Start by marking “Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop” as Want to Read:

Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop

Become enamored with the splendor of Paris in this heartwarming and delightful story about writing one’s own destiny and finding love along the way.

Vanessa Yu never wanted to see people’s fortunes -- or misfortunes -- in tea leaves.

Ever since she can remember, Vanessa Yu has been able to see people’s fortunes at the bottom of their teacups. To avoid blurting out their fort
Published August 4th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop, please sign up.
audrey This is incredibly suitable for fifth graders. I read nothing in here I would see as challenging for a middle schooler.

Start your review of Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop
elena ❀ [on hiatus bc of finals]
You will survive. No matter how hard it seems now, the hurt will fade in time. It does not, however, go away: it’s like a scar. On your worst days, it will reopen, bringing all of the pain with it, but on your best days, you’ll remember the good and feel grateful for the memories.

5-star reads are quite rare for me, but this book deserves nothing but all my love.

Vanessa Yu has the ability to see people’s fortunes, but she’s not happy to have this power. Although she tries her hardest
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is what I need! This is amazing way the escape from the reality and let your minds get a free ticket to a colorful, entertaining, romantic and magical journey! It was like virtual Disneyland tour with Eastern cultural vibrations! This book brings out the happy child I hid inside and help me see the beauties of the world in these bleak and dark days!

Prophecies, matchmakers, magical realism, lots of delicious pastries, tea parties with predictions and true, heartfelt, poignant, beautiful roma
Kaceey
I really wanted to love this book as much as her previous release, but it just lacked any of the magic of Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune, a favorite of mine last year.

Vanessa has a gift, but she considers it more of a curse. She has the ability to see into the future and can’t help herself from blurting out all that she sees. No matter the recipient... or the news. Her aunt Evelyn has volunteered to help Vanessa learn to manage and control this miraculous gift.

Perhaps with help Vanessa
Berit Talks Books
Matchmaking and magic. Second chances and new beginnings. Food and family. Roselle Lim whisked me away to Paris with her lovely descriptive storytelling. Vanessa has been able to taste the future since she was young whenever she drinks tea. Even though she no longer drinks tea she still is compelled to burst out loud with her predictions. Something she is not thrilled about, especially because a lot of predictions are disturbing. I mean you wouldn’t want to tell your cousin at her wedding that h ...more
Toni
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss2020

I was swept away by Roselle Lim's debut novel 'Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune'. It was sweet, adorable, full of magic and delicious recipes that could give you love, tenderness, or courage, depending on what you need the most in your life. Her second novel, Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris tea shop is as exquisite as Natalie Tan.

I must say I didn't get into the book straightaway. Vanessa seemed so withdrawn and passive, almost invisible in her loud, well-meaning, but interfering family. She ha
Larry H
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Roselle Lim's second novel, Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop , has a little romance, a little drama, a little clairvoyance—and lots of yummy-sounding food!!

Ever since Vanessa was young she has been able to see people’s fortunes at the bottom of her teacups. But blurting out prophecies hasn’t always worked for her—so much so, she switched to coffee and has tried to sublimate her skills, much to the anger of her Aunt Evelyn, a talented clairvoyant.

Now Vanessa is facing pressure fro
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Roselle Lim writes the most charming stories with touches of magic.

Vanessa Yu can read fortunes in tea leaves. She doesn’t want this gift, though, and it makes her life more difficult.

On top of that, her singleness has her parents up in arms and hiring a matchmaking expert from Shanghai.

Vanessa sees a fate in the tea leaves that disturbs her. From this point, she decides she has to get rid of this ability so she can live her life. Her aunt Evelyn whisks her away to Paris where she works in her a
Jayme
Vanessa Vu never wanted to see people’s fortunes or misfortunes, in tea leaves, and she has never embraced the gift of fortune telling that she was born with.

But, these visions are taking a toll on her life, physically and emotionally, so her Aunties check her Goodreads account to make sure the paperback romances they are buying her for her thirteen hour plane ride, have not been read -
(❤️love that! )
before sending her off to Paris to study under the other family fortune teller, Aunt Evelyn, i
Jen
May 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Heather
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a magical read full of family, love & Parisian food. Vanessa was a character I fell in love with and wanted her to find love so bad. I loved reading her journey going to Paris to learn more about her 'prophecy gift' and experience Paris for the first time.
Overall a cute book plus all the food...made me hungry for days.
Susanne
Sep 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, buddy-read
Vanessa Yu has a gift. One which has ruled her life and one, which she has fought against her whole life. Vanessa is a clairvoyant. She can read fortunes at the bottom of one’s teacups and once she sees the future she is unable to hold in her prediction.

