Start by marking “Murder on a Winter Afternoon” as Want to Read:
Murder on a Winter Afternoon

Murder on a Winter Afternoon

(Melissa Craig #5)

A snow-covered cottage is nestled in the hills, all ready for Christmas… but inside a body lies dead upon the floor.

Melissa Craig is enjoying her first winter in the Cotswolds, taking brisk walks through the snowy fields and basking in the winter sunshine. The only thing Melissa is plotting is her Christmas shopping.

But after the unexpected death of local writer Leonora
Published December 18th 2018 by Bookouture (first published December 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Murder on a Winter Afternoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on a Winter Afternoon

Lel Budge
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
MY REVIEW

This is number 5 in fifth Betty Rowlands series of books featuring her heroine, the author, Melissa Craig. This is again set in the Cotswolds, during a snowy winter.

Her vegetarian neighbour and friend, Iris is also part of this story and the usual Police and press characters and her ever faithful agent.

This is a nice, gentle tale with lovely descriptive walks in the snowy countryside along with a search for clues and suspects in the nasty death of a fellow author, Leonora Jewell. The m
Judy Lesley
Originally published in 1996 as Malice Poetic, this reissue is now titled Murder in the Orchard. I have not read any other novels by Betty Rowlands so this was my first time checking out what could become a new reliable series for me. The victim in this story was certainly written to be a prime candidate for murder and Melissa Craig is a character who picks up on atmosphere and clues quickly to guide the reader along the right path to solving the mystery. I enjoyed the story but it does suffer s ...more
Marina
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Today I am reviewing #5 of Betty Rowlands’cozy mysteries, Murder on a Winter Afternoon. Remember Melissa Craig, the cozy mysteries writer who solves real murders too? Well, guess what! She can’t stay out of a murder even if she wants to.

This time, Melissa is hired to finish a mystery novel started by another writer who recently passed away. The lady writer Leonora Jewell was old and everyone assumed that she died of natural causes. But, Melissa, in order to finish the book, visits Leonora’s hous
Els
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There a different kinds of crime genres. I really like the psychological and the police procedural ones, but every once in a while I can find myself immersed in a cozy mystery.

This is the 5th book in the series and I have read and enjoyed them all. Melissa, the main character, tries desparately to stay out of trouble, like she always does but never succeeds in. Somehow she can't help herself. She wants to solve the case but this time she needs someone to confide in. No one is better suited for t
Julie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-pile, giveaways
Another mystery solved by the crime-loving fictitious author Melissa Craig. Betty Rowland’s’ feisty heroine prevails again in her 5th book in the series and Mel’s adventures continue. This time Mel is asked to finish another author’s final novel after her untimely death during a burglary gone wrong. As she becomes more embroiled in writing the mystery she discovers similar criminal activity happening on her very doorstep. #NetGalley
Sharon
I’ve had a bit of a binge session reading these books, so I’ll do my reviews all on my post! They are fabulous books to pick up and put down when you have five minutes here and there. The books are all part of the Melissa Craig series, but they can be read as standalone books with no problems at all. They also have all been released under different titles in the past, but the book fairy has come along and brought them right up to date with new covers and titles! They are delightful in the way th ...more
Carol Evans
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Keeping with my wintery reading theme, next up is Murder on a Winter Afternoon by Betty Rowlands. It’s also a Christmas read, kind of, since it takes place at that time of the year and two of the characters do help with the script and scenery for a Christmas show, even if it’s only mentioned once or twice. This is the 5th (or 7th depending on how you count) in the series starring Melissa Craig, but the first I’ve read and I though it worked quite well on its own.

Melissa is an author and she’s be
Kelly-Jo Sweeney
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
These Mel Craig Mysteries just get better and better, I don't know if it's because I know the character a little better with each one. This book has, like the last one, a bit of an art theme going on. It's a bit of a different situation to in the previous book, but is interesting and works well all the same.
You might expect that by the third book, Mel might have been a bit more on the ball with this mystery. Mel is a mystery novelist herself, which is part of the reason that she gets involved in
Jennifer Ritter
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it

Murder on a Winter Afternoon is the fifth book in Betty Rowland’s Melissa Craig Mystery series. This story is set in the village of Upper Benbury in the Cotswold Hills. Author Melissa Craig has pretty much isolated herself to her Hawthorn Cottage except for the occasional walks with her neighbor at Elder Cottage, artist iris Ash. She has finally finished her rewrites and has sent it to her agent, Joe Martin, breathing a sigh of relief and looking forward to a relaxing Christmas.

