Start by marking “The Last House Guest” as Want to Read:
The Last House Guest

The Last House Guest

3.60  ·  Rating details ·  45,587 ratings  ·  3,942 reviews
Littleport, Maine is like two separate towns: a vacation paradise for wealthy holidaymakers and a simple harbour community for the residents who serve them. Friendships between locals and visitors are unheard of - but that's just what happened with Avery Greer and Sadie Loman.

Each summer for a decade the girls are inseparable - until Sadie is found dead. When the police ru
Published June 18th 2019 by Corvus

To ask other readers questions about The Last House Guest, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sharla
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kaitlin Marie-Brown Salter I really like this book, because I feel like it's in-between the two. The main character has more self-awareness than most ya narrators, and yet someh…moreI really like this book, because I feel like it's in-between the two. The main character has more self-awareness than most ya narrators, and yet somehow not quite written like an adult.(less)

·  45,587 ratings  ·  3,942 reviews

Start your review of The Last House Guest
Miranda Reads
description

My home is your home. My life is your life.

There will be no locks or secrets here.
Avery Greer belongs to the small town life of Littleport, Maine and Sadie Loman belongs to the wealthy summer crowd.

The two communities never mix...until Avery and Sadie. Every summer the two of them are arm-in-arm...well... until the summer it happens.
The flashlight swung back, and that was when I saw them, a glint caught in the beam of light. I felt the earth tilting.
She leaves behind
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This is my second book by the author and I have to say she's great at creating small town with lots of secrets.

It was a very quick and easy beach read (even happens in a beach town!). Compelling enough to finish it but not enough that you'll skip on your vacation to stay in your room to read it.

It's also probably one of the best covers I've seen this year. The colors, the view through the window and the 3D rain drops were a nice touch!

With that said, I did feel like the characters were quick to
Melissa

A few years back, Megan Miranda’s story told in reverse, All the Missing Girls, found me so impressed I scrambled to secure a treasured copy of my very own. Meaning, I went out of my way to track down a personalized signed copy from one of her book tour stops. That hardcover now owns a rare piece of real-estate among my collection of greats. I only mention this tidbit bec
Meredith
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Dull and Dreary

The Last House Guest is a slow-burn mystery about a girl from the wrong side of the tracks whose world is shattered when her best friend is found dead of an apparent suicide.

Littleport, Maine is a town built on a class divide between the townies and wealthy vacationers. After a rich girl kills herself, her best friend begins to question the events that led up to the suicide. Alternating timelines from the past and present lead to secrets being unearthed.

I had such high hopes for
Chelsea Humphrey
Please take my review with a grain of salt, as I have many friends who have loved this in the range of 4-5 stars, but The Last House Guest fell short of the mark for me. Awhile back, I fell head over heels for Miranda's All the Missing Girls; the reverse narration and plot resolution have stuck with me for YEARS now, which is a rarity due to the many books juggling for attention in my dwindling memory space. It could be that I've simply consumed so many psychological thrillers that read in a sim ...more
Norma
Tumultuous, puzzling, & a twisty page-turner!

Oh my goodness where do I even start with this book......So let's just say I have to go back and read the whole book over again well because that ending is making me want to do it. LOL

This book reads extremely fast but while I was reading it though I was never fully immersed in this tale. There was nothing that was grabbing me here until well the end and then it's like I wish that I would have spent the time with this book before reaching the end. The
BernLuvsBooks
3 ⭐️⭐️⭐️ for this slow-burn mystery about a girl whose world is shattered when her best friend is found dead of an apparent suicide

This book had so much promise. I was drawn to the plot immediately - Avery Greer, a townie girl with a troubled past is essentially taken in by Sadie Loman, the daughter of an affluent vacation family in Maine. The girls are inseparable for decades. Avery becomes enmeshed within the Loman family and their business, overseeing their properties in town. All is perfect
Debra
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is another book that had a very interesting premise and started off great. A young woman, Sadie has been found dead. It's ruled a suicide but there are those in town who blame Sadie's longtime friend, Avery. For me, this sounded great.

But it didn't deliver on the "wow" factor I was looking for. As Avery tries to find out the truth, we learn there is more to each character than meets the eye. Secrets are the name of the game here. Many characters have them but has the most revealing one?

Thi
Kaceey
This is the second book I’ve read from Megan Miranda and as with her prior book The Perfect Stranger, this one just didn’t meet my expectations.

Sadie and Avery are the best of friends. As with most besties, they know each other inside and out, front to back. So when Sadie’s body is discovered from an apparent suicide Avery is certain Sadie would never take her own life, and is determined to find who murdered her friend!

Told from Avery’s POV in the present and past timelines.

