Start by marking “Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)

Heartstopper: Volume One

(Heartstopper #1)

4.55  ·  Rating details ·  347,794 ratings  ·  49,961 reviews
Charlie and Nick are at the same school, but they’ve never met … until one day when they’re made to sit together. They quickly become friends, and soon Charlie is falling hard for Nick, even though he doesn’t think he has a chance.

But love works in surprising ways, and Nick is more interested in Charlie than either of them realised.

By Alice Oseman, winner of the YA Book Pr
Published February 7th 2019 by Hodder Children's Books (first published October 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Heartstopper, please sign up.
˗ˏˋ paula ˎˊ˗ you're right - volume one contains chapters 1 and 2, volume two chapter 3, and volume three will contain chapter 4 :)…moreyou're right - volume one contains chapters 1 and 2, volume two chapter 3, and volume three will contain chapter 4 :)(less)
Shawna Finnigan Yep! I've only read the first two volumes but there's nothing inappropriate in the series so far :)…moreYep! I've only read the first two volumes but there's nothing inappropriate in the series so far :)(less)

·  347,794 ratings  ·  49,961 reviews

Start your review of Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
Alice Oseman
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Heartstopper started as a tiny passion project and now it's a whole book. WHAT. Nick and Charlie have been close to my heart ever since I wrote them into my first book SOLITAIRE in 2012, and I'm so, SO happy to be telling their story while also doing the thing I always said I wanted to do when I grew up - make comics.

Read the comic online:
Kai Spellmeier
I'm here to tell you that nothing is as precious as Nick & Charlie falling for each other so do not deprive yourself of this experience.

Kat
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
each time i read this it just gets better and better
Hannah Azerang
Feb 15, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
this is the most wholesome thing I’ve ever read. I think it healed me 🥲
Ariel
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
WHAT A SWEET BOY THIS BOOK IS! I can absolutely see why fans of this series are so into it: it has wonderful characters, a super sweet relationship, and constant "eee!!!" moments. <3 ...more
Ayman
Apr 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 ⭐️ this was too cute and wholesome.
daph pink ♡
Cute and adorable :)
Cindy
Jun 12, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the Netflix adaptation but don’t think I’m the target demographic for these graphic novels. Reading the comics makes it a little too obvious this was written by someone who isn't a man, which is personally distracting to me, whereas the adaptation helped bring the characters to life with queer boys playing the roles. The comics aren’t for me, but I’m glad it’s led to more opportunities within mainstream media. ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 8/20/19: I still love this SO! DANG! MUCH! Charlie and Nick are too pure and my heart is positively soaring. ALSO: This (as well as Volume 2!) are the Sassy Book Club picks for the month of August! The live-show will be on Friday, August 30th at 7pm PST on Kassie's channel. We hope to see you there!

Original read 11/23/19: Uhm hello this is MY FAVORITE GRAPHIC NOVEL EVER. I have never swooned so hard in my life omg
Emma Giordano
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars!
Bryce Rocks My Socks
The paper equivolent to grilled cheese and mac and cheese (have u ever noticed how most comfort food includes cheese?) My precious bbs. You're my cheese. 💖 💗 💓 💛 💕 💜 💖 💗 💓 💛 💕 💜 💖 💗 💓 💛 💕 💜 💖 💗 💓 💛 💕 💜 💖 💗 💓 💛 💕 💜 💖 💗 💓 💛 💕 💜 💖 💗 💓 💛 💕 💜 💖 💗 💓 💛 💕 💜 💖 💗 💓 ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
1.) Heartstopper Volume 1 ★★★★★
2.) Heartstopper Volume 2 ★★★★★
3.) Heartstopper Volume 3 ★★★★★

------------------------------------------------

2019 update - OMG I AM STILL OBSESSED WITH THIS.

OMG I AM OBSESSED WITH THIS.
ash | आश ♥ [superache enthusiast]
"Would you kiss someone who wasn't a girl?"
"I don't know."
"Would..you..kiss…me?"
"Yeah."

AHH NICK AND CHARLIE >>>

this book honestly helped me alot when i was questioning, despite not being mlm, but it will always have a special place in my heart that's cliched af i know but the gays do that sometimes <3

[reread this / buddy read this with @Phoebe in honor of the tv show coming out on the 22nd !]
Gabby
This book is insanely adorable and I can't wait to read more about these characters.
Cait (Caitsbooks)
i dont think i'll ever again feel the joy i felt while reading this series for the first time ...more
Kevin (Irish Reader)
April 23rd 2022: Reread before I watch the adaptation. Still love it just as much as before. This series just radiates happiness and I love it!

April 17th 2020: Reread and once again 5 stars! Loved it so much the second time around! I also read this during the Stay Home Reading Rush and talked about it in a vlog on my YouTube channel, you can watch the video here for more of my thoughts: https://youtu.be/JC-O73cVhfI

human
dispatcher: 911, what's your emergency?

me: hello, i'd like to report a robbery. the victim? my heart.

dispatcher: ma'am, that's not a-

me: aLSO THE REST OF THE VOLUMES AREN'T ON LIBBY AND THAT'S A GODDAMN CRIME.
emma
i hate writing graphic novel reviews, so here's a sentence:

this was cute and nice and i liked the art even if it felt like the shortest thing ever. and also kinda shallow.

(bonus half sentence so i can be a grump.)

