Start by marking “Will Haunt You” as Want to Read:
Will Haunt You

Will Haunt You

You don't read the book. It reads you.

Published March 14th 2019 by Flame Tree Press

To ask other readers questions about Will Haunt You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Will Haunt You

✨Tamara
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oiy vey! 🙄
"Rumors of a deadly book have been floating around the dark corners of the deep web. A disturbing tale about a mysterious figure who preys on those who read the book and subjects them to a world of personalized terror. Jesse Wheeler--former guitarist of the heavy metal group The Rising Dead--was quick to discount the ominous folklore associated with the book. It takes more than some urban legend to frighten him. Hell, reality is scary enough. Seven years ago his greatest responsibility
Lisa
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
My thanks, once again to Flame Tree Press, the author and Netgalley. I wasn't in much of a hurry to start this book after all the dreadful reviews I'd read, But, I had heard good things about the author's other stories. I liked the beginning of the book. The band getting back together for one last show. They sucked before, and they sucked again! My ex-husband was a drummer and co-lead singer in a band when we met. If you knew me now, "boring Lisa" as compared to ....you'd realize how outrageous ...more
Donna Backshall
Will Haunt You is an offbeat novel about Jesse, a former rocker. He's lived a hard life, and he's doing his best to live up to who he wants to be, and to move beyond who he has been. One night after a reunion with his old band mates, Jesse finds himself in the middle of a nightmarish situation that dredges up the past he's trying to leave behind and brings fresh terror to his life.

If you've read House of Leaves, you may appreciate the staccato writing style of Brian Kirk. I struggled through Hou
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
When Jesse decides to read a very disturbing book he's been hearing strange tales about, he doesn't expect anything to actually HAPPEN to him. It's just a book, right? Tell that to the strange men who have kidnapped him, or the terrifying place he's awoken in, with its awful, cruel doctors and guards. Will you make the same mistake Jesse made by reading this book?

Alright, friends, this is a tough review to write — not because my feelings are ambiguous about this book, but because some of my fr
Toni
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-kindle-tbr
This book was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review, thanks to Flame Tree Press, Brian Kirk and NetGalley.

4.5 Stars!
I really enjoyed this book, being narrated in the first person is a huge plus for me, it gives a real insight into Jesse’s character and thoughts as he is plunged in to a relentless living nightmare that exploits he deepest darkest thoughts, secrets and mistakes and forces him to face them head on.

The beginning of the book was brilliantly creepy, I was hooked
Emily
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
"Turn the page and he'll be there, watching you."

I don't even know what to say about this book. I had been looking forward to it, especially since the pre-release marketing was intriguing. The synopsis sounded interesting, but this book went in a different direction than it seemed like it was going to go in. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't.

I guess I would call this book experimental horror. I'm still not entirely sure what the experiment was - my friend Audra / ouija.doodle.read
Mindi
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I've been reading some reviews and I'm noticing a lot of people are making comparisons to House of Leaves. I loved House of Leaves, and I know that quite a few people really did not. Some of my closest friends really dislike that novel. I never made that comparison while reading Will Haunt you, but I can see it after the fact.

Essentially, I love books with a bit of ambiguity in the ending. It's really like an invitation b
Jessaca Willis
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
W A R N I N G
I read a book much like the one you’re holding now. And this is what happened to me. Don’t make the same mistake. Please, put it down. Or better yet, throw it away. This is your last warning. Turn the page, and you’re on your own. Actually, that’s not true. Turn the page and he’ll be there, watching you.

/\
/ \
/ | \

And that’s how you start a novel!

I enjoyed a lot of this book! The opening scenes were creepy and terrifying, and had me looking over my shoulder anytim
Glenn Rolfe
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brian Kirk is a man that writes like no other. His horror is psychological, complex, and freaky.
One man's dark secret will come to light, and his life and that of his family will be on the line.
WILL HAUNT YOU is original and mind-bending. Not your typical horror novel, this one will turn your brain upside down and spin you right round, baby.!

4.5 stars!
Recommended.
Michael Hicks
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
My review of Will Haunt You can be found at High Fever Books.

Aging rocker, Jesse, has a bit of a problem. A mysterious radio broadcast fills his ears moments before his car crashes, and he finds himself fleeing into the nearby woods, chased by identical twins and strange creatures. It’s a lousy way to end a night that should have been spent celebrating the final performance of his band, Rising Dead. A recovering alcoholic, he should have been sipping seltzer and getting home early to his wife an
Bridgett
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Well, that was odd.

