Start by marking “Hohenstaufen: Mark of the Beast” as Want to Read:
Hohenstaufen: Mark of the Beast

Hohenstaufen: Mark of the Beast

Arjen Staufen is sixteen when he drowns on a crabber boat in the Bering Sea. Instead of going to heaven or hell, he wakes up on the other side of the world — almost eight hundred years back in time.

It’s the Holy Land, AD 1277. The Crusader knights are making their last stand. The unclaimed throne of Jerusalem is their only hope. But things get complicated when a dangerous
Published October 1st 2018 by Daniel R. Hopkins

To ask other readers questions about Hohenstaufen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hohenstaufen

Toya
Apr 03, 2019 added it
Shelves: goodreads-wins
This was a Goodreads giveaway win.

I was originally drawn to this book because the cover was gorgeous and the blurb reminded me of The Sword and the Dagger, which I recently read and really enjoyed. I thought this story was well done. From start to finish, the book is full of action and adventure. I also really enjoyed the nod to history along the way. I definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading about supernatural beings, time travel, and historical fiction.
Susan Hopkins
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling, exciting with great, accurate historical facts. Just the right touch of romance and surreal. Every chapter ends with a cliff-hanger. Excellent grammar as a plus. Great for young adults and adults. I am over 60, and I loved it.
Dawn Podojil
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I originally wanted to read this book since the description reminded me of "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" which I enjoyed. While this book is not as humorous, it is filled with historical events and well paced action scenes.
Jessica
May 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is written so poorly, I almost didn't finish it which is saying something for me. I hate not finishing a book so I powered through, hoping that it would get better. It never did.

Daniel R. Hopkins seemed obsessed with ending each chapter with a cliff hanger. It was frustrating to see the plot bent to suit this story telling technique. The main character seemed downright stupid because he couldn't put obvious clues together because he needed to have a dramatic realization at the end of the c
Lindsay Stroven
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book....

I would like to start by saying that I knew next to nothing of the history of the 13th century so this book had me quite confused. I found it so much more readable after I spent about an hour researching the places around Jerusalem and names of the real historic people. Also read up on the time period between the 8th and 9th Crusade. It helped immensely in getting the most enjoyment out of this book.
Overall, I gave this book 4stars. At times I felt I couldn’t follow some of the tho
Alison Chapman
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I won this book as a giveaway on GR. I was thrilled to get into this book after reading the summary. I’m somebody who will give a book a fair shake but I also believe life is too short to feel like getting through a book is a chore. I spend too much time in my professional life reading literature that can be tedious. Anyway, when I read for fun I want to escape and get swept away in a good story. I got about 31% through, picked up another story I read in two days, and tried to revisit this after ...more
Elise Wright
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this from a Goodreads giveaway and I thank you for that!

The title and cover first drew me in enough to want to read it even though I'm not partial to ebooks, I was excited for this one. It's definitely for those who appreciate history as there was a lot of it and I absolutely enjoyed all of it. This book had cliffhangers at the end of every chapter and that kept me wanting more and on top of that it continually left you in the dark, only to build up more and more questions. There is s
Tobyann Aparisi
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this book on Goodreads (Kindle version) for an honest review.

A well written book with compelling characters and realistic scenery, this author takes you on an unexpected journey. A fast paced read with plenty of action and intense situations this story will keep you engaged until the very last page.
Mike Clarkson
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

A fantastic story from beginning to end. The book flows seamlessly from one chapter to the next. I found myself rooting for Arjen throughout. Excited to read the next book in the series!
Michaela
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jordan Olson
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book from the author in a Goodread's Giveaway, here follows my honest review of the book:

I really loved the premise of this book and the storyline. A time travel story with plot and intrigue. However, the poorly written love triangle makes this hard to rate this book better than good/average. How is Arjen in love with Ana right away? No relationship development; nor is there any for Joan. Throughout the book this relationship is just "there" taking away from the best parts of the
Bree D.
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
It was pretty good

I gave a rating of 3 stars because I thought the book was pretty good. It kept my interest and didn't really bore me at any particular point. However, I continued many times to become confused at points in time. Such as who was really the one talking or who was suddenly standing in the room? Sometimes I had to re-read a section to clearly figure out what was going on, but I eventually figured it out. The ending I would have liked more detail as to what was really happening (lik
Cate
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and I really wanted to give it a good chance so I tried reading it a couple of different times but I could just not get into it. I am a fan of fantasy books but the writing style on this one and also the story was just not drawing me in and I couldn't get past a few chapters. It might just be me though, so I hope someone else will give it a chance and love it!
Rachel Robins
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did receive a free copy on Kindle in exchange for an honest review. I wanted to love this, but the premise was confusing, plot was hard to follow, I had no connection with the characters, and I didn't get a lot of the historical references (that one is on me). I think this book would appeal to a very specific audience. It is well-written, good word choices and vocab...just not for me.
Lisa
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mark of the Beast

I had a hard time following this story. At the end i'm still not sure who was who. There was a story line but it bounced to much for me. Basically good versus evil. This was a free book.
Chokokitty
May 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Couldn't really get past the first 12%, it was so confusing and also boring
Bob Marly
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh

Wasn’t bad but wasn’t good either, I thought the characters weren’t realistic but the plot line was very interesting. A little more work on CD and we have a great novel.
Mary Migone
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like it-

Liked the idea of the story but had a hard time getting into it and kept waiting for it to wrap up.
Jon Mills
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hohenstaufen is the incredible journey of a boy named Arjen, who finds himself in the most unusual situation. The story begins with Arjen working a crab ship with his uncle, and a few fellow workers who tease him a bit. Arjen is an orphan, a loner and for the most part someone that you probably wouldn't cast a second glance at.

