Start by marking “Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation” as Want to Read:
Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation

Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation

(魔道祖师)

As the grandmaster who founded the Demonic Sect, Wei WuXian roamed the world in his wanton ways, hated by millions for the chaos he created. In the end, he was backstabbed by his dearest shidi and killed by powerful clans that combined to overpower him. He incarnates into the body of a lunatic who was abandoned by his clan and is later, unwillingly, taken away by a famous ...more
Published by jjwxc (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, please sign up.
Karo Sadly, there's no official English translation that you could purchase. There's only a fan translation by Exiled Rebels Scanlations and you can find…moreSadly, there's no official English translation that you could purchase. There's only a fan translation by Exiled Rebels Scanlations and you can find it on their website.(less)
Emmitouflee You can read the translated version on Exiled Rebel Scanlations' website.

Start your review of Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Alcohol is cool, but have you ever had someone love you as much as Wangxian love each other? Me neither, pass the bottle.

P.S. If you haven’t yet read this novel, or watched the live action adaptation on Netflix (The Untamed), or watched the donghua on YouTube...I’m begging you to please stop being your worst enemy, and let Wei WuXian and Lan WangJi into your life. Thank you.
Kat
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best translated c-novels out there. Exiled Rebels' translation quality is excellent. And the book itself, is a holy wow.

Before anything, this novel is categorized as BL, or boy love. So yes there is a gay romance. But don't let that stop you from reading this masterpiece. This novel is 10% super slowly hinted romance (the best kind), 10% complex relationships with side characters, and 80% killing demons and solving mysteries. It's basically an epic adventure. The character
Silvia
Love is real wangxian told me

YES I read it again and WHAT about it

Anyway this was even better after having read it once and having watched The Untamed (cql) and seeing XZ and WYB and all the cql actors in my mind while I was reading!!

So yeah you all can read it here in English (I'm not sure where in Chinese) and you SHOULD!!! but also please maybe check out the trigger warnings and also I highly recommend starting maybe with the donghua or the manhua just so you can at least start getting to
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
the last chapter (113) of the main story just got translated so i can officially give this all the stars and then cry

i would attempt to write a review but it's gonna be semi-coherent but i have SO MUCH LOVE TO GIVE rly love the story, rly love the characters, gays WON

blease read it (or at least watch the anime) i beg

this is what happens when one disaster gay who can't communicate falls in love with one disaster bisexual who can't take a hint (for 100 damn chapters across several YEARS)

also the
amy ☂︎
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favs, 2020
i have never met a character that has more crackhead energy than wei wuxian
Christine
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christine did you just reread a 570k novel that you are also currently experiencing as an animated series, a comic adaptation, and a live action?

YES. YES, THIS IS WHAT IS HAPPENING. No regrets.
Xia Xia
Okay, let's face it.
I cannot possibilitygive MDZS 5 stars from a literary perspective and it breaks my heart I need to remove 1 star for the following:
1. Omniscient narrator with too much telling. I am being told the thoughts, emotions and characters' reasons for acting in one wayor another
2. Too many flashbacks snicking on the reader at the wrong time e.g as the MCs are about to have sex.
3. An ending that was too subtle for my tastes (but the ending was compensated by the 14 extras available,
Irenecsi
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, adventure
I ONLY GIVE 5 STARS BECAUSE GOODREADS DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO SCORE HIGHER!

TEN STARS EASY!!!!!!
Acqua
Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation? Not as accurate as one would think! (More accurate names: The Longest "No Homo" in History, The Dangers of Bad PR and Next-Level Villain Baiting).

This is deeply flawed to begin with, and wanted me to be into the romance far more than I actually was, and it's 1000+ pages long and also falls in my most-hated trope in m/m books, which is the part where every single female character is either evil, irrelevant or dead, often a combination of the three.
However, my
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Seriously, provide me the ending as well. And not just leave it like this.
Mariana♛
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me to this book:

I want to commit the self killing! There are no words that could precisely describe this amazing journey. I had fun, so much that I laughed so hard my stomach hurted. I also felt sad, I DEEEFINITELY cried (like a weak-hearted bithc), and I felt all this emotions within this book that allowed me to feel them within myself too. This story was quite amazing in a sense that it filled me in a strange yet unique way no other book has ever done so.
AUTHOR, I really hope you're having a
caravaggion
BIHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST FINISHED IT AND IM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY ARE THEY LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok but like, besides my incoherent screaming, this was actually suspensefull af? and the creepy
Sherwood Smith
Curious about the novel behind the series The Untamed, which series turns out is faithful to the novel, good and not so good.

The translation into English is full of errors in spelling, grammar, and proper use of actual English words, but it was done by an unpaid volunteer out of generosity, so readers who get poked out of the reading experience by that sort of thing should know that going in, be prepared, and be grateful at least there's a translation.

