Start by marking “The Drum That Beats Within Us” as Want to Read:
The Drum That Beats Within Us

The Drum That Beats Within Us

First published by Lawrence Ferlinghetti in City Lights Books, Mike Bond is an award-winning poet, critically acclaimed novelist, ecologist, and war and human rights journalist. Based on his own experiences in many dangerous and war-torn regions of the world and in its last wild places, his poems and novels portray the innate hunger of the human heart for good, the intense ...more
Published November 20th 2018 by Big City Press

To ask other readers questions about The Drum That Beats Within Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Drum That Beats Within Us

Meike
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: usa, 2018-read
I was drawn to this poetry collection because the blurb points out that Mike Bond was first published by Lawrence Ferlinghetti, for whom I have tremendous admiration. As the beautiful cover already suggests, many of the poems deal with mankind's connection to the natural world, but also with the connection to their own inner worlds. I found many poems so-so, but two things really confused me:

- Bond draws heavily on Native American themes and imagery: The "Great Spirit" is mentioned four times, t
Quirkybookworm
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
I was surprised to see a book of published poems by Mike Bond. I'm more familiar with his action-packed mystery novels. I've read and reread his poems. You can tell his passion is strong with the nature and animals.

I thoroughly enjoyed most of his poems and it was refreshing to see Mike write outside of his genre. I look forward to more of his works.

4 stars from me.

I received this ARC from Big City Press through Net Galley in exchange for my honest and unbiased review . Thank you!
Jypsy
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
"We're all sentenced to death." Very true words. Every person is dying every minute of every day. It's difficult to acknowledge this. I felt these words throughout the entire collection. It's the urgency to live and to live in harmony with, rather than exploit, the natural world. The Drum That Beats Within Us is beautiful and damning and uplifting all at once. I greatly enjoyed this collection from Mike Bond.
Arybo ✨
How we find meaning in the incomprehensible, beautiful, tragic and sacred mystery of life.

I don’t know how to feel about that. I don’t know how to write this review.
This is my impression: I managed to take all the emotions with my heart, without my intellect fully understanding them. Maybe it's better if I explain myself. I loved the images that the poems put in my mind, I liked the sound of phrases and words, rhymes and musicality, but I found myself often not understand how a certain poem
Mohini Jugran
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We are still Adam
in his velvet cage,
Eve still hungry for an answer.
To understand the atom
you must build a bomb;
to understand life
you must destroy it."

Title: The Drum That Beats Within Us
Original Rating: Four Stars
Genre: Poetry
Author: Mike Bond

I received a free copy in exchange of an honest review. This review is in no way influenced by the ARC.

A fabulous read by Mike Bond which was a poetic roller coaster ride in itself. The poet is effective in making us see things from his perspective
C. Chambers
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for a honest review.

The most tragic thing
creation.
The most evil
is to call one
the other

Badass bison cover? Check.
Earthy poetry context? Check.
Beautifully written prose? mostly...
A unified and wholesome experience? No.

With the popularity of poetry coming to the forefront of the secular reading world, there is a necessity to filter the good from the mediocre. I found this to be the latter.
John Muriango
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good reads. This is an anthology of poetry covering different topics. Highly recommend it.
Elizabeth
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this in exchange for my honest review.

This poetry book reads like a love letter to the wild and scary parts of humans that are still connected with the land. The beating, thumping, heart pounding part of us that wants to scurry through the underbrush or fly through the trees. Human beings have become disconnected from that animal parts of ourselves. Mike Bond, among many things, is a tireless environmentalist and for one b
Rogene Carter
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
Wonderfully concise and full of wisdom- this collection is a real winner.
Kim
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As long as I can remember I’ve loved poetry. I grew up devouring Rod McKuen, Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, and in more recent years Mary Oliver and Billy Collins. When I saw The Drum That Beats Within Us and read about the poet, I was intrigued and was fortunate to receive an advance copy to read.

