Start by marking “Guts” as Want to Read:
Guts

Guts

(Smile #3)

Raina wakes up one night with a terrible upset stomach. Her mom has one, too, so it's probably just a bug. Raina eventually returns to school, where she's dealing with the usual highs and lows: friends, not-friends, and classmates who think the school year is just one long gross-out session. It soon becomes clear that Raina's tummy trouble isn't going away... and it coinci ...more
144 pages
Published September 17th 2019 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Guts, please sign up.
Kayleigh Joerndt I think it is much better because it has more drama and more details than Smile and Sisters

Tucker

[9/17/2019] - TW: Anxiety, throwing up. Review to come!

************
WHAT?!? THE QUEEN OF GRAPHIC NOVELS IS RELEASING ANOTHER BOOK!!

Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Buy | Reddit
Carmen
Middle-grade book. Raina starts fifth grade. I liked this book, but it doesn't really have much of a plot. Raina starts to struggle with anxiety, panic attacks, having a very sensitive stomach, and dealing with a mean girl at school.

She ends up in therapy, which the book sweetly makes clear is not a big deal or something to be ashamed of.

There's not a cohesive storyline, and that probably won't bother most people, but for me it makes a book less enjoyable.

As usual, Telgemeier makes books with w
Truebluedah ♪
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Goodreads: Raina Telgemeier is releasing a new book!

Me:

9/3/19: Y’all, after attending Raina’s Presentation at the NBF, I got a sneak peek. It looks very good and extremely relatable. I’ve request it already and I’m so excited!
Two weeks left! :D

9/17/19:
I finally read it.

Here’s my review..
Let’s all rise for our national anxiety anthem.

You may be seated.

This book was emotional. This book was painfully relatable. This book gave me a stomach ache. And I am ok w
Calista
I love Raina's books and this is another entry in the Smile series. Raina has a special gift for graphic novels. It is also the first story I have seen for younger kids bout IBS.

I tell you, Raina dealt with some tough stuff. She had some severe dental work to contend with and she has had to figure out how to live with IBS. She also shares them so beautifully with us.

My niece is going to read this next now that I'm done. She loves the other 2 smile books. She can have stomach issues, so I hope t
Tova
Dec 10, 2018 marked it as 2019-releases
Do you ever feel like someone is writing about your life? As someone with chronic stomach pain, this sounds painfully relatable.
Karissa Fast
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-children-s
Thank you to Scholastic for the Advanced Reading Copy. This review contains spoilers, and is written from the perspective of a children's librarian.

It's been 5 years since Sisters, the sequel to Smile, was published. From my experience working in libraries, interest in the series has only increased over time. When I visit grades 4 - 6 and ask if anyone has read the Smile series, almost every hand goes up - boys included! For that reason alone, the 3rd book in the series is a must purchase for pu
Jen
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bea-2019, arc
Absolutely amazing and brave of Raina to share her story to help others who might be going through the same thing. Highly recommended for children who are anxious and nervous. They may benefit from this book. 5 stars, all the way!
Jen Cline
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read in one sitting. Raina can do no wrong. I personally feel this is her best yet.
TheYALibrarian
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Rating 5 Stars

I adore these graphic novels by Raina. It's like a glimpse into my own life as a kid. I know so well what it is like to suffer from crippling anxiety. How it can get so bad that it causes stomach aches and the fear of throwing up. Standing in front of the class can cause that kind of reaction too for young Raina and for me. It's really weird how much I relate to this graphic novel. How having these problems (on top of the depression) has led me to going to therapy for years. How it
Rod Brown
Telgemeier shares her struggles with anxieties and phobias and their effect on her digestive system. The book contains a great message for kids even if it isn't Telgemeier's most captivating work.

I admit I may be holding this book at a little distance as I have people in my life who struggle with similar problems.
Dylan Teut
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My childhood anxiety manifested itself in severe migraines, often accompanied by vomiting. I would get so anxious/nervous/excited about things when I was young, that I would often have to miss out because I had such a strong migraine and was vomiting. (Field trips to the circus and fire station; Christmas caroling with families, etc.) Raina shares how her anxiety manifested itself. I "grew out" of my migraines, but it wasn't until college when I began seeing a therapist and was properly medicate ...more
Crowinator
I loved this book and could have really used it when I was a kid. I was this kid, only I didn't tell anyone about my anxiety, nausea, and emetophobia, and I had no idea therapy existed for such problems. I manage well now, but even when I was a college student, I made sure to sit in the aisle seat in case I had to run out unexpectedly, at movies, at restaurants, at class; I avoided airplanes and buses where I would be trapped without an escape if I was sick; and I never talked about it to anybod ...more
Kiera
Loved this book. You can find my full review on my blog
Stacy Fetters
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raina is back and this is has become my absolute favorite of hers. She shares all the details of one of the personal problems that she had faced as a young adult. It’s heartfelt and compassionate with her own twist of humor thrown in.

