Start by marking “Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)

Heartstopper: Volume One

(Heartstopper #1)

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  87,830 ratings  ·  16,670 reviews
Charlie, a highly-strung, openly gay over-thinker, and Nick, a cheerful, soft-hearted rugby player, meet at a British all-boys grammar school. Friendship blooms quickly, but could there be something more...?

Charlie Spring is in Year 10 at Truham Grammar School for Boys. The past year hasn't been too great, but at least he's not being bullied anymore. Nick Nelson is in Year
Published February 7th 2019 by Hodder Children's Books (first published September 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Heartstopper, please sign up.
☆ paula ☆ you're right - volume one contains chapters 1 and 2, volume two chapter 3, and volume three will contain chapter 4 :)…moreyou're right - volume one contains chapters 1 and 2, volume two chapter 3, and volume three will contain chapter 4 :)(less)
George Or you can read online, starting with https://heartstoppercomic.tumblr.com/....

(Don't worry if you can't read the pale-blue on white. See https://www.…more
Or you can read online, starting with https://heartstoppercomic.tumblr.com/....

(Don't worry if you can't read the pale-blue on white. See https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..., where it's helpfully transcribed. And note that Laura's characterization of the guys as "soft" must be some Aussie-to-Yank mistransmission. They're both of them tough in all the right ways.)(less)

·  87,830 ratings  ·  16,670 reviews

Start your review of Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
Alice Oseman
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Heartstopper started as a tiny passion project and now it's a whole book. WHAT. Nick and Charlie have been close to my heart ever since I wrote them into my first book SOLITAIRE in 2012, and I'm so, SO happy to be telling their story while also doing the thing I always said I wanted to do when I grew up - make comics.

Read the comic online:
Kat
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
each time i read this it just gets better and better
Kai
I'm here to tell you that nothing is as precious as Nick & Charlie falling for each other so do not deprive yourself of this experience.

Ariel
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHAT A SWEET BOY THIS BOOK IS! I can absolutely see why fans of this series are so into it: it has wonderful characters, a super sweet relationship, and constant "eee!!!" moments. <3 ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 8/20/19: I still love this SO! DANG! MUCH! Charlie and Nick are too pure and my heart is positively soaring. ALSO: This (as well as Volume 2!) are the Sassy Book Club picks for the month of August! The live-show will be on Friday, August 30th at 7pm PST on Kassie's channel. We hope to see you there!

Original read 11/23/19: Uhm hello this is MY FAVORITE GRAPHIC NOVEL EVER. I have never swooned so hard in my life omg
Emma Giordano
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars!
April (Aprilius Maximus)
1.) Heartstopper Volume 1 ★★★★★
2.) Heartstopper Volume 2 ★★★★★
3.) Heartstopper Volume 3 ★★★★★

------------------------------------------------

2019 update - OMG I AM STILL OBSESSED WITH THIS.

OMG I AM OBSESSED WITH THIS.
daph pink ♡
not to be dramatic but Netflix adaptation announcement is currently the most exciting thing in the world to me

STAN NICK AND CHARLIE FOR BETTER SKIN💙
Gabby
This book is insanely adorable and I can't wait to read more about these characters.
C.G. Drews
excuse me but this is the absolute cutest thing I have encountered and I am simply heart-eyes over it. I already adore Radio Silence and I Was Born for This (although I haven't yet read Solitaire which is slightly bad because this is a spin-off from that one) and I adore her work. But the art??? An entire book of the most adorakable and expressive yet simple artwork was just...😍😍

this book is soft™ and they are so young and sweet and wholesome.

i also have such a soft spot for books about realisin
✨    jamieson   ✨
Dec 21 Update

bitch !!!!!

*aggressively wishes happiness and joy upon them*

Nov 11 Update

MY HEART LITERALLY HAS EXPLODED OUT OF MY CHEST THEY ARE TOO CUTE I AM DECEASED !!

*slams fist on table* THIS IS THE CUTEST SHIT I'VE EVER READ

So this is basically a webcomic available for free here about two boys falling in love. One is openly out as gay and the other is sort of figuring out his bisexuality and the two of them are just dfsdjkd so freakin cute

!!!!!!

If you're a sucker for fluffy romance this is
Whitney Atkinson
I had no idea this book was going to be part one of a many part series, so I am SHOCKED and BETRAYED by that cliffhanger!!!!

This is such a sweet story about Charlie and Nick's developing friendship and feelings. I loved how supportive Nick was in both being a friend and a teammate to Charlie, and in turn, I liked how this wasn't really a story about Charlie coming to terms with his sexuality; he was already out and proud, and he was just grappling with feelings for this supposed straight guy. I
Larry H
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alice Oseman's Heartstopper is a beautifully poignant graphic novel about identity, friendship, crushes, and the flush of first love.

Most people in school seem to know that Charlie is gay. He’s taken some bullying for it, and it’s toyed with his self-esteem and what he thinks he deserves in terms of relationships, but for the most part, life isn’t too bad.

One day Charlie gets assigned to a new classroom and sits next to Nick Nelson, who is a grade ahead of him. Nick is tall, muscular, popula
She-who-must-not-be-named
Somewhere between debating on reading this to sacrificing my eating and bathroom needs for this, I journeyed through this book.
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I think I’ll go with one of my “my thoughts about this comic” reviews here! Because you already know most of them if you’ve read my continuing "Heartstopper” webcomic review. ;-)

1.) “Are you okay?”

