Start by marking “Paranoid” as Want to Read:
Paranoid

Paranoid

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Lisa Jackson comes a new novel of nerve-jangling suspense as a woman haunted by guilt realizes that nothing can be trusted—not even her own memory …

There are people in Edgewater, Oregon, who think that twenty years ago, Rachel Gaston got away with murder.

Rachel still has no idea how a foolish teenaged game turned deadly—or who
Hardcover, first, 387 pages
Published June 25th 2019 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Paranoid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paranoid

Start your review of Paranoid
Kylie D
I'd just about given up on psychological thrillers, the ones I've read lately being predictable, yet this one sounded like it could be intriguing, so I gave it a go. Boy am I glad I did.

We have divorced mum Rachel, caring for her two teenage children, whilst trying to keep her ex-husband at arms length. Rachel loves her children, but tends to cloister them, for Rachel is scared that something might happen to them. Rachel is actually scared of EVERYTHING, for in her past, in a teenage game gone
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
20 years ago a carefree, teenage game in an abandoned cannery warehouse turns deadly. The group of teenagers were supposed to be shooting pellet guns, no one was supposed to get hurt. So how did Luke end up dead?

His half-sister, Rachel, was initially blamed for the shooting but with no gun shot residue evident on her hands the case never made it far. Although she was never found guilty, Rachel has lived with the guilt of Luke's death for the last 20 years. With no one held accountable, that
Linda
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Paranoia strikes deep. Into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid. You step out of line, the man come and take you away." (Stephen Stills)

Fear seeps into this one. Lean back twenty years ago into Edgewater, Oregon. Place your feet on the uneven terrain surrounding the abandoned Sea View Cannery. Teenage kids looking for a thrill around midnight. They've brought pellet guns to scare the crap out of one another. But someone is hiding in the pitch black shadows with the real
Luvtoread
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
There are noises in the house, or are there? There are footsteps on the stairs, or are there? There are doors left cracked opened or were they ever closed? There are feelings of someone watching you when no-one is around. There are chills running up your neck. Why? Are you really alone or is someone else around you who shouldn't be there. Real vs the unreal. PARANOID??

The book centers around divorced mother of two Rachel Ryder, her two teenaged children and her ex-husband Cade Ryder with a slew
Roz
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars ?

Ugh, it's really hard to rate this one. I'm rounding it up to 3 stars, because maybe the stress of the house renovations are part of the reason of me not enjoying this that much.

It took me a while to get into it and the revelations weren't as exciting as I hoped, but my main issue was the kids. OMG, those kids, they couldn't be stupider. I don't think teenagers are like that, right? I hate it when authors push the story through the stupidity of kids.. it was not fun, I was so angry.
Alexandra Charron
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
goddamnit, WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE XANAX?!?!
Robin Loves Reading
When Rachel Gaston was a teenager she got involved in a dangerous game. This involvement led to the tragic death of her brother Luke. Acquitted from the crime, it is now twenty years later. Someone is bound and determined to make her pay for Luke's death.

Rachel had quite a bit of counseling and even had a nice life for a while. She married and had two children. However, her nightmares and anxiety have a profound affect on her and she and husband, Detective Cade Ryder divorced. They are good
Faith Hurst-Bilinski
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
20 years ago some kids were playing paintball in an abandoned building with huge holes in the floor and no lights. So they were pretty stupid. Then Luke was shot for real and his sister (or half sister as keeps getting pointed out for some strange reason) is arrested for the death. Somehow, she didn't know that she had a real gun. And then the gun was gone and she was cleared. The description makes it sound as if she is ostracized for the murder and getting away with it, but there is very little ...more
Paul Petrone
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Poorly written, terrible character development, plot was senseless and absolutely nothing to say. Can’t believe this book has such a high score on GoodReads - there are many better novels out there.
Chris
Aug 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Probably the second worst book I've read this year. The book could easily be cut by a third if all the reduncy was deleted. How many times do we need to be told Rachel was accused of killing her brother or so and sk was at the cannery that night. This author is on my Do Not Read list.
Deb
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book had mystery, suspense, and some romance. It moved along quickly. The ending seemed a little bit rushed, but all in all I think it was a solid read.
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
You have to read this book just to get to the last chapter and be blown away. Jackson can take you on a roller-coaster ride like no other. I really did enjoy this read.
4 stars and My stamp of approval on this one. Such a fun ride this book was.
Lakerkat
Aug 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
I don’t think I was supposed to root for the killer to kill all the stupid characters in this book.
Ann
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Almost quit reading multiple times. There was a lot of repetition. The two murder victims were girls that spoke up for Rachel 20 years ago, and the reader has to be told that 100 times...why? And the police work was minimal and their thought processes on events was a large part of the book, but they just kept thinking THE SAME THINGS, first one character, then the next, then the next. Boring. Even Rachel had the same thoughts over and over.
The ending was good but kind of corny. There was enough
Lisa-Books Smiles
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Teynidhi Ramsewak
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
decent :) outlandishly predictable but still very enjoyable.
Jannelies
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
I was amazed to discover that I didn't write a review for this book. And although I usually really love Lisa Jacksons books, I think the fact that I even had to re-read a part of the book says something. Yes, it is well-written. Yes, I can imagine the killing of a young boy leaves trails even twenty years later. But what a strange story this is, with far too many characters. A bunch of people that never left the small village, who all married each other or each other's family, with divorces and ...more
Jennifer Ladd
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Yes there is a massive twist at the end but you have to read so much bad to get there
Maranda
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is Rachel PARANOID? Is her fear REAL or is it IRRATIONAL? Most watch a scary movie and then hear every bump and squeak in the house and see shadows out the window. And so a trauma that took place in the PAST can have an effect on ones life and the people around them. Guilt haunts and keeps one from enjoying life and love. Jackson wrote an intense crime drama that had me figuring out the mystery and then changing my mind the more pages I read. In depth characters and prose. Not telling anymore= ...more
Ad Rocks Socks (semi hiatus)

This was my first Lisa Jackson book, and I enjoyed it. A 3 star rating seems to be a bit low for something I really enjoyed, but I have my reasons.

