Start by marking “The Castle Corona” as Want to Read:
The Castle Corona

The Castle Corona

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  2,398 Ratings  ·  378 Reviews
Long ago and far away . . .

There was a castle. But not just any castle. This was a castle that glittered and sparkled and rose majestically above the banks of the winding Winono River: the Castle Corona.

And in this castle lived a family. But not just any family. This was the family of King Guido: rich and royal and . . . spoiled. And King Guido was so spoiled that neither
Published October 2nd 2007 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Castle Corona, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Castle Corona

Judith
Jul 15, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this a lot, but even so, I found it undercooked at several points. I don't think Creech was attempting a radical overhaul of the fairy tale genre, or a "fractured" fairy tale approach--the giveaway there for me was the introduction of Princess Fabrizia:

"It would be wonderful to say that Princess Fabrizia was the strongest, wisest, bravest and kindest of all the King's children, but alas she was frail and foolish and, above all else, afraid of every little thing".

So, not overt feminist
Gina
Jun 09, 2008 rated it liked it
When I saw this I thought, holy crap! Sharon Creech wrote a fairy tale! Yay!
Alas, it started well, but fizzled. :( It's like she wrote it on the toilet but then finished shitting just when it was getting good.
Rebecca
Aug 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children, fantasy
In the Castle Corona lives the discontented royal family. In the village live the discontented orphans Pia and Enzio. Eventually their paths cross.

I completely didn’t get the point of this book. Virtually nothing happened. The characters changed somewhat, but not a lot, and I guess it was just too subtle for me. It reminded me of 'Criss Cross,' which won the Newbery, and I completely didn’t get that, either. I tend to like books in which nothing happens, but the nothing books I love always have
Miriam
Sep 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fairy-tale
Creech sets the stage well enough: there is a castle, with a royal family of five useless, discontent, and rather stupid individuals. In a nearby village there are a poor, orphaned brother and sister. And there are a couple of hermits. The problem is that nothing happens. The book is like a "fairy tale twist" short story that was somehow dragged out from 35 pages to 300, but without any additional action or character development. The whole thing was just... boring. Even the illustrations, which ...more
Aimee
Aug 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have loved almost everything Creech has ever written. No one can capture the inner lives of her characters like Sharon Creech. She writes with such tenderness for all her characters the reader can't help but feel the same. Set in medieval times, Castle Corona tells parallel stories of the people that live within and outside the castle walls. My favorite character was the Wordsmith, who occasionally entertains the court with the power of his stories. Fans of Creech will not be disappointed with ...more
Allison Tebo
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A cute little story with lavish and unusual illustrations and formatting that made it a treat. The deliberately stilted style and dreamy voice was very reminiscent of Gail Carson Levine. I did think the ending rather unsatisfying but overall it was fun.
Hannah Jayne
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
💛

“Another day, another sky.”

So cute.
Brycen
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I went a little out of my way for this book. I don't really like fantasy books that much. But this book made me want to read more fantasy and more of Sharon Creech. It was a little hard to read at first,but then I got used to it. The story was also confusing. I started to get the hang of it towards the middle of the book. It as very hard to put down because so many things were happening at once and I just had to keep reading. For all those fantasy readers I would recommend this.
Alicia Marie
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh-reads
This book was a disappointment for me. Sharon Creech's writing style brought me nowhere. Maybe my expectations were to high for this one, but truly I believe it was just dry. The main characters are like marionettes on strings and there is info dumping everywhere. The culture in this novel is absolutely tasteless and every person in here too. I grew bored at the second chapter and my mind quickly wandered.

