Start by marking “This Beach Is Loud!” as Want to Read:
This Beach Is Loud!

This Beach Is Loud!

Patience, understanding, and a soothing exercise saves the beach day when excitement turns to sensory overload.

Going to the beach is exciting. But it can also be busy. And loud. Sand can feel hot or itchy or sticky...and it gets everywhere! In This Beach Is Loud!, a sensitive boy gets overwhelmed by all the sights, sounds, and sensations at the beach. Luckily, this kiddo's
Published June 18th 2019 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about This Beach Is Loud!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Beach Is Loud!

Start your review of This Beach Is Loud!
Hannah Greendale
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Father and son head to the beach, but there are lots of people there making noise, noise, NOISE! This is a wonderful book for kids who get overstimulated or anxious from external input.

Inventive illustrations, diverse families depicted in the background, and a helpful tip for calming down in a disruptive environment.
Take a deep breath and give Sharkie a squeeze. Now tap your fingers and count to three . . .

You've got this.
1-2-3 tap . . .
1-2-3 tap . . .

1-2-3- tap . . .
1-2-3- tap . . .

You did
Allie
I love this. I subbed for a story time today and I did a beach/swimming theme and I grabbed this one off the shelf and added it to my repertoire. The story is about a kid experiencing sensory overload during a trip to the beach, but the text is very simple and accessible. It's an easy added dimension to help kids with their summer beach experience. The illustrations are cute and the text integrates really beautifully with the pictures. Definitely a good book to use if there are neurodiverse ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little boy has been eager to head to the beach for a long time, but when he actually arrives he discovers that it is loud and uncomfortable. But his dad reminds him of his coping techniques and the boy puts them into action. It's a helpful book for kids learning to handle sensory overload.
Jason
You don't see many books about kids with sensory issues. This addresses the issue itself, without getting into labels or diagnoses or anything. Nicely done.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sensory overload at the seashore.
Tasha
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little boy is so excited to be headed to the beach with his father! He even made breakfast, packed and got dressed before his father woke up. On the way to the beach, he keeps up an excited chatter. But once they get there, the beach is crowded and loud. They set up their umbrella and towel a little apart from the crowd, but it’s still too sandy and hot. The boy wants to go home, right now! But his patient father helps him breathe and count. They set up a quiet fort and take some time. Soon ...more
Amanda
Read this with Mister last night in preparation for our upcoming beach trip; recently I have noticed him covering his ears and saying, "too loud! too loud!" (which is a bit worrisome for me) to random things like lawn mowers and people talking and tv noises. I'm keeping an eye (an ear?) out for this, and I thought that this beautiful, simple book would be a great start to talking about our trip. (He has been to the beach before, though he is so little I wasn't sure if he would remember.)

We read
Kathy
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook
I can't think of another book that deals with a kid with sensory issues. I liked how it shows various coping methods (the title page even has a list of things to do the prepare, like read about beaches, play in sandbox, pick out swimsuit). Even though the sounds and textures at the beach are overwhelming, he is able to use his coping methods to have fun after all. But the best part is that the kid isn't just his issue: he talks and learns and gets very excited (and talks his dad's ear off). The ...more
Kate
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool-1st grade
The overwhelming nature of a beach outing is handled adroitly by dad when a boy wants to leave when the sounds and sensations are too much. The boy likely has sensory processing and/or is on the autism spectrum, but this could be shared with any child--we've all been overwhelmed by new situations particularly when expectations don't match reality.

