Start by marking “Guts” as Want to Read:
Guts

Guts

(Smile #3)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  7,797 ratings  ·  1,328 reviews
Raina wakes up one night with a terrible upset stomach. Her mom has one, too, so it's probably just a bug. Raina eventually returns to school, where she's dealing with the usual highs and lows: friends, not-friends, and classmates who think the school year is just one long gross-out session. It soon becomes clear that Raina's tummy trouble isn't going away... and it ...more
144 pages
Published September 17th 2019 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Guts, please sign up.
Kayleigh Joerndt I think it is much better because it has more drama and more details than Smile and Sisters

·  7,797 ratings  ·  1,328 reviews

Start your review of Guts
Tucker

[9/17/2019] - TW: Anxiety, throwing up. Review to come!

************
WHAT?!? THE QUEEN OF GRAPHIC NOVELS IS RELEASING ANOTHER BOOK!!

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Reddit | LinkedIn | YouTube | BookSirens
Carmen
Middle-grade book. Raina starts fifth grade. I liked this book, but it doesn't really have much of a plot. Raina starts to struggle with anxiety, panic attacks, having a very sensitive stomach, and dealing with a mean girl at school.

She ends up in therapy, which the book sweetly makes clear is not a big deal or something to be ashamed of.

There's not a cohesive storyline, and that probably won't bother most people, but for me it makes a book less enjoyable.

As usual, Telgemeier makes books with
Truebluedah ♪
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Goodreads: Raina Telgemeier is releasing a new book!

Me:

9/3/19: Y’all, after attending Raina’s Presentation at the NBF, I got a sneak peek. It looks very good and extremely relatable. I’ve request it already and I’m so excited!
Two weeks left! :D

9/17/19:
I finally read it.

Here’s my review..
Let’s all rise for our national anxiety anthem.

You may be seated.

This book was emotional. This book was painfully relatable. This book gave me a stomach ache. And I am ok
David Schaafsma
"For anyone who is afraid."

Yet another graphic novel for older children/middle grades by rock star graphic novelist Raina Telgemeier, and this one is maybe her most serious and personal, dealing with her lifelong (and continuing!) anxiety, phobias and panic attacks connected to her digestive system. A doctor diagnosed her as having irritable bowel syndrome, so she has some real sensitivities but they are exacerbated by stress.

Though it is intended to connect to others who have similar problems,
Calista
I love Raina's books and this is another entry in the Smile series. Raina has a special gift for graphic novels. It is also the first story I have seen for younger kids bout IBS.

I tell you, Raina dealt with some tough stuff. She had some severe dental work to contend with and she has had to figure out how to live with IBS. She also shares them so beautifully with us.

My niece is going to read this next now that I'm done. She loves the other 2 smile books. She can have stomach issues, so I hope
Tova
Dec 10, 2018 marked it as dnf
I'm "DNFing" this book because I read a sample, and as much this sounds like it would be hella relatable, I honestly think it would be incredibly triggering, and I don't need that in my life. I have severe emetophobia, and chronic stomach pain, and I don't need more anxiety. Perhaps at some point, I will actually read it, but not right now.
---
Do you ever feel like someone is writing about your life? As someone with chronic stomach pain, this sounds painfully relatable.
Karissa Fast
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-children-s
Thank you to Scholastic for the Advanced Reading Copy. This review contains spoilers, and is written from the perspective of a children's librarian.

It's been 5 years since Sisters, the sequel to Smile, was published. From my experience working in libraries, interest in the series has only increased over time. When I visit grades 4 - 6 and ask if anyone has read the Smile series, almost every hand goes up - boys included! For that reason alone, the 3rd book in the series is a must purchase for
Jessica
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The #1 Bestselling Book in America the week it debuted hardly needs my endorsement, but Imma give it to you anyway: Read Raina's books. Guts, like Smile and Sisters, was a damn delight. I love the way she draws, I love the frank and funny way she tells the story of her childhood. Smile focused on the drama when she smashed her front teeth, but also dipped into the rest of what was happening in her life. Sisters was the tale of a road trip, but also about her life and her relationship with her ...more
Jen
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, bea-2019
Absolutely amazing and brave of Raina to share her story to help others who might be going through the same thing. Highly recommended for children who are anxious and nervous. They may benefit from this book. 5 stars, all the way!
Jen Cline
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read in one sitting. Raina can do no wrong. I personally feel this is her best yet.
Manybooks
Albeit that I have once again and certainly noticed author and illustrator Raina Telgemeier’s childhood very much reflected in my own past and innermost soul, I also do have to admit that Guts has in fact been so extremely close to my own personal experiences with both anxiety and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) that much of Telgemeier’s text (as well as of course her accompanying artwork) have felt rather personally uncomfortable and thus also not always all that enjoyable and pleasant a reading ...more
Sara
If you follow my reviews at all you know by now that I'm a HUGE fan of almost anything that makes the effort, especially for young readers, to normalize things that have historically been hidden or discussed in hushed tones or labeled "not something we talk about." I think we need to begin stepping away from keeping things like mental health issues and addiction anonymous and the sooner we can do it with our kids the better off we're all going to be.

I, and god knows how many other people,
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Raina enters fifth grade—and starts to get weird stomachaches. Nothing is wrong, but she feels awful!

I really enjoyed this graphic novel, which aptly talks about anxiety and all of the wealth of health issues that having a lot of stress and anxiety can produce on your body—and how your mind can latch onto things and run with it, particularly in the tumultuous time that is fifth grade and puberty.

