Start by marking “Wolf Land” as Want to Read:

Wolf Land

Aside from a quaint amusement park, the small town of Lakeview offers little excitement for Duane, Savannah, and their friends. They're about to endure their ten-year high school reunion when their lives are shattered by the arrival of an ancient, vengeful evil. The werewolf. The first attack leaves seven dead and four wounded. And though the beast remains on the loose and ...more
Published March 14th 2019 by Flame Tree Press (first published November 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Wolf Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolf Land

Janie C.
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read books about werewolves or vampires. I like my horror to be more unusual or psychologically driven. My first exception was Glen Hirshberg's imaginative and heartbreaking vampire novel, Motherless Child. It blew me away. My second exception is now Jonathan Janz's novel, Wolf Land. Mr. Janz gives the werewolf genre a refreshing makeover. While there is plenty of action, violence and gore to be experienced, this story shines by bringing it's characters to the forefront. Each ind ...more
Karl
This hardcover copy is numbered 14 of 60 signed and limited editions printed and is signed by Jonathan Janz.
Char
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: samhain, werewolves
Wolf Land is a wild, roaring, face-ripping ride!

Sometimes a reader finds themselves looking for a book which reads like the equivalent of a B grade movie. That's the position in which I found myself last week, and since I recently interviewed Jonathan Janz for Horror After Dark, I thought this book would fit the bill. It did!

Now, when I say "the literary equivalent of a B grade movie", that doesn't mean the language or the storytelling were sub-par, because they most definitely were not. What I
Kimberly
4.5 stars, rounded up.

Jonathan Janz continues to amaze me with how he can take creatures that we have read and watched hundreds of books and movies about, and yet still manage to create something completely "new"! In WOLF LAND, Janz takes on the werewolf lore, and gives us an entirely unique perspective on their origins and behaviors.
"But whatever the species, it all boiled down to the same thing.
Death."

As I've come to expect from this author, his characterization is top-notch. From the good-
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
High school reunions are bad enough on their own, but what really takes the cake is having a bloodthirsty werewolf show up to kill several of your old friends. Now, Duane and Savannah are scrambling to find shelter as their former classmates rapidly succumb to their newfound primal urges.

If there's one theme in horror that I don't reach for often at all, it's the classic werewolf story. Even as a kid, werewolves just never frightened me much, and it's always been hard for me to find werewolf
Jon Recluse
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The wild get extremely weird and the blood drenched fur flies when the survivors of a werewolf attack find themselves losing control......and their small town finds itself in a battle for survival between the unwitting spawn of lycanthropic evil.....and the source of the bloodline.

Janz pulls no punches, balancing action, horror and a healthy dose of humanity like a master in this feral fiend of a tale, along with nods to every shade of werewolf from poor old Larry Talbot to the latest flavor of
Ms. Nikki
This fast-paced read was a frenzy of carnality in epic proportions. Visceral and surreal, Janz has outdone himself with this newest title.

All I can tell you is to throw on the nearest raincoat and grab some boots because Jonathan is hailing blood and body parts non-stop! You're sure to get soaked by all the horrors between these pages.

An A+ read. Mr. Janz has really grown as an author. If he wasn't already on your auto-buy list, well, he should be.

Recommended for everyone, especially splatter-pu
Kimberly
4.5 stars, rounded up.

"But whatever the species, it all boiled down to the same thing. Death."

Bill
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A drunken beach party gets a wee out of hand as a vengeful pissed off werewolf crashes the bonfire and starts eating the guests. That is a party foul of the first magnitude!! Major party pooper. Not to mention the fact that it is run off before it can finish off the guest list, leaving several friends to turn on their own. Thank goodness there isn’t another gathering in the near future like a High School reunion which would be an opportunity to finish what was started. Oh…wait…come to think of i ...more
Kaisersoze
Jonathan Janz is something of an enigma. Not only is he one of the nicest writers you could hope to correspond with, but if his writing is anything to go by, he also has some seriously deranged ideas running around in his head. He has also moved away from quiet, unsettling horror to in-your-face, visceral horror, whereas most authors tend to chart a path in the opposite direction.

