Start by marking “The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived” as Want to Read:
The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived

The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived

Knights, dragons, and princesses are the things all good fairytales are made of, but what happens when the tale has an LGBTQ ending? Follow Cedric on his journey from his days on a humble pumpkin farm to the adventures that lead him to become a full-fledged knight. Once a knight, discover how he uses his cleverness and courage to vanquish a fire-breathing dragon and rescue ...more
Published April 28th 2019 by Schiffer Publishing (first published March 21st 2014)

⚔ Silvia ⚓
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pride-recs, childrens
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via Edelweiss for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

Why am I reading children's books on my Saturday night? Well because they're gay and I've deluded myself into thinking that I have an online presence and therefore I should spread the word about all kinds of queer books. And maybe someone reading this is a parent of a small kid and would like more recommendations like this, so here I am.

(Also I never had books like this
Meep
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet little fairytale written for young children about a little boy's adventures. There's a gentle rhyme and humour to it and it made me smile.
I like how this story ends, sometimes it's not about the pretty, pretty princess and every child deserves the right to dream.

It's illustrated and narrated, a short video I recommend even to those who don't have kids ;) - available free here click here for video go watch it!
Adam
And Cedric knew, "My fairy tale...this is how it ends."

Sometimes all you really need is a children's book with pretty pictures and rhyming words.

Cedric loves two things - pumpkins and playing at being a knight. Maybe one day he'll get to be the real thing.

But he knows one thing for sure - a princess isn't where his story will lead.

The storybook follows Cedric as he becomes a real knight, and then saves his prince. From a ferocious fire-breathing dragon, of course.

I was thoroughly entertained f
Richard Cardenas
Watched the short on Hulu. Such an amazing children's story.
Steff Pasciuti
In so many ways, I found The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived by Daniel Errico and Illustrated by Shiloh Penfield to be one of the best children’s books I have ever read. I feel truly grateful to live in a time where a book like this has been published and frankly a little disgusted that it’s only now that this is becoming somewhat more common. The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived is a Story about a Knight who saves and falls in love with a Prince. And I loved every second of reading it.

The story begi
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Schiffer Publishing Ltd and Daniel Errico for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

"No one should be punished for being themselves. No one should be treated unfairly because of whom they love."

4 stars.

This is not your standard Knight story. The knight doesn't slay the dragon and then marry the Princess. No, that is not how this story goes. Yeah there is a dragon (Yay!) and yes there is a Prince and Princess that are saved, but it's not the Princess tha
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you very much to Schiffer Kids for providing a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Awww this was adorable! I've never read a queer kids book before -- and I definitely never read one when I myself was a kid -- and I'm glad this one was the first, and that children have these kinds of books today, because they're so important.

The book is short -- it's a children's novel -- and follows a young boy on his quest to becoming a knight. He eventually rescues a prince and his sist
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Simone
Shelves: picture-books

This adorable, pumpkin-armored knight will make you smile for sure!

“Once upon a time, inside a kingdom like your own,
There lived a knight named Cedric, the bravest ever known.”

The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived is a fairy tale full of the classics—castles, knights, and dragons. But we also get a new take on the happily ever after. Does Cedric slay the dragon and find his prince? YES!, I said prince! :) This ending is definitely needed on fairy tale shelves everywhere.

Cedric is our hero. A lad we
- ̗̀ amy ̖́-
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

this was so adorable! i wish i had a child in my life to read this to because i feel like it’s so important to normalise things especially for kiddos 🥺
Sarah Peterman
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
What little kid (as in still a toddler) cares about marriage, is the main question I have about this book. I liked it all in all, just why about the marriage? And I would have asked this if it was a man and a woman, or a woman and woman. Just reading to my four year old, and it felt odd to be talking about marriage at all, which my kid couldn't care less about. But the dragon was cool, and we both agreed we wouldn't want to feed a dragon, even if it only wanted to eat pumpkins.
whataslacker
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great picture book that teaches us all how to be true ourselves. As I read the story I realized I had seen this before (on Hulu as a short). Glad to see it in print again in a lovely edition too.
Char (lunarchar_)
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, owned-read
(ARC|GIFTED|NETGALLEY) this was instantly a winner for me as I adore children’s books that rhyme! So cute and the illustrations were wonderful.
Donna Maguire
This was such a lovely story! I thought that the images were lovely, the story had a lovely flow to it and some excellent characters too. It is 5 stars from me, it was well written and I loved the ending – very highly recommended!!
Bookish Devil
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read countless fairytales in my life but never something like this. It follows the story of how Cedric, a poor and an honest pumpkin farmer who went on to become a distinguished knight. The story was narrated in a poetic manner with a lovely rhyme scheme. The illustrations complemented the narration well and made it even more enjoyable to read. The LGBTQ touch at the end was magnificent and quite unexpected. It brought a wide smile on my face. Hands down to Daniel Errico for selecting such ...more
Bridget
I technically watched the video for this, but I'm counting it anyway.
Ren HappilyBuriedInBooks
Jul 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived flips inclusion 40 pages in the right direction. The focus of this archetypal or paradigmatic traditional tale is not differentiation or discrimination. Instead of fighting bigotry, Cedric heroically fights a dragon, and bravely requests the fairy tale ending he has in mind for himself.