Illustrations are realistic, sometimes simply showing outlines of objects. The boy's excitement is conveyed by amount of text on the page as he talks
Lynne Marie
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Nicely written, with a differently-abled MC with sensory issues.
My daughter has autism and suffers from sensory integration
disorder, so while she would identify with this book (for years
she wouldn't even put her feet down on the sand), I'm quite sure
it would be a favorite of hers as she seems to read more for enjoyment
and experience than to see herself in a book. I asked what she thought
about it and said, emphatically, NO. Perhaps it strives also to assist others
in understanding autistic
Barbra
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In these two books of the Little Senses Series; “This Beach Is Loud!” and “Nope. Never. Not for Me!” we follow the experiences of two children with Autism as they try to tackle everyday life. At first the beach seems like a great idea, but it soon turns into a scary and too busy place. With a coping mechanism from his dad the little boy begins to enjoy it. The second book is about fussy eating and how a mom manages to convince her son to give new foods a try. These would be a great addition to ...more
Laurie MacAulay
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a mom of someone with sensory sensitivity & a library programmer I really appreciate these new little senses picture books. Children like my son with a nonverbal learning disability and ADHD or those on the autism spectrum will identify. The title page includes a helpful chart about preparing for a trip to the beach and sensory overload coping strategies are peppered throughout the text and illustrations. This series will help fill a gap in quality, much needed diverse titles about ...more
Brittany Baker
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This book does an excellent job of representing the roller coaster of energy and feelings this young boy experiences on his first day at the beach. I felt like I was right there with the father as his son peppered him with questions during the car ride, and I was quite moved when he helped his son work through the overwhelming stimuli and resulting emotions from his first impressions of the beach so that they could have simple, fun beach moments together. Funny and triumphant.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
A boy is overwhelmed by all the noise at the beach. His dad helps him calm down by tapping his fingers and counting to three over and over. I like all the colorful beach imagery, and the amount of text is good for the age group. The boy's sensitivity to the beach noises made me wonder if there were some senory issues involved? I considered the beach that loud before, what with all the ocean white noise.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-1st grade
Identity: Autism

Initially excited to go, one boy experiences sensory overload at the beach. It's busy and loud and the overwhelmed boy is determined to go home. Attentive and calm, the father moves their beach gear to a quieter spot and encourages the boy to take a deep breath and tap his fingers while counting to three.

Simple text and bright illustrations make this a welcome addition for picture books about autistic children.
Kelly
Sep 07, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
Great way to show parents how many sounds kids can hear at one time and how that can be overwhelming for them. I think kids might also get something out of it - seeing how there can be lots of sounds but they can cover their ears and use strategies to help calm down and that the beach can be an okay place.
Effie
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really did like the design of this book. It's got a lot of humor and I appreciate the way it charmingly and truthfully portrays a kid who's just overwhelmed by it all and the patient calm of the dad helping him through it so he can regain his original enthusiasm for the beach trip. I'm glad this series is here!
Pauline
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This book does an excellent job of seeing the beach through the eyes of a child with sensory issues; I wish there would be some end matter that could be useful for parents/caregivers/teachers to help them understand this as well.
Sarah Garfinkel
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The writing is so good, the reader can really feel what the child is going through during the course of the journey, as well as experience the peace and joy at the end. Illustrations are marvelously clever and fun!
Peacegal
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Going to the beach is super exciting for kids...but it also can be overwhelming. This is the story of a kid who, with help from his dad, learns to control the sensory overload of the beach and have fun on his visit.
Jj
A good choice for Sensory programming; I will definitely use this in the future.

Thanks to Penguin Young Readers for the review copy.
kim
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
really well done
Syntha Green
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
So great that children might see themselves in this book.
Marcie
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am glad to see this series that will help parents and teachers meet the needs of sensory divergent learners.
Relyn
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Relyn by: Sent to me by the publisher because I am on the Missouri Show Me committee.
This is one of those books that an adult can relate to, but most kids will just yawn. No thanks.
Julia
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-kids
Mary Lee
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
How to deal with anxiety, and how to deal with an anxious toddler.
Kelly
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little boy, who is VERY excited to go to the beach with his dad, goes into sensory overload when he gets there. His father helps him deal with everything.
Tranylle
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story that can help kids find ways to cope with sensory overload or scary situations.
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was really fun for me because it reminded me so much of my son. The book is cute and funny and I really enjoyed reading it.

• Hair Love
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Lubna and Pebble
  • Spencer's New Pet
  • Hum and Swish
  • Goodbye, Friend! Hello, Friend!
  • Puppy Truck