Start by marking “Orange World and Other Stories” as Want to Read:

Orange World and Other Stories

From the Pulitzer Finalist and universally beloved author of the New York Times best sellers Swamplandia! and Vampires in the Lemon Grove, a stunning new collection of short fiction that showcases Karen Russell's extraordinary, irresistible gifts of language and imagination.

Karen Russell's comedic genius and mesmerizing talent for creating outlandish predicaments that unca
Expected publication: May 14th 2019 by Knopf Publishing Group

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 14, 2019
    From the Pulitzer finalist and universally beloved author of the New York Times best sellers Swamplandia! and Vampires in the Lemon Grove, a stunning ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 1379 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 14 - May 13, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Orange World and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orange World and Other Stories

Melki
    Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: horror, short-fiction
    “O.K.,” Yvette says, breathing loudly through her nose. “That’s O.K. Weaning is a process.”

A group of lactating mothers work together to defeat a very hungry demon. Sounds bizarre, I know, but I found it to be quite a mesmerizing read.

Bet the La Leche League never had to deal with this situation.

Read it for yourself - https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...
    Tony
    Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Interesting enough little tale but really suffers for being too little. Well written but ultimately goes nowhere - or jumps off before the final destination. This would make a decent book though!

It's free; follow the link on the page...
    Oleksandr Zholud
    This is a fantasy/supernatural/magic realism short story about a new mother and her fears. It can be nominated for this year Hugo.

This is a story of a woman, who while not exactly young is the first time mother. She is afraid to lose her child and has a deal with a devil to protect the child. She is not the only one. After the birth, the devil demand a daily breast-feeding, exhausting the mother.

It can be seen as an allusion of post-partum depression or more general, a fear that anything can hur
    Andrew
    Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fiction
    I have no idea how Russell comes up with these mystical and bizarre stories, but I'm glad that she does. "The Bad Graft" is the story of a Joshua Tree's spirit invading a woman's body that I can't stop thinking about; then there's "The Gondoliers", with gorgeous description of the eerily-real future of Florida, somewhat abandoned after an environmental catastrophe; and the short but bittersweet life of a dog in "Madame Bovary's Greyhound". This collection is altogether enchanting with a light se ...more
    Delany Holcomb
    Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Karen Russell has done it again! She has brilliantly crafted this cocktail of stories that enchant and move the reader in only the way Russell knows how. For fans of "Vampires in the Lemon Grove", "Orange World" is the collection of tales you've been searching for to satiate your appetite. Each story feels like an episode of the Twilight Zone with genuine heart and feeling, and I am both satisfied by "Orange World" as well as left feeling hungry for more.
    Emily
    Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    ALAMW ARC. Literary weird fiction. Vampires. Ghosts. Devils. Climate Change.
    cat
    Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: read-in-2018
    I will read anything that Karen Russell writes. Magical realism + birth and breastfeeding and mothering across the ages = fantastic short story. You can read this one for free at the New Yorker site.

"The breaking is continuous—in the ouroboros of caretaking, guilt and love and fear and love continuously swallow one another."
    Silvana
    Didn't get it. At first I thought it was a story set in a collapsing world with old(er) women suddenly got pregnant and had babies. *I marked it as scifi* But then it became a horror tale with demons. *Ok, scratch that, it's horror* Yet, at the end I still did not understand the point. A real demon or manifestation of post-birth trauma? Anyway, too much body horror for my taste.
    Art
    Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: read-in-2019
    Wildly imaginative and wonderfully written.
    Eva
    Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: post-junior
    i love Karen Russell forever, she does the best kind of magical realism.
    Konstantin
    Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: short-stories
    [rating = C-]
    I don't know why I continue to try my luck with Karen Russell. It just seems that she disappoints either with her subject matter, her style, or her lack of conviction. This story was basically about a woman with a newborn child but also with a newborn demon that is trying to gorge off her. Russell tries to make the fantastic realistic by addition of a "humorous" support-group for women with like incidences. I am not convinced. Some might say, Well perhaps she's really writing an all
    Katie
    Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I really like Karen Russell's writing and was delighted to hear that she has another collection coming out soon. She conjures fantastic monsters and places them within worlds of semi-reality to see how things can turn out.
    In this collection, a couple of girls go to a fancy party at the top of the mountain to find out that they went to a very different party than the one they had anticipated, a couple's trip to Joshua Tree National Park gets weird when the spirit of one of the trees possesses th
    Anisa Jackson