While I was engaged b
Susanne  Strong
3.25 Stars* (rounded down).

Twisty and Turny!

Sadie Loman and Avery Greer had been best friends for years when Sadie’s body was found the night after a party. Police suspected that she took her own life, though Avery never believed it.

Now, a year later, Avery has decided to search for clues to prove that someone murdered her best friend.

Told in two timelines, the night of the party, and the summer after, the suspects are those who attended the party. Everyone who went had something to hide and
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
How great is it when one of your most anticipated reads for the year turns out to be all that you expected?! I loved this book from the drop dead gorgeous cover to the very last page.

The setting of this book was so intriguing and added to the entire story so much. Littleport Maine is a seaside community that caters to the wealthy families that chose to summer there each year. As with many communities like this, you hear of the fantastic events during the summer, but what happens when the season
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first read from Megan Miranda was a success! I had so much fun with The Last House Guest! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ .75

Littleport, Maine, like many places in the United States, is the land of the haves and the have-nots. The wealthy vacation there, and the locals serve them when they do. Typically the two groups don’t cross paths in a social manner, but Avery and Sadie become friends anyway.

For over ten years, the two are the best of friends during summer; however, when Sadie is found dead, everything chang
Liz
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, rounded up
The Last House Guest deals with the haves and the have nots, the folks who spend a summer and the year round residents, the vacationers and the workers. Usually the two sides stay separate. Avery is a resident, but she becomes a summer friend with Sadie Logan, the daughter of one of the richest summer families in Littleport. At the end of summer, Sadie is found dead. Ruled a suicide, but later events have Avery doubting that conclusion.

The story is told from Avery’s viewpoi
Linda
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you will never know the answer quite yet in life. But it's there. It's hidden behind labels of regret and remorse.

Avery Greer deals with the stackable problems in her everyday life. She's the caretaker of a sprawling series of summer cottages in the resort town of Littleport, Maine. It's Avery who must check and double check the rentals. Satisfaction isn't always guaranteed.

Avery is familiar with the rocky cliffs and staggered beaches. She was raised by her grandmother just around the
Katie B
This one was a bit underwhelming. I never felt all that invested in the characters or story. And even though I didn't guess the ending, it still is nothing that will blow your mind. Hate to sound so negative but there have been so many awesome books in the genre recently that I cant place this one any higher than just an average read.

Littleport, Maine is one of those resort towns in which the regular old year-round residents are financially dependent on the tourist season when the wealthy and el
Carrie
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Last House Guest by Megan Miranda is a thriller that is told from the viewpoint of the main character in two different timelines. One time frame is that of the summer that the death in question in the book occurs and then another the following summer.

Littleport, Maine is a town in which the rich often vacation in during the summers and the locals cater to them while they are there. Normally there aren’t any friendships between the residents and vacationers but Avery Greer and Sadie Loman wer
Erin
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
3.5 stars rounded up to 4.

Thanks to Netgalley and Simon & Shuster Canada for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

Believe it or not, I never did get around to reading All the Missing Girls or The Perfect Stranger but Megan Miranda has been on my must read list for quite awhile. In The Last House Guest MM presents readers with an unreliable female protagonist in Avery Greer who seven years ago lost her friend Sadie Loman in a tragedy. As a community tribute to Sadie is being pr
Kimberly
Feb 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
They say the definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. This makes my third book by Megan Miranda and I'm no happier than I was with her other books. Third time was not a charm. Why do I keep giving her books a try?

The plot sounded good, but like everytime before I was so bored. The story was bogged down with a lot of unnecessary details, repetitive descriptions and underdeveloped characters. The flashbacks felt confusing and did little to drive
Frank Phillips
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars rounded up. Just flat. I didn't connect with the characters, or even really care to at any point in the book. I had to force myself to finish because I wanted to find out whodunnit, which wasn't that much of a surprise either. I seem to remember really enjoying Miranda's previous novel, Perfect Strangers, so i'm a bit confounded why or how it took her two years to produce this book as her follow-up third adult novel. At this point i'm like 1-5 on Reese's bookclub books, so I think i'm ...more
Susan's Reviews
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
My thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Avery Greer became an angry, destructive teen after her parents were killed in a car crash. She pushed away in a frenzied rage from all her childhood friends - even her boyfriend Connor - when her Grandmother died a few years later, leaving her with no family.
Then one day, Avery meets Sadie Loman, whose family owns all the rental properties in coastal Littleport, Maine. As a result of th
Tammie
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The Last House Guest, a mystery thriller, was a solid 4 stars. The book centers around Avery, a young adult woman residing in Littleport Maine- a small community where the locals scrape out a living and the wealthy come to vacation.
This book is about friendships and secrets. Avery befriends another young adult named Sadie Loman- a rich woman from a powerful family. Their friendship spans almost a decade until one night Sadie is found dead. Ruled a suicide, Avery is devastated and left wondering
Mandy White
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, audible
After hearing so much about this book I was really looking forward to reading it. I found the first 3/4 to be slow but picked up alot towards the end. Not alot of likeable characters either . I didn't hate it but was expecting a bit more.
Berit☀️✨
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this back in July and liked it! Clearly one of my New Year’s resolutions needs to be to stay on top of my reviews. So when I finish a book I write down notes, because I never immediately write my review (this is something that I am trying to change this year). Most of the time this will jar my memory and the book will come streaming back to me. However in the case of this book it did not, so I went and looked at other people’s reviews. Most of the reviews I read stated that this was a good ...more
Tammy
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: release-2019
4.5 ★ for this smart, twisty read with a strong female protagonist determined to uncover the truth about her friend’s death and discovering other hidden secrets along the way. With the BIG mystery behind Sadie’s death, the unpredictable characters, and lies at each turn.. I couldn’t help but enjoy every bit of the slow suspense building up. And that ending. Oh boy. Who would of ever guessed! 🖤

