Start by marking “I Will Teach You to Be Rich, Second Edition: No Guilt. No Excuses. No B.S. Just a 6-Week Program That Works.” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  18,975 ratings  ·  1,526 reviews
Ramit Sethi is “the new finance guru” (Fortune), “a unique voice on money, one singularly attuned to . . . his generation” (San Francisco Chronicle). He reaches over 500,000 followers a month on his website, iwillteachyoutoberich.com. And his book, I Will Teach You to Be Rich, is a New York Times bestseller with 383,000 copies in print—and the kind of backlist title that is so robust that its sales increase(San(),
Published May 14th 2019 by Workman Publishing Company (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Will Teach You to Be Rich, Second Edition, please sign up.
Jason Ruggles I think it is. He may talk about a few detailed things that would only apply to the US, but most of what he talks about is high-level views on money…moreI think it is. He may talk about a few detailed things that would only apply to the US, but most of what he talks about is high-level views on money and how to handle it—regardless of where you live.

If you're looking for a book on how to be rich, this is a good place to start.(less)
Bill Zoelle I find this book to be helpful for those who are just looking to start and are overwhelmed. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

·  18,975 ratings  ·  1,526 reviews

Start your review of I Will Teach You to Be Rich, Second Edition: No Guilt. No Excuses. No B.S. Just a 6-Week Program That Works.
Chad Warner
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: StartupNation
Shelves: non-fiction, finance
This is definitely the best personal finance book I've read so far. It's a logical, step-by-step, practical handbook for financial success, specially written for twenty-somethings. It was better than the personal finance books I've read by Eric Tyson, Andrew Tobias, Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman, and Robert Kiyosaki. See my Finance shelf on Goodreads for my reviews of those books.

Sethi gives advice on “automatically enabling yourself to save, invest, and spend - enjoying it, not feeling guilty...because you’re spending only what you
Jason
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tried summarizing the main things to learn at:

I've pasted the most important bits below, but for a lot more (hopefully useful) info, check out the linked doc.

The Overall Gist: This book is about how to manage your money, particularly for young people (20's). It's about the 85% solution: most young people don't manage their money because they believe they have to be experts, but
Dustin Taylor
Jun 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
While I don’t agree with everything he said, I do agree with some of the things he talks about. I personally found the investment chapters worth reading as I didn’t know very much and he lined out what my options were and explained what they were in a clear and fun way. The entire thing about using a credit card for everything to get points and other “benefits” doesn’t quite work for me, but it may for him. I don’t know anybody who has ever gotten rich because they received points from credit ca ...more
Alex Pyatetsky
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never wanted to give a book 2 stars so badly. As a warm blooded, heterosexual male - the obnoxiousness and irrelevance of Ramit's frequent fratboy asides is really grating. I'm sure he has some kind of "gotta break some eggs to make an omelette" rationale, but buyer beware. You're going to read some shit that sounds like Tucker Max, minus the funny.

THAT SAID - I gave the book 4 stars.

Why? If you don't have your finances in order, Ramit gives you a clear, actionable p
Jamie
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Ramit has some good points in this book. I liked his no-BS approach and I found his points about automating finances worthwhile, if it didn't exactly give me new information. I found the section about investing to provide helpful information about index funds, which I had wondered about. He is right on the money about saving up for weddings/homes too, which somehow people just expect to pull massive amounts of money together for, on a whim. Excellent points, all.

That said, I really d
Emily Whetstone
Don't let my star rating mislead you. You should read this book. The advice is very good and clear.

I just can't honestly say I loved it, because I found the author's examples of what it means to be rich (repeated references to being fed grapes, etc, by lovely younger women) to be off-putting. Also, the layout is terrible. The flow of chapters are continually interrupted by smaller stand-alone sections, which should have been better placed so you wouldn't have to choose between interrupting the
Joy
The financial advice is mostly sound, but the tone and attitude is pretty annoying: it's aimed toward adults with the emotional maturity of 13-year-olds and features lots of unfunny jokes about hot blondes. Do. Not. Want.
Jean-Luc
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In one chapter, this book briefly describes a girl that spends $5,000/year on shoes. Since it's a book on being rich, I figured she *must* be rich in order to waste that much money on shoes. But no, her annual income is about half mine. She's able to do this because she decided that "$5,000/year on shoes" was her own personal definition of "rich" and she oriented her life around that decision.