Raina is an incredibly relatable protagonist, with fears of not fitting in, of over-reacting, of
TheYALibrarian
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Rating 5 Stars

I adore these graphic novels by Raina. It's like a glimpse into my own life as a kid. I know so well what it is like to suffer from crippling anxiety. How it can get so bad that it causes stomach aches and the fear of throwing up. Standing in front of the class can cause that kind of reaction too for young Raina and for me. It's really weird how much I relate to this graphic novel. How having these problems (on top of the depression) has led me to going to therapy for years. How it
Elizabeth A
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2019, kids-ya, memoir
This graphic memoir is targeted for middle grade/ young adult readers and explores the author's issues with anxiety, panic attacks, and phobias. I appreciate that mental health has started to come out of the closet, and that people are more comfortable talking about it. There is much work to be done here on a variety of fronts, but talking about ways to address and help kids deal with some of these issues head on can only be a good thing. As always the art is cute and colorful, and in this ...more
Dylan Teut
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My childhood anxiety manifested itself in severe migraines, often accompanied by vomiting. I would get so anxious/nervous/excited about things when I was young, that I would often have to miss out because I had such a strong migraine and was vomiting. (Field trips to the circus and fire station; Christmas caroling with families, etc.) Raina shares how her anxiety manifested itself. I "grew out" of my migraines, but it wasn't until college when I began seeing a therapist and was properly ...more
Rod Brown
Telgemeier shares her struggles with anxieties and phobias and their effect on her digestive system. The book contains a great message for kids even if it isn't Telgemeier's most captivating work.

I admit I may be holding this book at a little distance as I have people in my life who struggle with similar problems.
Crowinator
I loved this book and could have really used it when I was a kid. I was this kid, only I didn't tell anyone about my anxiety, nausea, and emetophobia, and I had no idea therapy existed for such problems. I manage well now, but even when I was a college student, I made sure to sit in the aisle seat in case I had to run out unexpectedly, at movies, at restaurants, at class; I avoided airplanes and buses where I would be trapped without an escape if I was sick; and I never talked about it to ...more
Stacy Fetters
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raina is back and this is has become my absolute favorite of hers. She shares all the details of one of the personal problems that she had faced as a young adult. It’s heartfelt and compassionate with her own twist of humor thrown in.

It’s time to face fear head on and conquer it.
Kiera
Loved this book. You can find my full review on my blog
Molly
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
it was a really good book. It was a very quick read for me. I connect to the story a few times and I could relate. It also had a good life lesson. I would recommend this book to anyone who liked the books smile, sisters , Drama, ghost and graphic novels. I also recommend this book to anyone who would like a quick good read.
Ms. Yingling
Copy provided by the publisher

In this third graphic novel memoir, popular author Telgemeier recounts the difficulties she faced in fourth and fifth grade. Living in a small apartment with her parents and younger sister and brother, her family often passed around stomach flu. Combined with the anxiety she felt at school, this morphed into a fear of certain foods, and a terror about vomiting. She often would have an upset stomach, which caused her to miss a lot of school. The doctors could never
Queen_ Awesome
Nov 05, 2018 marked it as to-read
How do you read the book
Emily
I reread Smile and Sisters in anticipation of this book, and while I enjoyed revisiting them, I needn't have bothered, because it's not a sequel, as I'd hoped, but takes us back in time to Raina age 10, pre-dental drama. It's a super quick read, but definitely not my favorite of the three. Stomach upsets and graphic novels are not a match made in heaven -- there are some things I'd rather not see.
Samantha Jean
Much like Best Friends this.graphic novel gives a glimpse into Telgemeier's life as a young person. She does a good job describing her experience with anxiety and therapy as a child. I definitely enjoyed this book, and I'm glad I got to share it with my daughters.
Georgia
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking forward to reading this book for a long time now and it is absolutely amazing! This book is funny and interesting and I felt like I could really connect with the author and some of her experiences. I got Guts last night and read through it really quickly, and then I read it again this morning! I'll probably read it again before I return it to the library :)
Beth
The only reason I'm giving GUTS 4 stars instead of 5 is because I wanted it to be longer. Not because it felt incomplete, but because I saw so much of myself in Raina's story and I had someone to commiserate with.

I think this will be an important book for kids and adults to talk openly about mental health struggles, particularly anxiety, and will help to normalize going to therapy. My favorite line from the book was when Raina is in a therapy session and struggling to find the words to explain
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I opened my mail, and started reading this over lunch.

Might not have been the best choice, as there is quite a bit of barfing in this book.

That's because in Raina's latest memoir type graphic novel, she goes over how stress caused her, well, stress when she was in 4th and 5th grade.

And how she learned to live with it.

I will always have a soft spot for her first book, Smile, but this fits in nicely with her other stories of her childhood, and shows how stress can cause you upset stomachs.
Ana
Hooray for artists and authors who are willing to be real, honest, and vulnerable, especially with young readers. Telgemeier's colorful and expressive illustrative style compliment her experiences, making her storytelling fun, relatable, and accessible.
Tara Strosnider
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone that has anxiety and a panic attacks. I can relate to this and it explains it so well. There always needs to be more books that explains it and that it's part of who you are

My story

I first started having anxiety and depression when two girls who were my friends then they bullied me I had panic attacks at school they bullied me for my whole junior year of high school where I was scared to going to school scared because I went to a small school so I always saw them and they bullied me
Final Round
3,817,538 Votes Cast

• Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • Stargazing
  • White Bird
  • The Okay Witch
  • Just Jaime
  • Look Both Ways
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Making Friends: Back to the Drawing Board (Making Friends #2)
  • New Kid