---------------

expecting a heart-skipping-a-beat level of adorable.

update: i'd call this a success.

review to come / 3.5ish

---------------

reading all books with LGBTQ+ rep for pride this month!

book 1: the gravity of us
book 2: the great american whatever
book 3: wild beauty
book 4: the affa
s.penkevich
Apr 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, graphic_novel, love
Update 4/24/22: the miniseries is DELIGHTFUL!

Was this absolutely adorable? YES. Do I need to immediately read them all? Also yes. Heartstopper by Alice Oseman is such a sweet and lovely graphic novel of two boys on the cusp of romance that will certainly give you all the feels and feel relatable for anyone who has ever loved. Seriously, reading this I was suddenly 16 again going through the bittersweet maelstrom of emotions of a first big crush and all the swirling feelings of euphoria and anxie
ale ♡
re read: no thoughts, just tears and nick and charlie <3

5 stars.

I read volume one last night and I end up crying like a baby, you know? Someone recommended me this graphic novel and I was like "yeah, let's give it a try", and it was the best decision that I've done this year.

I actually don't know how to explain this, but I loved it. I wish I could've read this one before. I really needed something like this.

Anyways, I'm going to read the next volume because, wHAT WAS THAT ENDING??????
Whitney Atkinson
Reread Jan 2022

I have volumes 3 and 4 to catch up with from the library, and knowing this was a super simple graphic novel I thought I'd give the first two a reread. It's just as fun and wholesome as I remembered! So realistic to teenagers today, all the right moments of tension and sweetness. I really cherish this first book for giving Nick the plotline of questioning his sexuality, and I'm really eager to see how their relationship progresses. Highly recommend!

---

April 2019

I had no idea this b
Sofia
Aug 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*cackling*

I was worried I wouldn't like this because it was advertised as cute and I mostly read dark books with lots of pain. But this was so much more adorable than I thought it would be. Nick and Charlie deserve the world. I love how they helped each other be brave. Something about this story touches me in the recesses of my soul that haven't seen light since 2019.

mina reads™️
So precious!
Jessica
Mar 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
UM OKAY THIS WAS SO CUTE AND HOW COULD IT JUST END LIKE THAT. I literally put the book down as soon as I finished and reserved the second book from my library right away. Charlie and Nick are the cutest and I cannot wait to continue following their budding relationship!
Reading_ Tamishly
May 2022....maybe in May 2032 too
😵when you cannot fall asleep without watching the adaptation EVERYDAY

😵When the Netflix adaptation is so accurate that I get to see the characters in my head as real 2️⃣0️⃣2️⃣2️⃣ You are amazing!!!

*Bawling my eyes out (well who cries this hard at midnight because everything's so cute 😭🤧) because it's Nick and Charlie

*Ignore this: 1st reaction when they suddenly announced the release date 😂) ****ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!! NETFLIX ADAPTATION COMING ON 22ND APRIL!!!! 😭S
chan ☆
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHOLESOME. GAY.

this was so lovely, and it's not even over!!!!!! the story follows nick & charlie and honestly i am just so blessed by them and this comic.

it's a simple comic about friendship & discovering your sexuality.

the reading format was a little strange to get used to for me (lots of scrolling) but the art work was SO DAMN CUTE. the story was cute and the art work was just perfectly suited to it.

all in all, you gotta read this. not much else to say.
Dr. Appu Sasidharan

I picked up this series to read only because Alice Oseman wrote it. I was skeptical about her work when I picked up her book Radio Silence to read some time ago. But I loved reading it. So I had high expectations about this series and wasn't disappointed.

I appreciate the courage and effort shown by the author in writing this book. Not many authors show the courage to do what she did after publishing two successful novels. She took it as a challenge and enjoyed writing and illustrating Heart
Play Book Tag: Hearstopper(Volume 1) by Alice Oseman - 5 stars 1 9 Jun 17, 2022 02:50AM
Bookbuzzz: June/Heartstopper: Volume One 3 6 Jun 08, 2022 05:36PM
MOVIE ADAPTION!!!!!! 6 98 Jun 03, 2022 09:21AM
Book Nerds Unite: Heartstopper 5 16 May 24, 2022 03:09AM
This Definitely i...: Thoughts on Heartstopper? 1 6 May 20, 2022 01:30AM
The Realm of Books: April 2022: Heartstopper Volume One 14 29 May 07, 2022 03:43PM

• Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante, #1)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • They Both Die at the End
  • I Hear the Sunspot
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • ギヴン 2 [Given 2]
  • How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom
  • Fix Her Up (Hot & Hammered, #1)
  • Love From A to Z
  • Orange: The Complete Collection, Volume 1 (Orange: The Complete Collection, #1)
  • Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire, #1)
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • Nos âmes tourmentées
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
LGBT > Gay
See top shelves…
Alice Oseman is an award-winning author, illustrator, and screenwriter, and was born in 1994 in Kent, England. She has written four YA contemporary novels about teenage disasters: SOLITAIRE, RADIO SILENCE, I WAS BORN FOR THIS, and LOVELESS. She is the creator of LGBTQ+ YA romance webcomic HEARTSTOPPER, which is now published in physical form by Hachette Children's Books, and she is the writer, cre ...more

Heartstopper (5 books)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Four (Heartstopper, #4)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Five (Heartstopper, #5)

Articles featuring this book

Now that we’re halfway through the year, it’s time to check in on the 2022 Goodreads Reading Challenge, our rigorous annual initiative for book...
“You can't tell whether people are gay by what they look like. And gay or straight aren't the only two options.” 170 likes
“Would you kiss me?"