I'm incredibly grateful to the publisher for sending me a copy of this book.

This collection of short stories is surreal like Russell's other short story collections. However, the writing in this collection didn't live up to the high expectations I developed for Russell's work after reading Vampires in the Lemon Grove: And Other Stories. That collection of short stories is absolutely amazing, and I highly recommend reading it.

Cat M
    Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: sf-f, short-fiction
    A master-class in maternal anxiety, and in all the things the world tells new and expecting mothers to be afraid of. But also a story about strength and community support.

If discussion of/fear of injury and death of small children is a hard no for you, definitely skip this story. But as someone who has anxiety and who has gotten a lot of the fear-mongering without ever succeeding at getting pregnant, I found this weirdly comforting.
    Portia Kapraun
    Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Karen Russell is a master short story writer, and Orange World really shows her at the top of her game. Each story, whether it's a boy falling in love with a 2000-year-old mummy (Bog Girl: a romance) or a man obsessed with growing tornadoes (The Tornado Auction), each story is beautifully crafted with just the right amount of strangeness and wonder. For fans of Kevin Wilson and Joshua Ferris.
    Deb
    Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Completely bizarre short story of a new mother being ... terrorized? Co-opted? Manipulated? By a demon that feeds off her breast milk. Is the demon real? Imagined? Hard to say. Well-written and startling, I can’t say I wanted to read it. But I couldn’t stop reading, and now I have. Featured in the June 4 & 11 2018 New Yorker.
    Lillian
    Karen Russell's short stories pulsate with vibrancy. With stunning, fluid prose she creates wildly imaginative worlds and stories strangely reminiscent to those of our own fears. She is truly a master of the short story form and I look forward, always to reading her new ones.

Do check out ORANGE WORLD. You won't be disappointed.
    Sarah Yung
    Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    So many finely crafted sentences! So many jewel-like concepts! Karen Russell's imagination is as intricate and expansive as ever in her latest collection of short stories, though I'll confess her denouements could still stand to be a bit more satisfying in more than one of these selections.
    Jamie de Jong
    Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    important!!
    Lara Brewer
    Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Completely bizarre but somehow compelling
    Kate
    Amazing story.
    John Morgan
    Jun 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Present tense, yuck. Dull as dishwater, double yuck. Murky plot, triple yuck. Gave up after two pages, not worth it.
    Sk
    Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Of fear & paranoia (and mom group support network)
    Lauren Chamberlin
    • Exhalation: Stories
    • A Perfect Universe: Ten Stories
    • A Cathedral of Myth and Bone
    • Double Dutch
    • Fairy Tales for the Disillusioned: Enchanted Stories from the French Decadent Tradition
    • Mostly Dead Things
    • Cockfosters
    • The Redemption of Galen Pike
    • Voices in the Night: Stories
    • Sing to It: New Stories
    Karen Russell graduated from Columbia University's MFA program in 2006. Her stories have been featured in The Best American Short Stories, Conjunctions, Granta, The New Yorker, Oxford American, and Zoetrope. Her first book of short stories, St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves, was published in September 2006. In November 2009, she was named a National Book Foundation "5 Under 35" honoree. I ...more
    “March 1. DEAR BABY: I like the way you turn in half circles on the mattress, like a senile clock.” 0 likes
    “...a definite hostility to being looked at, like a vampire or a vacationing Olsen” 0 likes