Start by marking “Straight Outta Crawley: Memoirs of a Distinctly Average Human Being” as Want to Read:
Straight Outta Crawley: Memoirs of a Distinctly Average Human Being

Straight Outta Crawley: Memoirs of a Distinctly Average Human Being

Straight Outta Crawley is the hilarious and irreverent autobiography from comedian Romesh Ranganathan.

At the age of 9, Romesh Ranganathan delivered his first ever stand-up set at a Pontin's holiday camp talent competition, smashing the other competitor, a young girl playing the kazoo.

The gig went so well that Romesh retired his comic genius for twenty-two years, hiding

Audible Audio
Published October 4th 2018 by Random House Audiobooks

To ask other readers questions about Straight Outta Crawley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straight Outta Crawley

Start your review of Straight Outta Crawley: Memoirs of a Distinctly Average Human Being
Stephen Robert Collins
The mammy's boy Vegan with a posh brillo pan on his chin who cannot escape the handbag of his mother. Just few weeks ago on Jamie & Jimmy's Friday Night Feast show on Ch.4 when he had to cook & serve his Vegan lasagne to the guests which included his beady eyed mother.
If enjoy a good laugh this perfect book. But Do need to have seen him on the TV but Most people are not going to buy a autobiography of a star if don't like him.
I bought this because Of the reviews I seen on this site. This
Caroline
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auto-and-biog, humour
I love Romesh Ranganathan as a comedian, and this was wonderfully funny in places.....but for me there were just not enough of those places to make the book worth reading :O(
Michael Legge
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shame he dies in the end.
Bill Lynas
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first encountered stand up comedian Romesh Ranganathan on the TV shows Live At The Apollo & Mock The Week. He was so funny that I then tuned into two of his his other series, The Misadventures of Romesh Ranganathan & The Ranganation which were both excellent. So, the next step was to tackle his autobiography.....
While, as you'd expect, it's full of amusing stories from his life there were plenty of serious moments that surprised me. He tells of his early of years trying to earn a
Lisa
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Really enjoyed this mini autobiography from British comedian Romesh Ranganathan but you probably need to be a fan or at least be familiar with his comedy to enjoy this book.

I have the added bonus that he grew up in the same town as me so I know the clubs/pubs he refers to and we're the same generation, so probably even some bits that weren't funny made me laugh.

And I watch the UK comedy shows he goes on (Mock the week, Taskmaster) so this might not be for everyone but I really enjoyed it.
Kelly
My only complaint: too short! Laugh out loud funny throughout but I expected nothing less.
Jeni Miles
Quite a few laugh-out-loud moments but the structure of the book was a bit hard to follow... It also just sort of ended without any warning!
bojana
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love, love romesh! i listened to every episode of "hip hop saved my life" and i think his mom is a legend. this is the only book i was almost tempted to get the audio version of.
he "warned" us that he likes to go off on a tangent, but i think it works. he mostly shares his pre-fame life, that i don't know how imagined before (or just thought, oh, he was a maths teacher, decided to become a comedian and it magically happened), but the story is, of course, much more complicated. the part about
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
As someone with strong affiliations with Crawley, I pre-ordered this book as I knew I had to read more about Romeshs start in life. I saw quite a few of his early gigs before he hit the big time, so I really enjoyed reading about the other, lesser-known facets of his life. I love Romeshs self-deprecating sense of humour, and the book being written in this very style meant it was a very easy, enjoyable book to read. Hes had some obstacles in life but has followed his passion and come good, and ...more
Kab
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The mystique is obliterated. I was disappointed by his shallow, regurgitating defence at the end of chapter nine; punching down subverts nothing. I am however heavily into self-deprecation and anecdotes of social inoperativeness (plus laid-back veganism) so this book had the highest laugh rate out of any comic memoir I've read so far. That's excluding when he's slagging off his loved ones as part of his routine and for the most part excluding his recounting a succession of humiliations contained ...more
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable read that made me laugh throughout. I love Romesh's dry humor, but I still much prefer his shows to this book. My main issue was that in some places it felt very disjointed and jumbled, and I felt myself getting a little lost.
Andy Angel
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cyrin Cyriac
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was laughing throughout this book. Super funny guy!
Mira
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version and laughed out loud. Romesh is relatable and funny. I loved learning a little bit more about his backstory too.
Ricardo Motti
I liked it. But 30% of the book was him explaining how he said something to someone that made him look like an asshole but, really, he's not an asshole, it was all a big misunderstanding.
Abi McManigan
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved Romesh Ranganathan and I'm so glad I decided to read his book on audio book. It was so good, with touching moments and hilarious anecdotes that had me laughing throughout.

Right from the introduction I realised just how genuine and incredibly funny Romesh was going to be throughout. Mentioning that his mother bought him a "rank" suit for his birthday then claiming to be wearing it as he wrote the rest of the rest of the intro (with the curtains drawn) out of guilt.

