Start by marking “Dead Inside (Maggie Jamieson Crime Thriller, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Inside (Maggie Jamieson Crime Thriller, #1)

Dead Inside

(DC Maggie Jamieson #1)

‘An excellent read’ Martina Cole

A dark and gripping debut crime novel – the first in a stunning new series – from a huge new talent.

‘Kept me hooked … excellent pace and a very satisfying ending’ Angela Marsons

When three domestic abuse offenders are found beaten to death, DC Maggie Jamieson knows she is facing her toughest case yet.

The police suspect that Probation Officer
Kindle Edition
Expected publication: May 31st 2019 by Killer Reads

To ask other readers questions about Dead Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Inside

Paromjit
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Noelle Holten's debut crime fiction certainly packs an emotionally intense punch as she takes us into the world of domestic violence, abusive relationships, dysfunctional families, and damaged individuals. Holten takes us into the lives and interior worlds of both perpetrators and victims, outlining why victims might find it so hard to leave their horrifying relationships, even when they should know better. Whilst this series is billed as the DC Maggie Jamieson series, in this book the central c ...more
sue

I’ve been anticipating this book for so long.
If you are a book blogger you will understand why I said that.

This is a debut novel, first in a series and boy oh boy what an example of a high standard of work here. It would easily shoot up in the ranks of Best Selling Authors who are already established.

The storyline is fierce, prompt, has pitch, power and pace, just the way I like it to keep my reader juices salivating to read more.

Lucy who is a probation officer for domestic violence is also exp
Helga
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dark, powerful, emotional and compelling and at times an uncomfortable and painful read, Dead Inside is Noelle Holten’s debut novel and is the first in the DC Maggie Jamieson series.
The author having been a probation officer herself, the book has an authenticity and a realistic and honest approach to domestic abuse, the abusers and the abused.

Three men with a history of violence and domestic abuse are murdered. Is this the work of a vigilante or are the killings more personal?
Lucy, who has p
Louise Wilson
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
DC Maggie Jamieson #1

This is the author, Noelle Holten's debut novel. Three domestic abuse offenders have been found dead. Maggie Jamieson is new to the Domestic Evidence Unit. Her first case is to investigate and find out who has beaten the offenders to death. Probation Officer Lucy Sherwood has connection to the three men. Lucy also has a secret,that no one, not even her friends know, she also suffers from domestic abuse from her husband. Noelle Holten was a social worker before becoming a wri
Rachel Gilbey
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

What a debut this is, and I can easily say I'm looking forward to book 2.

To start with I was struggling a bit as it seemed like a new character was introduced every chapter - and if you are a book blogger you may find a lot of the character names were incredibly familiar. In fact that was possibly what I had the most trouble with initially, as every time a familiar name appeared, I felt pulled out of the book, and was just laughing.

Well that lasted for the first stint of reading the b
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Wow! Wow! I seriously can not believe that this is the authors debut novel!

This is the first book in the DC Maggie Jamieson crime series. What a way to start a series off! Whilst it is a series featuring Maggie and her team, the main character in this story is Lucy. Lucy’s character I loved. She works in probation, of which was a job I didn’t envy her whatsoever, dealing with some offenders that even prison would be to good for them to end up.

Due to the story line dealing with domestic abu
Betty
Three men were murdered, and they all had two things in common: a history of domestic violence and Probation Officer Lucy Sherwood. DC Maggie Jamieson and her team are in the midst of their investigation when Lucy's husband becomes the fourth victim. Is it all a terrible coincidence, or is Lucy a killer? The team needs to solve these crimes, and soon... before someone else turns up dead.

I've had the pleasure of reading several unputdownable crime thrillers since I started book blogging, and I've
The Book Review Café
Review to follow as part of the blog tour
Shalini
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a hard core, dark gritty read which dealt in great detail with domestic abuse, the way men hit women, the scars which the women carried, both physical and mental. It told me how the cops and other disciplinary services were sometimes so helpless, the scrap of paper which was the restraining order was basically useless.