(Off topic note: Every time I look at the title of this book, my mind starts playing the Jonas Brothers song of the same name. In fact, it’s playing through my head right now.)

Paranoid is a suspenseful thriller set in the town of Edgewater in Oregon. Twenty years back, Rachel Gaston accidentally killed her half-brother during a shooting game
Rachel
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars

There is more to this 4 Star Thriller than just your average chasing of a bad guy. Although there is a lot of bad guy chasing, it's also about family and the complicated relationships within families.

SUMMARY
The story opens with a patient in a psychologists office under hypnosis recalling the traumatic past experience of seeing someone with whom she is very close being shot to death. This shooting has repercussions beyond the obvious loss of life, it also changes the lives of many people
Elizabeth

Rachel still has no idea how a foolish teenaged game turned deadly—or who replaced her soft pellet air gun with a real weapon. When a figure leapt out at her from the darkness, she fired without thinking. Too late, she recognized her half-brother, Luke, and saw blood blooming around his chest.

Despite counseling, Rachel’s horrifying dreams about that night continue. Her anxiety contributed
Landpomeranze
A 20-year-old mysterious death as the reason for some murders in the present time. I like books with storylines in the past and present and I wanted to know who killed Luke. And who took revenge. But honestly: those family relations were pretty hard to keep track of. At least for me. There were a few twists and turns and Luke's murder was revealed more or less "on the run", almost as an afterthought. Yes it was easy to read but I felt let down, the characters seemd hollow somehow and those ...more
Melissa
Aug 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book seemed to take forever to finish. I was completely bored. Character development is absolutely terrible. This is the second Lisa Jackson book I’ve read and at this point I doubt I’ll ever pick up another one.
The Coycaterpillar Reads
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A guilt left obvious. A dead sibling. Can a town ever truly move on from its bloody past? This is the situation that Rachel is left with after being involved in stupid teenaged game that went horribly wrong. Rachel fired the gun that inadvertently killed her half brother. His dying face haunts her existence to this day – twenty years on. Guilt plagues her even though she was acquitted of the murder. She believed she had taken his life but did she? This is a story of Fear, loss and the complexity ...more
VickiLee
Twenty years ago, in small town America, a young man was shot to death during a dangerous game in a warehouse. His half-sister is the suspect, but she is acquitted. Today the ugliness of that crime is resurrected by a spate of murders, all seemingly linked to the old crime. I liked this novel for its sheer storytelling strength. Broken families, defiant teenagers, suspicious behaviour, unrequited love - all blend into an interesting read.
Jennifer Stanley
I so much wanted to read this book because the description painted this horrific event that still haunts the lead character 20 years later. And people are dying on the anniversary!! I was sold and could not wait.

Then I started the book and quickly found it lacking. I knew there would be a lot of backstory since the events from 20 years ago affect what is happening in the current time of the story. But adding the family drama of a divorced couple who is still mad at each other two years later;
Sharon
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfect title for this book. Twenty years ago, did Rachel accidentally kill her stepbrother or did someone else intentionally murder him? That day drastically changed Rachel's world. Now on the 20th anniversary of her brother's death, friends that were at the scene of her brother's death, are being targeted and killed. Is it a coincidence? Lots of twists!
Thank you to Goodreads for allowing me to win this book during a giveaway.
Meigan
20 years ago, Rachel and her friends were playing a seemingly innocent game when tragedy struck — what was supposed to be a toy gun turned out to be real, and someone died. The entire town knows of the tragedy that took place so many years ago, and there are even some who don’t believe it was an accident at all. Flash forward to present day — Rachel’s high school reunion is coming up and strange things are happening around Rachel. Is it her imagination, or is there something truly happening ...more
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I’m sorry but I need to vent!! I know I’m in the minority here... but wow this book was infuriating. None of the characters were likable, they were all incredibly shallow and flat. The plot was bland and predictable.

But, back to characters and the reason for the need to vent...the teenagers. Wow. I mean, I know teenagers are difficult (as I was one in the not too distant past) but during the whole book I felt like the grumpy old lady whining about the wild ‘hoodlums’ with their baggy
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 14 Jun 30, 2019 07:32AM

• Bad Things
  • Outfox
  • Smokescreen (Eve Duncan, #25)
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • The Stranger Inside
  • The Inn
  • The Shape of Night
  • Under Currents
  • Killer Instinct (Instinct #2)
  • Unsolved (Invisible, #2)
  • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • The Seekers (Krewe of Hunters #28)
  • Shamed (Kate Burkholder, #11)
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross, #27)
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
  • The Stalking (Krewe of Hunters #29)
  • Someone We Know

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver. She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a