But when Joe cal
Cozy Cat Reviews
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Murder on a Winter Afternoon is the fifth book in Betty Rowland’s wonderful Melissa Craig Mystery series. This story is set in the village of Upper Benbury in the Cotswold Hills. I particularly enjoy cozy mysteries in the Cotswold's and this never disappoints . i enjoy the entire series and do highly recommend it for all that enjoy mysteries.. This is such a well crafted mystery with multi layers and a excellent plot sequence.

Author Melissa Craig has isolated herself to her Hawthorn Cottage to
Tracy Wood
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the sixth book in the Melissa Craig series of books by Betty Rowland and once again it is just right for an evening or two curled up with a good murder!

This time Melissa is feeling a bit put upon and craves peace and quiet to finish writing her current novel. Of course she finds nothing of the sort when she arrives at a writers retreat a short drive from her home. The story has more levels than the first few books along with the welcome familiarity of the main characters and a few more
Tracy Wood
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this fifth instalment of Betty Rowlands series of books featuring her heroine, Melissa Craig, the action is once again set in the Cotswolds, this time as the cold sometime snowy weather is prevalent. All the main characters from the previous stories are here, helping or hindering the investigation and trying, usually unsuccessfully, to keep Melissa out of trouble.

As always this is a gentle slow burning story in which the hunt for clues and suspects is interspersed with morning walks, the wee
Jane Hunt
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it

Winter always seems to enhance the attractiveness of murder mysteries, especially typically English ones like the Melissa Craig series. This is a particularly atmospheric story both in terms of snow and frost and the air of menace that follows the intrepid crime writer around as she becomes embroiled in another murder mystery.

This story sees the reappearance of Bruce, from earlier books in the series and he definitely brings out Mel's impulsive personality traits. There is a lot going on in the
Karina
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Melissa Craig,a successful crime novelist, is asked to finish the late Leonora Jewell her final book. Leonora died rather unexpectedly after a nasty fall in her cottage. As Melissa is trying to get as much information as she can in order to accomplish her task successfully, she encounters some discrepancies in different stories ,some things that do not match and all of a sudden poor Leonora's death is perhaps not so straightforward after all...
This is a blend between a cozy/cosy read and a typi
Anna Fox
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another good read in the Melissa Craig series. Some building upon prior books - mainly relationships - so the books don't need to be read in order. This author does a fantastic job with the details of the scenery, so you really feel like you are there. The mystery is interesting, although this time I was able to figure out who-done-it. Probably reading too many of the books back to back having just found this author. I like the character of Melissa, and the Detective.

I thank the publisher &
Gail Gassen
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic read!

A great mystery that is quite twisted involving so many different leads and bad people! Also very sad at the lives taken in the name of greed! Of course it is only a book, right? Wrongl!! These are characters that have been brought to life by a wonderful author who breathes life into them. I know you'll enjoy another wonderful mystery, and a blossoming romance that will hopefully turn into more! I'm really happy that our heroine & DCI Harris have finally gotten together
Annarella
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The more I read this series the better it becomes. This is the fifth instalment I read and it was amazing.
I love to see the evolution in the character and each time is like to meet again some old friends.
This book is fun to read, engaging and entertaining.
I loved the plot that kept me guessing till the end and I wasn't able to stop reading.
I'm happy there's a new book to review so it won't be long before I go back to reading about Melissa and her friends.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to Bookout
Erica
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I throughouly enjoy reading Betty Rowlands' work. Nothing is better than ending my stressful work day with Melissa Craig.

Wonderfully engaging plot, rich with lush descriptions and well-rounded characters.

Murder on a Winter Afternoon, full of novel twists, began when Melissa took an interesting assignment. From there, the story masterfully unfolds.