This is such a beautiful book of poetry. I started reading it slow to savor just a few poems a day until I felt the need to read more and more and finish, unwillingly. I’m looking forward to purchasin
Brittany (brittreads)
Thank you so much to Netgalley for this copy in exchange for an honest review!

This collection of poetry was beautiful. It had wonderful imagery, a lot of the poems really spoke to me, which is what I love so much about poetry.

It had a lot of beautiful descriptions of love, nature, and relationships. Poetry is very hit or miss for me, if it doesn’t resonate with me somehow, it’s not for me. This collection, resonated with me.

There were a few poems where I wasn’t sure what the message was or what
Kirsten Tattersall
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

My first word of advice when picking up this book? Do not skip the Preface. The author has absolutely delightful insight into the nature of poetry and I honestly laughed when I read the word literati (side note: I know it’s a real word but I cannot help but associate it with illuminati).

The poetry itself instilled a soft delight in me as I read. It is filled with rich imagery and longing. I was actually surprised by h
Donald Armfield
I may have had high expectations from this collection, but it was a little lost in the quiet wild.
Seeing City Light Books opened my eyes and I quickly jumped in, the cover shows the grazing buffalo and I thought somewhere in this collection I’d hear the drum beat. A few poems listed I enjoyed
-Hungry Magpie
-Evening March
-The Mind Sees Itself
-Jicarilla
James
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, poetry
A book of poetry, some free verse, some formal, that evokes the American West, its openness, wildness, and its sense of desolation. Contemplating the universe and man's place in it, along with the continuing destruction of the natural world, I found this an enormously satisfying experience. Recommended.

[I received an advanced e-galley of this book through Netgalley.]
Karen
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book of poetry. I especially liked the preface about what poetry is and can mean. I liked best the poems about love and death and the meaning of life. I will be going back to reread the lines that struck me.
Veronica
It stands alone,
discreet within us,
no longer true".

-Homecoming by Mike Bond

I usually read classic poetry but do like to delve into modern poetry as well. I was drawn to this collection by the cover and the beautiful title and as such it does not disappoint. Nature, and our role in it and with each other seems to be the central thread that connects the poems collected here. There are poems of love, death, nature's destruction, and life, as seen thro
Littlebookterror
This poetry collection is just as the title and cover suggest very focused on nature, death and life alike.

And I had my fun with it. While I cannot say I connected with any poems (except for Hungry Magpie and Paradise Ducks), they were still well-written and thought out. There are thought-provoking statements and opinions; it talks about environmental change, Native Americans and our impact on wildlife.
I also truly enjoyed the writing. Some poems actually rhyme which is, first of all, very nice
Kevin Hogan
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book in as an advance readers copy via NetGalley.

I found the introduction insulting, and the poems ranged from 2-star to 4-star. Sometimes the imagery ran to fantastic places, and I paused and thought about what I'd read (e.g. "colors wait like lizards to pounce upon the air."). At other times, the rhythm and rhyme ran a little too close to greeting card chic for my taste.

Renee (The B-Roll)
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and Big City Press for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.  When I read books for review I try to mix in poetry collections with everything else because it feels refreshing to me, especially after reading heavier things.  Every once in a while you get a collection that, at first doesn't look like it will be something that interests you from the cover, but turns out to be an incredible collection of work.  I wasn't too thrilled about the bison on th ...more
Tom Walsh
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tying it all together.

From the flitting of the butterfly’s wing to the infinities of a starlit night. From the depths of the human heart’s yearning to the spiraling thoughts of the mind driven to understand the why. These reflections on the circle of Life and Death in Nature and the Human Heart bring you up short in the passage of your daily life. Worth reading and rereading.
Hope
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mike Bond’s eco-critical poetry collection The Drum that Beats Within Us is a collection of poetry that asks us to look at our environment through the eyes of animals and also asks us to take a close look at our relationship with nature and the city. Furthermore, Bond critiques the state of poetic production and study by challenging the academic ivory tower that complicates and miscommunicates the poetry today.

