Start by marking “The Christmas Shoes (Christmas Hope, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Shoes (Christmas Hope, #1)

The Christmas Shoes

(Christmas Hope #1)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  33,459 ratings  ·  1,047 reviews
Sometimes, the things that can change your life will cross your path in one instant-and then, in a fleeting moment, they're gone. But if you open your eyes, and watch carefully, you will believe....

Robert is a successful attorney who has everything in life-and nothing at all. Focused on professional achievement and material rewards, Robert is on the brink of losing his mar
Published November 9th 2001 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2001)

·  33,459 ratings  ·  1,047 reviews

Start your review of The Christmas Shoes (Christmas Hope, #1)
Kat
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-4, christmas
A sweet, touching Christmas story about a young boy who is losing his mother to illness around Christmastime and a man who needs to open his heart before he loses his family. This one had just the right amount of holiday and was very sweet.

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
Julianna
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for a Good Holiday Story or a Real Tear-Jerker
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I had recently been lamenting the fact that I hadn't read a true tear-jerker yet this year. I have been know to get a bit misty-eyed at certain scenes, but it is a rare book that makes me actually shed tears. The Christmas Shoes did exactly that and more. It made me cry buckets both while reading it and afterwards while merely thinking about it, and again while trying to write this review. There is a profound and beautiful message packed into this simple short story. It m
Lizzie
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book! So heartwarming and such great messages! Most people have heard the song, but the book is even better! Completely recommend!
2.5 Stars

I’ve never been much of a seasonal reader. I believe 2014 was the first year I read any books set at Christmas time during the holidays (other than children’s books), but when I saw that my 2015 PopSugar challenge had such an entry, I knew 2014 wouldn’t be the last year I did it.

I don’t know how familiar you guys are with the song “The Christmas Shoes”, I know I’ve heard it and the general message is one that I know pretty well but it’s not a favourite or anything. So imagine my surpr
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, read-2016
Yes, this is a teary eyed read, but I am not ashamed to say that I really enjoyed it. It reminded me a lot of the theme expressed in Jimmy Stewart's movie, It's a Wonderful Life. It will remind you of what's really important in your life. I know, while I was reading it today, I blew up my husband's phone with random text messages telling him how much I loved him. I like books that inspire me to love my family more and to appreciate them and this book did exactly that. I look forward to reading t ...more
Nathan
Feb 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who own tables that have one leg shorter than the others.
Recommended to Nathan by: Dagny
This was given to me as a gag gift, and (spoiler alert!) it sucks. I suppose you could say that it is somewhat capably written, much in the same way that a high school essay takes a few scattered facts and stretches them out into a full research page paper. That's where the positives end. The book is filled with enough sugary schmaltz and false sentimentality to send cookie monster into a diabetic coma. The character development (if you could call it that) of secondary characters serves little p ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: christmas, christian
This novel follows two different characters during a difficult Christmas season: A boy, Nathan, learns that his mother is dying of cancer, while a hard-working lawyer, Robert, realizes that he has become distanced from his wife and children. When a chance encounter brings the boy and the lawyer to the same department store check-out line, Robert learns something beautiful about the true meaning of Christmas.

I was not expecting this book to be the Great American Novel. I was expecting it to be sa
Haley S
Pardon me while I cry my eyes out.
This book was so good but so sad. I definitely cried more than once while reading this short and sweet little story. For anyone looking for a Christmas story, this is it. All of the plots and characters in it were amazingly written out. Donna VanLiere is a great author. As soon as I finished this story, I decided that I wanted to read the next book in this series, The Christmas Blessing. This second book in the series is about Nathan. However, he is grown up no
Antof9
Dec 15, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm not sure why I'd start reading a book like this on the anniversary of the day my dad died, but I started it yesterday. After sobbing through the first half, I put it down to finish it this evening. It's one of those short, heartwarming stories where a hardened workaholic learns the true meaning of Christmas, someone dies (actually multiple people die), and you really wish it was snowing outside. In short, it was lovely, and I cried all the way through it.

The perspective change throughout was
Sarah {The Bookish Knitter}
4 Stars

I did enjoy this story a lot. It was inspirational and lovely and showed how just a little kindness can truly change someone's life.
Jennie Louwes
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poignant is the word that best describes this book. Heartfelt and moving, at times a bit trite; but, overall evocative and well worth ones time to read.

I smiled, I cried, I cared deeply for the parallel lives of the characters that were being lived out simultaneously.

Tender touches matter. Paying kindness forward matters. Life and death are so integrally intertwined; we will all know someone who dies. How then should we be prompted to live our lives? Why, with great respect towards one another!
Tatevik Najaryan
This was a solid 3-star book, before I reached the half of it. The book should have ended there, even in the middle of the sentence. It should have.

I am not a huge fan of romance and chick lit, but I wanted something Christmassy and light to turn off my brain from everything, so combing through the GR Christmas book lists resulted some children's classic picture books and this.

And strangely enough I was not that annoyed as I am usually when reading this type of books. The writing was a little "
Joleen
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet little book about a boy, a pair of shoes, a marriage on the rocks and love.

Heartwarming.
Sandra BASIC
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sadness and pain mixed with warmth and gratitude. Right book at the right time - Christmas time! Christmas is not only decorations and gifts underneath the tree, Christmas is love, family and faith. Books like this one are here to remind us that, over and over again. Don't celebrate holidays for material causes, stay still for a moment and be grateful - for life and for persons beside you.