This all changes one fateful night as Arjen's ship is suddenly in an accident in the middle of the freezing Bering Sea. Arjen finds himself fighting for his very survival
Joan Mitchell
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can the devil win

A young boy dies and inherits a kingdom in the year 1277. But does he? I received this book from Goodreads for free.
Celtic's
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book yesterday (awesome Valentines Day gift!) in a giveaway on here. After reading previous reviews, I decided to enter the giveaway and give it a chance. A full review will be posted in approximately a week. I can't wait to start it!

2/21/19
I want to start off by saying that this book was well written, had great potential, a good story line/plot, but the main character just felt a little... flat to me. I wanted to love this book as much as everybody else seemed to. However, I fou
Amanda Hagerty
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways, kindle
I want to start off by saying that I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. Before I go into my review. I wanted to say that I was unsure about this book. Now I know this book as many good reviews. So I put the book down I don’t want to dnf without even trying. I ended up picking up this book and I am so glad that I gave this book a second chance. Nothing like I was expecting.
About book:
This book is set in present time and AD times Arjen is a young boy on a fishing boat with his uncle and his
Eugenie
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adventure, time travel, devils, angels ,crusaders

I won a copy of this book from goodness.
This book starts off in the present day following the life of an orphaned young man on a crabbing boat in Alaska that goes down in a storm. He wakes up to find himself in the middle ages in the Holy Land during Crusader times. There is a lot of fighting and political intrigue over control of different lands. The young man, Arjen, comes to realize that he is the centerpiece in a struggle between good and evil
Cynthia
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice surprise

I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway and wasn't sure what I was getting into when I was able to read a more informative description. I'm glad I read it. What an original, inventive storyline. I don't want to give too much away. I like books with a historical bent to them and if you are like me, I don't think you will be disappointed. It's a fun and quick read - it has great visuals and would (does) translate easily to screen. Very easy to picture in the mind while reading. S
Joy
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-books
This was a Goodreads Giveaway book.
An interesting story of a time traveling protagonist, dropped into the middle of crusade politics, while battling his own demons. I don't want to write any spoilers so: with humorous bits here and there to lighten the mood, this is a good story, with some tense moments, to the point that I didn't want to put the book down. A good page turner that stands on its own.
Kayla Tornello
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Arjen, an unimportant teenager who finds himself back in time and facing some very important decisions that could affect a lot of people. I liked all the historical detail about what life was like fighting over control of Jerusalem back in the 13th century. There is plenty of intrigue and action in this story to keep you on your toes!

I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. Yay!
Sabina VanOrman
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Goodreads giveaway

I won this book on Goodreads. It was hard to follow at first; however, as I kept reading I couldn’t put it down. There are a lot of plot twists and unexpected turn of events. Worth a read.. even if it isn’t my typical style of book preference I still recommend this book!
Kelly Knapp
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young adults and adults
Recommended to Kelly by: Won as part of the Goodreads Firstreads giveaways
A Connecticut Kid in King Arthur's Court meets the Crusades.

This richly detailed story follows Arjen, a young man, who drowns only to wake in the middle ages. Arjen meets many people but it is a mysterious girl (whom no one else can see) that guides him along this path. But can a boy, who thinks he's useless, really fulfill his destiny?
Daniel Hopkins
Oct 16, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
A debut "Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" novel with our young hero bewitched by a lovely fallen angel seizing his birthright to rule the Holy Land. Packed with overwhelming action, mystery, and suspense, this dark time-twisting journey will possess readers of all ages!
Carrie-Anne O'Driscoll
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is very well researched in both historical and biblical aspects. As a history buff and devout Christian I loved this. The time travel element was well executed and a welcome change from most novels of this genre.

I highly recommend this book.

• Body Mortgage
  • How Did I Get Here?
  • Restoration
  • After Terra: Year 200
  • Liaisons at Dusk (Bloodseeker Chronicles #1)
  • Everyone Is a Moon: Strange Stories
  • Ancestral (The Many #2)
  • Road to Antietam (Galloway Series Book 1)
  • Black Cat White Paws: A Maggie Dahl Mystery
  • Craving
  • Timber is Missing
  • Born of a Star
  • Angels in the Mist (Z-Tech Chronicles #1)
  • Reap (Jack Forester #2)
  • Ripped from Obscurity
  • St. Catherine's Crown
  • A Cursed Love
  • A Laughing Matter of Pain
Daniel R. Hopkins is the author of Hohenstaufen: Mark of the Beast, his debut novel and the first of an anticipated series self-published in October 2018. Growing up in the Chicago suburbs, Daniel was sent to the sweatshops at an early age and quickly desired to escape the rat race. He had a natural talent for writing stories, and with an imagination fueled by The Lord of the Rings, began dreaming ...more