The facts in this novel were repeated over and over and over and OVER again. Can't you t
Jackie Liu
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ok-books
I picked up this book because my friend and I really liked Sharon Creech, although after I finished this book, I felt like this book is a bit of a let down from Sharon. This book is worse than her oter books, although I still think it is very good. I liked the story a lot. It's just that Sharon put a lot of things in the story, but didn't explain them all. It gives me a headache when I think and wonder about too many things.
This book had many great parts in it. I loved it. I really really did. B
Maren
Sep 04, 2010 rated it liked it
I like Sharon Creech, even though all her books are a little quirky. What I think is cool is that each book is quirky in its own way--and she has written a lot of books. How does she come up with so many completely unique ideas? (The only ones that sort of have related quirkiness are Love That Dog and Hate That Cat, but they are obviously companion books.) So this book was strange in a way, but that is just Sharon Creech. It was satirizing fairy tales which had me chuckling throughout, but was r ...more
Rachel
Sep 07, 2008 rated it liked it
This book was disappointing, in that it could have been so much better than it was. It had all the ingredients to be a pseudo-fairy tale as beautiful as anything by Jane Yolen - lovely little archetypal characters carefully created to parallel one another subtly, a promising begin, and a gorgeous design, with beautiful illustrations and illuminated letters - but in the end it fell apart. The characters, with a few exceptions, were bland and lifeless, the ending was painfully anti-climactic, and ...more
Luann
Dec 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
I gave this book an extra star because of the beautiful illuminations by David Diaz. The story itself for me was worth three stars. It was good, but not spectacular. The characters were somewhat flat and just played the typical role of "king" or "queen" or "princess" until almost the end. Which isn't necessarily bad, but I enjoyed the book a lot more once they became individuals with personalities. I did really like the two peasant children and the hermits.
Kayla
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
The book was okay and I ejoyed reading it.It makes you think, if you lived in a place with kings and queens how would you feel?It also makes you think about if you were the king and queen,would you feel like you did the same thing every day, and it was becoming boring?What if you were the princess, would you be stuck up or humble?It was not, however, a book that I could not put down.
Devon Flaherty
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I read Walk Two Moons probably fifteen years ago, and I liked it enough that I considered myself a Sharon Creech fan. But despite my intentions to read more of her work, here I am fifteen years later reading my second book out loud to my nine-year-old son.

Castle Corona was a title I found on third grade reading lists, so I thought it would be a good one to read at bedtime. Ehn. That’s what I thought. That’s what my son thought.

For my son, I think the issue was topic. He really isn’t in to castle
Annika Jernsedt
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a very interesting take on a fairy tale and I enjoyed it very much. I would like to know what the theme/life lesson is, because that was unclear. The character I like is Prince Gianni because he is a prince who is not to absorbed into the royalty drama, and falls in love with a peasant/servant girl. He loves poetry and he is a nicer, more well rounded person than his brother. This book makes me think about a social problem in society today. Though it is different because we do not h ...more
Larissa
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was pretty good. It started kind of slow, but I felt like when I finally got into it, the book ended suddenly. I feel like the book needs a sequel to explain what happens to the characters after the story. For instance, *SPOILER ALERT* Princess Fabrizia starts to like Enzio, and Prince Gianni has a crush on Pia. Do they ever get married? Also, the characters were very weak. Princess Favrizia cared only about herself and looking pretty, and tended to throw a lot of tantrums. The king wa ...more
Heather O'Neill
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the story of the royal family of Castle Corona. A King, a Queen, their three children, two hermits, a wordsmith, and two peasant children are the main characters in the story. A rumor is going around that there is a thief in the kingdom and everything gets a little turned upside down trying to figure out who is the thief and what is going on in the kingdom.