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
I am really excited to finally read my first Megan Miranda book. If you spend much time on Goodreads or other book platforms, Megan Miranda is a favorite author of book lovers who writes some incredible books! I found The Last House Guest to be a suspenseful, gripping character study about a woman who is coping with the death of a close friend who she realizes she may not have known everything about.

Littleport, Maine is like two towns in one: the vacation town populated between Memorial Day and
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Avery is left with her grandmother's house after she passes, a wealthy family buys it, and they hire Avery to manage this house and their entire neighborhood of exclusive, rented summer cottages.

Avery is an excellent manager, becomes friends with the Lowman's daughter, Sadie, and is treated like family, and then is faced with Sadie's death that is being ruled as a suicide. Avery knows Sadie wouldn't kill herself and especially on the night of the annual Plus-One end-of-the-summer party.

Avery stu
Lisa
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A suspenseful beach read that transports us to a quaint coastal town in Maine.

SUMMARY
Littleport, Maine, has always been like two separate towns: an ideal vacation spot for the wealthy, whose summer homes line the coastline; and a simple harbor community for the year-round residents whose livelihoods rely on service to the visitors.

Typically, friendships never develop between a local and a summer girl—but that’s just what happens with visitor Sadie Loman and Littleport local resident Avery Greer
Jen
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Avery and Sadie are summer sisters in a wealthy summer town. Sadie is the privileged daughter of a wealthy family while Avery grew up in the community with little resources. Their friendship is unlikely but this duo forged a strong bond and are inseparable until Sadie’s untimely death. Sadie’s death is ruled a suicide but Avery feels something is amiss. As she begins to investigate, she may find herself in danger as well...⁣

The synopsis is intriguing and the plot sounds strong but unfortunately
Diana | Book of Secrets
3.25 Stars → Sadie and Avery are unlikely best friends, the former a girl from a rich family who summers in Littleport, Maine, and the latter a lonely local girl with a tragic past. Avery's world is upset once again when Sadie dies of an apparent suicide, though Avery has her doubts. A year later odd occurrences and new clues make Avery want to figure out what really happened the night Sadie died.

I was drawn in by the premise of this book, and coastal Maine is one of my favorite settings. While
Shannon
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Simon Books #partner for gifting me a copy of The Last Guest House! I really enjoyed this one. This is the second book I’ve read by Megan Miranda and I am a fan!

This was a solid mystery. I have been so burnt out on the mystery / thrillers I’ve been reading because they have all been the same! I did a buddy read with Jamie and we were both happy that none of the characters were crazy or crazy alcoholics. It was refreshing.

Avery and Sadie have been best friends for years. They met in Lit

• Never Have I Ever
  • Big Summer
  • The Cactus
  • The Giver of Stars
Megan Miranda is the New York Times bestselling author of ALL THE MISSING GIRLS, THE PERFECT STRANGER, and THE LAST HOUSE GUEST, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick. She has also written several books for young adults, including COME FIND ME, FRAGMENTS OF THE LOST, and THE SAFEST LIES. She grew up in New Jersey, graduated from MIT, and lives in North Carolina with her husband and two children.

Her

Articles featuring this book

Want to read the latest and greatest in the mystery and thriller genre? We dug into our data to find readers' top 20 mysteries published in the U.S...
“Promises made without clarity of thought still counted. A careless yes and you were bound.” 2 likes
“I’ve known enough of loss to accept that grief may lose its sharpness with time, but memory only tightens. Moments replay.” 1 likes