The plot is bent around BL, so don't look
E.
this 5 stars is for making me cry so much and breaking my heart into million pieces but it's also for me for finishing this behemoth... let's pour a one out for my eyes because they have rotten over from all this crying and staring at my laptop...

this is so gorgeous and intense and i love them so so much!!!
rike
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqties, 2020
absolutely don't know what to say about this and i believe a lot of people have said enough as it is. the two stars are solely for the tree & the confession and the comedy of the junior quartet scenes, that's that.

other than that, stream the untamed on netflix
Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn)

2nd round (reread):-

Decided to re-read this while waiting for the rest of the anime episodes to be subbed. I was at around episode 13 or so and the anime is really good. And the manhua was awesome too. So I was driven to reread this novel once again since the first round I was rather overwhelmed and confused by the amount of characters in the book and got myself lost a couple of times.

Rereading the novel after watching the anime and reading the manhua managed to give me clearer picture of the
julia ☆ [owls reads]
my entire life is Lan Zhan/Wei Ying now

˗ˏˋ eg ˎˊ˗
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, read-2019
[read up to chapter 94]

Proud to announce the adoption of my new son, Wei WuXian
Yeyu
Interesting to see this also so hyped on goodreads. I actually rated it 3 stars on saowen since that was the threshold for just ok on that platform, but 2 stars here as it represents just ok on goodreads.

My review is strictly based on the Chinese version and not the translation nor any other adaptions.

Pros:

- Good pacing that keeps you reading and entertained, despite the predictable plot. There were definitely flaws, but it was entertaining enough for me to disregard them. Perhaps I was not
Silvia
[read up to chapter 73]

oh my god what the – THIS IS GAY GAY
Nessa
Fan-translation is complete and be found on https://www.novelupdates.com/series/t...
and also the TL site https://exiledrebelsscanlations.com/g...

Alternative names: Mo Dao Zu Shi; The Founder of Diabolism; The Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation;
Dylan
THIS BOOK HURT AND IT HURTS SO GOOD.
˗ˏˋ eg ˎˊ˗
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, lgbt, read-2019
gonna quit my job so I can lie on the floor and cry about this all day without interruption!! thank you for supporting my life decisions
Vee
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"You're born with a smiling face. Always smiling. Never mind too much about sorrowful things. No matter how bad the situation you're in is, you can always be happy."

You know when you find a story you want to carry with you forever? A story that makes you smile in melancholy when you close your eyes? This is one of them.
emma
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i would just like you all to know that if i hadn't spent the last three months exclusively reading mdzs fics i would definitely have actually finished my goodreads challenge by now.

also pls read this. it's very gay and has swords and slow-burn pining and a *chef's kiss* plot.
Anna C
Storytelling : 4 stars
World building : 4 stars

4 stars for chap 1-72

UPDATE (2019/08/20)

Now the live action has 15 different language subtitles for first episodes. Scary and crazy, the team of The Untamed, I mean. But I'm so happy that means now even more people can enjoy this wonderful drama. I'm currently on episode 36, waiting for episode 50 to be released this Thursday so I can start binge watch to the end. I'm deliberately
Ash | Wild Heart Reads
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bi-bi-bi
WEI YING AND LAN ZHAN INVENTED LOVE AND THAT'S THAT
Miss Susan
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
okay i can totally see why this was the mxtx novel that caught on, it's such a FUN ride

wei wuxian is really out here being an extremely extra and annoying extrovert. i love him. i'm glad lan wangji loves him too. this former edgelord turned benign troll deserves happiness!

and while the romance is top tier the plot is also really engaging? i thought the flashback to present structure was written really effectively, like the way they paralleled each other highlighted so much about how the
Lucia Rukia
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, I can't believe I found its transcript. It is one of my best love novels in my life. Always feel as breathtaking as the first time read it. Want to read it in Chinese some day.

• The Legendary Master’s Wife
  • The Earth is Online [地球上線]
  • 二哈和他的白猫师尊 The Husky and His White Cat Shizun
  • The Reader and Protagonist Definitely Have to be in Love
  • Quickly Wear the Face of the Devil
  • 杀破狼 [Sha Po Lang]
  • Transmigrating into a Mob Character to Rehabilitate the Villain Plan
  • Rebirth of a Supermodel (重生超模)
  • 镇魂
  • 就等你上線了 (上) (Waiting For You Online, #1)
  • War Prisoner [俘虏]
  • 传说之主的夫人 [Chuanshuo Zhi Zhu De Furen]
  • Spring Trees and Sunset Clouds
  • 默讀 [Silent Reading]
  • 你丫上瘾了? [Ni Ya Shangyin Le?]
  • 女将军和长公主 | Female General and Eldest Princess
  • Thrive in Catastrophe (绝处逢生)
  • 幽灵酒店 [You Ling Jiu Dian]

魔道祖师 (5 books)
  • ปรมาจารย์ลัทธิมาร เล่ม 1
  • 魔道祖師 二 [Mo Dao Zu Shi Vol. 2] (Mo Dao Zu Shi, #2)
  • 魔道祖師 三 [Mo Dao Zu Shi Vol. 3] (Mo Dao Zu Shi, #3)
  • 魔道祖師 四 [Mo Dao Zu Shi Vol. 4] (Mo Dao Zu Shi, #4)
“But what he hadn’t expected was that when everyone feared him and flattered him, Lan WangJi scolded him right in his face; when everyone spurned him and loathed him, Lan WangJi stood by his side.” 55 likes
“Why would a living person worry about what happens after they die? I'll just live freely for as long as possible.” 22 likes