Start by marking “A Fine, Fine School” as Want to Read:
A Fine, Fine School

A Fine, Fine School

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  1,075 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews

School all weekend. School on the holidays.

School in the SUMMER!

What was next . . .

SCHOOL AT NIGHT?

Published December 23rd 2003 by HarperCollins (first published 2001)

David
For some reason my kids loved this book. Part of it was that we only read half of it before we had to rush off one day, so they begged me to finish it later that night. I actually had stopped at that point for a reason, because this book makes a great point. What is learning? What does it look like? Book learning is great, but that's not all there is to it. This book offers a really interesting way to have that discussion with kids. The pictures are funny and we liked looking at them a lot.
David
Hoda Marmar
I would rate it 4 stars but my student insisted on giving it 5 stars 😊
Tatiana
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
For my first literacy lesson plan of the semester, I chose A Fine, Fine School and the focus skill of making and confirming predictions.

This is a story about Tillie and her school’s principal, Mr. Keene, who increases school days for his “fine, fine” school to include Saturdays, and then Sundays, and then holidays, and then summer, much to the chagrin of the teachers and students. It provides a lesson on the theme of "too much of a good thing can make it unpleasant."

I love Sharon Creech's poet
Kayla
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-books
This was one of my favorite picture books as a child. I loved all of the details in the pictures, with the book titles and sticky notes and such. It is definitely a fine, fine book :)
Joelle
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous story about a principal who loves his school and teachers and students so much that he decides school should be every day-- weekends, holidays, and even summer break! It takes a wise student named Tillie who reminds the principal that there are all different kinds of learning that happens...sometimes outside of school. A GREAT read aloud!
Jasmyn
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elm-572
Mr. Keene is the principal at Tillie's School. He's so proud of his fine school, its teachers, and its students that he announces that there will be school every day, all year long. But, Tillie soon points out some serious issues with a year round school year. This is a hilarious story about what happens when the love for learning goes way too far. Tillie has to help remind Mr. Keene that summer is the time for kids to be kids, holidays are meant to be spent at home with family, and that life is ...more
Lori Spadea
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for all ages. The story was about a girl who lived with her family, her brother, and her dog Beans and went to school. The school principal was very proud of everyone at the school so he decided to have school on Saturday so they could learn more. No one told him that they didn’t want to. Then he decided that was going so well that he would have school on Sunday, then Holidays, then summer, but no one told him they didn’t want to. Finally Tillie went to the principal and tol ...more
Cathy
Mar 15, 2011 rated it liked it
One day, Mr. Keene called all the students and teachers together and said, "This is a fine, fine school! From now on, let's have school on Saturdays too." And then there was more. ..weekends, holidays, SUMMER!

So it's up to Tillie to show her well-intentioned principal, Mr. Keene, that even though his fine, fine school is a wonderful place, it's not fine, fine to be there all the time.

I enjoy Sharon Creech and wanted to read her picture book. My kids get worried or hysterical when I read the part
Josiah
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
As always, Sharon Creech tells this amusing and very fun story with a touch of mirthful class and a smooth undercurrent of understanding of the thoughts of young students.
I particularly enjoyed the little comic asides in the pictures, which are filled with subtle jokes and lots of funny moments. My favorite one of these was right near the beginning of the book, when Tillie is on the bus reading "Pleasing the Ghost", written by you-know-who. :-)
In all, this was a good book that lived up to its
Amy
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My niece loves this book and has read it several times, but this was the first time my nephew and I have read this story. All three of us had a great time with it! It's pretty fun to read out loud; it might seem kind of annoyingly repetitive at first, but the principal is just so giddy about his school and about learning, he just can't overcome his enthusiastic (if repetitive) gushing.

