Start by marking “Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop” as Want to Read:
Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop

Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop

Become enamored with the splendor of Paris in this heartwarming and delightful story about writing one’s own destiny and finding love along the way.

Vanessa Yu never wanted to see people’s fortunes—or misfortunes—in tea leaves.

Ever since she can remember, Vanessa Yu has been able to see people’s fortunes at the bottom of their teacups. To avoid blurting out their fortunes,
Published August 4th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop

Start your review of Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop
Kaceey
I really wanted to love this book as much as her previous release, but it just lacked any of the magic of Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune, a favorite of mine last year.

Vanessa has a gift, but she considers it more of a curse. She has the ability to see into the future and can’t help herself from blurting out all that she sees. No matter the recipient... or the news. Her aunt Evelyn has volunteered to help Vanessa learn to manage and control this miraculous gift.

Perhaps with help Vanessa
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is what I need! This is amazing way the escape from the reality and let your minds get a free ticket to a colorful, entertaining, romantic and magical journey! It was like virtual Disneyland tour with Eastern cultural vibrations! This book brings out the happy child I hid inside and help me see the beauties of the world in these bleak and dark days!

Prophecies, matchmakers, magical realism, lots of delicious pastries, tea parties with predictions and true, heartfelt, poignant, beautiful roma
Berit☀️✨
Matchmaking and magic. Second chances and new beginnings. Food and family. Roselle Lim whisked me away to Paris with her lovely descriptive storytelling. Vanessa has been able to taste the future since she was young whenever she drinks tea. Even though she no longer drinks tea she still is compelled to burst out loud with her predictions. Something she is not thrilled about, especially because a lot of predictions are disturbing. I mean you wouldn’t want to tell your cousin at her wedding that h ...more
Toni
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it

I was swept away by Roselle Lim's debut novel 'Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune'. It was sweet, adorable, full of magic and delicious recipes that could give you love, tenderness, or courage, depending on what you need the most in your life. Her second novel, Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris tea shop is as exquisite as Natalie Tan.

I must say I didn't get into the book straightaway. Vanessa seemed so withdrawn and passive, almost invisible in her loud, well-meaning, but interfering family. She ha
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Roselle Lim writes the most charming stories with touches of magic.

Vanessa Yu can read fortunes in tea leaves. She doesn’t want this gift, though, and it makes her life more difficult.

On top of that, her singleness has her parents up in arms and hiring a matchmaking expert from Shanghai.

Vanessa sees a fate in the tea leaves that disturbs her. From this point, she decides she has to get rid of this ability so she can live her life. Her aunt Evelyn whisks her away to Paris where she works in her a
Jayme
Vanessa Vu never wanted to see people’s fortunes or misfortunes, in tea leaves, and she has never embraced the gift of fortune telling that she was born with.

But, these visions are taking a toll on her life, physically and emotionally, so her Aunties check her Goodreads account to make sure the paperback romances they are buying her for her thirteen hour plane ride, have not been read -
(❤️love that! )
before sending her off to Paris to study under the other family fortune teller, Aunt Evelyn, i
Heather
This was a magical read full of family, love & Parisian food. Vanessa was a character I fell in love with and wanted her to find love so bad. I loved reading her journey going to Paris to learn more about her 'prophecy gift' and experience Paris for the first time.
Overall a cute book plus all the food...made me hungry for days.
Susanne  Strong
Sep 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, buddy-read
Vanessa Yu has a gift. One which has ruled her life and one, which she has fought against her whole life. Vanessa is a clairvoyant. She can read fortunes at the bottom of one’s teacups and once she sees the future she is unable to hold in her prediction.

Sadly, this has caused Vanessa much strife as she often sees pain and despair instead of happiness and light. The only thing that Vanessa wants in life is to find love and because of her gift, it alludes her. Vanessa therefore, would do anything
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one! It was definitely odd to me because i'm not used to magical realism but it was kind of fun to see a 'that's so raven' moment in a women's fiction novel. I definitely do not consider this one a romance as it focuses more on relationship development between Vanessa and her aunt versus her cute relationship with her boy. I enjoyed her aunt's storyline plus love. I'm taking a star off because Vanessa was kind of like a teenager in fantasy movies/books. She whined about her magica ...more
DeAnn
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
3.5 Parisian stars (rounded up)

This was a whimsical, delightful trip to Paris, filled with delicious descriptions of food, especially pastries. This one made me long for a trip to France, but only armchair travel for now.

