Start by marking “The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future” as Want to Read:
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

Bestselling Divergent and Carve the Mark author Veronica Roth delivers a stunning collection of novella-length stories set in the future, illustrated with startling black-and-white artwork.

No world is like the other. Within this masterful collection, each setting is more strange and wonderful than the last, brimming with new technologies and beings. And yet, for all the
352 pages
Published October 1st 2019 by HarperCollins

Start your review of The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future
Khurram
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult to rate and review books of short stories as there are some I like more then others, but to rate them as a whole.

I really enjoyed most of this book the first 4 stories I though were great. The dark scifi and characters looking to get through their lives was great. I would have been interested in any of these being expanded into series.

The fifth story is set in the Carve the mark universe and has the back story story and a untold tale of a couple of the main characters. This is
karen
Feb 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
i love how much this cover looks like it would be friends with one of Seanan McGuire's wayward children books...
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
I must say the illustrations in this anthology is superb! It gives the stories a little something extra.

Inertia 4stars

Inertia
I'm carried in a straight line toward you
A force I can't resist; don't want to resist
Carried straight toward you

I've forgotten how easy it is to fall into the worlds Roth creates.
This short story just again prove why I fell in love with her writing.
The concept in Inertia of being able to have a last visitation where you can share your greatest memories - is something so out of
Denisa C
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
When it comes to short stories, it's hard to like all of them equally. What I've saw in all these stories is how most of the concepts revolve around topics related to family, friendship and romantic relationships.

Inertia - 4 stars

The concept behind this story is really interesting and I think can be done in the near future. The story deals mostly with mental health issued, grief and the anger that comes from miscommunication. I really enjoyed the friendship and romantic elements of this story. I
Kat | Rustic Pages
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this collection of six short stories! Each one took place in its own universe with completely different characters and plot, but all were in the science fiction genre and had a futuristic aspect to them. My personal favorite was the first story, Inertia, which I completely fell in love with and really drew me in to the rest of the book. It is very rare I cry while reading and that first one had me tearing up in the best way. I would definitely recommend!

Find me on Booktube!
Amy (libraryofamy)
But you didnt need to stack the odds in your favor. Everything has always been carrying me toward you.

For my first ever short story collection, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this. The End and Other Beginnings is a collection of six stories, each of them containing some type of sci-fi element, while the last two stories take place in the Carve the Mark universe. Just to note, I have not yet read the Carve the Mark books but I enjoyed the last two stories just fine, so you don
bookellenic
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Accurate rating: 3.5/5
This anthology of six short stories offers a brief insight into how personal relationships could turn into in a future not as far away as one might think. It also includes a couple of stories from the Carve the Mark duology, which I read this year. In general, it's safe to say that these stories are built on two main elements: the bonds between siblings and the influence of their parents on them, as well as romantic relationships.

Inertia 3.5/5
The dynamics of her characters
Mackenzie Dering
In this novel by Veronica Roth, it consists of six riveting short stories. Each story has its own unique and interesting plotline, setting, a different planet, and different universe.

Many of the short stories contain betrayal, manipulation, vengeance, and broken aches. The characters have something very similar to all the others in the short stories. They all have difficult pasts and are desperately trying to escape from the inevitable until they realize too late, they can't outrun fate.

If
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
4.5*

I enjoyed this short story collection so much that I might be ready to forgive Veronica for Allegiant . In seriousness, it was so entertaining, and really quite thought provoking. Sure, some of the stories I liked more than others, but they were all quality, all were so well-developed that it hardly felt like I was reading short stories at all. I fell so in love with one story in
Bookphenomena (Micky)

This whole book of short stories has a futuristic feel, sometimes a little dystopian and sometimes a little Sci-fi. One story I loved, some I liked and some I didnt. What is special about this book of shorts is that it is illustrated. The illustrations are gorgeous, so much so that I bookmarked most of them so that I could go back and look at them again. They add a lot to the story and definitely help with visualisation. Here is a flavour of three of the stories.

Inertia was a story
Travis
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of stories from the future was meh. After the first story Inertia, which really resonated with me, the rest just left me feeling nothing. Some of the premises were nice but once again I just don't feel like short stories are for me. I love stories on a much grander scale. After reading some of these I wanted more. Oh well, what can you do about it.
Tilly
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

I am a bit of a Veronica Roth fangirl so when I saw this new book I got instantly excited and nervous. Would it be good as the divergent and carve the mark series? I can thankfully say that yes, it is.
This book is made up of short stories, a few based in the Carve the Mark world, which I loved as I am always happy to learn more about my favourite worlds and characters and they did not let me down. I also adored all of the other short stories, which were all completely different to the
Meredith Mara
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great collection of short stories, all with a sci-fi element. Six in total, two of which are set in the Carve the Mark universe. Since I haven't read the Carve the Mark duology, yet, I especially enjoyed the standalone short stories --gosh, there were some brilliant ones there. If you enjoy short stories and sci-fi, this collection is a must.
Lisa Jeffers
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I firstly want to say that I was a huge fan of the divergent series so I was very excited to be reading new Veronica Roth material 😁
Im not generally a fan of short stories simply because I like immersing myself into the story and you cant do that in just a few pages - series girl here! however I really enjoyed most of the stories in this collection and didnt feel cheated
Each story Has its own unique setting and storyline with my favourite being Hearken. I would love to delve more into that
♠ TABI ♠
Shhh. I'm in the middle of some art."
"Oh. Forgive me. I'm in the middle of recovering from some death."

description

If this was just the first story alone, I would have given this 5 stars without hesitation because THAT STORY TOUCHED MY HEART IN SO MANY SMALL, POWERFUL WAYS OKAY??? It was absolutely amazing.

