Start by marking “Dead Inside (Maggie Jamieson, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Inside (Maggie Jamieson, #1)

Dead Inside

(DC Maggie Jamieson #1)

‘An excellent read’ Martina Cole

A dark and gripping debut crime novel – the first in a stunning new series – from a huge new talent.

‘Kept me hooked … excellent pace and a very satisfying ending’ Angela Marsons

When three domestic abuse offenders are found beaten to death, DC Maggie Jamieson knows she is facing her toughest case yet.

The police suspect that Probation Officer
Published May 31st 2019 by Killer Reads (first published May 21st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Inside

Paromjit
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Noelle Holten's debut crime fiction certainly packs an emotionally intense punch as she takes us into the world of domestic violence, abusive relationships, dysfunctional families, and damaged individuals. Holten takes us into the lives and interior worlds of both perpetrators and victims, outlining why victims might find it so hard to leave their horrifying relationships, even when they should know better. Whilst this series is billed as the DC Maggie Jamieson series, in this book the central c ...more
Berit☀️✨
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2019, blog-tour
ᎴᏗᏒᏦ. ᎴᎥᏕᏖᏬᏒᏰᎥᏁᎶ. ᏰᏒᎥᏝᏝᎥᏗᏁᏖ.

Noelle Holten’s debut was dark, disturbing, and brilliant. This is the first book in the DI Maggie Jamison series but it really centered on Lucy a probation officer. Three men have been murdered, three men that were convicted of domestic abuse, three men whose probation officer was Lucy sherwood. When Lucy’s own abusive husband is killed, she becomes the primary suspect. But could Lucy possibly be a killer? And is murder ever justified?

This was less of a crime inves
sue

I’ve been anticipating this book for so long.
If you are a book blogger you will understand why I said that.

This is a debut novel, first in a series and boy oh boy what an example of a high standard of work here. It would easily shoot up in the ranks of Best Selling Authors who are already established.

The storyline is fierce, prompt, has pitch, power and pace, just the way I like it to keep my reader juices salivating to read more.

Lucy who is a probation officer for domestic violence is also exp
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am going to try my best to keep this review to the point because this entire read is an experience you don’t want to miss if you enjoy police procedurals!

Maggie Jamieson is an investigator, and her next case involves three domestic abuse offenders found beaten to death.

The main suspect? Lucy Sherwood, a probation officer tied to all three victims. Well, the spotlight really shines on her after her husband is found murdered, and he’s a known abuser as well.

Is Lucy guilty? Will Maggie be able
Kim ~ Traveling Sister
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tour, netgalley
I had anticipated this book was going to be good, I just didn't realize how flipping fantastic it was going to be. OMG I loved it! It was way darker than I expected and that is a winner in my book. The graphic details just made this book really stand out in my mind. Noelle Holten knocked it out of the park with this debut.

Admittedly police procedural series are not my favorite go to books, but yet I had to get my hands on this one. What I loved about this is the fine balance between police proce
Amy
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
4.5/5

Nothing makes me more excited than reading a debut and when it’s an exciting, dark and incredibly well written debut? Then I’m over the moon! Dead Inside surely fit the bill and although I had been eagerly awaiting this book for what feels like forever, it was well worth the wait in the end.

I love a book with a large ensemble cast and although this is the first in a new series following Maggie, it was truly Lucy’s story at it’s core. I loved the combination of a classic police procedural an
Helga
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dark, powerful, emotional and compelling and at times an uncomfortable and painful read, Dead Inside is Noelle Holten’s debut novel and is the first in the DC Maggie Jamieson series.
The author having been a probation officer herself, the book has an authenticity and a realistic and honest approach to domestic abuse, the abusers and the abused.

Three men with a history of violence and domestic abuse are murdered. Is this the work of a vigilante or are the killings more personal?
Lucy, who has p
Louise Wilson
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
DC Maggie Jamieson #1

This is the author, Noelle Holten's debut novel. Three domestic abuse offenders have been found dead. Maggie Jamieson is new to the Domestic Evidence Unit. Her first case is to investigate and find out who has beaten the offenders to death. Probation Officer Lucy Sherwood has connection to the three men. Lucy also has a secret,that no one, not even her friends know, she also suffers from domestic abuse from her husband. Noelle Holten was a social worker before becoming a wri
Mark
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Insightful, moving and dramatic!
Lucy is a probation officer, dealing often with men who have beaten their wives and are still a threat to them....but Lucy also has her own terrible hidden secret from colleagues and friends...
3 of these men are found murdered, Maggie Jamieson is on the case, but is anyone really that bothered about these evil men being murdered, and who could have actually done what many had threatened.....Lucy seems to be the ideal suspect, but is she a bit too ideal...
The book
Shalini
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a hard core, dark gritty read which dealt in great detail with domestic abuse, the way men hit women, the scars which the women carried, both physical and mental. It told me how the cops and other disciplinary services were sometimes so helpless, the scrap of paper which was the restraining order was basically useless.