That's all this book is: deciding for yourself what it means to be rich and acting on it. Ev
Derek McDow
Deficient in style, form, prose, and depth (the nerdy dude-bro-esque humor falls flat and tends to sound either sexist or racist) but the dated content could still prove useful to young people who know next to nothing about getting their finances in working order. Perhaps the strongest aspect of this book is the actionability of the content--improving credit scores, setting up high-interest savings accounts, investing in 401K and ROTH IRAs, etc. Great primer for the late-teen or early 20-somethi ...more
Bethany
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's not that his advice is bad. His tone is just infuriating...
Marcel
May 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to take what this guy says seriously after reading the Millionaire Fastlane and living a lifestyle congruent with that book. My suggestion would be to read that first and then pass on this one rather than wasting your time. Go out there and create some value instead of rolling in the slowlane like Ramit suggests! I will teach you to be rich? More like, I will get rich from selling you this book while you stay poor making marginal gains on shitty investments.
Jesse
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll keep this short and sweet: absolutely everyone should read this. High school kids should read this. My mom should read this. You should read this. It's the best book on personal finance I've ever read. Step by step instructions on exactly how to get your financial life in order. I read this years ago and it paved the way for me to eliminate my credit card debt and start investing. A must-read.
Bibliovoracious
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not the target market for this (not millennial, and not into getting barked at sarcastically), but I still learned some practical new things.

I do highly recommend for anyone under 30 - it has all the basic important money knowledge, plus hacks, specificity, and clear explanations.
Nicholas Kotar
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Check back with me in about 5-10 years, but I think this is one of those books that will really effect practical changes in life in a big way. Great book.
Anotherjesse
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who haven't gotten their financials in order
The author is a co-founder of PBWiki. Having known David (other co-founder of PBWiki) since moving to the bay area, I decided it was worth taking a chance on this book.

Overall it was disappointing. Most chapters had as much information as a good blog post. He spent too much time repeating himself and making stupid jokes. I give it 1 star on style. I wish Gini Trapini had written it.

The actual content is good. Anyone who doesn't have a good financial system in place should read it. T
Chris Johnson
I was curious about Ramit.

I don't love everything about what he's doing, but I think he's a Challenger Sale kind of blogger. He knows what he knows, and he's mostly right.

I've been following Dave Ramsey - and what I can say is this book beats the crap out of dave.

The basic message behind Dave's stuff is this: you're stupid, spending is stupid, and you should feel guilty every time you spend a little money that's not perfectly planned. Oh, and you have to eat c
Sarah Kendosh
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A MUST read for young independent ppl!!!
Farwa
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book for me to think about my finances and saving habits. Through reading this book, I have learned about retirement accounts, long-term investing, and short-term savings goals. My system is now fairly automated so I don’t have to think about it too much, and I feel like I’m doing a lot more with my money than I was before reading this.

Highly recommend for my friends in their 20s who have started earning a steady income, especially if you’re like me and kind of clueless about f
Guilherme Zeitounlian
I read the first edition of this book in 2016. At the time, I gave it 3 stars.

Now I read the second edition, and the ideas are mainly the same: invest early, automate your finances, have a plan. Cut costs that you don't care about, and spend lavishly on the things you love.

However, the overall tone of the book was improved: it is less judgemental. It talks more about the "85% solution" - just do what is good enough. And these changes help convey the message in a much smoo
Ling Chung
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For beginners, this personal finance book is a 5 star. It's up there with Rich Dad and Poor Dad. Ramit Sethi is hilarious. I love listening to his interviews generally. The light tone definitely came through in the book.