The other stories though?? Eh. Like, some of them were halfway decent but it was like everything was focused on the first story, and then just like "oh yeah, and here's some other ideas I made into
Alyssa Marie
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.75

CW: PTSD, Child Abuse, Depression, parental death
Sandra "Jeanz"
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
As I loved reading Divergent by Veronica Roth, I was immediately interested in reading this collection of short stories/novellas. I was also interested by the fact that some of the novellas are set in the same world as some of her other series too, in particular her Carve The Mark series which I have not read any of as yet.

The cover is green and features what could be doors or frames on it. I dont like the cover but at the same time I dont hate it either. The cover would not make me pick it up
Keri
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars overall based on my ratings below per story, and I rounded up to 4 stars rather than down because I was able to get right into all but one, even if there were some things I didnt like. This is probably the best collection of short stories/novellas Ive read yet.

And on to the details...

Inertia: 5/5
(view spoiler)
Taschima
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not a fan of short stories. I don't like being teased by a little piece of text, and then not getting to know the characters further. But it is Veronica Roth, so I gave it a shot.

And I am glad I did.

"...each of these stories focuses on that pivotal moment when something ends--often painfully."

The End and Other Beginnings has a lot of stories that deal with depression, child abuse, isolation, death, and overall love too.

"But endings always create space for new beginnings. For
KayteReads
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
These stories were pretty interesting, but there were some that I wish had more to them. Some ended too abruptly.
Teresa
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book from the distributor, Epic Reads, at Yallwest 2019.

The End and Other Beginnings is a collection of six short stories by Veronica Roth, author of the Divergent trilogy and the Carve the Mark duology. The stories include "Inertia" which was previously published in a collection called Summer Days and Summer Nights, "The Spinners," "Hearken" which was previously published in the collection Shards and Ashes, "Vim and Vigor" previously published in a collection called
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
Mar 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
3/6/19:
Hm, interesting cover. Why does it look so much like the Wayward Children books? I haven't even read those yet... it was a shock to see Veronica Roth's name on this cover.

Haven't gotten to Carve the Mark yet, but hey, it's Veronica Roth. (And did literally anyone read Carve the Mark? I swear, it's like it was never written - no one talked about it at all!) I loved Divergent; I'll read this. But I should probably get to the CtM duology first...
Allie
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like how this book is a series of six different stories, all unique in their own way. I liked each topic for the stories, how they were all different and had a futuristic theme to it. They are from the future as said!
Junie Rönnqvist
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Honestly the first novella made the whole collection worth reading
Claudia
0,5 stars. Not for me.
Cas
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Altogether a quality collection of "out of this world" stories. I had a few issues with what I felt was an overuse of romance but other than that the stories were well written and I enjoyed them!

Inertia 4 stars
I really liked this short story, but the ending ruined it a little for me (as well as a few details throughout (view spoiler)). Nonetheless a really good
Samthefangirl
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really loved Veronica Roths Divergent and Carve The Mark series so I was incredibly excited to see she had some new material being released in the form of an anthology. The End and Other Beginnings: Stories From The Future is a collection of six standalone novellas (with two stories from the Carve The Mark universe too) centring around themes of friendship, hope and revenge.

I dont usually read standalone novellas because I prefer a full story/novel but I did love the brief glimpses of the
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Mandy C.
Cover Story: Scifi
The Most Interesting: Hearken
The Most Mashup: The Spinners
The Least Satisfying: Armored Ones
Bonus Factors: The Future, Illustrations?
Break Glass In Case Of: Rothdom

Read the full book report here.
Ann
I found something to like in each story of this otherworld collection and several were outstanding.
Jessica White
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I heard Veronica Roth was writing a book of short stories based in the future, I knew I had to have it. But I didn't realize how much I was going to love it.

Each story was so well written! I was enthralled by the first four stories and then felt kind of indifferent about the last two, which take place in Shotet territory (aka the same universe as Carve the Mark). Each story had darker undertones than I was expecting but they were fantastic nonetheless. The very first story in the book

• Rebel (Legend, #4)
  • Verify (Verify #1)
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • Find Me (Shatter Me, #4.5, #5.5)
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)
  • The Grace Year
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)
  • Shatter City (Impostors #2)
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Year We Fell From Space
  • Cliffhanger (Adventure, #1)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • No Ivy League
Veronica Roth is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Carve the Mark and the Divergent Series (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four: A Divergent Collection). Her short stories and essays have appeared in Summer Days and Summer Nights, Shards and Ashes, and the upcoming Three Sides of a Heart. The Divergent Series was developed into three major motion pictures.

Veronica grew up outside