We read this book for school and it was actually one of the more enjoyable ones. There was a lot of entertaining bits that were funny
Lisa
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I have long been a fan of children's author Sharon Creech. Here she returns us to the time of fairy tales and wonder of castles, royalty and the common peasants. You will be dazzled, delighted and entertained. A great read aloud to the younger ages. Strong child characters are presented in light of strength of character and loyalty. Both traits all kids of today need references from which to continue to 'grow'. Don't miss other titles by this Newberry Author... start your own collection of great ...more
Emily Kassera
May 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I started reading this book about 5 different times between the ages of 10 and 14. After about 50 pages, however, I always abandoned it for something else. A few weeks ago, I came across a cheap copy at a book sale. I decided it was time to finish The Castle Corona for good.
As I wrapped up the last chapter today, I realized why I had failed to finish it so many times before--it's a bit boring. All the right elements are there and the characters have so much potential, but in the end it all feels
Chase Presson
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I'm so glad that I reread this book. The first time I ever heard this story was on a family road trip when I was in Elementary school. Parts of the story really stuck with me and I wanted to reread / re-listen on my own 2 month road trip this year. The audiobook was just as amazing as I remembered and I'm so glad that I got to put all the details and pieces of the story back together after so many years. A fun, quick read that I highly recommend, especially to middle-grade aged kids and adults w ...more
Calista
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was really good, even though it was a bit odd. I liked the beginning and especially the middle, but the ending was kind of boring. It was really disappointing because the rest of the book was amazing! I liked the characters; the royal family was so oblivious and annoying that they were so fun to read about! I didn't like the orphans because they were just to perfect.
Isabelle
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pure-fiction
It's more 2.5 than 3, but I rounded up.

I read this in a book group with Julia and Julia. Their last names both begin with S. We all agreed that the ending was pretty unsatisfying. Julia 1 thought that it was unsatisfying the most, and Julia 2 and I thought it was unsatisfying less. I predicted a theory on page 51 that ended up being true.
Amy Meyers
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The only other book I've read by Creech is Walk Two Moons, which so disgusted me I threw it away. This book I listened to on Audible. The reader was good, but the story, although set up well, finished in a boring, flat way, and the characters were one-dimensional. It was fun for a one-time read (especially if read to me while doing other work), but not worth purchasing.
Brian
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
IMHO this is not up to other Creech novels (which I love). While it's a gorgeous book (in terms of illustration and book design), I found the story slow to develop, the narration disjointed, and the ending anticlimactic. I did like Pia and Enzio, the two protagonists, who were very sympathetic.
Tamara York
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-alouds-2018
We read this to go along with our medieval history studies. It made for a long, fairly terrible read aloud. It would be much better read to yourself. The kids enjoyed it but I felt like it would never end.
Dorothee
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I have been wanting to read (well I listened to the audio book which was really good) this for a while ever since I was young so completing this book means a lot to me. it's very fantasy and fairy tale-esque and everyone is happy in the end :)
L.
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Read as an audiobook.

Quick comments: If the writing and story had been pushed more, it wouldn't have just been a "good for middle grade" book. Still a nice read!

3.5☆
Stephanne Stacey
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great children's tale. Full of lessons everyone should learn and live.
James Swenson
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
An attractive book for kids about a couple of orphans who cross paths with royalty.
  • Jack Plank Tells Tales
  • The Birthday Ball
  • Will Sparrow's Road
  • Neil Flambé and the Crusader's Curse (The Neil Flambé Capers #3)
  • The Magic Half
  • Iron Thunder: The Battle Between the Monitor & the Merrimac
  • The Secret History of Tom Trueheart (Tom Trueheart, #1)
  • Cool Zone with the Pain and the Great One
  • The Year the Swallows Came Early
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • Three Good Deeds
  • The Dragonfly Effect (The Hypnotists, #3)
  • The Potato Chip Puzzles (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #2)
  • Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat (Emmy, #1)
  • Everything for a Dog
  • The Underneath
  • The Very Ordered Existence of Merilee Marvelous
  • Star in the Forest
I was born in South Euclid, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland, and grew up there with my noisy and rowdy family: my parents (Ann and Arvel), my sister (Sandy), and my three brothers (Dennis, Doug and Tom).
For a fictional view of what it was like growing up in my family, see Absolutely Normal Chaos. (In that book, the brothers even have the same names as my own brothers.) Our house was not only full of
More about Sharon Creech

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • When Gravity Fails (The Budayeen Cycle, 1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99