Start by marking “The Meaning of Life” as Want to Read:
The Meaning of Life

The Meaning of Life

To wonder too openly or intensely about the meaning of life can seem a peculiar, ill-fated and faintly ridiculous pastime. It can seem like a topic on which ordinary mortals cannot make much progress. In truth, it is for all of us to wonder about, define and work towards a more meaningful existence. This book presents a range of areas in which we might seek the meaning of ...more
Expected publication: January 7th 2020 by School of Life

To ask other readers questions about The Meaning of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Meaning of Life

Start your review of The Meaning of Life
Sharon
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I don't think I've ever highlighted so many passages from a single short book before. It's not the best book I've read, but it might actually be the most me book I've read.

This is a collection of snippets of writing on a variety of topics, musing on the meaning of life, just like The School of Life's content in other media like YouTube videos and blog posts. The vague and impersonal voice makes sweeping generalizations about what kinds of insecurities you, the reader, must have faced in your
Jannik
It contained many different approaches to find the meaning of life. Family, Love, Friendship, but also Nature and Philosophy, for instance. Altogether, it was an interesting experience to have set those in the context of the meaning of life. However, most of the content is elaborating ideas that you are already (kind of) aware of. This book rather reminds you of certain aspects regarding these topics. It is, therefore, a general and superficial read. I believe that many aspects could have been ...more
Niloy Mukherjee
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to pick this poignant and practical book up at a very timely moment of my life. Could not recommend it more highly to anyone wrestling with similar questions, there is joy in the effort.
Nicole Steinmetz
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wish there was a 6-star option. Not necessarily any new ideas, just a great reminder for everyone. The introduction and blurb let this book down, it's much better than it makes out to be.
Natalía Papadopoúlou
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
"A meaningful life is close to, but at points importantly different from, a happy life." Nowadays we often confuse the two. We also think meaning is something to be discovered, yet meaning is something we build individually. Interesting and short thought provoking read.
Augustine Onyechi
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m usually curious to know what these guys are talking about. I don’t always agree with their philosophies, but I find, occasionally, that they have something interesting to say.
My Han Lam
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It teaches me a lot of things. Thank you!
Daniel
Dan
Nov 14, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Status Anxiety
  • Self-Knowledge (Essay Books)
  • The Art of Living
  • The New Me
  • Illustration School: Let's Draw Magical Color
  • Be Happy: A Little Book to Help You Live a Happy Life
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • Living Wabi Sabi: The True Beauty of Your Life
  • The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Handmade Living: A Fresh Take on Scandinavian Style
  • A Mango-Shaped Space
  • The Decision Book: Fifty Models for Strategic Thinking
  • Notes on a Nervous Planet
  • The Future is Feminist: Radical, Funny, and Inspiring Writing by Women
  • The Angel: Act I (Isabella Rose #1)
  • Erebus: The Story of a Ship
  • Why Running Matters: Lessons in Life, Pain and Exhilaration – From 5K to the Marathon
The School of Life is a global organisation helping people lead more fulfilled lives.

We believe that the journey to finding fulfilment begins with self-knowledge. It is only when we have a sense of who we really are that we can make reliable decisions, particularly around love and work.

Sadly, tools and techniques for developing self-knowledge and finding fulfilment are hard to find – they’re not
“A meaningful life is close to, but at points importantly different from, a happy life.” 2 likes
“These good narrators accept that lives can be meaningful even when they involve a lot of failure and humiliation. Mistakes are not dead ends; they are sources of information that can be exploited and put to work as guides to more effective subsequent action.” 1 likes