Cedric is a solid protagonist in his own right: friendly, adventurous, brave, humble, and a quick thinker. There isn’t just one label that makes Cedric the person he is. Through
Theediscerning
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book, but certainly not the one I was expecting. A humble pumpkin farmer's son flukes his way into the knighthood, and has a successful mission. The beginning of the lad's story is fine, then (if a little too much of the length of the book), and the middle equally decent (if short) – the whole thing hinges around what he wants his story's ending to be. Cue bible belt America burning copies of it (or deleting it at such a high speed it hardly touches their recycle bin), as we suddenly lear ...more
Alex
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This picture book has beautiful, engaging illustrations and is told in rhyming couplets. It moves along at a good pace but manages to fit a lot of background in at the same time. It builds up from Cedric as a young boy playing on the farm to the feat of bravery that earns him an apprenticeship with a knight to his own knighting and his first solo quest as an adult.

On that quest, he comes across a brother and sister – prince and princess – trapped in a castle guarded by a fearsome dragon. Cedric
Lara Lillibridge
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable little rhyming story about a knight who saves the day and lives happily ever after, except with a prince, not a princess. I'm not partial to rhyming stories, but this one flowed very nicely and wasn't forced. I feel like a lot of well-written picture books have only mediocre artwork, but Shiloh Penfield's illustrations are colorful and endearing. I think when the common narrative of children's books are heteronormative, it doesn't allow children to see other possibilities, an ...more
Leah Horton
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay. So first off I didn’t begin reading this book intending to cry or have any feeling beyond “awe what a cute children’s book”, but this book was fantastic and I had all of the feels by the end.

An adorably illustrated book about a little boy who follows his dreams to become a knight. Many adventures and persevering later the knight meets a princess and prince when he saves them from a dragon. When the princess asks for his hand in marriage he informs her he has fallen in love with the prince
Nicole Zamudio-Roman
4.5 Stars

I loved the plot, the art (especially the adorable pumpkin boy, Cedric), and the sincere message the book sends! It’s cute, overall. However, there were times when the rhyming was distracting because of the amount of repetition of certain simple words (ex. too). It stood out, pulled me out of the story, and instead made me wonder why that certain word had been picked instead of another. It’s easy for children to forgive this though or even for it to go unnoticed by them, which is why I
Amber
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love it!

This beautifully imagined fairy tale is as sweet and clever as most kids' stories, with the traditional coming of age heroes tale of the protagonist- but with a few refreshing and unconventional twists! The knight, drawing from his roots, creates pumpkin armor when he's forced to discard his usual. He defeats a dragon using intelligent and ingenious strategy, and without violence. And finally, he makes friends with, and then finds love with, the prince! I adore this sweet tale and hope
Brian Matthews
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable read with a lovely message that left me in tears by the end. The illustrations in this book are cute and perfectly convey the emotions of the character. Not only does this story have an important lesson about acceptance (of self and others), it also contains a quote that I think would serve many children and adults well: “often, we can find the answers back where we’ve begun.”
Lacy
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Children's fairytale that takes all the traditional fairytale tropes and turns them upside down. With the running theme of pumpkins and rhyming, this would be a perfect story to read in the Fall. The rainbow on the last page was also a perfect touch. We need more love is love fairytales specifically for children! 🌈📚💕👏

***Thanks to Netgalley and Schiffer Publishing Ltd for providing me with a review copy.***
MischeefManagedBookstagram
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely adorable - a tale of a simple farmer becoming a knight, with an ending that shows it isn't always about marrying a princess!

I am always looking for books like this to use as part of my Castles and Knights curriculum and this is absolutely ideal. It has beautiful illustrations, a simple rhyming story and themes that fit right into the 21st Century classroom.

Thank you, Daniel Errico - I will definitely be using this book! I loved it.
em
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from Netgalley for review. All opinions stated are my own.

this story was adorable from beginning to end. i adored the illustrations featured in this edition; i can only imagine how beautiful they are in the physical. obviously the fact that this is a queer story makes it even better. i squealed when i read the passage with the king "his son was meant to find his knight'. my heart melted into mush instantly. our stories need to be told & more importantly normaliz
Daniel
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, this picture book made my heart sing. Not only does it teach kids that is is perfectly ok to love who you love, but it also shows that you can become anything you want even if you're from humble beginnings. This book is going to do great things for children and their self-esteem. I am beyond grateful to the publisher for sending me a copy to review. I can't wait to get it in my branch of Waterstones and read this one for storytime.
Rory
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for giving me a free digital copy of this book in return for my honest review.

This book was extremely cute. I was smiling by the end of it. I'm glad that children's stories like these are being made. I thought that the watercolor-style illustrations were especially nice.
Veronica
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
ARC via Netgalley. Cute LGBTQ-friendly fairy tale picture book about a knight who rescues a prince and princess from a dragon and chooses to marry the prince when they all get home. The art is adorable; the words are in a sort of sing-song verse and some of the rhymes are a little forced, but I think it should work for a read-aloud. About two lines of text per page.
Danielle Chambers
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
Super cute book. Art was beautiful and the story was great!