Vanessa is part of a big family in San Francisco, working on the accounting side for the family. She’s been gifted with the fortune teller gene, but she has fought it her whole life. After a particularly bad forecast at her cousin’s wedding, she decides to head to Paris with Aun
Yna the Mood Reader

Much thanks to Caffeine Book Tours and Berkley Romance for sending me a copy for review and for inviting me to be a part of this tour. This review is voluntary and opinions are fully my own. Also, all quotes are taken from the ARC and may or may not appear in the final published copy.

📚 Series? No.

Jen
May 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Colleen
4 Stars

*A scrumptious story about destiny, love, and finding a purpose in life*

Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune really struck a chord with me last year, so I was excited to read Lim's next book. Plus it had the added bonus of the Paris setting which was great given how badly I've been craving some vicarious travel.

Vanessa Y’s Magical Paris Tea Shop tells the story of a young woman with the ability to see people’s future in tea leaves. But Vanessa sees this ability as a burden not a gift a
Linden
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like stories with a bit of magic. I like feel-good stories with happy endings (especially now with so much uncertainty in the world). I found both of these in Roselle Lim’s first novel, Natalie Tan’s Book of Luck and Fortune, and am happy to say, also in this new book. Vanessa Yu has a gift she never wanted: she can randomly predict the future. Often her predictions are awkward and make others feel bad, like when she predicted divorce at a wedding. It’s a family trait, so she goes to Paris wit ...more
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
I am super excited to give this author another try

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Alexa
3.5 stars, but had to round it up because this novel left me feeling delighted. Lim portrays Paris (and the food you might find there) in a delightful way, all while bringing a story (with a hint of magic) to life about one young woman figuring out what she wants out of her life. Definitely can recommend that you check this one out!
Precious ✨
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
& now that I've sat with this for a bit longer I can finally write this review.

What a wonderful trip to Paris, and yes I mean this book.
description

This is my first time reading anything by Roselle Lin and I was most blown away by her prose. From the scenery descriptions, to the vibrant magic that embraces even the mundane. What I took away the most was that this novel was unique beyond measure to me.

The story follows Vanessa Yu and her search to control her predictions. Like anyone with some sort of magi
Tiffany (Read By Tiffany)
Warning: Do not read this book on an empty stomach. 😭🥟

Today’s blog post is super exciting because I’m sharing my review and moodboard of Vanessa Yu’s Magical Paris Tea Shop as a tour stop for Caffeine Book Tours. Roselle Lim’s writing whisked me into a magical, romantic world that reminded me of my favorite cheesy (yet incredibly feel-good) Lifetime movies.

Vanessa Yu’s Magical Paris Tea Shop follows Vanessa, a Chinese-American accountant who also happens to possess the ability to tell fortunes b
Ms. Woc Reader
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: magical-realism

This book is great if you ever dream of going to Paris and having the art loving and culinary adventure of a lifetime. Vanessa Yu and her aunt love to eat. In fact her whole family loves to eat and this book had me craving everything from Peking duck to sweet crepes and prosciutto pizza. They eat so don't go into this book without a snack ready.

But Vanessa has a special ability she was born with that allows her to see other people's futures and it sometimes causes problems. When Vanessa sees a f
Annette
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I basically won the lottery and was able to read an early copy of VANESSA YU'S MAGICAL PARIS TEA SHOP.

This is the second book I've read by Roselle Lim, and it did not disappoint. It made me hungry (her food descriptions will make your mouth water, so be sure to snack while you read) and swept me up in its magic.

I love this book so much. It's romantic, wonderful, and made me want to hop on a plane to Paris. I can't wait to read it again.
Sherwood Smith
Aug 03, 2020 added it
Shelves: fantasy
Vanessa Yu can see people's futures, good and bad, in their teacups and blurts them out against her will. Some of these predictions cause hurt, which hurts her. She hates her gift, causing friction with her aunt who also inherited the family gift, only in the form of clairvoyance.