And you learn
Xanthi
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on audiobook. Narrated by the author.
I enjoy Romeshs style of humour so when I found out he wrote a book, I was keen to get my hands on it.
Whilst some of it made me laugh, the book as a whole was a bit...meh. I enjoyed the parts about his schooldays and was curious as to how he got from teacher to stand up comedian, but the timeline felt very disjointed. It jumped around a lot as he described the push and pull of teaching and trying to do live comedy.
I also found his attitude
AnnaG
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir, 2019
I love Romesh as a stand-up comedian and have thoroughly enjoyed his TV shows. This is a well-written auto-biog with real humour and some rapping! The parts talking about Romesh's childhood and career as a teacher, were eye-opening, but once we reached Romesh's career as a stand-up, frankly the life of a TV comedian is less interesting than one would expect and seems to involve a lot of name-dropping, travelling, drinking and bombing.
Kirstie
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
So disappointed with this and him....
I liked him as s comedian but this just didnt work for me. Most of it was stories followed of up with in only joking or well not really. Also lots of Ive got lots of attitude because of my childhood yawn yawn.
Also it was all over the place and the book just didnt flow he started a story and went off on a tangent for most of the book so it felt messy

Finally, his wife deserves a medal
Leanne Keenoo
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this on Audible narrated by Romesh himself.
If you like him on the telly you will enjoy this book.
I love his understated humour. It had me laughing
Jackie
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
3-3.5 stars. Disappointing. I don't really feel as if I know anything more about Romesh after reading this book. Still enjoy his stand up though & look forward to seeing him again later in the year.
Ruth Culbreth
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny guy.
Snoakes
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is there to say about a comedian's memoir? Presumably you like Romesh Ranganathan's comedic style, otherwise why are you even reading this? Assuming that you do, then there is plenty to enjoy in Straight Outta Crawley. The majority of the book is about his career and how he got the breaks that got him where he is now. What shines through is how grateful he is to his family and colleagues who helped him on his way. An entertaining and easy read that won't change your world, but is a ...more
Logan Horsford
Usually memoirs by comedians are funny, that's why I read them. Not sure who considered this book 'hilarious'.

It wasn't.

It was, at best, mildly interesting.

Always nice to see a very flawed, very human ...er...human succeed in something they want to do.

I mean the stand up comedy part. Not the writing part. I was ambivalent on the book at best.
Diocletian
The book's subtitle is memoirs of a distinctly average human being. I am pleased to report that the memoir itself is slightly above average. The book shows in detail how hard it was for him to make it as a stand up. From humble beginnings to Maths teacher and finally a comedian. He also mentions what actually causes his right eyelid to be "lazy" or droopy: an infection as a child. He admits there's no actual deviation there. He mentions, how he is often critiqued about talking about race too ...more
David Proffitt
I have to say right from the start that Auto Biographies are not my usual preference. Not that I have anything against them, I just, on the whole, prefer to read fiction in my increasingly limited leisure time. That said, I have enjoyed quite a number of biographies, p[articularly when the writer is of interest to me. This particular book was a gift and I have to admit that I would not have chosen to read it otherwise. I think the idea was to prepare me for seeing Romesh on his tour in the ...more
Louise Douglas
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
For New Years Eve, my husband had the crazy idea that wed welcome in the new year in Scarborough, and this was the book we picked to keep us company for the 3+ hour round trip.

It made the drive go so much more quickly, we were in stitches at many points during the book. But the book wasnt all funny, and at times was quite a heart-rending look into what growing up and becoming a comedian looked like for Romesh it hasnt all been sunshine and daisies by any stretch of the imagination.

I love audio
Adam Palmer
I really like Romesh. Every time I see him on TV, whether it's his own stand up or as part of a panel show, I think he adds a unique style of funny that is quite rare. He can make jokes about himself but is brilliant at bantz on a panel! My wife even likes him AND we saw him at Butlins on his own family holiday. So he's also keepin it real even tho he's on TV.

So I wanted to know more about the guy. He's kinda exploded in popularity over the past few years and I wanted to know what that felt
Samar
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, comedy
This book has been by far the best book I have ever read. The way I can tell is this because I dont normally bring the book that I read absolutely everywhere possible more than this. I read it at night, I read it in the car, I read it at school, and I read it on the floor, and I read it on the door. This book contains a lot of humour that most kids wont understand but as I am highly intellectual child with a super human brain I know a lot of the stuff that hes saying and find it amusing. He is ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Him & Me
  • Who Am I, Again?
  • How to Grow Old: A middle-aged man moaning
  • Do You Know What?: Life According to Freddie Flintoff
  • Parsnips, Buttered: How to baffle, bamboozle and boycott your way through modern life
  • Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing: Life, Death and the Thrill of the Catch