Start by marking “After Anatevka: Live” as Want to Read:
After Anatevka: Live

After Anatevka: Live

A special live performance to satisfy Fiddler on the Roof fans who have long wondered what became of Tevye’s beloved family. Experience an enthralling performance featuring a cast of rising Broadway stars who join actress and author Alexandra Silber in celebrating the Audible release of After Anatevka, the sweeping historical novel she wrote about Tevye’s second-eldest dau ...more
Audible Audio
Published October 4th 2018 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about After Anatevka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Anatevka

Erin
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
An Audible original selection for October, this live theatre teaser for Alexandra Silber's book After Anatevka. I am a big musical fan and Fiddler on the Roof is one if my faves. I loved every part of this listening experience and went happily to use a credit to snag the book!
Chrissie
This is free advertising! This is promotion for After Anatevka: A Novel Inspired by Fiddler on the Roof, its author and other performers.

This Audible Original is one of the six offered free to Audible.com members this month, October 2018. It is a live musical performance. The author of the above-mentioned book, Alexandra Silber, reads and dramatically interprets a few favorite chapters from her own book. Each chapter is followed by a song. The songs are either cuts from earlier Fiddler on the Ro
LeeTravelGoddess
Nov 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Meh. They’re singing. Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh, make it stop!
Jan
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a short audiobook (just a little over an hour). It's one of October's free audiobooks for members of Audible. The author originally wrote a book about what happened after the end of Fiddler on the Roof--especially what happened to Hodel (the second oldest daughter) after she boarded the train for Siberia to join her revolutionary fiance. Alexandra Silber is also an actress and she played Hodel in a production of Fiddler on London's West End.

This recording contains excerpts from her book
Tena Edlin
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh, at best. Just a taste of the book, really, and while I liked the author’s speaking/narrating voice, her singing voice was not my cup of tea. I did like the idea of revisiting the characters of Anatevka, but I don’t think I’d ever read the full novel.
Olga Lukinskaya
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, english, theater
Очень понравилось. Вообще аудиоспектакли — прелесть, спасибо Audible!
Fragmentage
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: popsugar-2018
enjoyable but rather short. clever promo for the book though ;)
Becky
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Artistic creativity at its best! Does this count as a book read? This is an audible original of excerpts from Alexandra Silber's writing, including music from "Fiddler On The Roof" and original musical pieces creating a touching work of art depicting how life could have been after Anatevka and also life between the lines of "Fiddler On The Roof."
Lauren
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
After Anatevka is Alexandra Silber’s passion protect - after playing and developing a deep connection to both Hodel and Tzeitel in major productions of Fiddler on both sides of the pond, Silber wrote a novel (which from the sound of the GR reviews is pretty grimdark). Then Symphony Space commissioned songs to accompany several chapters, and finally, Audible recorded a concert presentation and let its listeners download it for free. Which is where I come in.

Like I said, it’s a passion project. Si
Tawnee
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Definitely not something I would normally pick, but it was one of the free audible selections for October. I actually really enjoyed it. It was beautiful and a quick thing to listen to.
Chase
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
It is not everyday that you get to turn your book inspired by a musical into a musical for a book reading. But that is what happened in August for Silber. With 3 songs from Fiddler on the Roof and the rest new songs written just for her, this is an amazing session of song and book reading. I am glad I read the book first as much of the richness would have been missed especially since she didn't do the book reading in order.
Deb Bartram
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Total vanity piece
Megan
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Fans of Fiddler on the Roof will enjoy this unique audible production. Alexandra Silber wrote a "What happened to Hodel and Perchik", after they leave the family and board a train for Siberia.
Alexandra has a unique viewpoint to represent these characters. She played Hodel in a British production of Fiddler, and then later played in another production as Tzeitel.
Some of the chapters of her sequel had songs written for them, and this production is a mish-mash of a few songs from the original, the
KyneWynn
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the premise of this - and was expecting a book - but it was actually readings from the book along with musical performances and commentary from the author about her experience in performing in Fiddler on the Roof, as well as writing the book. Once becoming accustomed to what it was - I rather enjoyed the performance, which takes a look at what Huddls life was like in far-away Siberia, and what became of her family.
Amy
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Context: I’ve enjoyed Fiddler however, I am by no means an avid attendee of musicals nor do I have any sort of classical training.