WARNING: I read a book much like the one you're holding now. And this is what happened to me. Don't make the same mistake. Please, put it down. Or better yet, throw it away. This is your last warning. Turn the page, and you're on your own. Actually, that's not true. Turn the page and he'll be there, watching you.

I guess I'm being watched now because I ::gasp:: turned the page.

Okay, so I honestly don't know what to say about this story...it's weird, it's confusing, you hav
Lauren Stoolfire
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

You don't read the book. It reads you. Rumors of a deadly book have been floating around the dark corners of the deep web. A disturbing tale about a mysterious figure who preys on those who read the book and subjects them to a world of personalized terror. Jesse Wheeler--former guitarist of the heavy metal group The Rising Dead--was quick to discount the ominous folklore associated with the book. It takes more than some urban lege
Jamie
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Will Haunt You was an enjoyable read for me. There was a fair amount of creepy social media publicity for this book, and I think that added to the experience for me. For me, the highlights of this novel were the characters, pacing, and the sense of unease throughout the story. I felt invested in Jesse's story, and cared about the well-being of his family.

While I do enjoy a slow-burn story at times, I'm typically a reader who prefers a fast-paced tale. Will Haunt You picks up rather quickly, wit
Mommacat
Jan 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Review Copy

An interesting book to start out with, but I quickly got bored. And then...AND THEN the author pulled what I felt was a fast one. He gathered up a bunch of his blogger friends and asked them to post a prequel to this book on their blogs (presumably to garner excitement) as well as explain wtf was going on in this silly story.

Now as I said, read on its own you could figure the story out without the prequel. But I don't like starting in the middle of a book or walking late into a movie
Steve Stred
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

Over the course of 2018 and now into 2019 two things have become abundantly clear. Indie horror releases have upped the level of quality and Flame Tree Press releases are stellar. Now while the two statements at face value would appear to be completely unrelated, I can guarantee you, they are one and the same.

There is nothing wrong with commercial literature. Many of the best horror novels of all time are considered commercial literature. But
Cheryl
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I picked up a copy of this book because I was in the mood for a good horror novel. It has been a really long time since I have read a good horror novel. Sadly, this book did not end up being that "one. Yet, the concept was there and could have been.

It is funny as I was struggling with this book and kept putting it down after a few chapters not really able to put my finger on what the issue was. I knew that the one thing was that I could not connect or cared for the characters including the main
Kristy
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
**Thank you to NetGalley and Flame Tree Press for a free e-copy of Will Haunt You in exchange for an honest review.**

Jesse was a bad boy rocker with a penchant for booze and drugs until one night his life changes forever. Under his drunken watch, his infant son suffers a head injury that causes permanent brain damage. Jesse's guilt forces him to quit his heavy metal band, alcohol and drugs. Seven years later, the band gets back together to play for one night at a bar. Jesse manages to stay sober
Lukasz
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, netgalley
Great idea, strong beginning, uninspiring execution.

A heavy metal band, The Rising Dead, reforms for a gig. Jesse Wheeler-a former guitarist of the group - used to plat mean guitar solos and have fun. Things changed when he accidentally injured his son, leaving him permanently disabled. He destroyed his son's future and his career.

His past comes to hunt him in surreal dreams and vignettes. A lot is going on and most of it feels unclear, chaotic and unexplained. Some readers will find it hauntin
Michelle Sibley
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Meet Jesse, a former member of a heavy metal band who reads a book with a warning, the same warning that was in my copy, your warned to put the book down, to throw it away. Or it will haunt you. Like me, Jesse read the book.

If Alice was in a rock band I have a feeling she would have tumbled down the same hole as Jesse.

