Start by marking “Haven't They Grown” as Want to Read:
Haven't They Grown

Haven't They Grown

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  8,555 ratings  ·  1,284 reviews

Just because she knows her ex-best friend lives near the football ground, that doesn't mean she has to drive past her house and try to catch a glimpse of her. Why would Beth do that, and risk dredging up painful memories? She hasn't seen Flora for twelve years. She doesn't w
Published January 23rd 2020 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Haven't They Grown, please sign up.
Robin I found this really illuminating about the way in which the daughter views her mother and father, and their capacity for exacting a fair result from a…moreI found this really illuminating about the way in which the daughter views her mother and father, and their capacity for exacting a fair result from a difficult situation. It confirms not only the mother daughter relationship, but the mother's strength. In addition, it ties into the concerns the mother has about the school. There is quite a lot about schooling/exams/ teachers etc in the novel so this scene certainly does not come from left field. It has an important role in several aspects of the story. Social commentary? The whole novel is social commentary, and good on Sophie Hannah for this. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lauren
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  8,555 ratings  ·  1,284 reviews

Start your review of Haven't They Grown
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is So Wild!😨😱

THIS IS SOOOO CRAZY! IF YOU LOVE YOUR BRAIN AND NOT TO GET EXPLODED SO EASILY BE CAUTIOUS AS YOU READ THIS BOOK! This is nassstyyy and I enjoy it wholeheartedly!

I found my fictional soul mate: obsessive character reader, has no limits and never cares when somebody warns her to stop, a quiet young version Of Miss Marple and a little mature version of Nancy Drew, keeps digging and digging till she finds the truth!

Yes! I’m talking about DEAR BETH (our absolutely nuts, extremely
Yun
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect Little Children starts out with Beth driving by the home of her best friend, Flora, who she lost touch with 12 years ago. She knows she shouldn't be there, but she's so curious about her friend. She sees Flora call out to her children Thomas and Emily to get out of the car, but the children who appear look exactly the same as the children Beth remembers, aged five and three, from 12 years ago. They should be teenagers now, but the children Beth sees haven't aged a bit, as if they've been ...more
Ceecee
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-5 stars

Well, if you like twisty and twistier then this is your book! Beth and Dom have grown apart from Flora and Lewis Brain and haven’t seen them for 12 years. On a whim, Beth decided to go to Newnham House, the last address she has for them. She parks up, sees Flora drive up to the secure gates of the large house, she gets out of the car with two children who she calls Thomas and Emily. What? The Thomas and Emily Beth knew should now be 17 and 15, so what on earth is going on? To describe
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is So Wild!😨😱

Yes! I’m talking about DEAR BETH (our absolutely nuts, extremely
Beverley
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Gah, I was so disappointed by this book. I first heard about it at Theakstons Crime Writing Festival in 2018 and thought the premise sounded amazing. It is such a great hook and that was the only reason I kept reading, because I just had to know what happened next. The problem was the book was repetitive, overly complicated and dull and the actual 'reveal' was deeply unsatisfying and completely absurd. There was also a random side plot brought in three quarters of the way through which served no ...more
Mandy White
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Haven’t They Grown is one crazy story! And I really enjoyed it. I read this in a day whilst on holidays, struggling to put it down. I just needed to know what was going to happen next and how it was all going to play out. Every time you think you know what is the outcome will be it throws you another curve ball. Keeps life interesting! Yes the story is out there and at times a little unrealistic but that is why we read sometimes, for an escape from reality.

I have enjoyed quite a few Sophie Hann
Jayme
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up for originality!

Perhaps you have wondered about a friend you have lost touch with?

Facebook doesn’t have the answers you are seeking..

Would you drive by their house for a glimpse of what has become of them, if given the chance?

When Beth has that opportunity, she takes it, but she cannot believe what she sees...Her former best friend, Flora, looks the same, but twelve years older..

But five year old Thomas, and three year old Emily, look EXACTLY as they did, the last time she saw
Dennis
Sady, I’m going to have to DNF this book. I’m finding it rather unbelievable that someone would go this far to finding out a possible mishap with a former friend from a decade prior.
Faith
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based upon a brief glimpse, Beth becomes convinced that her former friend Flora has somehow managed to have 2 children who have not aged during the past 12 years. They are even wearing the same clothes. This is the second psychological suspense novel that I’ve read recently that managed to be very entertaining, while not being at all plausible. Really, no one’s behavior in this book makes any sense at all. When I read the blurb I was actually hoping for a sci-fi element, so I was a little disapp ...more
Berit☀️✨
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, buddy-read
This book was wild! Cannot wait to discuss this next Saturday!

