Start by marking “The Passion Paradox: A Guide to Going All In, Finding Success, and Discovering the Benefits of an Unbalanced Life” as Want to Read:

The coauthors of the bestselling Peak Performance dive into the science behind passion, revealing the ways in which passion is a double-edged sword and offering a plan for following your passion and going all in without ruining your life.

Common advice is to find and follow your passion. A life of passion is a good life, or so we are told. But it's not that simple. Rarely
Published March 19th 2019 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about The Passion Paradox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Passion Paradox

Becky Wade
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steve and Brad did it again! The Passion Paradox, like Peak Performance, combines real-life experiences with the latest scientific research to give insight on some of the world’s greatest athletes, artists, entrepreneurs, businessmen/women, and more. This time, the duo tackles the loaded concept of passion, diving into the roots of the word, offering valuable examples across a multitude of fields, and challenging many of society’s assumptions about what it means and takes to be passionate. A rec ...more
Kourtney Morris
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This was the book I needed to read and it’s a book I want all my friends and family to read. It is incredibly thought provoking and written in a way that isn’t bogged down with science and research but feels very real like a conversation.
J.M.
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wisdom for All

I had this book on my radar after thoroughly enjoying Peak Performance. The authors have created another excellent work here. The research and advice that they present is very insightful and is unlike other books I’ve read on high performance and single-minded pursuits of excellence. The prose is very clean and direct. There is something here for everybody, no matter where your interests lie.
Manos Koumantakis
Unfortunately, there's nothing new in this book.
Stephanie Lam
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended for anyone with a deep passion or interest in a specific area or hobby. Great insight as to how to balance what is important in the short and long run
Youmna Harb
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, really enjoyed it. Conclusions are highlighted, and it makes it even more clear.
Alstin Benton
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book.. not as information driven as other books by Magness. It was easy to read as it read more like a story than a text book. Supported claims with research and followed up with anecdotal stories from pro athletes, actors, and business people. Bullet points at end of sections was a good refresher for main take a ways. Well done!
Lexxis Cherry
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend. An amazing glimpse into the way we view passion and how it needs to change
Victoria Klein
As an entrepreneur for 15 years, I've been told approximately 14,835 times that the key to success is to "follow your passion."

Guess what? No matter how many times I hear or read that advice, it has NEVER been helpful.

"While there are plenty of voices telling you to find your passion, there are hardly any telling you how to be passionate. The seemingly straight line to success, happiness, and fulfillment that passion promises is almost always a more complicated route littered with potential wron
David
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
quick read covering things like benefits of intrinsic motivation rather than being wrapped up in the possible external rewards for doing well at your chosen endeavor, utility of "growth mindset" a la Carol Dweck, importance of figuring out something to do next after you retire from an obsessive pursuit such as high-level sports, etc.

subtitle is a bit misleading in the sense that they actually give a nuanced (balanced?) perspective on the go-for-it/"do what you love and the money will follow" stu
Laurel
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is passion? Where does it come from? How does it effect the choices we make? These are the questions Stulberg and Magness answer through their research in The Passion Paradox. I came to a better understanding of how passion has impacted my own life- focusing on external rewards instead of becoming a better version of ourselves can lead to burnout. Our passions change and we can learn from those we have held. I appreciated their honest insight that passion is rarely (if ever) part of a balan ...more
Peter ONeill
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a bad book, but also not much of a story line. While there are some very good anecdotes that are referenced for material I feel the book lacks a way to connect with the text to nurture and grow existing passions. There are quite a few case studies and articles in this book, which I do enjoy, but the format in which they’re shared makes the book read as more of reference material than a story. I went into the book with the hopes to connect my fledgling passions to new ideas to speed their dev ...more
Lee Murray Brazos Booksellers
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Worth the Read

This book takes performance experience and Ossie. And ties them together in a unified treatment. Not strictly for runners, it addresses the subject of passion and addiction and gives structure and direction to subject.

I found many useful tools in here I plant to implement and the chapter on transition was particularly helpful since I retired last year and am transitioning from active work to active participation in some things I couldn’t do while working.

Good for athletes and anyb
Herbie Behm
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It I were mandate a class to all college freshmen, this would be a required text. This book is filled with so much useful information for anyone who is hoping to live a fulfilling life. The authors dive into the origin of passion and the often overlooked baggage that comes along with it. They also reveal steps to nurture your passion and what to do when it goes awry. It is written in a way that is simple to understand but makes a profound impact. This is going to be a book I gift to many people.
Adam Ricks
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Healthy perspective about finding and living with your Passion. I agree with the authors that our society focuses probably a bit too much on passion with a "Find your passion and jump headfirst" attitude. I appreciated their thoughts about passion, success, and finding a way to test out your passion and defining success in a way for you to succeed and live a healthy life. I also liked the perspective of "giving up your passion" at a certain point in your life. It is an aspect that many don't tal ...more
Peter Yock
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great read. Big fan of these two writers.

I’ve never read a book that so clearly articulates the idea of IDOLATRY without ever mentioning the word. As a Christian it was downright bizarre. The authors do a masterful job at articulating the pitfalls of idolatry (which they call the dark side of passion - when it controls you and your life to the detriment of your health and relationships), and provide plenty of helpful suggestions to a healthy way forward. I especially enjoyed the chap
chsmiley
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first couple of chapters were a little slow, but then it picked up and overall this was a great book for me. I got a lot of personal insights about things I was passionate about in the past until I started putting too much emphasis on external gratification and other things outside of my control. Highly recommend to anyone who is considering what it means to be passionate about something for now or for a lifetime.
Mikel Wisler
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could have read this book years ago. Of course, it just came out, so...

This book has helped me gain profound new insights into myself, my past choices, and why the transition out of my previous passion for narrative filmmaking has been so difficult, depressing, and filled with false starts. I will be going over this book again to better contemplate the insights the authors offer. This is one of those life-changing reads for me.
Mike
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written, clearly laid out book on discussing ways to look at passion, obsession, and coping with changes to those. I don't know that I agree with everything in the book, I do feel the authors clearly layout a variety of concepts and ideas for the reader to digest. Worth a read, and I do recommend this book.
Aude Hofleitner
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short read on passion and it's strength for the best and sometimes worse. The authors identify living a passion with mindfulness as the best way to benefit from it without being consumed by it.
The book is written in a very didactic way with summary of takeaways throughout the book and highlighted passages.
Santosh Kumar
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good easy read, on a topic thats pertinent in todays day and age. What exactly is ones passion, how does one create it, and how does one make sure its constructive and not self destructive , these are questions the book ably handles and leaves with actionable insights.
Michelle Payne
Parts of this book were definitely 5 star while other parts seemed rushed and not as well researched. I wish the whole book was as strong as the first few chapters. Still an informative read and worth reading.
Dana
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was good, but seemed to be missing some depth. I think I expected too much.
Lauren Simmons
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read. Great!
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*Blinkist*

You’ve probably heard all of this before... I didn’t glean any new insight from this as it was just a rehash of all the standard advice on how to live a more fulfilling life.
Madhur Ahuja
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_again
Must read. Especially for anyone who relies on intrinsic motivation and is passionate about his / her work.
Jen
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our culture seems to promote being too passionate or too balanced. As the authors here point out, why not self- aware? Be mindfully passionate for success. Balance simply doesn't exist.
Jim
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fairly quick read that will probably useful for many, especially the young.
Rhonda
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Passion can be over-rated and over-prioritised, so good to have this wake up call to look at passion in a different way. A quick read.
Amy
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good points - solid 3.5. It was good for me to read this after a less than stellar marathon before gearing up for the next one.