Keep in mind this book is written for beginners. If you are somewhat diligent about your finance, you probably are already doing 90% of the things outlined in this book. So I wouldn't recommend reading this.

As a Canadian not familiar with US investment veh
Megan
Mar 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I'd get a couple new ''tid bits" of info in this book, but nope, same-old same-old. This is all common sense, people. Save & invest, don't buy a house you can't afford, and do your research.. Maybe I could relate more if ia were in my 20's and renting? In my opinion, if you want this elementary stuff, you're better off reading Suze Orman's books. Much more factual info, and much less random opinion.
Abinadi Ayerdis
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only wish I could rate this book six stars. This book is everything I never knew I always wanted. Ramit's advice hit me like a dump truck to the face ... like an icicle in my brain ... like distilled truth smeared on my eyes. My life is now divided into two distinct times: impoverished ignorance and post-book richness. Read this book, my friends, and know its goodness.
Eric
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a great personal finance book for people in their 20's. It teaches simple lessons on how to apply personal finance in the internet age. I love how relevant the book is to my life, and my finances. Moreover, it was comforting to find out that I had already implemented several of the author's suggestions. Great read.
Harold Bradley III
Overly simplistic. Annoying tone. Some of the advice is good, but it is better presented elsewhere. Skip this book.
Bri Altier
If you can cringe through the misogyny and disdain for overweight people, there are actually some good pieces of financial advice for beginners.
Vijay Raghoenath
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the first book I read without taking notes on my phone. Immediately when you start reading this book you’ll realize that it targets Americans, which makes it challenging for a European reader to apply.

Still, I strongly suggest you bear with it and take the principles out of the book instead of the textual advice. Furthermore, it gets really interesting when you reach the latter chapters (chapter 6 until the end).

Ramit Sethi is a well known blogger about personal finance and th
Tony
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I’m prone to listening to self help/nonfiction guru books from time to time, I consider it my podcast as I’ve mostly avoided those. But this book straight up helped me in two very definitive ways:

1: Introduced me to the budgeting program YNAB which has completely changed the way I view my money and my bills. It’s a rather complicated program that took me a long time to understand but with the help of a couple of excellent Youtube tutorials I have a complete grasp and I genuinely f
Janey Muñoz
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
From my limited perspective, the advice in this book seems useful to those beginning their personal financial journey, and was definitely helpful to me in a few specific areas. Financial advice, like all advice, is only useful in certain contexts, so some of it may feel off-the-mark, or simply irrelevant. I appreciated reading this book as an ebook, making it easy to jump to certain sections, avoiding the bits that were completely irrelevant to my finances. Also, hyperlinks were dispersed throug ...more
Ada-Marie
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a $1.99 ebook rated over 4 stars, so I bought it. Although I quickly realized it was geared for those 15 years younger than I am (apparently it’s too late for me to get rich!), I loved it. It taught me so much about credit ratings and interest rates and insurance and car buying/leasing. And the title is more about living richly, not being a millionaire. 🙌🏻
Stephanie
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This is a very clear and easy to understand personal finance book. I appreciated how the book was laid out with step by step guidelines.

• The 4-Hour Workweek
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Quit Like a Millionaire: No Gimmicks, Luck, or Trust Fund Required
  • Your Money or Your Life
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • Playing with FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early): How Far Would You Go for Financial Freedom?
  • Broke Millennial Takes on Investing: A Beginner's Guide to Leveling Up Your Money
  • The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
  • Work Optional: Retire Early the Non-Penny-Pinching Way
  • The Latte Factor: Why You Don't Have to Be Rich to Live Rich
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
Ramit Sethi is New York Times best-selling author of I Will Teach You To Be Rich. His blog, iwillteachyoutoberich.com, hosts over 300,000 readers every month. He co-founded PBwiki and graduated from Stanford, where he studied technology and psychology. He lives in San Francisco, CA.
“The 85 Percent Solution: Getting started is more important than becoming an expert.” 9 likes
“It’s more important to get started than to spend an exhaustive amount of time researching” 6 likes