This book in emojis 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 🚙 ✂️ 📱 👶🏼 🤳🏼
Miriam Smith
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’d yet to read a Sophie Hannah book, even after they’d come highly recommended by fellow readers. I was therefore very excited to be given the opportunity to read her latest novel “Haven’t They Grown” (also under the title “Perfect Little Children”).
“All Beth has to do is drive her son to his Under-14s away match, watch him play, and bring him home. Just because she knows her ex-best friend Flora, lives near the football ground, that doesn't mean she has to drive past her house and try to catc
Whispering Stories
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Husband and wife Beth and Dom used to be best friends with couple Flora and Lewis. Their children were roughly the same age, apart from Flora’s youngest Georgina who was only a few months old when they all lost touch.

Lewis came into some money and the family moved away to St Ives in Cornwall. Twelve years had passed by and although Beth had tried to keep in contact nothing had come of it. She had also tried to see their new home on Google Maps but they l
Javier
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I read the blurb for "Perfect Little Children" I got intrigued. The premise was so unusual that I couldn't begin to guess how it would unfold. With such an original starting point, this book could have gone terribly wrong, but nothing further from the truth. The author weaves such an intricately plot that you NEED to keep on reading to try to make some sense of what is happening, making Beth's character and her dogged pursuit of the truth completely relatable. One of the things I like ...more
Lexi Mag
Feb 15, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Erica 📚
What a long, tedious piece of crap.

I ended up skimming so many pages of useless crap that was mostly just repeated information over and over and over. The main character is obnoxious and needed to be arrested for stalking and trespassing multiple times throughout the book just to satisfy her own curiosity. I kept reading because I wanted to know what was going on. Was it something supernatural? Was it human cloning? Nope and nope. It was just a huge anticlimactic waste of time. It was ridiculou
Lalitha
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Overwrought and completely implausible plot — the twists felt anticlimactic. The only interesting, and frankly, believable character in the book was Zannah, the 17-year old daughter. I wish we had seen/heard more of her story, to be honest.
DeAnn
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
3.5 unique stars (rounded up)

This one had such a new sounding premise, I just had to get a copy from the library. Here the scoop: Beth has always wondered what happened to her old friend Flora. They had a falling out and it’s been 12 years since she’s had any contact. Beth’s son has a football match near Flora’s old house, so she decides to swing by just to see what Flora’s house looks like.

Image Beth’s surprise when she sees Flora arriving at the house with two children that are the same age as
Liz Barnsley
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh I ADORED this - twistier than you could hope for, a complex involving plot, a seemingly impossible mystery, with each passing page you get more and more addicted, whilst scratching your head in bemusement until Sophie Hannah unravels it all for you and it all makes sense.

Clever clever. Also one of my favourite teenage characters in Zannah- a breath of fresh air.

Full review to follow for the tour but definitely highly recommend.
Louise Wilson
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up to 4

Beth was out doing an errand when she comes across an old friend she hasn't seen for twelve years. Beth knew that Flora had two children before they stopped talking to each other. The children that are with Flora are the same age now as when Beth last seen them. Beth becomes obsessed in finding out the truth surrounding the Braids. Beth seeks help from her family and her daughter, Zannah is one than happy to help out.

This story starts off slow but the pace soon picks up. Ther
Salena Moffat
Feb 09, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. The book started off so well and drew me in. By midpoint, I no longer gave a darn about any of the characters (with the single exception of Zannah, the teenaged daughter of the protagonist) and I certainly didn't care about the solution to the weird mystery. Way too drawn-out and way too repetitive.
Mean Drake
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Can't understand the glowing 4 and 5 star reviews given by other readers. I have read and loved her books, specially the Spilling CID and Hercule Poirot series but this book was a let down. The story at best in my opinion deserve a novella.
Oscar
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fucking crazy!! Right from the very start, the book got me hooked. Also, I just want to point out how original, personally, the whole plot was.
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

Opening Hook: Alien children???
Main Character: I would have divorced her.
Plot Twisty-ness: Off the rails but still moving.

Okay, listen, this book is weird AF. You’re either going to fall down the rabbit hole and have a great time with how nuts it gets, or you’re going to DNF that shit because you can’t take how unrealistic it is. It just depends on the kind of reader you tend to be or the state of mind you’re in when you read it.

For me, I am usually looking for something t
Erin Clemence
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This review is for the audiobook version of “Perfect Little Children” by Sophie Hannah, narrated by Laura Kirman and published by Harper Audio.

