Start by marking “Bea's Bees” as Want to Read:

Bea's Bees

Beatrix discovers a wild bumblebee nest on her way home from school and finds herself drawn to their busy world. When her bees mysteriously disappear, Bea hatches a plan to bring them back. Can Bea inspire her school and community to save the bees? Bees provide us with valuable resources, and some types of bees are in danger of disappearing forever. But ordinary people ...more
Published March 28th 2019 by Schiffer Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Bea's Bees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bea's Bees

Start your review of Bea's Bees
Bridget
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This colourful and delightful little book introduces very young readers to the habits and environment of a bee. The text is straight-forward and easy to understand for small ones and it is nicely complemented by modern, strong artwork. It is sweet, pleasing and positively told with its bright and eye-catching colours and pretty flowers. With Beatrix (Bea) as the strong main character, this wonderful book is perfectly balanced between the story and the message it delivers.

There is a section at
Tara
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this arc from Netgalley for an honest review. This is a great picture book for kids about the importance of bees and how we can help them survive.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is a well done book about a young girl named Bea and what happens when she finds a bee colony/hive in an old oak tree in the park. She watches them work and fly. She notices that the bees are lively and happy collecting pollen. She visits them often, until, one day the bees are gone. She decides that she needs to find out what happened to the bees. With the help of the librarian, she discovers that the flowers they used for food disappeared. She continues her research to find out what else ...more
Kriss
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great book to share with my library students for Bee Week this week. It was just the right mix of read aloud and bee facts to share before they went to observe our library hive. Cute book!
Rachael Davis (Picture Book Perfect)
This review is from a Saturday Spotlight feature on my blog which includes an interview with both Katherine and Ellie (click here for full feature).

When Bea discovers a hive of bumblebees, she begins visiting them every day until one day she visits and they’ve vanished. She learns all she can about bumblebees and makes it her mission to create an environment for the bees to return, but will she succeed?

Favourite Spread:
I’ve found it hard to pick a favourite spread because there are so many gems
Paula
Local author Katherine Pryor has tackled another nature related topic. Added to Zora’s Zucchini and Sylvia’s Spinach is Bea’s Bees.
Bea follows the bees and returns to their home in a tree in the park She is disappointed when they are gone. She notices cut flowers and asks her librarian what type of flowers a bee likes. Bea learns a lot about bees and tries to attract them to her tree where they were housed. She even hands out flower seeds to others, hoping her bees will return to her
Pam
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from Schiffer Kids via NetGalley.
Bea finds a bee colony in an old oak tree in the park. She watches them work and fly. One day, they're gone and she doesn't understand why. She asks her teacher and librarian for help. She discovers that the flowers the bees ate were cut off. Bea continues her research and plants flowers bees like to bring back the colony. She passes wildflower seeds to everyone at the science fair too. Soon flowers bloom all over town. The bees and the
Erin Buhr
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
This is a delightful book about bees, but what I actually love most about it is how it empowers children. Not just by telling them they can go make a difference or even by giving them an example of someone does, although it does that too, but because it gives them actual steps to take. Camouflaged in between a well paced story and a character you will root for, are ideas for kids who have questions. What do you do when you don't know why something happened? What do you do when you find out what ...more
Kristi Bernard
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bea developed a fondness for bees when she discovered a hive in the park. She noticed the bees were lively and happy collecting pollen. One day the bees were gone. She made it her mission to find out why they left and how to get them back. With the help of a librarian she researched bees the flowers they like and had a plan to get them back.

Young readers will love this book, especially if they love plants and bees. Readers will learn about various plants and how bees need them to survive and so
Theresa
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
by Katherine Pryor
This is a great story for empowering young children that they can affect and change things in their world. Bea found a hidden treasure a natural wild bee hive, she was enthralled with the bees, But when the colony disappeared she did not stop at that. Bea when and researched and found out what things she could do to save the bees. Bea found out important bees were. And she did something about it. Its an empowering book with great information, and is the how to for
Rebecca
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The illustrations are simple and pretty and don't distract from the story. It can be used as a nice story or be delved into deeper by bringing awareness to the children that we need to protect our open spaces and flowers so that we can keep the wildlife alive. It is the start of simple conservation talk and I think would work really well.

I would use this book in school with children aged 3-9 years old as I feel like they would all take it on different levels and it is very
Theediscerning
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very pleasant and attractive book about a girl who loves her local colony of bees and worries when they vanish, but one with an awkward ending. In just having the bees rush back out of a hole in the ground the implied answer is that they would come back anyway – which kind of defeats the purpose of the book. Still, others might read it differently to me, and in that case the simple lesson in how to encourage bees for all our benefits is a more than decent one. Other books rattle through the ...more
Anna
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I love this little book! When I am looking for children's titles, the first thing I look for in a story is the lesson. This story teaches several lessons about curiosity, inquisitiveness, learning, patience, community, and hope.

The facts at the end are helpful, as well as the facts and the plan throughout! I enjoyed the illustrations, as they took care to show a caring world.

I delightfully received a digital ARC from Schiffer Publishing Ltd. through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
trishajennreads
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so lovely!

