Start by marking “The Druid” as Want to Read:

Northern Britain, AD 430

A land in turmoil. A village ablaze. A king’s daughter abducted.

In the aftermath of a surprise attack Dun Buic lies in smoking ruins and many innocent villagers are dead. As the survivors try to make sense of the night’s events the giant warrior-druid, Bellicus, is tasked with hunting down the raiders and thwarting their dark purpose.

With years of
Published November 1st 2018 by Broadsword Publishing

Adam Lofthouse
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Escapism is the first word that comes to mind when I think of this book.
You don't need to be familiar with the period to enjoy it, the plot is not overly complex, it doesn't keep you over thinking or flicking back through the pages to try and remind yourself what happened previously.
It's just one bloody good romp from the get go.
Bellicus is a Druid, and also a fine warrior. He is young and confident, tall and broad, well versed in the sword and not at all afraid to use it. He is also familiar
Paul Bennett
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BLURB

Northern Britain, AD430

A land in turmoil. A village ablaze. A king’s daughter abducted.

With years of training in the old ways, two war-dogs at his side, and unsurpassed skill with a longsword, Bellicus’s quest will take him
David Baird
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You should know who Steven A. McKay is..author of the Forest Lord series based around one of the best historical figures ever in my mind Robin Hood..after what seemed like forever the end of the series came hard like a punch to the gut.. I needed more.. but could the author ever live up to the expectations set..well lets see.

The Druid is a brand new tale for the author, this tale follows Bellicus. Religion is changing but Druids still hold some power..and as such when the King’s daughter is take
Richard West
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If a person looks at a good book and thinks of it as a glass of fine wine, Steven McKay's latest effort is a glass of fine, sparkling champagne. Yes, this is the same Steven McKay who authored the "Forest Lord" series about Robin Hood, putting his own twist onto that time-honored story. Now, he tackles the historically (at least by Hollywood script writers) much-maligned druids who have been shown to be bloodthirsty cannibals engaging in human sacrifices and then having them for dinner. As anyon ...more
Blair Hodgkinson
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Steven A. McKay, author of the Forest Lord series about Robin Hood, tries his hand at a new character and a new time period with The Druid.

It's McKay's custom to deliver lots of action in his novels and The Druid is no exception. I think this may be his most action-packed novel so far. There are battles, raids, duels, skirmishes and chases throughout and the pacing of the novel reflects this; it's a fast-moving read.

As for the druid himself, Bellicus, McKay has created a strong protagonist who
Nicky Moxey
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read!

Thoroughly enjoyed this tale, well up to earlier standards; I look forward to the next in the series. I hope Catia is not too badly scarred by her experiences!
Dilys Guthrie
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW! What can I say about this book. It was a fantastic start to what I hope will be a long and enjoyable journey with Bellicus through Great Britian. The introduction to the main characters made for a brilliant first tale. It was set in the time, when the Romans were still a memory and Britian was still trying to repel the Angles. Little touches like the first hint at the actual parentage of Catia and the inclusion of "The Merlin" and Arthur made it all the more enjoyable. Like all good main ch ...more
Chris Thorndycroft
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good, fast-paced adventure. A man-on-a-mission yarn that put me in mind of a western transplanted in Post-Roman Britain. Plenty of action and good period detail as well as an interesting protagonist. Seems to be the beginning of an exciting series.
Richard Myers
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I have read other books by this author and I knew that I would not be disappointed at all. The characters are wonderfully described and the story won’t disappoint you at all. I highly recommend this book to everyone.
Wayne Turmel
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written climax

The author certainly did his research, and the climactic battle at the "hanging stones" was a terrific set piece. Look forward to the next installment
Speesh
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you've come across Druids in Historical Fiction novels before - old, vague, talking in 'riddles,' calling grown, bearded warriors 'my child,' wearing long white robes and mistletoe - forget them!

You need to think again.

Because Bellicus, the Druid at the heart of Steven's new series, is nothing like anything you've read before. Bellicus is big, huge in fact. He wears a brown robe, and he's young, just twenty-six. Yes, he sometimes has a beard, but it is not white, or even grey - though it migh
Kevin Gardner
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New series

Having enjoyed steven mackays forrest lord series i was eager to start this new series and i wasn't disappointed. We follow a warrior druid as he sets of to return a young female hostage abducted by a saxon war band. No spoilers but it is a good tale and a exiting start to this new series. Recommended.
Simon Howard
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With the forest Lord series Steven A McKay gave us a barnstorming version of Robin Hood, now he moves further back in British history to a time just after the Romans have left and the Old ways are starting to make a comeback and the Britons are desperately fighting off the Saxons. The Druids despite being decimated by the Romans play a big part in this and one Druid in particular Bellicus a young giant of a man, a commanding presence wise beyond his years with Druid lore and an almost preternatu ...more
Adam Ranger
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I did enjoy this book.. Though like his Robin Hood Series I had to first suspend some disbelief. The Druid in Question is in his 20's and yet he id chief Druid to a major king.. and he he can fight like no other warrior.. the way he dispatches a Saxon champion is quite fantastical. Also there is an ex centurion who was only 19 when a centurion.. now a portly baker. but who turns again to hard muscle in a few days..

But putting these tings aside it is a good intro to further stories.. We meet Arth
Sue Cross
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reasonable romp through the dark ages - some rather tedious historical padding, a few minor inconsistencies (mentions of use of saddles in one group who turn out to all be on foot throughout their journey, one person saying something, then another person reported as saying it the next chapter). Lack of attention to detail really, which is strange because one detail which has WAY too much attention is the author’s obsession with the size of the main character Belicus, who is apparently very tal ...more
Chasity Gaines
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intense and Entertaining Read

I have enjoyed reading and following along with Bellicus, the Druid, as he tracks down, Catia, the young Princess who is abducted by the foreign Saxons because of her magical and royal blood.