Beth and her best friend, Flora, stopped speaking to each other twelve years ago, both having their own beliefs as to why the friendship fell apart. When driving her son to soccer practice one day, Beth has the oppourtunity to drive by her ex-best friends’s house and out of curiousity, she gives in the to the urge. Beth witnesses Flora with her two
Fictionophile
Beth and Dominic Leeson were once friends with Flora and Lewis Braid. Such good friends that they even took their holidays together. Twelve years ago something happened which severed their friendship ties completely.

Then, in Cambridgeshire, Beth catches a glimpse of her former friend, looking twelve years older, yet with children of the same names as her children - ONLY THEY HAVEN'T AGED!  They should be teenagers now, but instead they are still three and five years old.  And where is the baby?
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. From start to finish I was hooked on finding out what was really going on. The story was excellent and so well written. It was so gripping and I couldn’t wait to find out what happened next. I thought the characters were really interesting and each of them were different in their own unique way. I didn’t like Zannah though she came across really annoying and I didn’t like when she was involved with the story. The ending was brilliant and explained everything which you d ...more
Ingstje
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!!
What the… what the… what the… hellllll is going on? If I haven’t asked myself this question 30 times or more I haven’t asked it once as I just couldn’t explain how the children didn’t age at all in 12 years. Well I had my ideas right at the start but my train of thought just evaporated and I just let the story take me wherever it was going. Ah, this novel is one big brain twister with thankfully a really great answer waiting for me in the end.

I really liked Beth and her family, especi
Indieflower
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well that was quite the ride - intriguing premise, uber irritating characters, ridiculously convoluted plot - farfetched doesn't even begin to cover it, my eyes were crossed trying to keep up. Did I care about the characters? No. Was I moved or touched by the story in any way? No. Was I entertained? Hell yes, it was so mental I could hardly put it down, I guess sometimes a bit of literary fast food is just what the doctor ordered 😋.
Nikki Houghton
Mar 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
So this book starts with a wonderful bang a brilliant idea a marvellous premise and “wow I’m glad I bought this book” and hooks you in immediately and then......RAPIDLY descends into STUPID farce and I think I’d have preferred child-clones to infant murder and spousal rape and simple psychopathic nonsense.
I have NEVER enjoyed a Hannah book, and it seems I never will. Tripe, utter blooming tripe. Avoid like the plague.
Emma Garland
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Driving her son to a match one day, Beth decides to drop in on a very old friend. It’s been 12 years since Flora and Lewis Braid moved away after losing touch over a small misunderstanding. Parking outside, unsure if she wants to see Flora face to face, Beth becomes lost in thought. A car pulls up shortly after making her pay attention. She sees Flora first, then two small children. Thomas and Emily Braid who look exactly how they did 12 years ago. How on earth is this possible? Driving away utt ...more
Kindle English My...: Sophie Hannah - Haven't They Grown 1 13 May 12, 2020 02:10AM
Madison County NC...: Not so perfect book.... 1 15 Mar 26, 2020 08:50AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 21 Feb 21, 2020 01:32PM

• Apt Pupil
  • The Stranger's Wife (Detective Dan Riley, #3)
  • The Birdwatcher (DS Alexandra Cupidi #0/prequel)
  • A Good Enough Mother
  • The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward #5)
  • The Midwives of Lark Lane
  • The Truth of All Things (Archie Lean #1)
  • Owl Be Home for Christmas (Meg Lanslow, #26)
  • The Other Daughter
  • A Mother's Love
  • Christmas at Tuppenny Corner
  • Shamed (Kate Burkholder, #11)
  • Bad Memory (Jessica Shaw, #2)
  • A Christmas Candle
  • More to the Story
  • The Butterfly Girl (Naomi Cottle, #2)
  • Sticks and Stones (DCI Harry McNeil #1)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
Sophie Hannah is an internationally bestselling writer of psychological crime fiction, published in 27 countries. In 2013, her latest novel, The Carrier, won the Crime Thriller of the Year Award at the Specsavers National Book Awards. Two of Sophie’s crime novels, The Point of Rescue and The Other Half Lives, have been adapted for television and appeared on ITV1 under the series title Case Sensiti ...more

Articles featuring this book

“Dom and I have often agreed that trees are like fish—we ought to know more than we do about the differences between the various types, but we’ve reached our forties and can still only identify weeping willows and salmon with any certainty.” 0 likes
“If we never make any changes that scare us at first, we end up missing out.” 0 likes