Though this was the cop Maggie Jamieson series, the book described the Probation Officer Lucy's life in great detail and what she went through in her personal and pro
Mandy White
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow - what a debut novel Dead Inside is! Well done Noelle Holten! This book had me absolutely hooked and wanting to keep reading . It deals with a difficult theme but the authors obvious experience in this area was clear. It was realistic and powerful and I really enjoyed reading it. I look forward to more from Maggie Jamieson in the near future, with a start like this one it is going to be a cracking series. I have followed Noelle's reviews for a while now and am so pleased that she is now a pu ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

What a debut this is, and I can easily say I'm looking forward to book 2.

To start with I was struggling a bit as it seemed like a new character was introduced every chapter - and if you are a book blogger you may find a lot of the character names were incredibly familiar. In fact that was possibly what I had the most trouble with initially, as every time a familiar name appeared, I felt pulled out of the book, and was just laughing.

Well that lasted for the first stint of reading the b
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Wow! Wow! I seriously can not believe that this is the authors debut novel!

This is the first book in the DC Maggie Jamieson crime series. What a way to start a series off! Whilst it is a series featuring Maggie and her team, the main character in this story is Lucy. Lucy’s character I loved. She works in probation, of which was a job I didn’t envy her whatsoever, dealing with some offenders that even prison would be to good for them to end up.

Due to the story line dealing with domestic abu
Samantha Gonsalves
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Dead Inside came highly recommended on Goodreads and after all the hype surrounding it, I succumbed to the temptation. This dark and twisty thriller is Noelle Holten's debut novel and is the first in the DC Maggie Jamieson series. This one of those books that will grab you by the first chapter and won't let you keep the book down, no matter the place or time. It's that good!
When three vicious wife-beaters are found brutally murdered, DC Maggie Jamieson a brilliant and diligent officer of the law
The Book Review Café
From the shocking and disturbing prologue I knew this was one of those books I would get so caught up in, and god help anyone who disturbed me whilst I was reading it. Part Domestic noir, part crime thriller this novel was a cracker, when you read as many books as I do in these genres you are always looking for “that” book that offers you that something extra, something that makes it standout out from the crowd, and OMFG the author has certainly managed that.

Domestic abuse is not the easiest sub
Steph Lawrence
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first instalment in a new crime series is always exciting.
Fab debut and a refreshingly different angle for a crime book.
I just couldn’t wait to get my hands on a copy of this. As a book blogger at Crime Book Junkie, Noelle Holten writes a fantastic blog. She obviously knows the secrets of a good story. Being a former probation officer the author has real life knowledge.
The familiarity of character names was unnerving at first, if you’re a blogger you’ll know what I mean, but I soon got used
Betty
Three men were murdered, and they all had two things in common: a history of domestic violence and Probation Officer Lucy Sherwood. DC Maggie Jamieson and her team are in the midst of their investigation when Lucy's husband becomes the fourth victim. Is it all a terrible coincidence, or is Lucy a killer? The team needs to solve these crimes, and soon... before someone else turns up dead.

I've had the pleasure of reading several unputdownable crime thrillers since I started book blogging, and I've
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

Dead Inside is a brilliantly crafted novel that's fast-paced, punchy and intriguing.

