Start by marking “Beauty is the Beast (Beasts Among Us - Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Beauty is the Beast (Beasts Among Us - Book 1)

Beauty is the Beast

(Beasts Among Us #1)

Gretchen is a 24-year-old-hairstylist with secrets: She likes to chase squirrels and howl at the moon. Shes also not really 24.

When one of her coworkers turns up dead in the salon, she suspects that the murderer isnt entirely human. When another stylist is murdered, and then another, she goes on the prowl. A circus with a secret side show catches her attention, as does her
Published October 24th 2018 by Jennifer Zamboni

To ask other readers questions about Beauty is the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty is the Beast

Start your review of Beauty is the Beast (Beasts Among Us - Book 1)
Carvanz
Gretchen and her friends are at the center of the first of a series of murders that target hairdressers. With a pack of wolves visiting the area and a freaky circus having just set up outside town, there are a lot of suspects. To be honest, I never had one clue who the villain was.

This is quite an unusual shifter, vampire, paranormal story that has just a touch of romance in it. There is a ton of shifting as the heroine is a werewolf. Her roommates are a vampire and Persephone, the wife of
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)
"I hoped to enjoy this one, but to no avail. I kept reading hoping it would get better but there was no change. I enjoyed the world building but the story felt all over the place and as a result I never had a connection."

Beauty is the Beast did not deliver as I expected. There were interesting moments, but then there were times when I felt like giving upon this one. However, I persevered to the end and made a few interesting discoveries.

Based on the title, one may perceive that the story is a
Coco.V
Jan 26, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (1/26/2020)! 🎁
Jennifer Reynolds
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This did not end how I expected it too. I'm looking forward to book two. :) :)
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book! I can not wait for the sequel I hope it is soon! Very well written and very well laid out! A fun and quick read for anyone who likes vampires and werewolves! Plus well, it's a murder mystery and most of those you can guess the kill, I definitely did not guess this one!
Looking forward to books 2 and 3!
Shelly Wygant
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I love paranormal reads and this one had good characters. There was the Fae, Werewolf, and Vampires. Someone is killing off hairdressers and Gretchen, Percy and Lacey-Marie are worried. The story does keep you guessing on who the murder is.

Good points
- Interesting characters
- Twist of who the murderer is
- Interesting secondary characters
- Loved the characters in the circus

What I did not like
- The story did drag. There was many points that did not add to the story.
- Would have liked to know more
Jennifer Zamboni
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
In my humble, completely biased opinion, this book is amazing! I can't wait for people to download it onto their Kindles on October 24th!

Werewolves, and vampires, and fae, oh my! Hairdressers and a serial killer. Badass women and music. Not convinced yet? Why not?

Dive in and explore what if!
Ramona Harris
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three ladies live in a house that has a salon in it and their hairdressers. They are Gretchen who is a werewolf, Percy who is a goddess, and Lacey-Marie who is a vampire the house is owned by Percy the salon is owned by all three of them. Penny a girl who works for them is found dead by Gretchen in the salon with blood all over the place. They ship the salon for a day and open up the next day. Within a week another hairdresser is killed, then another one is killed, and another one is killed. ...more
Scarolet Ellis
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beauty is the Beast by Jennifer Zamboni is a wonderful story to read. This is the first time to ever read anything from this author and I just fell in love with this story and author. Jennifer Zamboni is now one of my favorite authors and I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about wolf shifters.

Natalie
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great paranormal mystery!

A wonderful paranormal book full of werewolves, vampires, Gods and more!

Life is going pretty good for our main three characters working at a salon in Maine, while keeping what they truly area secret from the local populace. Thar is until a serial killer starts attacking hairdressers in their area, and turns things upside down.

Each character was uniquely written with their own personalities that vibed well with each other. I liked the fact that our paranormal friends
Sandie Will
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the relationships between the characters and the love story. The mixture of vampires, faes, and werewolves kept me intrigued. I definitely plan on reading the second book. I have to see what happens!
Evangeline Luguna
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow

That ending was cruel!! Like how could it end just like that!! Like does Gretchen get her HEA with Doug! What happens to her now ex bff! So much I need answers to great book btw
Jackie
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gretchen is a hair stylist and supposedly 24yrs old. Is that really the truth? Theres suspense and murder by something that isnt human. Awesome. ...more
J&R
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the universe building in this book. The author lays out a wide foundation for future stories! I really liked the main character, and I was hoping for a bit more depth into her story.
Lacy Mercado
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I love the story. Great story line. I can't wait to read more from this author
Alison Davis
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and entertaining book about werewolf hairdressers, vampires, the circus and a serial killer. Throw in there some mystery and suspense and what more could you ask for from a paranormal book? This was a fast paced read and will keep you invested from the very first page. Great debut novel! Can't wait to see what happens next.
Samantha Waldow
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun and fast paranormal story. Gretchen works at a salonas as hair dresser. She also works with Lacey Marie and Percy. What people don't know is Gretchen is a werewolf, Lacey Marie is a vampire and Perxy is fae who is married to a god. Things are going great till one of there friends is murdered then more murders are happening. Gretchens old pack cames looking for her and want her back. The characters are great and you get sucked in. Cant wait for book 2
Wendy
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gretchen, Lacey Marie and Percy are all hairdressers and own a salon together. The thing that makes them different is that none of them are human. Gretchen is a werewolf, Lacey Marie is a vampire and Percy is the fae wife of Hades. Hairdressers are turning up dead, a circus with a secret freak show comes to town, the pack suddenly wants Gretchen and Lacey Marie's "father" all turn up within a short time.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I didn't do any reading about it before jumping
Lila Ford
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gretchen is the heroine of this story and she is a hairdresser who is also a werewolf. She along with her friends run a salon. When one of her friends is killed she goes on the hunt for who or what killed her. She keeps her wolf in check with her music and is in a band. She has a lot going on and she has an added problem with her old pack back and wanting her to come home to them.