Through the imposing druid's journey, he crosses path with Merlin and Arthur as they are getting ready for a major battle. Bellicus and Merlin talk about how the old ways were being incorporated into the new Christian religion threatening their culture and traditions.

Steven McK
Gordon
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
"I have to say I had looked forward to reading this book for some time and it promised to be every bit what I hoped, I felt like I had been taken back in time and it felt right. It was great to see old name places used including Jutland, and reading famous names that I knew myself from history. Bringing in the mythical Arthur Pendragon and Melin, although I loved the twist that it was a title for the head of the Druid order. The thought that Hengist would be High King would be a mere dream had h ...more
Kenneth E Holmes
Good read but full of grammatical and a major historical error

The author States many people read his msg for errors ,but except for the first few chapters every single compound sentence lacks punctuation. There are also several "wonky" sentences that should have been rewritten. My main problem with his facts is this--he keeps referring to the bad guys as Saxons, but their homeland is Jutland. Rutland was and is part of Denmark, I.e. Norse. Saxons were from that part of Germany on the Northern Se
Pat G.
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bellicus the Druid is attending a dinner with Coroticus the High King of the Damnonii and his wife Queen Narnia along with the people of Dun Buic. Lord Nectvelius is pleased to be having the dinner and the presence of the King and Queen. Also in attendance is Princess Catia. Suddenly the party is raided by Saxons. The surrounding homes are set on fire and in all the confusion Princess Catia is abducted. The story is fast moving and exciting and Bellicus is determined to rescue Catia. Loved this ...more
David
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Druid

A great story, well rounded characters set in a turbulent past. I could imagine myself in the Druids shoes, the worry of finding out you are a father to a daughter abducted by the hated Saxons. I could feel the emotions in the chase to find his daughter, the violence is told in a realistic way that lets you feel what it could be like. It's a well thought out story with plenty of blood and guts which will carry you on into the next book in the series. Fab
Mr N Murray
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put it down.

I did not think that Forest Lord could be bested, how wrong can you be. I found it difficult to put down each chapter leading to the next, a really great read, I highly recommend it to lovers of historical novels. Only one negative comment,it would be useful to have the modern day name in brackets next to the old names so you do not have to refer to the back pages
Jon Hollihan
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced novel set in the unique post-Roman, pre-Viking time period. As the Saxons push to claim the land of the Britons, the land is ripe for war & conquest. A bold move sets in motion the chase. Well developed characters, details of the landscape, and interesting descriptions of the rituals and lifestyles makes for a well done story.
Jack
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like the dark ages of Britain’s history, then this book is for you.

A well spun story with likeable characters and a plot line that surprises and delights. It transported me into the mysteries of that age and left me wishing the next book in the series was available today.
Blake
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mckay really hits his stride with this one. Being "Dark Age" Britain he embraces the little known historical facts we have about the era and creates a diverse, personal, and relatable character who takes on adversity from outside influences as well as internal hardship. He's really got a good story unfolding, and I look forward to the next installment of the series.
shaun a doyle
Good read

This was an ok read, not cast good as the authors other work, in my opinion. This felt far to dragged out and too much happend that was more in touch with Childish games than what you would expect to happen at the prelude to a battle. Not sure I will purchase the next book in this series...
Richard R., Martin
This is a great book. The characters are well developed and the flow of the book is good. The only reason I gave it only 4 stars is that there were far too many open story lines so the reader would not be satisfied just reading this book but feel that they have to move on the next book in the series.
michelle jenkins
Awesome book

Wow, unbelievable, when I started reading this almost from the first page i could visualise very detail. I was so engrossed that I read it right through, then read it again at a slower pace in case I'd missed something. This is one amazing book
Gary B Thompson
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forest Lord to King

Excellent start to new series. Forest Lord was an excellent series that was very unexpected.
Angus Donald would have been proud.
This is more Skystone than traditional Robin Hood.
Well worth a read.
Cathy Delamotte
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fine story

This book held my interest from page one. This period in time contains much magic and wars from long ago. The druids are not documented due to lack of facts. It was a wonderful view of their society.
william m. selman
A Warrior Priest

Truly loved this story about the past. Filled with all a Druid was as he sought to fulfill a mission only a Druid could complete. Faith was with him always. This book needs to be read by any history buff tired of textbook banality.
  • The Flame of Resistance (The Lost King, #1)
  • Fate's Needle (Ulfrik Ormsson's Saga #1)
  • Land of the Sacred Fire (Legionary, #3)
  • Odin's Child (Odd Tangle-Hair Saga #1)
  • Harald Hardrada: The Last Viking
  • Sorrow Hill (Beowulf: Sword of Woden #1)
  • The Holy Lance (The English Templars #1)
  • The Golden Horn (Last Viking, #1)
  • Fury of the Northmen
  • The Book of Dreams (Saxon, #1)
  • A Mighty Dawn (The Wanderer Chronicles #1)
  • Imperial Fire
  • Brunanburh - A novel of 937 (Chronicles of the English, #1)
  • Hereward: The Devil's Army (Hereward, #2)
  • Arthur Britannicus (Forgotten Emperor #1)
  • The Lord of Vik-lo (The Norsemen Saga, #3)
  • 1066: What Fates Impose
  • Blood Will Follow (The Valhalla Saga, #2)
I was born in 1977, near Glasgow in Scotland and live in Old Kilpatrick with my wife and two young children. After obtaining my Bachelor of Arts degree I decided to follow my life-long ambition and write a novel. The Forest Lord series now has four novels, and various short spin-off tales.

My new book "The Druid" is the first in the Warrior Druid of Britain series. Next I will be finishing off my s