, or even dead. When patients are deemed suitable for inpatient care, they can languish for weeks in hospital emergency departments before placements become available. Meanwhile, patients who fake the need for care are smooth ...more
Published October 6th 2018 by Lynn Nanos

To ask other readers questions about Breakdown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakdown

Start your review of Breakdown: A Clinician's Experience in a Broken System of Emergency Psychiatry
Steph Warren
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book, with thanks to the author. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

Breakdown is a thoroughly researched and well-argued treatise on the failures of mental health care provision for severely delusional and/or schizophrenic individuals in the US.

Lynn Nanos clearly has expert knowledge and experience in this field, and carefully constructs her arguments citing studies, academic papers and personal anecdotes to support her points.

Where her own cases a
Rose Joyce
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting , well written book . The author , who has been a social worker for many years has very definite ideas on how to fix a broken system . Her vignettes about her troubled patients and their families were written with great sensitivity.
D.B. Moone
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Review of BREAKDOWN: A CLINICIAN’S EXPERIENCE IN A BROKEN SYSTEM OF EMERGENCY PSYCHIATRY by Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker Lynn Nanos is going to be presented outside of my typical review style. To begin, I am going to write a personal note of accolades to the author:

Lynn, There is no one that can read your book BREAKDOWN and not give this book a 5 Star Review, as well as applaud your knowledge and efforts from your experience, and the factual statistics and vignettes you pro
Karen Prive
Strong argument for improving care for serious mental illness

As a crisis clinician, Lynn Nanos is familiar with the consequences of the destruction of our mental health system. She introduces the uninitiated reader to the nightmare of untreated psychosis, by sharing anonymous cases she has encountered as well as scientific research results. She notes that patients with untreated psychosis are very apt to have no understanding that they are ill - literally, their brains are not working correctly
Sharon Engdahl
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Breakdown: A Clinician’s Experience in a Broken System of Emergency Psychiatry by Lynn Nanos is a heart wrenching read for those who yearn for a humane society in America.
Everyone with a caring heart needs to read this book to see why an immediate improvement in public policies, hospital policies, and public education must happen so humane treatment is available to anyone who may fall ill to a physical mental health ailment. The masses need to rise up and take a stand for humanity; and, Breakdo
Kathleen Garber
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is about the breakdown of the mental health system, specifically in the United States and even more specifically in Massachusetts. Even though I’m in Canada and our health system is quite different, I was curious to see what Lynn had to say.

She explains how the treatment of the mentally ill has changed from the 1800s through to now, specifically about the deinstitutionalization era which was meant to not have so many people fully institutionalized (a good idea) but ended up kicking out
Anthony
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Review

As someone who has advocated for mental health awareness and seeks to improve and see the mental health education and rehabilitation of this world improve, this was a book that spoke volumes to me. The author does a spectacular job of presenting the struggles and heartbreak of the profession. From the book’s opening pages readers are shown the levels of illness and sad state of affairs for both the patients and the doctors attempting to treat them.

What really stuck out to me reading t
J. Peters
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lynn Nanos’s book Breakdown paints a bleak picture of the mental health system. Specifically, the book is based on her work in the state of Massachusetts as an emergency psychiatric social worker or clinician working with ‘patients’ (Nanos, Breakdown) with extreme psychiatric diagnoses i.e. psychosis or schizophrenia.

In the book’s introduction, Lynn states as clear as day, the population she has worked with the most during her tenure as an emergency clinician are also, in fact, the most problema
Kitt O'Malley
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lynn Nanos used her experiences working as a clinical social worker in the emergency mental health care system to write this much-needed wake up call. After dumping our most vulnerable seriously mentally ill patients out of state hospitals and onto the streets, we failed to treat them adequately in the community. Instead, we have a revolving emergency crisis-oriented system that does not provide stability or continuity of care. We must change our mental health care and health care systems NOW. I ...more
Donald Carroll
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This a very good book that outlines the problems and offers solutions to the American system of mental health care - in about every area that there is - from intake to long term help, programs, laws, and more. It references many types of patients - people who are bipolar, schizophrenic, and more. It references lots of great sources and outlines not only the problems (from a first-hand view) but also the best solutions to the processes at all levels.
Janet
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Breakdown is an important book on a serious topic – the treatment of the seriously mentally ill and involuntary commitment. Nanos writes from the perspective of someone who has been involved in using "Section 12" with schizophrenic and psychotic patients. Her work is both personal and thoroughly researched and provides a thoughtful approach to a difficult and controversial topic.
gj indieBRAG
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fred Fanning
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
I really enjoyed this book. The writer really shows how the system of Emergency Psychiatry is really broken. The book is well-written and full of evidence of how the system is broken. Anyone with an interest in Emergency Psychiatry really must read this book.
Cindy
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The truth about our broken mental health system in our country. The author’s experience is so similar to the experiences that I hear about over and over when communicating with loved ones of a mentally ill person. The book is well written and her examples are great.
Dovilė Dirsaitė
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great educating book if you ever wonder why mentally ill people remain untreated and eventually end up on the streets or prisoned. Can they even access proper treatment nowadays? This book reveals flaws of the broken system and encourages to start thinking about solutions.
Nora Jameson
Mar 15, 2019
Cassie Fleck
Apr 22, 2019

• Criticism Major Statements
  • ADHD & Autism Therapy for Kindergarten Kids: ASD, Self Esteem & Mindfulness Bedtime Books
  • Prey for The Dead
  • The Collected Schizophrenias: Essays
  • My Creative Space: How to Design Your Home to Stimulate Ideas and Spark Innovation
  • If You Did What I Asked in the First Place
  • The Clean Body: A Modern History
  • She Rode a Harley: A Memoir of Love and Motorcycles
  • Ruins of Fate (The Omni Towers, #0.5)
  • Never Say I Can't (... after stroke)
  • Anykščių šilelis
  • Suspended Sentence
  • Long Nose Legacy: A Dog's Story of Royalty and Loyalty
  • The Code Hunters
  • Crazy: A Father's Search Through America's Mental Health Madness
  • Daisy, Bold & Beautiful
  • Byzantine History in the 11th Century: A Brief Introduction
  • Brain Candy
Breakdown includes fifteen testimonials from well-known professionals, including attorneys, psychiatrists, authors, and professors!

Lynn Nanos is a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker who has a lot of experience as a full-time mobile emergency psychiatric clinician in Massachusetts. After graduating from Columbia University with a Master of Science in Social Work, she worked as an inpatien

News & Interviews