And his latest release from Samhain Publishing, Wolf Land, only emphasises his progression down this blood-drenched
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm currently writing up my "official" review for SCREAM magazine. The unfortunate thing about writing reviews for a bi-monthly, print magazine is how long I have to wait to share my thoughts about a book I *just* read!
So in a quick word, WOLF LAND is a a hard-hitting creature feature that does NOT skimp on the gory details. Fans of werewolf legend and lore should be well pleased.
Trigger warnings:
VERY graphic, detailed descriptions of carnage, yes, but more specifically there's some gut wrenchin
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
For years now, the werewolf has been hijacked by the shifter romance genre. Well, Jonathan Janz has claimed a bloody morsel back for the horror genre!

There has been a bit of a drought in the horror genre for the classic monsters. Sure, if you go looking you will find vampires and werewolves all over the place, but these books generally treat the monster as something more human than beast, a tortured soul looking for a mate to ease the torment that the character has experienced in their intermin
Peter
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not a big fan of Werewolf stories but I have read other books by Jonathan Janz and have not been disappointed. Duane, Weezer and Savannah and their friends were going to attend their class reunion. There is a outside gathering of all the classmates to celebrate their 10 year reunion. Things go quickly downhill for here and they will never be the same again. A Werewolf breaks up the informal gathering and starts to murder the innocent bystanders. After the first attack, there were seven dead ...more
11811 (Eleven)
I finally decided to simply not rate this one. I had the audio book and I hated the narrator. His normal speech was done well enough but far too often he would use this low, growly, (werewolfy?) voice that came across as partly silly and partly irritating. I couldn't get past that nails on a chalkboard voice far enough to comment on the actual story.

I'm happy to be putting this behind me so I can move on to the other Janz books already lined up on my Kindle - Exorcist Road and The Nightmare Gir
Chris
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan Janz has hit another home run of horror, and this novel is my favorite of his so far. I'll admit it, werewolves are the coolest creature in the pantheon of horror fiction monsters, but it's satisfying when an author comes along with a spin or twist, or different angle, on something that's been done numerous times before (although I'd argue that the number of vampire and even zombie novels far outweighs that of the shapeshifter). And Janz does that extremely well.

The town of Lakeview, Il
Michael Hicks
My review of Wolf Land can be found at High Fever Books.

Let me put it up front here that Wolf Land is not one of my favorite Jonathan Janz books. Mind you, it’s still a good read, even it didn’t quite land for me the way his other releases have and I didn’t find it quite as compelling as Children of the Dark (my first Janz book, and the title that made me an instant fan and follower of this author) or, his latest, The Siren and the Specter.

At a bonfire party held days before their 10-year-reuni
Shane Keene
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Jonathan Janz about one and a half, maybe two years ago when I read his novel, THE SORROWS. Brian Keene called that book the best horror novel of the year for 2012, and for good reason. It was the best horror novel I had read in years. Since then I’ve had the pleasure of reading pretty much every book Janz has written and have been pleasantly surprised to watch him grow and get better with every book he writes. His newest novel, WOLF LAND, continues that trend.

WOLF LAND is a bloody,
Meghan
Jonathan Janz is an amazing author and a really nice guy, so when I saw that he had a blog tour coming up with Hook of a Book - and for Wolf Land - I jumped on board. (Book tours always give me a reason to move books I have on hand further up on my TBR list haha.)

Janz has a talent that, unfortunately, most writers do not have. He not only knows how to write a story that stays with you and gets into your head, but his use of characters and setting are simply spot on in every book I have read of h
Nev Murray
"To summarise: a werewolf story with feeling. Characters that you could be living next door to because you believe everything they are going through. Flip the page and the blood sprays all over your face. Fast, fun and exciting. If you like your horror you will love this. If you like werewolves, you will think you have died and gone to heaven. Highly recommended."