Though this was the cop Maggie Jamieson series, the book described the Probation Officer Lucy's life in great detail and what she went through in her personal and pro
michelle
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dead Inside by Noelle Holten is her debut novel and the first in the DC Maggie Jamieson series and what a brilliant read it is.
Three men are murdered, and they all have something in common, they both have history of domestic violence and they are all connected to Probation Officer Lucy Sherwood. Lucy deals with domestic violence and is good at her job, but we learn that when she goes home, she suffers the same fate in the hands of her husband Patrick.
It’s DC Maggie Jamieson first case with the
Jen
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So. This is interesting. A book I have been looking forward to reading from a long time from an author I know relatively well and someone whose journey from blogger to published author I have been following. It makes it both a great and also scary prospect when you sit down to read as it becomes a question of what happens if you don't enjoy the story and, if I do, will people even believe what I have to say about the book anyway? I could lie and say I've never heard of Noelle's blog, but bloggin ...more
Keith Nixon
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow!
Bojoura
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very different from what i read in general. Yes its a crime novel, I read a lot of crime, but the tough subject domestic abuse was something i had to get used to. The characters are very well developed and they make you think. Its very interesting to see/read and feel the struggle of the probation officers and other care workers.
Besides of the tough subject its also a great read, a solid whodunnit and I 'm really looking forward to #2 in this series.
Audrey Gibson
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't believe this was a debut novel!!!!! You would seriously think this author has been writing for years. I read it in a day because once I started I couldn't put it down. Lucy has a great career and good friends, on the outside she looked so happy but on the inside she was a crumbling wreck, my heart ached for her. The story makes you feel every emotion possible. This is one of my top reads EVER and can't recommend it highly enough. If I could give more than 5 stars, I would.
Leona
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely fantastic start to a new detective series . I devoured this book and loved every chapter . A brilliant storyline and some good strong characters . This is Ms Holtens debut novel and it’s a cracker of a read. Highly recommend.
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: May 17th 2019

"He turned her from a confident, carefree, intelligent woman, into a shell. She felt like nothing. Like she was in someone else's body, skin, mindset."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Killer Reads in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
'Behind closed doors you can get away with murder'

Dead Inside is the debut novel from Noelle Holten. Due for publication with Killer Reads on 31st May, it is described as ‘a dark and gripping debut crime novel – the first in a stunning new series – from a huge new talent.’ Many of you will be familiar with Noelle Holten as her alter ego, the award-winning blogger Crime Book Junkie, but now Noelle has written her first novel, the first book in this new series featuring DC Maggie Jamieson.

Having
Sharon
This is the first book in the DC Maggie Jamieson series, and also the first book by this author. Three domestic abuse offenders are found killed and Probation Officer, Lucy Sherwood is a connection between the three. Lucy though is hiding a dark secret from her friends and colleagues. Not only does she deal with domestic abuse offenders in her job, but she also experiences it first-hand from her husband at home. DC Maggie Jamieson is new to the domestic violence unit, and her first case is to tr ...more
Caroline Vincent - Bits about Books
‘Dead Inside’ is Noelle Holten’s gritty, gripping, and captivating debut novel, not only introducing DC Maggie Jamieson but also featuring Probation Officers Lucy Sherwood and Sarah Hardy – and boy, what a dark and devious world we stumble upon!

My Thoughts
Oh gosh! I have been dying to start reading DEAD INSIDE as Noelle is a fellow blogger I highly admire. First, I must say, I choked up when reading the dedication. We’ve all seen the many lovely and endearing photos of Buster and we were all dev
Aina
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
This is a heavy read, moving through a large number of characters affected by domestic abuse. Despite hints of a serial killer, the murder investigation is not the book's priority. Instead, it focuses on the characters' relationships and how they are connected with one another.

