Start by marking “The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived” as Want to Read:
The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived

The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived

Knights, dragons, and princesses are the things all good fairytales are made of, but what happens when the tale has an LGBTQ ending? Follow Cedric on his journey from his days on a humble pumpkin farm to the adventures that lead him to become a full-fledged knight. Once a knight, discover how he uses his cleverness and courage to vanquish a fire-breathing dragon and rescue ...more
Published April 28th 2019 by Schiffer Kids (first published March 21st 2014)

Start your review of The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived
Mel (Epic Reading)
First up, I can't comment on the Hulu show that has been made of this book as it is not (yet) accessible in Canada. Second, when I requested this ARC I was not aware it was being made into a show; I just wanted to read a fairy tale with a 'twist'.

We start out very typical with "Once Upon a Time" and while it all ends with "Happily Ever After" the content in the middle of this knight's story is not quite what you'd expect. Written in rhyming couplets it's easy to find a flow and pace that works
Silvia
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, pride-recs
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via Edelweiss for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

Why am I reading children's books on my Saturday night? Well because they're gay and I've deluded myself into thinking that I have an online presence and therefore I should spread the word about all kinds of queer books. And maybe someone reading this is a parent of a small kid and would like more recommendations like this, so here I am.

(Also I never had books like th
Susana
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

4 stars

This book is undeniably adorable!

It follows a little boy, Cedric, who loves pumpkins, in his journey to become a knight.

The artwork is absolutely beautiful and I love how there is rhyme throughout the story because it made the writing flow very nicely.

I also adore how this effortlessly includes LGBTQ+ characters and I think this would be an amazing book for young children, especially since it exposes them to th
Meep
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet little fairytale written for young children about a little boy's adventures. There's a gentle rhyme and humour to it and it made me smile.
I like how this story ends, sometimes it's not about the pretty, pretty princess and every child deserves the right to dream.

It's illustrated and narrated, a short video I recommend even to those who don't have kids ;) - available free here click here for video go watch it!
Adam
And Cedric knew, "My fairy tale...this is how it ends."

Sometimes all you really need is a children's book with pretty pictures and rhyming words.

Cedric loves two things - pumpkins and playing at being a knight. Maybe one day he'll get to be the real thing.

But he knows one thing for sure - a princess isn't where his story will lead.

The storybook follows Cedric as he becomes a real knight, and then saves his prince. From a ferocious fire-breathing dragon, of course.

I was thoroughly entertained
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Simone
Shelves: picture-books

This adorable, pumpkin-armored knight will make you smile for sure!

“Once upon a time, inside a kingdom like your own,
There lived a knight named Cedric, the bravest ever known.”

The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived is a fairy tale full of the classics—castles, knights, and dragons. But we also get a new take on the happily ever after. Does Cedric slay the dragon and find his prince? YES!, I said prince! :) This ending is definitely needed on fairy tale shelves everywhere.

Cedric is our hero. A lad we
Richard Cardenas
Watched the short on Hulu. Such an amazing children's story.
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Schiffer Publishing Ltd and Daniel Errico for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

"No one should be punished for being themselves. No one should be treated unfairly because of whom they love."

4 stars.

This is not your standard Knight story. The knight doesn't slay the dragon and then marry the Princess. No, that is not how this story goes. Yeah there is a dragon (Yay!) and yes there is a Prince and Princess that are saved, but it's not the Princess t
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you very much to Schiffer Kids for providing a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Awww this was adorable! I've never read a queer kids book before -- and I definitely never read one when I myself was a kid -- and I'm glad this one was the first, and that children have these kinds of books today, because they're so important.

The book is short -- it's a children's novel -- and follows a young boy on his quest to becoming a knight. He eventually rescues a prince and his sist
- ̗̀ amy ̖́-
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arcs
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

this was so adorable! i wish i had a child in my life to read this to because i feel like it’s so important to normalise things especially for kiddos 🥺
Antonella
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In fact I would have given it 4 solid stars, but it is a matter of principle, because I saw a homophobic 1-star-review...

The book is delightful: after years of hard training a brave pumpkin farmer becomes a (pumpkin-addicted) knight, and instead of slaying the dragon (view spoiler)
Sarah Peterman
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
What little kid (as in still a toddler) cares about marriage, is the main question I have about this book. I liked it all in all, just why about the marriage? And I would have asked this if it was a man and a woman, or a woman and woman. Just reading to my four year old, and it felt odd to be talking about marriage at all, which my kid couldn't care less about. But the dragon was cool, and we both agreed we wouldn't want to feed a dragon, even if it only wanted to eat pumpkins.
whataslacker
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great picture book that teaches us all how to be true ourselves. As I read the story I realized I had seen this before (on Hulu as a short). Glad to see it in print again in a lovely edition too.
This is utterly precious~

This is super sweet and cute. I love the cleverness of Cedric and the art is super cute. The ending, Cedric getting the prince, was so sweet and I got a little misty eyed. These are kinds of stories we need in this world~
Donna Maguire
This was such a lovely story! I thought that the images were lovely, the story had a lovely flow to it and some excellent characters too. It is 5 stars from me, it was well written and I loved the ending – very highly recommended!!
Char (lunarchar_)
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, owned-read
(ARC|GIFTED|NETGALLEY) this was instantly a winner for me as I adore children’s books that rhyme! So cute and the illustrations were wonderful.
Bookish Devil
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read countless fairytales in my life but never something like this. It follows the story of how Cedric, a poor and an honest pumpkin farmer who went on to become a distinguished knight. The story was narrated in a poetic manner with a lovely rhyme scheme. The illustrations complemented the narration well and made it even more enjoyable to read. The LGBTQ touch at the end was magnificent and quite unexpected. It brought a wide smile on my face. Hands down to Daniel Errico for selecting such ...more
Steff Pasciuti
| Reader Fox Blog |