Highly recommended for cozy mystery fans who love in all things British and fancy a witty female sleuth.
Jordan DownSonderLane
3/5 because I guessed the killer early on which is always kind of a bummer. I did second guess myself a couple of times but in the end, I knew it had to be my pick. The plot was also similar to the last plot, which I thought was odd. Maybe the idea came to the writer while writing the last book? Anyway, this series is fun and I still enjoyed it and can’t wait for more of her stuff to be released on audio.
Marianne
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for an ARC, much appreciated and all comments are my own.
I really look forward to each new addition in this series. I agree with the many other opinions that the series just gets better and better. The books have an authentic feel and Mel, Iris, and all the other characters are very true to life. Any title in this series will be perfect to spend an enjoyable afternoon or evening with. Highly recommend.
Leyla Johnson
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Betty Rowlands just goes on giving with this new Melissa Craig mystery, with a murder, a little romance and some spills and thrills this book is a very enjoyable cozy read. Mind you this isn't a run of the mill cozy but one with substance and a good plot and storyline.
Enjoyed it very much
Gea
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-com
This is the first book I have read in this series, but will go back and read the first 4 entries to get more of the background. The series features a great setting and Melissa and her neigbour Iris are great characters. A great cozy mystery series!
I do enjoy this series, but Melissa Craig can be a bit of a dill at times. This installment had me rolling my eyes as she completely ignored the most obvious suspect and almost got herself killed. All the coincidences that bring these stories together are also a bit OTT.
Linette M. Ellis
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Read!

Melissa is off and sleuthing as usual, getting into another fine mess that kept me on the edge of my seat!
Sandy Vanno
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good mystery

Good read. Great ending. Not what I suspected. Good mystery! Now on to the next book in this series of mysteries.
alice valentine
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
First time reading this author. I did enjoy it and look forward to another book by her.
Sheila Lyons
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Riveting read

Really another great read from Betty Rowlands, you just have to keep reading to end, interesting plots keep the interest flowing recommend
Emma Cannon
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great mystery. Really enjoyed this. The first in the series that i have read so have downloaded the others. Good cosy mystery
Fiona Wilson
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
This is a series where the books can be read as stand-alones, but in my opinion should be read in order.

Another instalment in the life of Melissa Craig. This one finds her writing once more, but not for herself. She is tasked with finishing something which brings her closer to danger than she first realises.

A nice easy read. Thanks to Bookouture and Netgalley for providing a copy.
Cindy
Sep 10, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Shelves: mysteries, series
I liked this book quite a bit. Melissa Craig decides to go on a writer's retreat and gets mixed up in a murder. The victim was the much disliked owner of the school hosting the retreat. There were a lot of twists and turns in the plot, but I had a hard time understanding why it took everyone in the book so long to figure out what was going on, when I already had it figured out. But I will admit that I was surprised by the final identity of the murderer at the end. I'm willing to read the next on ...more
  • Slight Mourning (Inspector Sloan #6)
  • The Blind Side (Ernest Lamb #1)
  • A Pinch of Magic
  • The Whisper Man
  • Arson and Old Lace (Far Wychwood, #1)
  • A Mysterious Affair of Style
  • Death of an Eye (Eye of Isis #1)
  • Through Alien Eyes
  • Island Christmas (Wildflower B&B Romance #3)
  • Christmas Angel
  • Tied Up with A Bow (County Cork #6.5)
  • Wicked Nix
  • The Christmas Child: A Story of Coming Home
  • Thread Herrings (Mainely Needlepoint, #7)
  • Christmas with Rosamunde Pilcher
  • A Trap for Fools (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9)
  • White as Snow: A Christmas Story
  • Christmas Truce
Betty Rowlands is an member of the Crime Writers' Association and appears on panels at writers' conferences.

Melissa Craig (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Little Gentle Sleuthing (Melissa Craig, #1)
  • Finishing Touch (Melissa Craig, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Melissa Craig, #3)
  • Exhaustive Enquiries (Melissa Craig, #4)
  • Smiling at Death (Melissa Craig, #6)
  • Deadly Legacy
  • The Cherry Pickers
  • The Man at the Window
  • The Fourth Suspect
  • No Laughing Matter (Melissa Craig, #11)