Start by marking “Too Hot!” as Want to Read:
Too Hot!

Too Hot!

Sparks arent just flying . . . theyre catching.

Eli Johnson is not a hero. Hes just a guy whos doing his best. His mother was a hero, though, and when she died, he dropped out of college to become a firefightera vocation she would have been proud of. He might not be able to save everyone, but he can do what she taught him: put more good out than bad.

Charlie Kinnear is
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 190 pages
Published October 8th 2018 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Too Hot!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Hot!

Start your review of Too Hot!
Fabi
I really REALLY liked this! I can't decide between 4 and 5 stars, so I'm going to have to go with 4.5.

Individually, Charlie and Eli are hot, sexy men. Together they're cute and sweet and steamy. I just loved them, BOTH of them.

Sparks were flying at the meet cute. I swear they were coming off the page. These guys had so much chemistry. Their connection was unstoppable. When doubts and fears threaten to tear them apart my heart was crying for them.

Yeah, you ought to read this one. Great M/M
Joyfully Jay
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kenna
A Joyfully Jay review.

I love books about firefighters. Theres something about heroic men with strength and a passion to help people. This is why I jumped on Too Hot! Unfortunately, I have to say I was very disappointed in the book from the beginning. At first, it seems like chapter one will be the establishment of Eli as a character, and it does that for sure, but it goes all the way through the first fire and meeting with Charlie. A lot of stuff goes on after that. In my personal
Santy
This was my first book by Avery Giles and I think this is her first book overall (at least from what I can infer from her GR profile).

I enjoyed this book and thought the writing was good(though the pacing lagged at times). The highlight for me was how the author wrote a POC MC(Eli) without the usual stereotypical attributes while maintaining his "blackness". That is, she didn't try to erase it by glossing over attributes, mannerisms, etc. and a fellow POC, I thought she did a pretty decent job
Meep
Feb 07, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: promo-deals
FINISHED Finished finished, I didn't quit though I admit I skimmed; mostly the sex scenes.

It started likeable enough. Writing is smooth. Eli is a sweet, cat owning, puppy-dog of a man, as well as a super-hot fireman and poc.
My impression of Charlie however is of a teenager; young. Nothing changed that.

They meet in a way that I thought slightly unprofessional, but could be excused as adrenaline. Next they meet for a date but are interrupted. Then they meet for a third time but are now in a
Roberta Blablanski
I love that the MC is a person of color and that it's reflected on the cover. I enjoy reading books featuring unconventional characters and characters different from me. One of the great things about Too Hot! is that a majority of the characters are persons of color.

Eli is a hot (pun intended) firefighter, and Charlie is his equally hot love interest. From their initial meeting and on, these two are sizzling with the chemistry. I may have had to fan myself while reading the sexy firehouse
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is a gentle romance with some firefighting action. Firefighter Eli has a checklist for a prospective life partner and Charlie ticks most of his boxes - except for Elis slightly alarming suspicion that he might be a serial arsonist.

I didnt get on terribly well with this story. I found the writing quite choppy and there werent enough clues to the arson investigation for me to attempt to solve it. Elis dating checklist made
Ami
2.75 stars rounded up

Just an okay read -- I wasn't too engaged with both characters. It was also a bit weird to have so many pages from Eli's perspective, then suddenly Charlie's was written too -- though probably it was a way to keep his "identity" intact, but still it was a bit jarring.

And their blow out near the end, when they both found out what "secrets" they kept from each other... well, I thought it was a bit out of proportion...
Veronica
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Eli and Charlies relationship takes place during the chase for the arsonist and I liked this aspect of the story. But I felt like we never really got to the know the men very well. There was too much tell and not enough show especially when they were getting to know each other. More time could have been spent getting to know the men and less time on inconsequential description of stuff.

I struggled with Too Hot. I liked Eli
Claudia
This could have been so much better
.. but somehow I did not really connect with both characters and the back-and-forth was annoying.

Maybe it was just not the right time for me ...
Riina Y.T.
If you like your romances sweet but with a bit of angst and a dash of action and secrets, this might be for you!

Eli and Charlie are both very likable, as is the rest of the cast. Their romance began with a house fire which I found very appealing. I don't have a firefighter kink, heh, but who can resist a charming guy helping people in need?

I found the overall pace quite fast which made it seem like a quick read, which I enjoy.

Also, I'm one who enjoys a good secret, even if it makes one of the
Shirley
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too Hot! is Avery Giles' debut novel and it's not a bad start at all.

I loved both Charlie and Eli, even though Charlie was a mystery throughout most of the story. I had a hard time buying that he was a "bad" guy though, even when Eli wasn't so sure. I never doubted him though and I have to admit that I got kind of aggravated with Eli when he did. I just knew that there was a logical explanation.

The author did a great job of keeping readers in the dark... even though they got Charlie's POV. I
Jess Gabriel
This was just okay for me. I feel like the story had a lot of potential, but I don't think the execution did it justice.

What I liked:
- I genuinely liked both Eli and Charlie and found their relationship believable
- The cats, Moxie, Chutzpah, and Pistol were awesome
- Hello, sexy firefighter!
- What I thought required my reality suspension goggles actually ended up making sense

What I felt was lacking:
- I didn't really feel the chemistry between the guys unless they were engaged in sexy times
- Not
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews
Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy of NetGalley

2.5 Stars

This was a quick sweet read but also very predictable and a bit forgettable. Eli's a local fireman and he meets a mystery hero who happens to be at every fire lately, which causes Eli to speculate when they realize the fires are from a serial arsonist.

Charlie is intrigued by Eli right away but he can't tell Eli the truth even though it could ruin his chances with him. And the longer he doesn't tell him the worse it is for him.

And you
Sophia
A serial arsonist brings two men together. One's a firefighter with hero issues and the other a man with laughing eyes and secrets. I couldn't resist a firefighter romantic suspense and it was a good call.

Too Hot! is a light romantic suspense where firefighter, Eli Johnson, meets an attractive man at his latest fire call. Charlie rescued a small child, but oddly, wants no recognition for it, but he does want Eli's phone number. Eli hesitates because he isn't sure if Charlie's interested because
R
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, reviewed
Eli talks to his cats, just thankful they dont talk back. A firefighter, his days swing between boredom and heart pounding intensity. When he meets a man at a fire, the inappropriate interest he feels is overwhelming. He there to save lives not flirt with a bystander.

Charlie rushes into a burning building without a second thought. While rescuing a child he meets Eli. He feels the same attraction as the other man. Again totally inappropriate in the circumstances.

They meet again and there is
Christi Snow
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Review:
This was my first time reading this author. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. The book was easy to read and flowed really quickly and naturally. I liked both characters, although I definitely kept guessing about what was really going on with Charlie...so many suspicious actions. I loved that the author kept me guessing.

The characters were likable and I could see both sides to their conflict. I also enjoyed their friendships and the dynamics that were added to the story through
Dana
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eli Johnson is not a hero. Hes just a guy whos doing his best. Charlie Kinnear is definitely not a hero. When he ran into a burning building to save a trapped child, he was acting on instinct. Hes not expecting a medal, or for a handsome firefighter with a stunning smile to give him his oxygen mask.
Right as their romance begins, a serial arsonist terrorizes the city. Sparks are flying all right, and things may get too hot for Eli and Charlie to handle.

Nice book with a sweet romance. There is
Ashley
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eli doesn't believe he is a hero, he just thinks of himself of a normal guy doing his best as a firefighter, trying to make his mother proud. Charlie is most definitely not a hero, even though he has gone into a couple of different fires to help people. When Eli keeps seeing Charlie at the fire scenes he starts to get suspicious about Charlie.