In so many ways, I found The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived by Daniel Errico and Illustrated by Shiloh Penfield to be one of the best children’s books I have ever read. I feel truly grateful to live in a time where a book like this has been published and frankly a little disgusted that it’s only now that this is becoming somewhat more common. The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived is a Story about a Knight who saves and falls in love with a Prince. And I loved every second of r
Bridget
I technically watched the video for this, but I'm counting it anyway.
Ren HappilyBuriedInBooks
Jul 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived flips inclusion 40 pages in the right direction. The focus of this archetypal or paradigmatic traditional tale is not differentiation or discrimination. Instead of fighting bigotry, Cedric heroically fights a dragon, and bravely requests the fairy tale ending he has in mind for himself.

Cedric is a solid protagonist in his own right: friendly, adventurous, brave, humble, and a quick thinker. There isn’t just one label that makes Cedric the person he is. Through
Alexander Fernandez
Originally published at Mr. Alex's Bookshelf: https://mralexbookshelf.com/2020/05/2...

Daniel Errico left his job as an engineer to pursue a career as a children’s book author. He created the site Free Children’s Stories, believing that every child should have access to stories for free. A self-identified cisgender, heterosexual male, Errico writes a beautiful, touching story about a young pumpkin-farmer turned dashing knight. With a twist.

Quick Rating: Buy & Keep

Summary
Cedric, our young hero, li
Theediscerning
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book, but certainly not the one I was expecting. A humble pumpkin farmer's son flukes his way into the knighthood, and has a successful mission. The beginning of the lad's story is fine, then (if a little too much of the length of the book), and the middle equally decent (if short) – the whole thing hinges around what he wants his story's ending to be. Cue bible belt America burning copies of it (or deleting it at such a high speed it hardly touches their recycle bin), as we suddenly lear ...more
Alex
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, lgbtq
This picture book has beautiful, engaging illustrations and is told in rhyming couplets. It moves along at a good pace but manages to fit a lot of background in at the same time. It builds up from Cedric as a young boy playing on the farm to the feat of bravery that earns him an apprenticeship with a knight to his own knighting and his first solo quest as an adult.

On that quest, he comes across a brother and sister – prince and princess – trapped in a castle guarded by a fearsome dragon. Cedric
Lara Lillibridge
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable little rhyming story about a knight who saves the day and lives happily ever after, except with a prince, not a princess. I'm not partial to rhyming stories, but this one flowed very nicely and wasn't forced. I feel like a lot of well-written picture books have only mediocre artwork, but Shiloh Penfield's illustrations are colorful and endearing. I think when the common narrative of children's books are heteronormative, it doesn't allow children to see other possibilities, an ...more
Leah Horton
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay. So first off I didn’t begin reading this book intending to cry or have any feeling beyond “awe what a cute children’s book”, but this book was fantastic and I had all of the feels by the end.

An adorably illustrated book about a little boy who follows his dreams to become a knight. Many adventures and persevering later the knight meets a princess and prince when he saves them from a dragon. When the princess asks for his hand in marriage he informs her he has fallen in love with the prince
Nicole| Booklover.zzz | Zamudio-Roman
4.5 Stars

I loved the plot, the art (especially the adorable pumpkin boy, Cedric), and the sincere message the book sends! It’s cute, overall. However, there were times when the rhyming was distracting because of the amount of repetition of certain simple words (ex. too). It stood out, pulled me out of the story, and instead made me wonder why that certain word had been picked instead of another. It’s easy for children to forgive this though or even for it to go unnoticed by them, which is why I
Morgan  Skye
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Super cute!

First, I think this is fantastic that the world is beginning to have alternate reading choices for kids. Second, the art in this is gorgeous and really well done. Third, the story itself is tremendously cute!

I didn’t love the rhyming – it didn’t always flow really smoothly and that was jarring sometimes, but the overall story and message was wonderful!

I loved the idea that the boy had an idea about who he was even when he was young and that manifested for the adult. Just like real lif
Amber
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love it!

This beautifully imagined fairy tale is as sweet and clever as most kids' stories, with the traditional coming of age heroes tale of the protagonist- but with a few refreshing and unconventional twists! The knight, drawing from his roots, creates pumpkin armor when he's forced to discard his usual. He defeats a dragon using intelligent and ingenious strategy, and without violence. And finally, he makes friends with, and then finds love with, the prince! I adore this sweet tale and hope
Paul Decker
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I received this book as an eARC from Schiffer Publishing via Edelweiss. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

It is so great to see a children's picture book with these themes. This is a simple story, but such a great message. A young boy with pumpkin armor grows up to be a squire. Then a knight. Then conquers a dragon. And finds true love. It is all so adorable. The pumpkin imagery throughout the story is also great.

I give this boo
Brian Matthews
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable read with a lovely message that left me in tears by the end. The illustrations in this book are cute and perfectly convey the emotions of the character. Not only does this story have an important lesson about acceptance (of self and others), it also contains a quote that I think would serve many children and adults well: “often, we can find the answers back where we’ve begun.”

• Dewdrop
  • Llamas with Lemonade: An Unusual Animal ABC
  • Dolly Parton
  • Goalie Interference (Hat Trick, #2)
  • The Lazy Rabbit
  • Don't Let the Beasties Escape This Book!
  • A Plan for Pops