This book is weird, it's pretty upside down and sideways. I was really unsure throughout if I was engaged in this book, if I was enjoying it, having now finished the book I'm sure
Laura Thomas
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I had high hopes going into this. The synopsis sounded creepy. And while I did get plenty of that, I also got some bizarre scenes. It was hard, at first, to see where the author was going with his story. Once I figured that out, kind of, I kept thinking this would work so much better as a movie. The plot was out there and hard to follow by reading. I enjoyed some parts, especially the twist at the end. Other parts, not so much. I was left wishing I’d gotten more of what I thought this was going ...more
David
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
3.5 stars if Goodreads would allow. My review can be read here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1M5.
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
"OBSIDEO. [...] ALWAYS WATCHING"
Friends, this was... a weird book. I finished reading it almost 2 weeks ago and honestly I don't know if I will ever shake the "WTF did I read?" from my brain. This book definitely delivered on the horror, but it is also a strange read.
WARNING I read a book much like the one you're holding now. And this is what happened to me. Don't make the same mistake. Please, put it down. Or better yet, throw it away. This is your last warning. Turn the page, and you're
Cassie Lola (holo.reader)
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Special thanks to Flame Tree Press for providing an ARC of 'WILL HAUNT YOU' in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 stars (rounded to 4 due to Goodreads' inability to acknowledge half-star scorings -- when will this be a thing?!)

Starting off, I'd seen a lot of hype surrounding this release on the blogs of some people whose reviews I typically follow. Oddly, when looking through the reviews for this, I'm not actually seeing many of those who promoted it reviewing it (at least, not yet - it is slated
Locus Amoenus
Feb 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
I give up. I made it 20% into the novel and just couldn't make myself care enough to continue. This may be someone else's cup of tea, but in the end I decided I had (much) better stuff to read. Here are my main problems with this book:

1. I had no clue what was going on. I don't mind a novel starting in media res, but at some point things have to start making some sense for me to want to keep reading. And yes, I get that there will be an "all will be revealed" moment somewhere down the line, but
Lou
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
“The only question is how the story ends for you. Because it’s only just begun.”

The ride will begin and into forbidden frontiers, irreversible realms, lies, frighting abominations and tellings, trapped in a vicious cycle of torment and wrongs doings all played before you whilst in the mind of another, a maniac mind, replaying nostalgia painful and regretful, truth or falsehood.

The main characters escape to safety, to normality, from all the craziness and outrage ensuing, keeps you tied in to th
Cats of Ulthar March of Shoggoths
WILL HAUNT YOU is griity horror noir about a band which proves impossible to leave. Or maybe it's not the band, so much as it's the other members. Though not obvious on the surface, the lives and destinies of these musicians are inextricably twined, more so than they are with their spouses, girlfriends, or children. When one proffers a book--"the book that should not be read"--the consequences (and ugly they are) spread faster than pond ripples from a skipped stone.
Luke.At.What.Im.Reading
Book Review 📖
Will Haunt You by Brian Kirk 📚
‘WARNING’
I read a book much like the one you’re holding now. Please, put it down. Or better yet, throw it away. This is your last warning ⚠ Turn the page, and you’re on your own. Actually, that’s not true. Then the page and he’ll be there, watching you.
When scrolling through Netgalley I came across this book, and it sounded extremely dark and freaky!
The story follows Jesse who is part of a metal band called The Rising Dead, who get together every once
Chris
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advance copy of this novel from the publisher Flame Tree Press through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

When I noticed the authors being published by Flame Tree, especially the legendary Ramsey Campbell, I was hopeful that Will Haunt You would be an interesting and original horror story. It was based on this, more than the blurb about this being a “haunted book” story.

I have read many haunted book/haunted painting/haunted dollhouse/haunted box found at a garage sale-- e
Mindy'sBookJourney
I would like to thank Flame Tree Press for the ARC through NetGalley.

A book that will lead its reader to a nightmare in real life. Will Haunt You had a premise and a main character that are a winning combination. Jesse Wheeler is an retired musician in a heavy metal band. We are introduced in the best way with a reunion concert that truly kicks butt.

The "nightmare" that ensues is very strange and creepy. However, it seems to go off the rails of possibility making it hard to follow at times. It s
Jeanne25
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really excited to read this. It sounded creepy. Loved the premise and enjoyed the start of the book. After awhile it got weird and then it got tedious and confusing. I am sure there is an audience out there for this one but it was just too much work to finish and not for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for supplying a copy in exchange for an honest review.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Brian Kirk is a Bram Stoker Award®-nominated author of dark thrillers and psychological suspense. His debut novel, WE ARE MONSTERS, was released in July 2015. In addition to being nominated for a Bram Stoker Award® for Superior Achievement in a First Novel, WE ARE MONSTERS was optioned for film development by Executive Producer, Jason Shuman.

His short fiction has been published in many notable mag