It’s time to face fear head on and conquer it.
Queen_ Awesome
Nov 05, 2018 marked it as to-read
How do you read the book
Samantha
Much like Best Friends this.graphic novel gives a glimpse into Telgemeier's life as a young person. She does a good job describing her experience with anxiety and therapy as a child. I definitely enjoyed this book, and I'm glad I got to share it with my daughters.
Georgia
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking forward to reading this book for a long time now and it is absolutely amazing! This book is funny and interesting and I felt like I could really connect with the author and some of her experiences. I got Guts last night and read through it really quickly, and then I read it again this morning! I'll probably read it again before I return it to the library :)
Ms. Yingling
Copy provided by the publisher

In this third graphic novel memoir, popular author Telgemeier recounts the difficulties she faced in fourth and fifth grade. Living in a small apartment with her parents and younger sister and brother, her family often passed around stomach flu. Combined with the anxiety she felt at school, this morphed into a fear of certain foods, and a terror about vomiting. She often would have an upset stomach, which caused her to miss a lot of school. The doctors could never f
Beth
The only reason I'm giving GUTS 4 stars instead of 5 is because I wanted it to be longer. Not because it felt incomplete, but because I saw so much of myself in Raina's story and I had someone to commiserate with.

I think this will be an important book for kids and adults to talk openly about mental health struggles, particularly anxiety, and will help to normalize going to therapy. My favorite line from the book was when Raina is in a therapy session and struggling to find the words to explain
Ana
Hooray for artists and authors who are willing to be real, honest, and vulnerable, especially with young readers. Telgemeier's colorful and expressive illustrative style compliment her experiences, making her storytelling fun, relatable, and accessible.
Jason
It's here at long last!!
The story unfolds at a much slower pace than Telgemeier's other stories, but this one is a bit more personal, so the quieter, more thoughtful tone is appropriate. It is clear that she really takes her status as a voice for middle grade girls seriously, as this feels like it is somehow written, and intimately so, for them. I continue to be impressed with how responsible Raina has been with her burgeoning fame and am convinced she will go down in children's literature as on
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I opened my mail, and started reading this over lunch.

Might not have been the best choice, as there is quite a bit of barfing in this book.

That's because in Raina's latest memoir type graphic novel, she goes over how stress caused her, well, stress when she was in 4th and 5th grade.

And how she learned to live with it.

I will always have a soft spot for her first book, Smile, but this fits in nicely with her other stories of her childhood, and shows how stress can cause you upset stomachs.
Elise
in Guts, author/illustrator Raina Telgemeier shares her journey from experiencing panic attacks and anxiety at the young age of nine to discovering that she had anxiety and phobias with the help of a child therapist. I deeply felt this story- Raina's depictions of panic that accosts you in the middle of class, the overwhelming sense of isolation, the inability to describe what you're feeling to friends or family, and when you do they don't understand or make it a thing. I began having panic atta ...more
Kayla Burton
I received an ARC of Guts at Book Expo America in May. I really loved it and I know my students will too. I think it’s an awesome way to open discussion on anxiety.
Nov 06, 2018 added it
This is a really long book but its worth the time.From guts fan 23
Lily Williams
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had this book so so very badly as a kid.
Raven Black
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Telgemeier's classic realism, charm and style
Jessie Bond
Is it too on the nose to say this book resonated with me viscerally? Probably, but it did. Phew. That mind-body connection between your digestive system and your brain is something so, so many of us experience but that so rarely gets talked about. Telgemeier tackles all the complicated-ness of being "sick, but not sick" from anxiety with her trademark honest reliability. This will be hugely popular for good reason, and I'm hoping it changes the culture around talking about mental health. Love.
Kirsti
Dedication: "For anyone who feels afraid."

Funny, realistic, thought-provoking account of a ten-year-old's struggles with anxiety, change, and friendship. This got a rave review in the New York Times from the author of My Age of Anxiety: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/17/bo...

At one point, another character encourages Raina by saying: "Concentrate on your feet on the floor. Let that ground you. Let your feet anchor you. Just breathe." I think I'll use this approach the next time I feel anxious.

Melissa
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finished reading, closed the book, picked up my phone, bought a copy, and shipped it to my little cousin. She's the same age Raina is in the story and also battles anxiety. I hope it makes her feel seen, understood, supported, and normal. Raina knocks it out of the park. Again.

• Sanity & Tallulah
  • Just Jaime
  • Little Fish: A Memoir from a Different Kind of Year
  • The Unwanted: Stories of the Syrian Refugees
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn