Start by marking “The Letters of Mina Harker” as Want to Read:
The Letters of Mina Harker

The Letters of Mina Harker

In Dodie Bellamy's imagined "sequel" to Bram Stoker's fin de siècle masterpiece Dracula, Van Helsing's plain Jane secretarial adjunct, Mina Harker, is recast as a sexual, independent woman living in San Francisco in the 1980s. The vampire Mina Harker, who possesses the body of author Dodie Bellamy, confesses the most intimate details of her relationships with four vast ...more
Published September 27th 2004 by University of Wisconsin Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Letters of Mina Harker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Letters of Mina Harker

Start your review of The Letters of Mina Harker
Morgan M. Page
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Like Kathy Acker but obsessed with horror movies instead of opaque French literary theory, Dodie Bellamy explodes languages and writes a series of letters on her relationships with men while possessed by the spirit of vampire Mina Harker. Bellamy is living a narrative, as Kevin Killian tells her several times throughout the book, and that narrative is bursting at the seams, threatening to spill out into all kinds of incoherent directions. I'd give this a four but I'm giving it an extra star for ...more
D.W. Lichtenberg
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
This books is breathtaking in its use of language. Told in a faux epistolary, it details the fight for the body of Dodie Bellamy between the author and the vampire (spirit?) Mina Harker. Ultimately, it's hard for me to make a judgement call on a book like this. While I feel I might be able to get a lot out of the read if assisted in an academic setting, ultimately I found very few roads into this book. I was constantly stalled, the language is the language for the sake of being the language, and ...more
Liza
Jun 20, 2012 added it
in theory, i really love this book, but actually reading it didn't do that much for me. there was a kind of gooey 90s vibe i liked but something about reading tons about women's desire for men just really turns me off. a little like chris kraus that way? and even (secretest) kathy acker. i think there is probably a form of misogyny in this that i should work on. more recent dodie bellamy i like more with my feelings.
Matias Viegener
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books ever. It virtually created a new genre: Writing Through. This book is a writing-through of Stoker's Dracula. The seamless splicing of Dodie and Mina has to be one of contemporary literatures great tropes. The narrative spin between the novel and Dodies I knew a few of the writers to whom Bellamy addressed the letters, and the overlap between Dracula character and addressee adds yet another layer to a delicious and erotic textual web.
Sara
Jul 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library, fiction
i remember reading this book under the covers with a flashlight in my little apartment on 21st street. i had just quit a job as a stocker at the esprit outlet. my boyfriend was away on tour and i was lonely though i had houseguests. i checked the book out from the san francisco public library.
Elizabeth
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
mina harker, passive girl reporter no more! bellamy gives good sentence and even better sex.
Masha
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Some of the lines in this book have stayed with me forever.
Blair
I've struggled with reading this text. I started this in college for a class and never finished it. I've actually attempted to read this novel twice prior to finishing it today. It's not an easy read. I liked it because it was different, but I also didn't like it because it was so outside my realm of understanding the post-modern genre. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the majority of the story. I think it will be awhile before I attempt a post-modern novel again.
Kyle
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Writing versus life—is the one flight, the other hot pursuit? I don't remember."
Blake Nemec
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
If you love the epistolary form and New Narrative fiction, this will take you. Dirty love letters between Bellamy and Sam D'Allesandro comprise half the book. He is dieing on the way. In the center is his funeral which is followed by Bellamy's excavation into texts and writing and death. I read sections here and there before sitting down and reading it in its entirety, I recommend either.

I'm not sure about the effort to write as Mina Harker, but I've never read Dracula so am probably missing alo
Susanna
Jul 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
The Letters of Mina Harker is a dishy fictionalized memoir from SF literary illuminary Dodie Bellamy. As with other stuff I've seen from Dodie, a mix of beauty and vulgarity and sometimes a surprising combo of both at once. Vulgarity maybe isn't quite the right word. Explicit information. TMI (but you want to keep reading anyway). By turns touching and repugnant. Etc. You get the idea. You should read it.
Mitch
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Amazing epistolary novel. Mixes "real" diaristic writings with imagined diaries, blurs all literary boundaries and entertains, too. Sexy, funny, claustrophobic and alarming. I first read this work in fragments, which were being published in various magazines and newsletters, seemingly frantically trying to reach a readership, which breathlessly awaited every installment. Takes all the air out of the room. Place carefully on the bookshelf. Plays well, but with finality, with others.
Louie
Oct 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
What can I say? Dodie Bellamy is a shock-jock poet whose adolescent writing can only be characterized as drawing dicks on a restroom stall.

She purposely, I think its purposely, destroys any hopes of flow with her experimental treaties for shit on paper.

People like this garbage because they feel like they have to like it.
Oren Whightsel
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
this book isn't for everyone...but bellamy is truly an amazing writer.
9elb6

• Wrong
  • The Marbled Swarm
  • My Loose Thread
  • The Dream Police: Selected Poems, 1969-1993
Dodie Bellamy is an American novelist, nonfiction author, journalist and editor. Her work is frequently associated with that of Dennis Cooper, Kathy Acker, and Eileen Myles. She is one of the originators in the New Narrative literary movement, which attempts to use the tools of experimental fiction and critical theory and apply them to narrative storytelling.

She ist married to Kevin Killian.

News & Interviews