Although it features detectives and police, and various cases which were being investigated (violent abusive men who've been murdered - is there a link?), it feels to me like more of an intense mystery/ drama, rather than your usual crime novel. This is in part because the characters felt so well fleshed out and very convincing, so I could feel myself completely sucked into the
michelle
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dead Inside by Noelle Holten is her debut novel and the first in the DC Maggie Jamieson series and what a brilliant read it is.
Three men are murdered, and they all have something in common, they both have history of domestic violence and they are all connected to Probation Officer Lucy Sherwood. Lucy deals with domestic violence and is good at her job, but we learn that when she goes home, she suffers the same fate in the hands of her husband Patrick.
It’s DC Maggie Jamieson first case with the
Lou
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the first in a new, exciting police procedural series, DC Maggie Jamieson finds herself at the centre of her most challenging case yet in which the line between good and evil is blurred adeptly. The police are deeply suspicious that there is corruption within the probation service. They aren't sure how high it may go but they believe Probation Officer Lucy Sherwood, who has links to all four of the men found brutally murdered, is hiding a huge, dark secret. So is Lucy really involved, and if ...more
Jen
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So. This is interesting. A book I have been looking forward to reading from a long time from an author I know relatively well and someone whose journey from blogger to published author I have been following. It makes it both a great and also scary prospect when you sit down to read as it becomes a question of what happens if you don't enjoy the story and, if I do, will people even believe what I have to say about the book anyway? I could lie and say I've never heard of Noelle's blog, but bloggin ...more
Julie Lacey
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a fantastic first book.
I loved this and am so glad there’s more to come in this series.
Maggie is on secondment and is soon involved in a murder case.
We also get to know Lucy who works for the Probation service with abusive/violent people and their victims.
Lucy is living her own nightmare as her husband is abusing her and she feels trapped.
Soon another body is found of a known domestic violence criminal and Maggie and the team try to tie the two deaths together.
We also get an insi
Keith Nixon
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow!
Robyn
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dead Inside by Noelle Holten is the first book in the DC Maggie Jamieson series and it had me hooked right from the first page!

Maggie is newly appointed to the Domestic Abuse and Homicide Unit after a particularly disturbing case in the murder investigation unit. Maggie is about to hit the ground running in the DAHU when three domestic abuse offenders are found murdered. All points in the investigation lead back to Lucy, a probation officer who knew all three victims. But, Lucy is hiding her own
Karen
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don’t suppose there would be too many people shedding a tear when a domestic abuser is found murdered however in this debut thriller, DC Maggie Jamieson has a mammoth task on her hands when the body count keeps rising from a killer who covers their tracks extremely well.

Interwoven with the police investigation is the story of Lucy, a probation officer, and because of her job, is well known to the members of the police investigation team. Dealing with offenders, including these domestic abuser
Aina
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, arc
This is a heavy read, moving through a large number of characters affected by domestic abuse. Despite hints of a serial killer, the murder investigation is not the book's priority. Instead, it focuses on the characters' relationships and how they are connected with one another.

I thought the writing is persuasive and heartbreaking especially when we spend time with Lucy Sherwood, one of the main characters. As a victim of domestic abuse, she is a shadow of herself. It was tough to read scenes be
Bojoura
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very different from what i read in general. Yes its a crime novel, I read a lot of crime, but the tough subject domestic abuse was something i had to get used to. The characters are very well developed and they make you think. Its very interesting to see/read and feel the struggle of the probation officers and other care workers.
Besides of the tough subject its also a great read, a solid whodunnit and I 'm really looking forward to #2 in this series.
Audrey Gibson
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't believe this was a debut novel!!!!! You would seriously think this author has been writing for years. I read it in a day because once I started I couldn't put it down. Lucy has a great career and good friends, on the outside she looked so happy but on the inside she was a crumbling wreck, my heart ached for her. The story makes you feel every emotion possible. This is one of my top reads EVER and can't recommend it highly enough. If I could give more than 5 stars, I would.
Lainy
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 1 day

Pages - 352

Publisher - Killer Reads

Source - Netgalley

Blurb from Goodreads

The police suspect that Probation Officer Lucy Sherwood – who is connected to all three victims – is hiding a dark secret. Then a fourth domestic abuser is brutally murdered. And he is Lucy’s husband.

Now the finger of suspicion points at Lucy and the police are running out of
Leona
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely fantastic start to a new detective series . I devoured this book and loved every chapter . A brilliant storyline and some good strong characters . This is Ms Holtens debut novel and it’s a cracker of a read. Highly recommend.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Noelle Holten is an award-winning blogger at www.crimebookjunkie.co.uk. She is the PR & Social Media Manager for Bookouture, a leading digital publisher in the UK, and was a regular reviewer on the Two Crime Writers and a Microphone podcast. Noelle worked as a Senior Probation Officer for eighteen years, covering a variety of cases including those involving serious domestic abuse. She has thre ...more