The wonderful folks at Thomas Allen & Son sent me this book for review and, goodness, I love it. Beatrix discovers a hive of bees in her park. She visits them and watches how they flit about from flower to flower. When her bees disappear, Bea goes to the library to learn all about bees and figure out a way to bring them back. The story is told in perfectly bite-sized bits on gorgeous illustrations. This will be a book your nature-loving kiddo will want to read again
Amanda
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Thanks NetGalley for providing an advance copy in exchange for my honest opinions.
Kids will be buzzing for Bea and her bees. I loved the representation, and the story of someone who sees the beauty in bees instead of being afraid, and that when faced with their loss, she rolled up her sleeves and found something to do about it. Great tips in the book too about how like minded children could make their own change in their neighborhood!
Sheri
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Bea discovers bees in a park near her home, but they disappear and she wants to know where they went. She asks her teacher and the librarian and then finds books and researches where they have gone. Bea decides to help them come back by creating an environment that welcomes them. The back gives a call to others to create a friendly environment for the bees and why it is important.
Juliana Lee
Bea falls in love with bees after finding a hive in an old oak tree. She learns as much as she can about bees. Then one day the bees disappear. Bea vows to help bring them back. She presents her work in the science fair and passes out wildflower seeds to all her classmates. Soon flowers are growing again in her neighborhood and the bees return.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Helen Ishmurzin
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beatrix loves to watch the bees that buzz in and out of their hive in a tree in her local park. So when they mysteriously disappear, Bea is determined to find out what happened and bring them back.

We see how Bea first goes to her teacher, then reads up on bees at the library finally raises awareness by making her science fair project all about bees – even handing out wildflower seeds to other children to plant themselves. In more ways that one, Bea sows the seeds for change. Finally, she’s
***Book Lady ***
Absolutely LOVED this children's picture book! Beautiful illustrations and a VERY important message as to the importance of bee's to the food, trees, and flowers we grow. I loved that Beatrice was such an advocate for the bees, handing out seeds to her town, and pamphlets to teach others. I recommend this book to everyone - Well-done Katherine Pryor!!!
Teresa Grabs
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bea is an inquisitive young lady who discovers a bumblebee hive one day after school. When those bees disappear, she begins to ask why and how can she get them to come back. One question led to another, then another, and eventually she learned what bee's need. Using her science fair project as a way to spread what she learned, Bea enlisted the all her friends, and the community, in planting wildflowers in order to attract more bees. The illustrations in the book bring the story to life. It is a ...more
Sally Wilsey
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story on bees to tell a child. This is the story of Bea a young girl who was facinated by the bees who lived in a tree. One day she goes to the tree and finds the bees are gone. The next day the butterfly is gone. She talks to her teacher and librarian and reads all she can about bees. Bea then decides that only flowers will bring back the bees. So she goes on a campaign to bring back the bees to the tree and her neighborhood. This book tells alot about bees and why we need ...more
Terrie Case
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bea’s Bees is a positive story about bees. So often, bees are depicted as scary, flying insects to be avoided or get stung. This book shows that bees are good. They can fly around you while they search for flowers. It explains what bees do with pollen and how they help. Bea is sad when the bees disappear and researches why they went away and how to get them back. In the end that is exactly what occurs.

I enjoyed this easy to read book. The illustrations are wonderful. Being afraid of bees was
Jespionage310
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book with a very special message. We loved the story and the illustrations. I love how it teaches children the importance of nature. I would recommend.
Nicola
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fabulous book with a very important message. I will be purchasing this book and making extra sure to plant some weeks flowers in the garden. My son (nearly 3) loved the story.
Kathleen Guinnane
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great picture book for introducing the importance of bees as pollinators to young readers. It's a story about a girl who visits a bee hive to watch the bees and then one day they are all gone. She's curious where they went and wants to do anything she can to bring them back. So, armed with library books and research she tries to help the bees so they will return.
Lea  Bowski
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It's great for kids and has a great message about saving the bees. Kids can learn about how the fate of the bees can and will impact food, trees, and basic day to day life.

The art is colorful and the main character is a young girl who shows curiosity, intelligence and kindness which should reflect well on any child reading it.

Thank you to NetGalley for the advance copy!
Elizabeth
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This sweet little book introduces why bees are so important to our environment with some good back-matter. It is about a young girl on a journey to learn more about the bees in her park.
Jessica McAllister
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I really enjoyed this book. This would be a great addition to school libraries where kids are learning about pollinators and the importance of bees. Little ones might not understand everything but it would be a great intro to this important environmental topic.
I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

• Astro Pea
  • Sulwe
  • There Was an Old Woman Who Lived in a Book
  • Wish
  • High Five
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Ida and the Whale
  • The Woods
  • It's a Round, Round World!
  • Randall and Randall
  • Sandy Feet! Whose Feet?: Footprints at the Shore
  • Think Smart, Be Fearless: A Biography of Bill Gates
  • Hibernate with Me
  • Up to Something
Katherine has worked to create better food choices at institutions, large corporations, and food banks. She grew up digging in the soils of California & Arizona, but her home garden is now in Seattle.

She made her picture book debut with Sylvia’s Spinach, which is widely used to support nutrition education and school garden curriculum. Her second picture book, Zora's Zucchini, won the 2016