Start by marking “David Bowie (Little People, BIG DREAMS)” as Want to Read:
David Bowie (Little People, BIG DREAMS)

David Bowie

(Little People, Big Dreams)

New in the critically acclaimed Little People, BIG DREAMS series, discover the life of David Bowie, the starman who dazzled audiences with his music. As a child, young David had a head full of songs and ideas. He was inspired by the pop and mod scenes in Britain to pick up the saxophone. After earning his stripes in some of the coolest bands in London, David splashed onto ...more
Published May 2nd 2019 by Lincoln Children's Books (first published January 3rd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about David Bowie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about David Bowie

Start your review of David Bowie (Little People, BIG DREAMS)
PattyMacDotComma
"And by never being afraid to be himself, little David became the most unique star who ever fell to Earth."

This is another from the "little people, BIG DREAMS" collection for kids. They fall into the category of biography and history, as most of those featured made their mark some time ago.

David Bowie had a pretty normal start to life, and the illustrations show him as just one of the kids.

Illustration of little David sitting outside reading a UFO book with his little spaceman

He especially lo
Toni
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great title in the 'Little people, big dreams series'. Beautiful stylish illustrations go really well with Isabel Vegara's trademark conscise, accessible and inspiring text that introduces children to the life of this amazing artist. Great message of not being afraid to be yourself even if others might be trying hard to classify or pigeonhole you .
Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group/ Frances Lincoln Children's books for the ARC provided in exchange for an honest opinion.
David Schaafsma
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Part of Sanchez Vegara's Little People, Big Dreams series. I was bound to be a little disappointed, as excited I was to see Bowie as part of the series, the point of which is that some little people dream big and some of them get to be what they want to be. The art style could have been a little a little crazier, more inventive, and the story seemed disappointingly flat, as the point of Bowie's career seems to be reduced to his wanting to be different and famous and trying all these different st ...more
MissBecka
What a cute picture book about David Bowie.
This is great for first timers into the world that is Bowie.
The illustrations are fun and there is just enough information to pique your interest into Bowie.
I wish it had been longer; I was sad to see it end so soon.
As a fan of Bowie I felt it could have had more detail.
Thank you NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln Childrens for this DRC.
Briar's Reviews
This short and sweet little book about David Bowie is an excellent introduction to the musical legend.

I think books like these are not only great to introduce younger readers to famous individuals, but great for showing the unique life many people have led. Not everyone is "normal" or had a "normal" upbringing. Look at David Bowie and his incredible journey - he's such a wild card of a person and he's loved for it.

My favourite part of this book is the pages where it shows David in all of his wi
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This is another outstanding children's book in the Little People, Big Dreams series! In a few brief pages with simple sentences, young readers learn about David Bowie's childhood interests and rise to stardom while being comfortable in his own skin and remaining true to himself.
An excellent introduction to Bowie with great illustrations!
Thanks to Frances Lincoln Children's Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Manybooks
After now having read a number of the Little People, Big Dreams series books in Spanish (and yes, having often rather enjoyed and appreciated perusing Maria Isabel Sánchez Vegara's presented narratives in their original incarnations, not to mention being ecstatic about finding an easy and fun way to practice my rather rusty Spanish language skills with simple picture books), I also decided to try David Bowie in the latter (with the hope that I would find both the author's narrative and Ana Alber ...more
Sadie
I'm an adult Bowie admirer and I adored this. This book shows, in just a few pages and sentences, what made David Bowie so unique and special, not just as an artist, but as a human being in general.

For adult readers, this offers a very first, very basic glimpse into the world of Mr. Bowie. For children, it also delivers another strong message: Be who you want to be, don't be afraid to be yourself, dare to be different - the way David Bowie is presented as role model for pretty much everybody is
Dita
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of David Bowie I was so excited to read the newest installment in this excellent series. This book was handled really well, shares great information and bestows all of the dignity that the "Thin White Duke" deserves. Thank you for the smiles and a few tears!