Sadly, this has caused Vanessa much strife as she often sees pain and despair instead of happiness and light. The only thing that Vanessa wants in life is to find love and because of her gift, it alludes her. Vanessa therefore, would do anything
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one! It was definitely odd to me because i'm not used to magical realism but it was kind of fun to see a 'that's so raven' moment in a women's fiction novel. I definitely do not consider this one a romance as it focuses more on relationship development between Vanessa and her aunt versus her cute relationship with her boy. I enjoyed her aunt's storyline plus love. I'm taking a star off because Vanessa was kind of like a teenager in fantasy movies/books. She whined about her magica ...more
DeAnn
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
3.5 Parisian stars (rounded up)

This was a whimsical, delightful trip to Paris, filled with delicious descriptions of food, especially pastries. This one made me long for a trip to France, but only armchair travel for now.

Vanessa is part of a big family in San Francisco, working on the accounting side for the family. She’s been gifted with the fortune teller gene, but she has fought it her whole life. After a particularly bad forecast at her cousin’s wedding, she decides to head to Paris with Aun
Yna from Books and Boybands

Much thanks to Caffeine Book Tours and Berkley Romance for sending me a copy for review and for inviting me to be a part of this tour. This review is voluntary and opinions are fully my own. Also, all quotes are taken from the ARC and may or may not appear in the final published copy.

📚 Series? No.
📚 Genre? Adult > Contemporary > Romance
📚 POV? Third person
📚 Cliffhanger? No.

⚠ Content Warnings: Near-death experience, racism
⚠ Book Tags : Clairvoyance. Large family. Travel. Paris. East Asian represent
Colleen
4 Stars

*A scrumptious story about destiny, love, and finding a purpose in life*

Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune really struck a chord with me last year, so I was excited to read Lim's next book. Plus it had the added bonus of the Paris setting which was great given how badly I've been craving some vicarious travel.

Vanessa Y’s Magical Paris Tea Shop tells the story of a young woman with the ability to see people’s future in tea leaves. But Vanessa sees this ability as a burden not a gift a
Linden
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like stories with a bit of magic. I like feel-good stories with happy endings (especially now with so much uncertainty in the world). I found both of these in Roselle Lim’s first novel, Natalie Tan’s Book of Luck and Fortune, and am happy to say, also in this new book. Vanessa Yu has a gift she never wanted: she can randomly predict the future. Often her predictions are awkward and make others feel bad, like when she predicted divorce at a wedding. It’s a family trait, so she goes to Paris wit ...more
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
I am super excited to give this author another try

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Alexa
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, but had to round it up because this novel left me feeling delighted. Lim portrays Paris (and the food you might find there) in a delightful way, all while bringing a story (with a hint of magic) to life about one young woman figuring out what she wants out of her life. Definitely can recommend that you check this one out!
Precious ✨
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
& now that I've sat with this for a bit longer I can finally write this review.

What a wonderful trip to Paris, and yes I mean this book.
description

This is my first time reading anything by Roselle Lin and I was most blown away by her prose. From the scenery descriptions, to the vibrant magic that embraces even the mundane. What I took away the most was that this novel was unique beyond measure to me.

The story follows Vanessa Yu and her search to control her predictions. Like anyone with some sort of magi
Ellery Adams
Jan 08, 2021 rated it liked it
A sweet story filled with magical realism and romance.
Simone
Nov 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This was definitely the book I needed to get me out of my reading slump. A story that features my favorite things? Yes, please sign me up. It has magic, food, Paris, and a story about a young woman who's trying to find herself. It's also got a little bit of romance, a smidgen of mystery, and of course there's some magical powers.

The descriptions and usage of food in this book was drool-worthy. I found myself craving one thing after another especially when Vanessa's vision came with an olfactory
Ms. Woc Reader
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: magical-realism

This book is great if you ever dream of going to Paris and having the art loving and culinary adventure of a lifetime. Vanessa Yu and her aunt love to eat. In fact her whole family loves to eat and this book had me craving everything from Peking duck to sweet crepes and prosciutto pizza. They eat so don't go into this book without a snack ready.

But Vanessa has a special ability she was born with that allows her to see other people's futures and it sometimes causes problems. When Vanessa sees a f
Lata
A satisfying romance for a woman who'd been told that because of her unwanted gift of premonition, there was no possibility of a relationship in her life.