I expected this to be more of a story depicting what occurred after Fiddler on the Roof, rather than excerpts combined with music. It was interesting but not my cup of tea.
Donna
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading “AFTER ANATEVKA LIVE” audible book edition by ALEXANDRA SILBER and narrated by cast members of “FIDDLER ON THE ROOF”. A special live performance to satisfy Fiddler on the Roof fans who have long wondered what became of Tevye’s beloved family. Experience an enthralling performance featuring a cast of rising Broadway stars who join actress and author Alexandra Silber in celebrating the Audible release of After Anatevka, the sweeping historical novel she wrote about Tevye’s s ...more
Catherine Puma
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is really enjoyable to listen to, IF you know what you're getting into. Alexandra Silber is a singer, actress, and writer who has performed in "Fiddler on the Roof" and wrote a novel inspired by the musical, called "After Anatevka". This is an audio recording of Silber reading passages from her book and performing certain songs commissioned to accompany those sections.

I would recommend this to those who have seen "Fiddler on the Roof", read Silber's "After Anatevka", are theatre buffs or m
S Napier
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love musicals, especially Fiddler on the Roof. I was so looking forward to this Audible Original, but sadly it did not resonate with me. Two things that disappointed me: 1) To get the full experience, you’ll really need to know the names dropped in the book and I simply don’t know the acting scene (at all) so I just felt mildly irritated by the constant back patting and references to “genius” so-and-so. 2) The original songs were... disappointing. When I watch a musical, I am carried away to t ...more
Megan
Nov 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
There's nothing wrong with writing and selling your fanfiction of famous works (in this case Fiddler on the Roof), it's a centuries old tradition at this point, but this isn't even that. This is a sample of that, and you would need to be really invested in either the author or the original play (like, really, really invested) to find this anything but okay.

It was a bit like wandering into a gala by mistake, lots of name dropping and back patting for people you've likely never heard of. The actua
Jaymie
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is unusual and does have some fun storytelling and beautiful singing. If you enjoy watching the PBS specials with different Broadway and operatic stars who introduce their songs with an anecdote or background, tell a few stories, and sing often, you may very well enjoy this. That being said, this is the kind of performance that I would likely enjoy watching in person much more than just listening to. As many other reviews have mentioned, it is a sort of free advertising for the actual book. ...more
Annie Fyfe
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, musical
We got this audible original since it had to do with musicals, and we love musicals. However, it wasn't exactly what I expected but also wasn't totally disappointing. This was a performance the author gave live explaining the story and incorporating songs into her performance. It wasn't a full reading of the book, which is what I expected. But we got the backstory of the book and songs she may have wanted to incorporate. Really all it did was make me want to read the actual book she wrote. It al ...more
Richard Magahiz
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the recording of a performance of excerpts from the author's novel by the same name interspersed with musical numbers, offered by Audible for free as one of their monthly lineups. It was pleasant enough, not terribly polished or anything, without being a full blown work in itself. It would mainly appeal to those listeners who have a deep attachment to Fiddler On the Roof and the Sholem Aleichem stories and are looking for a little something more involving some of the same characters.
Amanda
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audible 2018:

I did not really know what to expect when I went into this listening/book/performance, but it was gorgeous and transformative. I'm very interested in the book it was about, as well as the musical even more. I think it was gorgeously presented, backgrounded, and the singing was truly gorgeous.
Sarah Davis
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!
Seeing the words of this utterly magical book come to life through music and the words of the author herself, truly something spectacular.
Read the book, listen to the audio book, listen to this concert.
So absolutely amazing!!!
This could be converted into it's own musical it's so good.
Daisy_walden
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun and interesting audio interview style book from Alexandra Silber who played Tzeitel on Broadway and then later played Hodel on Broadway. She was so in love with the characters that she created a story of what the sister's lives are like after Anatevka, and even created some origional songs to go along.
Katy Wilmotte
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I haven't read Silber's book, but if in my future life as an author I am ever given the chance to read excerpts of my work before an audience, I hope I do it with as much passion and enthusiasm as Silber does here.

Alan
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Enjoyed on a long flight
John Fisher
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it

While this presentation highlights some wonderful singing from the original score, the story of Hodel really didn't keep my attention and I soon lost interest.
Suellen
Audible Originals short listen
Bari Dzomba
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you loved Fiddler on the Roof you will love this sort of sequel!
Alexandra Silber is an actress, Grammy-nominated singer, and writer.
She recently starred most as Tzeitel in the Broadway revival of Fiddler on the Roof. She earlier played Hodel in a revival of the same show in London’s West End. It was those two roles which inspired her to write After Anatevka.

Other Broadway and West End credits include Master Class, Arlington (Outer Critics Circle nomination),