All of us have something to believe in, so have faith and BELIEVE!
Becky
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was a huge tear jerker. I think I cried through almost the entire book. Thank goodness it was only 140 pages. ;) But the story was great and it was a real heart felt book. Made you think about what's really important in life and the true meaning of Christmas.
Kate
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5/5

A light and easy read. One of those heart-warming books about how a single event can alter the course of someone’s life. I found that it jumped back and forth between narrators in a way that was not always easy to follow.
R.A.
Wow! How do I even review this? The cover is lovely, but the story was just amazing!

I don't know anything about The Christmas Shoes song, so that wasn't the reason I bought this and read it! But I LOVE how the story is focused around the lyrics of that song (the lyrics are on a page at the end of the book).

It's a very powerful, spiritual book which made me love it more! It was so focused around God! There was forgiveness as well, along with the fact that married couples should stay together when
Caitlyn
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is 132 pages of sadness. I hate cancer! I hate it! I hate it! I was upset when reading The Fault in Our Stars, but I cried reading this book.

We, as humans, become so focused and stressed during the holidays that greediness tends to get the best of us. We are never necessarily satisfied with 'having enough' during the holidays, but simply wanting or needing more.

This book not only places the reader in another individual's tragic situation, but also makes the reader realize that just b
Latha Viknesh (IG: betweenthecovers_sg)
I would give this book a 2.5.
Touching book with a nice message but not my cup of tea. Story lacks character development, maybe because it's based on a song of the same name. People reviewed it as a tear-jerker. I didn't tear but some parts were heart-warming.
Olivia
Precious and a beautiful refreshing Christmas read. There's tears and sadness, but oh so much hope in it too!
Shiloah
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas
A bit too depressing for my taste.
Manjushree’
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short, simple and touching book. I chose to read this book because of the numerous reviews here that said it’s a tear-jerking book. I’ve never had a book that brought tears to my eyes and was both intrigued & skeptical that this book would be the first one to do it. So I went for it with a “Bring it on! Make me tear” attitude. Let’s just say you don’t want to be reading this book with mascara on cause you’re probably going to start looking like a raccoon by the end of it. Loved the book! ...more
Dana
It's been awhile since I have read a tear jerker this book is simply heart wrenching yet absolutely wonderful. Love the message of it just beautiful and highly recommend
It to anyone who wants a good book with a good message that is an easy to read wonderful Christmas book! And PS make sure A. You aren't sitting in the dentist office while reading as they might think you are crying from tooth pain and B. Have a box of tissues handy
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was beautiful! I read it so quickly, and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I want to read the sequel but it may have to wait till next year. I am going to watch the movie.. I might cry like I cried whilst reading the book.

Please read the book, it's a beautiful story with a beautiful message.
Book Concierge
Mar 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
1.5*

I’m sure you’ve heard the Christmas song about the little boy who wants to buy a special pair of shoes for his Mama on Christmas. She’s dying and he wants her to feel special when she meets Jesus.

Well, VanLiere expands that song into this novella. The writing is trite and the story line, melodramatic and manipulative. There are a few redeeming qualities. I really did like the interactions of the Andrews family: Nathan, dad Jack and mom Maggie. I also really liked Nathan’s teacher and the w
{MyDearestClementine}
I chose this book, because I currently live in Russia and do not have access to the Hallmark channel. So I wanted to read a Christmas story that was Hallmark-esque. Well, this hit the spot! It was exactly what I wanted!
Mom2triplets04
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Read this for a readalong with Elizabeth from LizzieFayelovesbooks. This was a heartbreaking story that left me in tears. I’ve heard the song before but never knew the story behind it. Highly recommend everyone read this.
Phylisha Stone
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful Christian read featuring two families having difficult times during the Christmas season. You will need a box of tissues for this one.
Nina Hoppe
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-christmas
I was crying through out the book. So much love showed through in the attitudes and generosity each character showed towards others.

• The Christmas List
  • The Christmas Basket
  • Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas
  • Sam's Letters to Jennifer
  • The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box, #1)
  • A Dog Named Christmas (A Dog Named Christmas #1)
  • The Gift
  • Silver Bells
  • Christmas at Harrington's
  • The Smoke Jumper
  • The Christmas Sweater
  • A Walk to Remember
  • Dear John
  • The Notebook (The Notebook, #1)
  • The Rescue
  • Skipping Christmas
  • The Noel Letters
  • The Gift: Home for Christmas / All I Want for Christmas
Donna is a New York Times and USA Today best-selling author. She's an in-demand conference speaker and gifted teacher and has 14 published books including four that have been adapted into movies.

Donna is the recipient of multiple industry awards including a Retailer's Choice Award for Fiction, a Dove Award, a Silver Angel Award, two Audie Awards for best inspirational fiction, a nominee for a Gold

Christmas Hope (10 books)
  • The Christmas Blessing (Christmas Hope, #2)
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • The Christmas Promise (Christmas Hope, #4)
  • The Christmas Secret (Christmas Hope, #5)
  • The Christmas Note (Christmas Hope, #6)
  • The Christmas Light (Christmas Hope, #7)
  • The Christmas Town (Christmas Hope #8)
  • The Christmas Star (Christmas Hope, #9)
  • The Christmas Table (Christmas Hope, #10)

News & Interviews

“If we're open it, God can use even the smallest thing to change our lives...” 7 likes
“I don't know what sort of occasion I was waiting for...because everyday was a special occasion with your father.” 6 likes