Vanessa has no love life because of this gift. Her aunt insists that’s the cost of the gift, making Vanessa even more angry . . . but at the same time, she resists her mother’s forceful attempts at matchmaking. So she g
Samantha (WLABB)
Vanessa never saw her clairvoyance as a gift. Rather, it was a plague which kept her from forming any meaningful relationships outside of her family. After the very unfortunate timing of one of her visions, Vanessa decides it is time to get her "gift" under control. That means lessons with Aunt Evelyn, the other fortune teller in the family. Though she was not looking forward to being under Aunt Evelyn's tutelage, she was excited that her lessons would take place in Paris. Maybe even she could f ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I picked this to have a lighter read and it fulfilled that role; I always meant to read the author's earlier book - "Natalie Tan’s Book of Luck and Fortune" - but haven't yet. I think they are related but I didn't feel lost in this one. Vanessa has the family gift of telling fortunes and it happens against her will, often when she drinks tea. She's fought it but soon discovers she may have no choice. She moves to Paris with her aunt to train her abilities while her aunt opens a tea shop.

There is
belle ☆ミ (thisbellereadstoo)
One might think being able to read the future from tea leaves is fun and interesting but soon we’ll find out the extent of sadness when it comes to predicting unfortunate events. Without being trained, Vanessa Yu finds herself blurting out all her predictions whenever it comes to her and that extends to predicting death and separation. In Vanessa Yu’s Magical Paris Tea Shop, Vanessa’s done resisting her ability. Instead, she’s trying to control her powers and determine her own future.

Vanessa has
Morgan
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is a book of many facets.
Vanessa belongs to a large Chinese/American family where the elders cling to the old ways and the younger generation are 99% (almost) American, so the family dynamic is interesting. The various Aunts are nothing if not amusing!

Vanessa is repelled by her eerie ‘gift’ of seeing people’s fortunes &/or misfortunes. Her Aunt Evelyn also has this exceptional ‘gift’ which she has accepted and is able to discipline it.
She invites Vanessa to Paris where she is opening a ve
Lorilin
Aug 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, arc
Vanessa is a young, single woman who has an uncanny ability to see the future when she looks into her tea cup. Her prophecies come bubbling out of her, and she’s helpless to stop them. Oftentimes she’s delivering bad news (like “your husband is going to cheat on you next year” to a bride-to-be, or “your best friend is having a heart attack right now” to a beloved family member). As a result, many people find her odd and, well, depressing. Vanessa hates her gift but doesn’t know how to stop it, s ...more
Melissa
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After enjoying Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune, I was thrilled to find out that Roselle Lim was publishing another book this summer. I also enjoyed Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop. I didn't expect the magical realism in Natalie Tan, but this time around, I knew it was coming and was able to enjoy it for what it was worth. I liked the imagery that Roselle created through magical realism.

The premise of the story was interesting and the characters were a lot of fun. All the aunties medd
ikram
full review can be found on my blog!

First thing first, I adore Roselle Lim’s writing so much! She took me on a tour from Palo Alto to Paris, following Vanessa’s and her aunt’s journey. The description of the food is so tempting--it makes me want to eat every food in this book. Roselle Lim’s writing makes me visualize everything easier; the food, the Parisian street, how Vanessa felt.

The story itself doesn’t really feel like romance for me. Yes, there’s romance, but, the story is more focused on
Vicky Again
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this was so lovely, and absolutely lived up to the magnificence that was Lim's debut! it's equally delicious (you will be SO hungry while reading!) and absolutely lush in the way that magic and reality were woven together.

clairvoyance, matchmaking, and family all play such a huge role in this story--and of course with some romantic undertones! I would highly recommend you pick up all of Roselle Lim's books for swept-off-your-feet levels of delightful.
Kara
I picked it up because of the title and the magical realism. I wanted something fluffy, but this was a little too silly for me. It was very cute, and I liked all of Vanessa’s family dynamics, but I had a tough time with the writing.

That said! I’ve recommended this to a couple of friends because it’s easy and wholesome: it just wasn’t for me.

• welcome to ghost town
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • If on a Winter's Night a Traveler
  • Room Magazine (42.1)
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • The Hating Game
  • 99 Percent Mine
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • Hunted by the Sky (The Wrath of Ambar, #1)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • No One Tells You This
  • Three Perfect Liars
  • The Last Confession of Autumn Casterly
  • A Dead Djinn in Cairo
  • Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
Roselle Lim was born in the Philippines and immigrated to Canada as a child. She lived in north Scarborough in a diverse, Asian neighbourhood.

She found her love of writing by listening to her lola (paternal grandmother's) stories about Filipino folktales. Growing up in a household where Chinese superstition mingled with Filipino Catholicism, she devoured books about mythology, which shaped the fan

Articles featuring this book

“There isn't anything wrong with knowing that something will expire. It focuses you: treasure the time you have together.” 0 likes