I thought the writing is persuasive and heartbreaking especially when we spend time with Lucy Sherwood, one of the main characters. As a victim of domestic abuse, she is a shadow of herself. It was tough to read scenes be
Heather Bennett
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead Inside is a fabulous thriller that I could not put down. This is a must read for the year. The book is engrossing, written well, and great characters.
Angela
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow what a great book
How could a person killed Three men
DC Maggie Jamieson has to try
The probation officer Lucy Sherwood is called because she knows them
Then her husband is killed and the police think that she might be a killer
I had an ARC from Killer Reads
Susan Angela Wallace
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dead inside by Noelle Holten.
Wow wow. A fantastic read with some great characters. Love how shell Baker and Sarah Hardy were in the book.
I didn't like Patrick or Robert at all.
I was surprised who the killer was.
This is a great debut from Noelle Holten. I hope she writes more fabulous books. 5*.
Marj Ward
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Incredible debut novel. Lots of characters who have different roles in this story coming together. Besides the police we read about the probation side once the convicted are released from prison. I did not see the ending coming which delights me. I hope Book 2 is available very soon. Well Done!!! Thank you to NetGalley, the Publshers and the Author for allowing me to read and review this book.
Yvonne
Wow!

Wow!

WOW!!!

Where to start!

When I see a book written by someone that has worked or works in the area that the book is set in, my interest twitches up an extra notch. This means that I kind of expect some extra details or the author will try to impart some of that experience onto the page of the story.

When you read Noelle’s career resume I think you will agree it is impressive. As I started to read the story I became aware immediately that she had very successfully transferred her experiences i
Kath
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So... Well respected blogger - CrimeBookJunkie - has only gone and written a book! When I heard that news I have to admit that my interest was piqued although, once I got my hands on a copy I was a little scared to start it being as there was quite a buzz about it in the bookish world. But I have heard such good things about it from people I trust. So, fear aside, I dove in and... wowsers!
I read a lot of books - north of 300 a year - most in the crime genre, the majority of which are police proc
Ruth Parker
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three men are murdered, all with a history of domestic abuse. DC Maggie Jamieson is on the hunt for a serial killer. But who are the real victims? Did the men get what they deserved?

An amazing thriller debut. I’m looking forward to reading book 2! It deals with tough situations and events very well and honestly. You can tell the author has strong experience in this field and it can’t through in her clear and believable writing.

My only negative was the sheer amount of characters - I had to keep
Marion
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a start to a series!

Lucy Sherwood, a probation officer, works alongside the (DAHU)Domestic Abuse and Homicide Unit, dealing with the aftermath of spousal abuse.
This is something she is also dealing with on a personal level with her partner Patrick.
Known abusers start turning up dead. They have been brutally beaten to death, though they show no sign of defending themselves against the attacks.
Who is killing them?
DC Maggie Jamieson who has just joined the DAHU finds herself thrown into the i
Catherine Wyett
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just a WOW! Loved this. Thank you for this Netgalley ARC. Right out of the gate this story took off at a full run.
I will definitely keep a FOLLOW on this new author. I thoroughly enjoyed this. The only thing I wish authors would do is have a character list as sometimes I have to remind myself about a character if it hasn’t been mentioned for a couple of chapters. It would make life easier. Could be just me.
Philippa Mckenna
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Never have i anticipated a debut novel as much as this one, and let me tell you, it did not disappoint! Noelle Holten really has produced a fantastic book with this, the first in the Maggie Jamieson crime thriller, and my lord, this is an author with a twisted mind! The subject of domestic abuse and the awful, awful consequences women suffer as a result has been tackled head on. It is clear the author has real life experience of dealing with offenders, because she writes so well and really draws ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Noelle Holten is an award-winning blogger at www.crimebookjunkie.co.uk. She is the PR & Social Media Manager for Bookouture, a leading digital publisher in the UK, and was a regular reviewer on the Two Crime Writers and a Microphone podcast. Noelle worked as a Senior Probation Officer for eighteen years, covering a variety of cases including those involving serious domestic abuse. She has thre ...more