See the full review here:

Thomas Strömquist
My second book of 2016 - which I read partly in parallel to the brilliant Summer of Night - turned out to be another great one! Jonathan Janz, writer of Exorcist Road and Dust Devils, which I read and enjoyed last year and Savage Species, which took a great leap upwards in my to-read-pile, offers his take on the werewolf legend and it is really a great one! But let's start at the beginning, because, much like Dust Devils, the best part is the one before the full-on bloody mayhem...

It's the 10 ye
Ken McKinley
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, own-kindle
Quentin Wallace
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good one from Janz. It really seems the werewolf doesn't get its due as one of the top tier supernatural creatures. I really always considered werewolves 2nd right behind vampires, but since zombies have gotten so popular I suppose the pecking order could have changed.

In any case, Wolf Land is a great title because not only do have A werewolf, we have several. This is a truly horrific novel, and if there was anything about it I disliked it was I thought it may have been a little too dark
Kelly
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tf

So I get to open the tour for one of my favourite authors and I am sure I will just sound like such a fangirl, but in my eyes (and I have said it before) he can do no wrong! I mean even with this dark book, I loved everything about it. I do love the Q&A at the beginning of the book, and Janz tips his head to Richard Laymon (beyond awesome horror author) and you most definitely get that feel in this book. Anything with gore and frivolity you can sense the influence of Laymon – pure ecstasy.

So
Perry Lake
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: werewolves
From the first line, this book grabs your attention and never lets go. Janz has a good eye for characteristics, recognizing the things most of us really think while we’re presenting something else to the world. The flashback to Mike’s un-charmed life is filled with instances and images that resound truthfully. The guy that’s prepared to stand on top of the world is the one that gets hurts the most when he falls.

Mike, like Glenn and Duane and every other male in the book, is infatuated with Savan
Levi Walls
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My reviews have been touted on Twitter, the greatest literary site of all time 😂, as......

"Better than anything you'll ever read in the freakin NYT review of books!" (@ryderwriters)

So when I utter my magnificent words, you should probably listen.

This book. This fuckin' book. As I said on Twitter, it is: OMG, HOLY SHIT, WHAT THE HELL!! When your Goodreads updates say things like:
--Pages 196-197 Fuck yeah kill em all!! 🤘🤘 Right now this is this the greatest moment in the history of literature. T
Pete Kahle
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best werewolf novel I've read in a decade. I've only read one other Jonathan Janz book to date (Savage Species) and I liked it, but he has taken his game to another level with WOLF LAND. Now I'm chomping at the bit to read his other books.

I'm a huge fan of creature horror and it has always seemed that werewolves have not gotten their due. With WOLF LAND, Janz has taken the usual "guy gets bitten by werewolf... guy turns into werewolf" and multiplies the horror exponentially with the
Sarah Brocious
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-good-scare
I think the best part of this read was the beast itself. This is not the nowadays werewolf we have become accustom to...this is a nightmare beast! Wolf is a predator with leering golden eyes. And though it is proper to cheer the "good guy" (us mere humans) I have to say, the Wolf had my respect and was a worthy, scary, fear inducing foe.

There is a lot more to this story than Wolf, and that is the humans. I have read several of Janz's stories and generally I can in some way identify with one or t
Shawn Thornton
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rip roaring werewolf tale that's fun from start to finish. This is my second Jonathan Janz novel and I am now officially a fan. I'm given this book 4 big claw marks out of 5. Great book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Don't Need No Water
  • Bad Apples 2: Six Slices of Halloween Horror
  • Moonstruck (High Moor, #2)
  • Chasing Ghosts
  • The Monster Underneath
  • Wolf Hunt
  • In the Devil's Dreams
  • Sentinels
Jonathan Janz is the author of more than a dozen novels and numerous short stories. His work has been championed by authors like Joe R. Lansdale, Jack Ketchum, and Brian Keene; he has also been lauded by Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, and School Library Journal. His ghost story The Siren and the Specter was selected as a Goodreads Choice nominee for Best Horror. Additionally, his novel Childr ...more