Start by marking “3 Feet to the Left: A New Captain's Journey from Pursuit to Perspective” as Want to Read:
3 Feet to the Left: A New Captain's Journey from Pursuit to Perspective

3 Feet to the Left: A New Captain's Journey from Pursuit to Perspective

It's August of 2013 at Chicago's O'Hare Airport. For the first time in his career, 31-year-old Korry Franke sits in the left pilot seat--the captain's chair--of a United Airlines Boeing 737. In many ways, the moment feels like the realization of success Korry has chased for years. But over the next whirlwind year, as he is pushed as a leader and shaped as a man by experien ...more
Published October 5th 2018 by Korry Franke

To ask other readers questions about 3 Feet to the Left, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 3 Feet to the Left

Start your review of 3 Feet to the Left: A New Captain's Journey from Pursuit to Perspective
Andrew Cox
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m a bit of a plane nerd and I found this book mostly enjoyable, if sometimes a bit too saccharine. Korry seems an earnest fellow, and I liked following him on his journey through his first year as an airline captain.

This book is a memoir that almost wants to be a work of fiction. I found the intricate retelling of long verbal exchanges with his friends and family a bit off putting. It felt like dialog in an Alafair Burke (whose work I like) novel a lot of the time. Korry could have written a h
Edward B
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An Exceptional Story

Kory tells us in detail with exceptional insight how he achieved his high school dream of becoming a captain for a major airline. His sensitivity for others who have not yet achieved their dream is remarkable .
Chrissy
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining and informative

Five stars! Though I have a military aviation background, this book provided wonderful insights into the challenges and rewards of airline professionals and what it takes to be a skilled manager. Family experiences added a great personal touch.
Sebastian Henao
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
-Excellent insight about an airline pilot life, as it describes the routines, procedures and process involved on the operation of air transport company
-Great conclusions about leadership and people management in the role of capitan
Jeff Jett
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great aviation story

I really enjoyed eating Captain Frankie’s journey. It was inspiring and gave me a glimpse of what I have to look forward in my aspiring aviation career. It was also good to read that you don’t have to be perfect, but remember to learn from your mistakes
Larry D'Oench
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I suspect the prime readership will be retired airline pilots who enjoy the nostalgia, as I did. Flying stories, personalities, time shift, personal life, and philosophy all intertwined for a very readable mosaic.
Capt. Larry D, AA ret.
William Alexander Cleaver
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great stories

Very fascinating stories. I felt the passion in the writer's words. It was hard to put the book down. I'm H hoping for a sequel?
Regina Stone
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Always wondered what the captain did

Among some of the best books I've read! I was spellbound throughout the entire book. I can relate to being a first.
Cindy Mitchell
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Read!!

Wonderful book! Couldn't put it down! He was so young but Knew his career path. He knew what he wanted and went after it.
Robert Aspinwall
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read

Fascinating and we'll written. Enjoyed learning about all that goes into flight and training pilots how to do their job
Robert Sory
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having been a pilot I could relate to his story. It was well written and held my interest.
Brett
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story of a pilots perspective. Helps if you have any experience in Airline industry as you will be able to visualize the situations better. A little to much of his personal thoughts and nicknames on a lot of things but helps fill the voids in the story. Definitely recommend the read.
Jessica Crews
Dec 23, 2018
Aclight
Oct 23, 2018
Jerry A Denges
rated it did not like it
Oct 22, 2019

• A Cargo Pilot's Life- Tails from Corrosion Corner
  • CFI! The Book: A Satirical Aviation Comedy
  • Hauling Checks: A Satirical Aviation Comedy
  • I Need My Yacht by Friday: True Tales from the Boat Repair Yard
  • Fatal Go Around at Tatarstan: The B737 Captain Who Couldn't Fly (Quick Aviation Reads Book 4)
  • I'll Take the 18: The Story of Beech 18 Freight Flying
  • B-29 Superfortress (Annotated): The Plane that Won the War
  • Maritime Academy Graduate: Memoir Of A Third Mate
  • Truckin' The Skies: Alaska Aviation Stories
  • Flying Into the Sun
  • Growing Up Boeing: The Early Jet Age Through the Eyes of a Test Pilot's Daughter
  • Upstart
  • Final Authority
  • Boeing 747. Queen of the Skies.: Reflections from the Flight Deck.
I'm a husband, a father, and a major airline captain. I'm a writer and a storyteller. I'm an optimist and a dreamer. And more than anything, I'm a journeyer. I'm a seeker of side roads and scenic routes. And I'm building a community of journeyers who believe as I do that we achieve success not in spite of our circuitous life journeys but because of them.

COME WITH US!