Start by marking “Black Betty” as Want to Read:
Black Betty

Black Betty

The story of Betty, and her struggle to be fully understood by her new family.
ebook
Published 2018 by Crossedgenres.com

To ask other readers questions about Black Betty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Betty

Jen
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-freebie
THIS.

THIS is why I haven’t given up on Levar Burton Reads Podcast yet.

5, ALL the amazing, wonderful, I LOVED it, you need to listen to it, stars!!!

Forgot to mention, trigger warning, animal abuse. Happens off screen, but it’s bad. Will make you angry and sad.
Shatha
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I actually listened to this on the podcast LeVar Burton reads, and it was phenomenal
Eva Ebert
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Starts as a sci-fi story with a body-modded talking dog, which turns out to actually be a tale of racism as seen through the lens of speciesism, but also a story about what it means to be a pack. It's not a seamless connection, but a very intriguing tale nonetheless and the dog, Betty, felt very real and very much like the dog from Up, although this is a far darker story. I could have used a bit more exposition about the world.
June
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nisi Shawl writes an intriguing tale using Betty, a non human protagonist who learns to understand human quirks and life in general. It is not a light fluffy tale as it shifts its tone to deal with racism and being different can be treated by others. Well read by Levar Burton.

Betsy Gant
Jun 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Overall, I thought it was okay. This is a short story about a dog dealing with racism and "pack-identity." I wish modern writers didn't feel the need to insert foul language because this would've been a hit otherwise. Can't recommend because of that.
David Blaylock
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Chrysten Lofton
4.0⭐ “ She could speak for herself. She had to.”
***Spoilers***

I’ve finally made it to the first June (LIVE) episode of Stitcher’s LeVar Burton Readss, and we’re gifted with “Black Betty” by Nisi Shawl.

Ugh, dog narratives kick me in the teeth. They really do. It’s that perspective of total innocence. I try to keep away from misanthropic thoughts, but at the end of the day, I prefer the company of animals.

This story has a lot of different values and commentaries peppered throughout, but my fav
Katherine
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this story so much. It was amazing that so much could be packed into a little tale, and the author was really able to create what felt like me to be a complete world, with characters I really felt for and cared about. I was totally rooting for Betty the whole time, and the end of the story brought tears to my eyes. I really want a whole book of Betty's adventures, or more stories set in this place.
Shelly
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved! Such an interesting story, loved the perspective from the dog. I want to know so much, and feel just like Betty, not really understanding what is really going on with life outside of the small surroundings. Clearly something has happened to regular life. We only know what Betty knows, and are as inquisitive and interested in learning, but also a bit scared and timid. Loved LeVar Burton's reading, and loved the character of Baby Blue. Made me want to cry! LOVE!
Jessie
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This story was read on one of the LeVar Burton’s podcasts. There was nothing wrong with the author’s writing. I only gave this story three stars because of a personal preference against violence towards animals.
Adrien Julious
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story so much. There was so much action for such a short story. I loved the way the author dealt with the complex issues of racism.
Rune
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The idea of talking animals is always fun. The fact that Betty sounds like the first family she lived with is super awesome. Although I liked the idea some of the language out me off the story.
Kerynne T
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A tad confusing at first, this story told through a talking dog is a story about identity, sense of belonging, and race.
Heidi
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice twist at the end. I listened to listen as a podcast (LaVar Burton Reads). He interviewed the author at the end. Nice bonus.
Kristine
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Black Betty - Nisi Shawl
Wendie Warner
Loved this story, will be checking out more from this author very soon!
Tanya
Jun 25, 2018
Steph
Jul 22, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nisi Shawl's story "Cruel Sistah" was included in The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror #19. Her work has also appeared in So Long Been Dreaming: Postcolonial Science Fiction & Fantasy and both Dark Matter anthologies. Recently she perpetrated "The Snooted One: The Historicity of Origin" at the Farrago's Wainscot website. With Cynthia Ward, she co-authored "Writing the Other: Bridging Cultural Di ...more