Thank you to Isabel Sánchez Vegara, Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln Children's Books, and NetGalley for giving me this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Hilary
May 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
This book tells you about the life of David Bowie. As with many books from this series I found it really vague and inaccurate. The book tells of a boy who grew up liking music and dance and his tutors where not sure if he was a boy or a girl. He wrote a famous song about an astronaut and a fight changed one of his eyes from blue to brown, which it didn't, it left the pupil permanently dilated which made it look darker. I didn't like the illustrations and found it told me nothing about this perso ...more
Mel (Epic Reading)
In a step towards the other gender, Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara has taken her line of children's books called Little People, Big Dreams from primarily famous women into the stories of famous men. The idea of the series is to promote unique and influential people whom we want our children to look up to.

Obviously David Bowie was as unique a person as they come! He changed the landscape for people to start realizing that gender norms weren't necessary and that being 'weird' or 'different' was okay
Stewart Tame
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute. Definitely cute.

To be fair, I’m not really in the target audience for this book. It's aimed at young readers. More specifically, it's aimed at the parents/guardians of young readers, since it's the older folks who will be more likely to recognize the name “David Bowie. “ The book covers his career in the broadest possible terms, hewing as closely as possible to the “Little People, Big Dreams” theme. There's a two-page biography of Bowie at the end of the book that goes into very slightly m
La Coccinelle
The books in this series have been hit or miss (mostly miss) for me, but this one is up there among some of the better ones I've read. It talks about David's early life, his passions for music, art, and performing, and even how he ended up with his distinctive eyes.

The main weakness this book has is its insistence on remaining vague. For example, it refers to "Space Oddity" in the main narrative as simply "a song about a lonely astronaut". It's a famous song! Could its name not have been mention
Yoda
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely adore this series. Even though I´m not a child, obviously, they are still educational and I love reading them for my baby sister as English practice.
Cool_Moms_Read
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Bowie fans rejoice you now have a perfect little fan book to add to your collection. Hitting both demographics of small children and adults this installment from Isabel Sanchez Vegara is sure to please. A short, simple and colorful look at the inspirational life of David Bowie. If you're a Bowie fan or just a fan of being different and doing what you love this would be a perfect gift for your little reader!
Etienne
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always the same with this collection. Good, well done, and even if sometime the biography is too short or goes by too fast on some element, the result is still educative, interesting and above all, inspiring!
Emma
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it

This series is always a joy to read, it’s a really nice introduction to well known people for little children. Of course the plot is always a little bit fast but that’s to be expected and it’s totally understandable.
I like David Bowie's music quite a lot and this little book is perfect for the singer's fans who want to introduce him to little ones. But I think it's also quite enjoyable for people
Montzalee Wittmann
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
David Bowie by Isabel Sanchez Vegara is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. I think this is a great book for kids to show them that they can be themselves! It tells of Bowie as a child growing up and his interests then. It follows his story to stardom! I am glad I grew up when I did to experience his music as it happened!
I'mogén
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My wish was granted on Netgalley, but as always, all my opinions remain my own!

I have been wanting to read more muscian biographies and something like this makes it really accessible, fun and kid friendly. I like the concept of these type of books coming out of late, like the bedtime stories for rebel girls, this is reminding me of that.
I loved that at the back, it wrapped up basically what the book said but more in a straight forward, factual way.
I loved the colours and illustrations and wordi
Natalie
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

This book is another fantastic short and inspirational book for children about famous people who had dreams and went after them.
I didn't know David Bowie wasn't born with different coloured eyes and will be researching more into that out of curiosity.
The only thing I wish this book would have included is David Bowie starring in the Labyrinth film as its one of my all time fa
Elaine Mullane || At Home in Books
The Little People, Big Dreams series shares the lives of extraordinary people through adorable, quirky illustrations and simple language. Each person represented has had an incredible impact on the world, but started life as a child with a dream.

And by never being afraid to be himself, little David became the most unique star who ever to Earth.

Well, that just says it all, doesn't it?

I love this new release under the "Little People, Big Dreams" banner. And what beautiful messages for children
Karschtl
The style and text of this book aim at a very young age group (pre-school) who have probably not heard of David Bowie so far. But although it is a very short book, they get to know him fairly well. They even dedicate two pages to the reason why his eyes are 2 different colours (and I always thought he was born like that!)