Great job keeping attention on the storyline and can't wait for book 2 .
Sue MacKenzie
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW
This story was spellbinding, I found it hard to put down.
The author chose an interesting collection of supernaturals and they worked really well together.
Usually I am not a big fan of urban fantasy but I found it hard to put this book down right from the beginning.
Awesome story.

Mrs K Bartholomew
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A 3.5

A vampire, a Greek Goddess and a werewolf run a beauty salon. No it's not the start of joke but the start of a quirky interesting book. There is drama, murders, a circus oh and a visit from Hades. Without giving too much away I will say it's an enjoyable read and interesting concept. If you are looking for something a bit different then this could be the book for you.
Neisha Exeter
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read. This book is not my usual cup of tea however I must admit it was a fantastic book and I am looking forward to book 2. I was amazed that these three paranormal creatures could live together, work together and be great friends all at the same time. Definitely recommended.
Thea Butler
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting mixture of the supernatural and a murder mystery. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Lynall
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story. A wolf, a vampire and a goddess are hairstylists and own a salon. It all works well until someone starts killing beauticians. This is one of the most imaginative and quirky stories I have read in a long time It is engaging and exciting, and I couldnt put it down. Hades is fabulous, too. This book is definitely a keeper. ...more
Chantel
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beauty is the Beast is a fast paced read, full of drama and action that will leave you wanting more. I so can not wait for book 2. I received a free copy of this book.
Lori Caprio Tate
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book two can't come quick enough for me. Who can pass up a book that has hairdressing werewolves and vampires. A heart racing murder mystery that has you on the edge of your seat and an ending that you weren't expecting with the anticipation of the next book. Well this book definitely had all that and more. Well done!
S.K. Wee
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gretchen is not only a hairdresser but is also in a band where she plays the violin. Her bandmates dont know all her secrets though because every full moon Gretch locks herself into a cage while she embraces her beasta werewolf. Along with Gretchen we meet her salon coworkers, a vampire and a mythical goddess. They live and work inside a mansion in a sparsely populated area of Maine. It seems a very routine sort of existence until hairdressers throughout the area are murdered. Not much is being ...more
Lisa Marie Barrera
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW! WHAT DID I JUST FINISHED READING?! Werewolves, Goddess/Fae and Vampires...What a Combo!! BEAUTY IS THE BEAST by Jennifer Zamboni had me Intrigued from the Very Beginning of the Book and never a Dull moment page after page!!
Once I started reading, I devoured this book in ONE Sitting since there is So much Adventure and Different Unique TWISTS and TURNS INTO the UNKNOWN!! It was such Suspenseful thriller of Epic proportions and just when you Think you figured it Out....BOOM!! NOPE!! TOTALLY
Tracy Trixy
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, Wolfy stories I love but this book for me, didnt deliver...
I struggled through the pages and often had to skip pages to wade through.

It starts out with us getting to know Gretchen, whos 24 *coughcough* and is a werewolf, sharing her life with 3 friends, all in the same business, and all who have been together for many years. This is pretty much all I read, its all about Gretchens character development, throwing in different characters, and a circus, and then
Katherine Ingram
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good

I enjoyed this! I would recommend to anyone who enjoys urban fantasy. Different takes on well known legends. try it!

• Butterfly Ops (Butterfly Ops Trilogy #1)
  • Master of Sin
  • Butterfly Ops: Book 2 (Butterfly Ops Trilogy, #2)
  • Only Me: A Surprisingly Safe Book
  • Master of Games (Gods of Vegas Book 2)
  • Midnight with the Devil (Unlikely Heroes #1)
  • Butterfly Ops: Book 3 (Butterfly Ops Trilogy, #3)
  • Beltane Bliss (Pagan Pleasures Bk 1)
  • Reaper (Death Row Shooters MC #1)
  • Man Fast (Bergen Brothers, #1)
  • The Broken Sister (Sister, #6)
  • Juniper Smoke (Smoke Series, #1)
  • A Fierce Princess (The Poisoned Pawn Duet, #1)
  • The Years After (Sister, #5)
  • The Lost Sister (Sister, #8)
  • Stolen Nights (Stolen, #1)
  • One Night With A Witch (Keepers of the Veil #5)
  • The Perfect Sister (Sister, #7)
Jen loves books. Reading them, writing them, reviewing them, and collecting them. (She claims its not hoarding) Urban fantasy is the name of her game, and being a mom is her day job. She also is a licensed cosmetologist, though she no longer works in a salon. She lives in the boondocks of Maine with her husband, 2 girls, 2 dogs, 3 cats, and 1 vocally insistent cockatiel. ...more

News & Interviews