I think I never mentioned this before but I just love Charlie’s sister Tori. She’s so caring and always seems to look right through her brother. Her knowing smile when Charlie left to meet Nick and the hug she gave him when he couldn’t put his feelings into proper words. <333 She’s just amazing and #Si
Andrea Ashwood
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-books, favorites
Why I haven't read this before??!!

The most lovely story I read for too many time.🥰
And that end?! Why?! Need the 2nd RN...

SEND HELP

Review coming soon...
Charlotte May
How adorable!

3.5 ⭐️

This was my first graphic novel and it was so damn cute!

Charlie and Nick are one school year apart, they've never spoken before until they are seated next to each other in their tutor group.
Soon their acquaintance evolves into friendship. Charlie joins the school rugby team that Nick is on and they realise they have more in common than they first thought.

There is so much more to this book than meets the eye. Characters discovering their sexuality, dealing with bullying and
chan ☆
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHOLESOME. GAY.

this was so lovely, and it's not even over!!!!!! the story follows nick & charlie and honestly i am just so blessed by them and this comic.

it's a simple comic about friendship & discovering your sexuality.

the reading format was a little strange to get used to for me (lots of scrolling) but the art work was SO DAMN CUTE. the story was cute and the art work was just perfectly suited to it.

all in all, you gotta read this. not much else to say.
lily ☁️
Hi hello hi my name is Lily, and these two precious boys own my heart. Oh, and you definitely want this wholesome, pure, and wonderful book in your life.

Also … I may have teared up, when I received my signed copy. :’)

My first signed and doodled-in copy, and it’s one of my favorite books. 😭💖

I guess I’ll be spending my winter break rereading HEARTSTOPPER 🤷🏻‍♀️✨🎄❄️ pic.twitter.com/OH50rrCBMR

— Lily ☁️ (@sprnklsofdreams) December 24, 2018

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | TumblrTwitter
demi. ♡
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, graphic-novels
❥ 5 / 5 stars

OMGGGGGGGG You’re gonna kill me, right? Why did it have to end like this??? 😱😱
I. NEED. TO. READ. THE. SECOND. VOLUME. LIKE. FOR. NOWWWWWW!!!

Heartstopper Volume One : review
Heartstopper Volume Two : review
Heartstopper Volume Three : review
 Teodora
Oh my god...I'm...literally in tears.... ...more
Romie
rereading this again and again is self-care, I don't make the rules (4.75) ...more
Warda
Okay, I wanted a lot more from the story.
But I now need Volume Two pronto!
Lauren Lanz
This is the happy pill us grouches called humanity need.

While reading Heartstopper I quite literally sat in my room sipping my drink, smiling around the straw because what a cute love story! Simple drawings, great characters, and a whole lot of wholesome <3

Thank the lord for Alice Oseman. I just received more than a healthy amount of joy reading about Charlie and Nick. I’m almost certain that although I smiled a lot during this graphic novel, there were a ton of times I didn’t even take note of
s.penkevich
Apr 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, graphic_novel, love
Was this absolutely adorable? YES. Do I need to immediately read them all? Also yes. Heartstopper by Alice Oseman is such a sweet and lovely graphic novel of two boys on the cusp of romance that will certainly give you all the feels and feel relatable for anyone who has ever loved. Seriously, reading this I was suddenly 16 again going through the bittersweet maelstrom of emotions of a first big crush and all the swirling feelings of euphoria and anxiety that come with it. This book is absolutely ...more
may ➹
oh my god, this is literally THE CUTEST thing I’ve ever read??? I’M SCREAMING. I’m actually in love with Nick & Charlie and I just binged the whole thing in the last half hour. I don’t know how I’m going to wait for all the updates but whatever!!!! I’ll just keep rereading it!!!!!
human
dispatcher: 911, what's your emergency?

me: hello, i'd like to report a robbery. the victim? my heart.

dispatcher: ma'am, that's not a-

me: aLSO THE REST OF THE VOLUMES AREN'T ON LIBBY AND THAT'S A GODDAMN CRIME.
Kevin (Irish Reader)
April 17th 2020: Reread and once again 5 stars! Loved it so much the second time around! I also read this during the Stay Home Reading Rush and talked about it in a vlog on my YouTube channel, you can watch the video here for more of my thoughts: https://youtu.be/JC-O73cVhfI ...more
Ashley Nuckles

• Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • Cemetery Boys
  • Fence, Vol. 4: Rivals
  • Boyfriend Material
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • The Black Flamingo
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante, #1)
  • Check, Please!, Book 2: Sticks & Scones
  • Mooncakes
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
Alice Oseman is an author/illustrator and was born in 1994 in Kent, England. She has written four YA contemporary novels about teenage disasters: SOLITAIRE, RADIO SILENCE, I WAS BORN FOR THIS, and LOVELESS. She is also the creator of LGBTQ+ YA romance webcomic HEARTSTOPPER, which is now published in physical form by Hachette Children's Books.

Alice’s first novel SOLITAIRE was published when she was

Heartstopper (5 books)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Four (Heartstopper #4)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Five (Heartstopper, #5)

Articles featuring this book

Author and illustrator Alice Oseman is known to her long-time fans for her young adult novels about—as she calls them—"teenage disasters,"...
“You can't tell whether people are gay by what they look like. And gay or straight aren't the only two options.” 62 likes
“Would you kiss me?"