Of course it is a very abridged version of his biography, but it might arouse interest to hear more about (and from) this great musician.
Thus it's a perfect gift by parents, aun
Andrea Pole
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
David Bowie by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara is another lovely addition to the Little People BIG DREAMS series, a collection that continues to charm and delight. This time, the focus is on the incomparable musician, David Bowie, and the contributions he made to the arts during an impressive and ever-evolving career. I did find the text a little light compared to previous books, but very much enjoyed the illustrations which are never short of detail, and are always full of joy and light.

Many thanks
Liliana Silva
I loved this book. In addition to having a better understanding of David Bowie's story, the way it is written is very cared for and loved, passing on a message to the children that they can follow their dreams.
Also, the illustrations are very beautiful, and just make the book better!
Panda Incognito
This is okay, but if someone punched me in the face so hard that my eye permanently changed color, I would expect my biographer to cover that issue with a lot more sensitivity and not just make it sound like a cool look.
Rachel Bridgeman
This is another brilliant book shining a light on the career and life of a person who made a massive difference to the world.
David Bowie is represented from his childhood days to his last as a chameleon who defied what society expected of him as an artsit. He broke boundaries, he broke records and challenged what was understood by gender. He was unashamedly always himself, despite being made to feel like an outsider, he existed as an emblem for the disenfranchised, the misunderstood who found re
Martina
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it

The ‘My First Little People, Big Dreams’ series provides informative and inspirational biographies about people who left a mark on this earth, no matter what difficulties they have encountered.
These stories are very short, but that’s because they’re books for children, so it’s totally understandable.
I think they are a very smart and wonderful way to introduce little children to such important figure
Literary Soirée
Oh how I adore the Little People, Big Dreams series of bios for kids, and this latest on Ziggy Stardust does not disappoint. In fact it shines as brightly as Bowie’s stellar career in music and film. Includes the absolute coolest illustrations by Ana Albero, plus a biographical timeline with historical pics and a detailed profile of the life of Iman’s husband, as über-elegant as she. 5/5

Pub Date 07 May 2019

Thanks to the author and illustrator, Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln Childrens
Donna Maguire
This is another great book to add to the Little People, Big Dreams collection!
I love this series as they are perfect introductions to young people about some of the most famous and influential people from our past and present and are also a reminder about how these people have also changed our history.
5 stars from me for this one, very highly recommended and can't wait for my daughter to get involved in the series
Athina (booknotes_athina)
I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This new addition to the Little People, Big Dreams series is one you should definitely buy for your little readers. It is very cute with beautiful illustrations and tells the story of David Bowie.
It is perfect for young readers and can offer children inspiring messages. The whole series is very empowering.
I wish this kind of books existed when I was a child.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Rosa Parks
  • Maya Angelou (Little People, Big Dreams)
  • Greta Thunberg
  • Emmeline Pankhurst
  • Rocket Says Look Up!
  • Under My Hijab
  • My Journey to the Stars
  • Neon Leon
  • Mae Jemison (Rookie Biographies)
  • Only a Witch Can Fly
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Patience, Miyuki
  • Small World
  • The Cave
  • Look, It's Raining
  • Sweep
  • You Matter
  • Portrait of an Artist: Frida Kahlo: Discover the Artist Behind the Masterpieces
Maria Isabel Sánchez Vegara, born in Barcelona, Spain, is a writer and creative director perhaps best known as the author of much of the Little People, Big Dreams series. Each book tells the childhood story of one of the world's female icons in an entertaining, conversational way that works well for the youngest nonfiction readers, allowing them to identify with the characters in each story.

Little People, Big Dreams (1 - 10 of 68 books)
  • Coco Chanel (Little People, Big Dreams, #1)
  • Frida Kahlo (Little People, Big Dreams, #2)
  • Audrey Hepburn (Pequeña & GRANDE, #3)
  • Agatha Christie (Pequeña & GRANDE, #5)
  • Marie Curie (Little People, Big Dreams, #6)
  • Ella Fitzgerald
  • Ada Lovelace (Little People, Big Dreams, #10)
  • Jane Austen (Pequeña & GRANDE, #11)
  • Georgia O'Keeffe (Pequeña & Grande, #12)
  • Amelia Earhart