The secrets that both Eli and Charlie are harboring almost destroy their relationship and each of these men are so stubborn and don't want to be the one
Wendell Hennan
Eli Johnson is a fireman, left college after his Mom died, without graduating, wanting to do something with his life that would make her proud. He meets Charlie Kinnear at a fire and the sparks fly, Charlie hitting on him shamelessly. The City is dealing with an arsonist, and Charlie mysteriously appears at the next several fires, all started by arson. Their relationship roars ahead but Charlie never is willing to share with Eli, what he does for a living and finally this leads to the demise of ...more
Coltostallion
While the writing was fairly good I had some issues with this book. It felt like a lot was glossed over with just a quick side note from a character. The fight portion especially seemed strange to me, though. Only a month of dating and you expect unconditional trust? Charlie especially should have expected things to go the way they did and his reaction to the fight made him hard to like. After that it got hard to really follow the rest of the relationship and the reasoning since it just didn't ...more
Shannon
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Entertaining

Charlie and Eli have an instant connection, they compliment each other nicely, have great chemistry, heartfelt moments, and steamy sexy times, but secrets eventually become a serious issue that needs to be dealt with before they get their well deserved, satisfyingly sweet HEA.
Great characters and a storyline that is well written and full of high intensity situations, intrigue, laughs, doubts, drama, and a whole lot of love.
David Williamson
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Don't keep yourself hidden

This book didn't get under my skin enough so that I was just rushing to get back into it. The reality though is that there were parts of each of them that they left out from telling each other. All of us do that in some way with our friends. I'm glad they were able to work through those emissions and get back together because I love Happy ever after endings.
Michael
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Intelligent Gay Romance

Gay romances follow a given plot line: two handsome guys (one of them at least a hunk) fall for each other, but about halfway through - or a bit more - something hard comes between them and nearly causes a breakup. This novel is no different, although the plot line is quite good as is the writing other than relying much too much on gut feelings and a tendency to overwrite.
Jasmyne Channel
Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Can too much detail be bad thing?

It was a solid all right book. Author felt like she was trying to prove how much she knew about fire fighting and in that was over detailed about all the fire fighting stuff to the point it was annoying. It took away from the story.
Otherwise it was a good story she did a good job with the twist.
Tracie R
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgally
Suspense, drama and sexy firefighters. I liked Too Hot, I found Eli so loveable and Charlie is awesome. Great character, a good story, this made for a fabulous afternoon read. I look forward to exploring more by this author
GlamLawyer
Sadly this was a miss for me. The MCs annoyed me, especially Charlie. The story didn't touch me. Not for me.
Claudia
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was OK, I just couldn't relate to Charlie and I blame him for all the nonsense. He was gaslighting Eli for a moment there.
Daniel S. McDonald
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
good but no unique.
Elaine
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Good Read

I enjoyed reading this book. I loved the characters, and it had a good storyline. A good read. It was also well written.
WycEd Reader

Check out our Too Hot! post on Wicked Reads.

Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Sarah ☆☆☆
This is a gentle romance with some firefighting action. Firefighter Eli has a checklist for a prospective life partner and Charlie ticks most of his boxes except for Elis slightly alarming suspicion that he might be a serial arsonist.

• Let Me Show You (True-Blue, #1)
  • Alpha Barman (J.T's Bar #1)
  • Ripples & Waves: A Queer Retelling of Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid
  • Yours For The Holiday
  • Building Forever (This Time Forever, #1)
  • Prince of Killers (Fog City, #1)
  • Always the Groomsman
  • A Reason To Stay (Heroes #1)
  • Hard Truths
  • The Carpenter's Apprentice
  • More Than Everything (Family, #3)
  • Off Campus (Bend or Break, #1)
  • Top Shelf (Seacroft, #1)
  • I've Got You (True-Blue, #2)
  • Becoming Us (True-Blue #3)
  • Alpha Chef (J.T's Bar, #2)
  • A Boyfriend for Christmas
  • What Lies Beneath (Lancaster Falls Trilogy, #1)
Avery Giles is a brown-eyed, fair-haired, moss-covered swamp witch who subsists on energy drinks and the hearts of her enemies. Her day-to-day routine involves waking up, writing three sentences, staring at those three sentences until her brain tells her why they're wrong, watching eighteen hours of Netflix, and luring bandits away from the safety of the well-lit path. If asked about her favorite ...more

News & Interviews

Are you new to reading mysteries and thrillers and feeling overwhelmed by where to start? As all good detectives know, narrowing down the list ...