In the opening of his collection, Bond challenges that poetry is no longer read by the
Missie
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“It takes pain to know it: the thin man’s grimace of sorrow, the fat woman yelling at her daughter, the dog with a broken leg on the roadside, the trapped mouse and poisoned rat, the sparrow in a cat’s claws, the climber in the instant of his fall, the hungry child with no mother or father, the girl kneeling, a soldier’s pistol at her head.“

Thought provoking! Beautifully written.

Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read and enjoy fora fairview.
Missie
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it

Thought provoking! Beautifully written.

Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read and enjoy fora fairview.
Anne
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Poetry is difficult to review as it is such a subjective art. I pick up a poetry book hoping to find a few poems which 'talk to me'. I’m happy if a book has one or two like that. This book by Mike Bond has several and I rate it a success for me on that basis. Some of the language is beautiful, some is profound, and some I don’t get. But that’s just fine. Here are some examples -

"These words are nothing against a sky so vast no thought can harm it."
"The mind grows wise watching itself."
"It’s alw
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley and Big City Press for sending me the anthology for review.
As a literature teacher, I am always looking for new pieces to use within the classroom. Too show diversity and comparison, especially when the content deals with every day issues such as race, environmental issues and other social issues.
This anthology has a little bit of everything, some pieces I could definitely relate to as a human being and others I could see as valuable teaching tools. When I say a teaching tool
Trisha
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book of poetry and the writer’s perspective on nature, life, death, and love. The prose is simple but evocative. I found the nature imagery particularly beautiful and enjoyed how the wild, natural world was used to reflect broader life. The overwhelming feeling I got from this collection was a yearning for a quieter, simpler time, being one with nature. Aside from the poems, I was very drawn in by the introduction to this collection and the author’s discussion of poetry. I’m not s ...more
Laura Prime
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bravo Mike Bond!
I really enjoyed sitting one afternoon and reading this twice.
Two of my favourites were “What better Way” and “ Paradise ducks “
I loved the beginning of the book, this gave me an insight of what kind of poetry I may have been about to read, though it wasn’t “about” the author which was nice. It was really nice however to hear a little about Mike Bond at the end and put the whole book together 5 star for that alone!
The depth of some of his poetry was fantastically dictionary sear
Katrina
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book, poetry, netgalley
This was an ARC in exchange for an honest review with thanks to Netgalley and Big City Press. After finishing this book, I actually put in a preorder for a physical copy as I downright adored it.

The Drum Beats Within Us like most poetry collections has a few themes and layers running throughout, However, none are so impressive when Bond turns his attention to nature and the results are hard-hitting to say the least; the imagery is vibrant, devastating, and haunting.

A thoroughly modern 21 centur
Anisa
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Book obtained from NetGalley.
Main topics: nature, spirits, life, death, love, American West.

This book is amazing. The descriptions of nature are breathtaking.
It felt like being in the locations, and seeing the trees, the rivers.
The thoughts about life, death (and what lies between them) are so well constructed.
The poems about the tribes, their death and their suffering were very real.

Definitely rereading this book again soon.
Reneesarah
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
My unhappiness with this book began with the introduction. In the introduction Mr. Bond states “Nothing important in life is learned rationally. What counts is what we learn emotionally.” That statement is so unbalanced and untrue as to bring the reader to a complete stop. What we learn emotionally is certainly of great value, but so is what we learn rationally. I would assume that Mr. Bond learned the the structure of the English language that he used to write that unfortunate sentence…rational ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
MIKE BOND has been called the “master of the existential thriller” by the BBC and “one of the 21st century’s most exciting authors” by the Washington Times. He is a bestselling novelist, environmental activist, international energy expert, war and human rights correspondent and award-winning poet who has lived and worked in many remote and dangerous parts of the world. His critically acclaimed nov ...more
“In all our searching, the only thing we’ve found that makes the emptiness bearable is each other.” − Carl Sagan” 4 likes
“anyone who can look up at the stars and not feel the power of God probably cannot feel much at all.” 2 likes