In the Yu family, there are two women with the ability to foretell the future:
-Vanessa Yu, an accountant in her family’s business, whose unprovoked premonitions leave her feeling out of control of her life and convinced she s doing nothing but hurting others.
-Vanessa's aunt Evelyn, who is clairvoyant, and secretive about her personal life. Sh
Anniek
This was a slow read for me, both because the book moves quite slowly and because I wanted to savour it. I absolutely loved the magical, atmospheric writing, which made me feel transported to Paris. The descriptions of the food and the setting were my favourite part of this book!
Zev
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book was almost parodic in its levels of rom-com-ness, right down to the uncreative, stupid title that the author probably slapped on at the last minute. Vanessa doesn't own the tea shop. Her aunt does. Vanessa travels to Paris for a little while. I liked the thread of magical realism throughout the book, even if it took a sharp turn to an adult woman having a psychic power more befitting of a teenage girl. Vanessa blushes and bites her lip a lot, which again, is a specific rom-com trope I ...more
tiffany (readbytiffany)
Warning: Do not read this book on an empty stomach. 😭🥟

Today’s blog post is super exciting because I’m sharing my review and moodboard of Vanessa Yu’s Magical Paris Tea Shop as a tour stop for Caffeine Book Tours. Roselle Lim’s writing whisked me into a magical, romantic world that reminded me of my favorite cheesy (yet incredibly feel-good) Lifetime movies.

Vanessa Yu’s Magical Paris Tea Shop follows Vanessa, a Chinese-American accountant who also happens to possess the ability to tell fortunes b
Michelle
Aug 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio
Audiobook.

Worst book I’ve “read” in a LONG time, definitely the worst of the year. I’ve never given a book just 1 Star. I was arguing out loud with it, pointing out its flaws and stupidity. I considered not finishing it.

An overarching reason why is that the narrator was awful. Everything sounded whiny and annoying. I did wonder if maybe I’d like it more if I read it in my own voice, without the upward questioning lilt at the end of most of the sentences, but I doubt it, because the writing was s
Nursebookie
By Roselle Lim

What is it about books with Paris in the title that I navigate to and just absolutely want to read. This one is no exception and such a fun read too! Reading a previous book by Roselle Lim, I know that I would be in it for some swoon full of romance, and a magical adventure. Lim does not disappoint and delivers in this amazing story that whisked me away to an entertaining adventure through Paris.

When you can see the future is that a gift or a cur
Sherwood Smith
Aug 03, 2020 added it
Shelves: fantasy
Vanessa Yu can see people's futures, good and bad, in their teacups and blurts them out against her will. Some of these predictions cause hurt, which hurts her. She hates her gift, causing friction with her aunt who also inherited the family gift, only in the form of clairvoyance.

Vanessa has no love life because of this gift. Her aunt insists that’s the cost of the gift, making Vanessa even more angry . . . but at the same time, she resists her mother’s forceful attempts at matchmaking. So she g
Sara
“One of our family touchstones was to eat our feelings.”

This was like eating candies —sweet and lush at the beginning when you get to taste just a few but slowly making you sick when the numbers build up.

It started off as a lovely story about Vanessa, a Chinese-American with clairvoyant abilities which she's trying her best to surpass because they brought her nothing but pain. Her aunt Evelyn is the only other relative that has similar powers but where Vanessa loathes her tactless future predic
Cannonball Readers: How are you finding new books during the pandemic? 6 8 Nov 26, 2020 05:11AM

• welcome to ghost town
  • This is How You Lose the Time War
  • If on a Winter's Night a Traveler
  • Room Magazine (42.1)
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • The Hating Game
  • 99 Percent Mine
  • Annihilation
  • Hunted by the Sky (The Wrath of Ambar, #1)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • No One Tells You This
  • Three Perfect Liars
  • The Last Confession of Autumn Casterly
  • A Dead Djinn in Cairo (Dead Djinn Universe, #0.1)
  • Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015 (Dead Djinn Universe, #0.3)
  • Private Lessons
See top shelves…
Roselle Lim was born in the Philippines and immigrated to Canada as a child. She lived in north Scarborough in a diverse, Asian neighbourhood.

She found her love of writing by listening to her lola (paternal grandmother's) stories about Filipino folktales. Growing up in a household where Chinese superstition mingled with Filipino Catholicism, she devoured books about mythology, which shaped the fan

Articles featuring this book

“There isn't anything wrong with knowing that something will expire. It focuses you: treasure the time you have together.” 1 likes
“Be true to yourself and to who you are. That is the key to gaining control of your life. If you find your missing thread, you find yourself.” 1 likes