Start by marking “Bad Dog” as Want to Read:
Bad Dog

Bad Dog

The differences between cats and dogs have never been funnier! In this hilarious new story from the illustrator of I Don't Want to Be a Frog, a little girl really, really wants a dog... but gets a cat instead!

"Look what I got for my birthday! A pet dog!" says a little girl holding a... cat? Rocky doesn't listen or obey like all the other dogs. (Because Rocky is a cat.) And
Published October 1st 2019 by Doubleday Books

To ask other readers questions about Bad Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Dog

Start your review of Bad Dog
La Coccinelle
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This adorably illustrated book is about a little girl who asks for a dog for her birthday and gets one... sort of. Rocky isn't like most dogs: she doesn't like to go for walks, she won't obey commands, and she really doesn't like water. The girl concludes that Rocky's a pretty bad dog. But there are some things about Rocky that aren't so bad, either: she doesn't bark at the mailman and she doesn't chew up the girl's toys. Eventually, the kid concludes that Rocky would make a pretty good cat... ...more
Bea
Silly and cute. Review to come.
Andrew
Rocky is a very bad dog... she doesn't do tricks or listen to her human's orders. She's very good at catlike things though, like clawing things up and sleeping. Bad Dog has adorable seeping out of every page as Rocky's human tells you all about her! Every cat owner will find their own fluffy friends in these accurate illustrations of feline mischief & love.
Maria Marshall
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
What a hilarious premise and hook. I just had to read this book. I had to find out why the girl thought Rocky (the cat) was a dog and whether she would ever admit the truth. The book perfectly captures the studied indifference of a cat and the insistent determination of a child to believe that her one birthday wish had been granted. Slowly, the girl begins to acknowledge that perhaps Rocky is better behaved than a dog. Throughout, the bright, bold, expressive illustrations continually contradict ...more
Theresa
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Peacegal
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
The fantastic illustrations are a highlight to this introduction to Rocky the cat, who makes a rather bad dog. As another reviewer said, that cat/dog mixup will probably only be hilarious to the youngest tots, but the illustrations will be appreciated by all audiences.

I'm not going to lie, the idea of a preschooler being given a pet as a birthday present wasn't my favorite part of the book.
Dwan Dawson-Tape
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Colorful and mischievously silly. ^_^
Karen
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abbreviewed
Little girls can be very bossy and determined to have their way and the little girl in this story is no exception. She wanted a dog for her birthday and by sheer force of will, a dog she will have. Pay no attention to the fact that what she actually received is, and shall always be, a cat. A cat may be the only creature that is equally stubborn. She tries to teach her "dog" to come, she tries to teach her "dog" to walk on a leash, she introduces her "dog" to other dogs. The feline chooses NOT to ...more
Lisa Sassi
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't possibly love this book any more. Rocky is adorable.
Jaymie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars - cute. I like books like this - mistaken identity pet stories like Naughty Kitty, Silly Doggy, Sterling Best Dog Ever, etc.
Margaux
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, humor
This one would make a great read-aloud. I can just picture the kiddos going "that's not a dog!!!" and laughing when she says "Rocky would make a really great cat!"
Austin Gullett
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
At first glance, this is just a cute story about a pet and the misunderstandings of a young child. However, there's a deeper layer that discusses that effects of expectations and the ways in which we think may not always match the reality of a situation. I'm sure a kid would find this book hilarious, though.
Susan
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny!
Grab
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I giggled at every page.
Kathryn
For cat fans and kids alike I love this book it’s funny and cute
Lauren
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this picture book. It’s so funny and cat owners will totally relate
Erin Buhr
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
The premise of this book is picture book genius. The words announce: "Look what I got for my birthday! A pet dog!" while the pictures tell the reader that it's obviously a cat. The kid's grumbling from their about their "bad dog" who doesn't listen or do tricks is hilarious. The expressive cat is particularly funny. A clever concept that is well delivered.
wildct2003
Adorable and hilarious!
Judy Ripke
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: previews
The most interesting thing about this book is the photo of the author as a child with his dog. The author's note and the end page tells how his family now has three cats. It would be good for children to discuss where he might have gotten his story idea.
Rachael Bookfairs
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rocky the cat is a pretty bad dog. Cute.
Connie T.
Here's a cute case of mistaken identity. Rocky is a "bad dog" because Rocky is a really great cat. The illustrations were colorful. The narrating character looked too much like Lilo (from Lilo and Stitch).
Ms. Yingling
Copy provided by the publisher

I don't do much with picture books, but this was an amusing enough tale with super cute illustrations. It's probably best suited for 2-4 year olds, since older children will not be as amused by the misunderstanding that the "dog" is actually a cat.
Marg Corjay
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Humorous text and cute illustrations, everyone could relate to Rocky's mistaken identity.
N
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've shared this with a few kindergarten classes and more than once have I been asked to "read it again" when I get to the end.
Edward Sullivan
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Clueless little girl thinks her cat is a dog.
Garrett
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: story-time
Yo, little girl, that's a cat
Morgan Stamper
Oh my gosh, so cute!
Madeline  M Miesen
Really good

Because this is a really good for you for adults and children quick and simple and the pictures are very cute. It's funny or something kids with really appreciate.
Sandra
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not exactly original but so soo flipping cute. I cackled at the expressions though the entire book. Might pair with pigeon wants a puppy for storytime someday.

• Who Wet My Pants?
  • The Tree That's Meant to Be
  • Chicken Break!: A Counting Book
  • Cats Are a Liquid
  • Hats Are Not for Cats!
Mike Boldt has been my name
for quite a few years

Some people call me an Author / Illustrator
I’ve been called worse

I like ice cream a lot

I still enjoy cartoons

I‘ve drawn since I was young

I read (picture) books

I like to write & Draw them too

I'm amazed and grateful every day this is my job.