My nephew was very emotionally engaged with the story, groaning with misery and frustration in all the intended
Rebecca
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is good to read to make children think about what would happen if schools were opened 365 days. This book is something that the students could relate to themselves. the illustrations on this book is amazing. As the students starts going to school on the holidays and even on the weekend, the illustrator does an amazing job adding the small details on the book. For example, the reader can notice that there is a toothpaste and toothbrush in one of the student's locker. Most importantly, t ...more
Cora
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Per my first graders: I learned about school. A lot of school is not fun. (Teacher: Opinion!!! YES!) Everybody is not learning because her brother didn't go to school so she could not teach him to skip. I think her brother needs to go to school with her dog because everyone is not learning. Mr. Keene learned that everyday of school is not good because no one had time for play.
Jana
This is a fun picture book that shows us how you can have too much of a good thing. Principal Keene loves his fine, fine school and his fine, fine teachers and students so much, pretty soon everyone is going to school on weekends, holidays and in the summer! Will he come to his senses? Great illustrations support the text.
The Styling Librarian
A Fine, Fine School by Sharon Creech, pictures by Harry Bliss – Fabulous book, love Sharon Creech, wonderful school, hilarious storyline, should be shared every year- to lead discussions on balance between school and time at home, learning, need for independence, and more…
Brandon Menjivar
I think this book is well done as in it has really good words for someone to find them or I don't know its about some kids that go to school, and well the school is called this is a fine, fine school. They study all kind of stuff like dragons and stuff like that.
Colby Sharp
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I must read this book aloud to my fourth graders.
Michele and her First Graders
this book elicited many moans and groans and (finally!) cheers at the end from sympathetic students.
Shelby
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
this is a good book and i didnt know that this book was wrote by sharon creech
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I used this book to teach the signpost "Again and Again" to my 4th and 5th grade students.
Kim
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite read-alouds for kids of all grades! Principal Keen loves the school, the kids, the teachers so much, he just wants more school! More school on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays - summer break - more school! Until one day a student tells him her brother can't learn to skip and she herself can't learn to sit in her tree with all the school, all the time.
Chie Wetzel
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a funny book! School principal gets excited to have a better school, fine fine school. But he does not see what happens in the school after he makes crazy decisions. My grade two students love this book.
Hannah Everett
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is just a cute little story. I enjoyed the relationship between the brother and sister. I also enjoyed how passionate the principal was even though he might not have gone about it the right way.
Savannah Rollins
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-308-books
The principal wants to have school in the summer and during holidays but one of the students makes a plan to save her vacations.
Santina Galati
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read aloud for kindergarten students and focuses on repetition of words!
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute book we read with some of our ESL students today. They loved making inferences using this book.
Courtney
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yay
was good!
Jessica
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: realistic
1. This book is a Irma Black Award Nominee.
2. This book is appropriate for 1st-3rd grades.
3. Mr. Keene, the principal, thinks he has a very fine school, with very fine teachers, and very fine students. So fine, that he thinks there should be school on Saturdays too... and Sundays, holidays, and during the summer! Since no-one has the courage to speak to Mr. Keene it is up to Tillie to let him know that even though school is wonderful, there are many things to learn at home!
4. This was a beauti
Katie Ollenburger
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beth
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my students every year. Love it.
Alisha
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sharon Creech has written many books, including the Newberry Medal book Walk Two Moons (which is an excellent read). She teamed up with Harry Bliss, an award winning cartoonist for The New Yorker to create this fine book, A Fine Fine School.

Mr. Keene is a very happy principal who is very proud of the work his students and teachers are accomplishing. Tille is a student (based on pictures I would estimate about 8) who is a student at Mr. Keene's school. She has a close relationship with her little
  • The Principal's New Clothes
  • What You Know First (Trophy Picture Books)
  • Miss Smith's Incredible Storybook
  • Wolf!
  • Open This Little Book
  • Each Kindness
  • The Bat Boy and His Violin
I was born in South Euclid, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland, and grew up there with my noisy and rowdy family: my parents (Ann and Arvel), my sister (Sandy), and my three brothers (Dennis, Doug and Tom).
For a fictional view of what it was like growing up in my family, see Absolutely Normal Chaos. (In that book, the brothers even have the same names as my own brothers.) Our house was not only full of
More about Sharon Creech

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand