Start by marking “Dead Inside (Maggie Jamieson, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Inside (Maggie Jamieson, #1)

Dead Inside

(DC Maggie Jamieson #1)

When three domestic abuse offenders are found beaten to death, DC Maggie Jamieson knows she is facing her toughest case yet.

The police suspect that Probation Officer Lucy Sherwood – who is connected to all three victims – is hiding a dark secret. Then a fourth domestic abuser is brutally murdered. And he is Lucy’s husband.

Now the finger of suspicion points at Lucy and the
Published May 31st 2019 by Killer Reads (first published May 21st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Inside

Start your review of Dead Inside (Maggie Jamieson, #1)
Sumit RK
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dead Inside is the first book of the DC Maggie Jamieson series but interestingly it is focused mostly on the story of a probation officer, Lucy Sherwood. Lucy deals with domestic abuse cases as a part of her work. Yet she is dealing with her an abusive marriage with her husband Patrick. Meanwhile, DC Maggie Jamieson is dealing with mysterious serial killings of domestic abuse offenders and knows that she is facing her toughest case yet.

The book was less of a police procedural and more of a dark
Sue
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it

I’ve been anticipating this book for so long.
If you are a book blogger you will understand why I said that.

This is a debut novel, first in a series and boy oh boy what an example of a high standard of work here. It would easily shoot up in the ranks of Best Selling Authors who are already established.

The storyline is fierce, prompt, has pitch, power and pace, just the way I like it to keep my reader juices salivating to read more.

Lucy who is a probation officer for domestic violence is also exp
Paromjit
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Noelle Holten's debut crime fiction certainly packs an emotionally intense punch as she takes us into the world of domestic violence, abusive relationships, dysfunctional families, and damaged individuals. Holten takes us into the lives and interior worlds of both perpetrators and victims, outlining why victims might find it so hard to leave their horrifying relationships, even when they should know better. Whilst this series is billed as the DC Maggie Jamieson series, in this book the central c ...more
Berit☀️✨
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
ᎴᏗᏒᏦ. ᎴᎥᏕᏖᏬᏒᏰᎥᏁᎶ. ᏰᏒᎥᏝᏝᎥᏗᏁᏖ.

Noelle Holten’s debut was dark, disturbing, and brilliant. This is the first book in the DI Maggie Jamison series but it really centered on Lucy a probation officer. Three men have been murdered, three men that were convicted of domestic abuse, three men whose probation officer was Lucy sherwood. When Lucy’s own abusive husband is killed, she becomes the primary suspect. But could Lucy possibly be a killer? And is murder ever justified?

This was less of a crime inves
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am going to try my best to keep this review to the point because this entire read is an experience you don’t want to miss if you enjoy police procedurals!

Maggie Jamieson is an investigator, and her next case involves three domestic abuse offenders found beaten to death.

The main suspect? Lucy Sherwood, a probation officer tied to all three victims. Well, the spotlight really shines on her after her husband is found murdered, and he’s a known abuser as well.

Is Lucy guilty? Will Maggie be able
Dash fan
5☆ Authentic, Page Turner, Highly Recommend!

Wow what a read! Hard to believe it's a Debut!
Dead Inside is a pacy, gritty, at times dark Domestic Crime mystery that kept me on my toes!

DC Maggie Jamieson is new to the Domestic Team (DAHU) and has been tasked to help solve the case of who has been killing off Domestic Abusers.
I mean it's not like I cared that they was being popped off.

Lucy is a Probation officer and finds herself in the thick of the investigation as she has connections to all three
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
I had anticipated this book was going to be good, I just didn't realize how flipping fantastic it was going to be. OMG I loved it! It was way darker than I expected and that is a winner in my book. The graphic details just made this book really stand out in my mind. Noelle Holten knocked it out of the park with this debut.

Admittedly police procedural series are not my favorite go to books, but yet I had to get my hands on this one. What I loved about this is the fine balance between police proce
Amy
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
4.5/5

Nothing makes me more excited than reading a debut and when it’s an exciting, dark and incredibly well written debut? Then I’m over the moon! Dead Inside surely fit the bill and although I had been eagerly awaiting this book for what feels like forever, it was well worth the wait in the end.

I love a book with a large ensemble cast and although this is the first in a new series following Maggie, it was truly Lucy’s story at it’s core. I loved the combination of a classic police procedural an
Helga
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dark, powerful, emotional and compelling and at times an uncomfortable and painful read, Dead Inside is Noelle Holten’s debut novel and is the first in the DC Maggie Jamieson series.
The author having been a probation officer herself, the book has an authenticity and a realistic and honest approach to domestic abuse, the abusers and the abused.

Three men with a history of violence and domestic abuse are murdered. Is this the work of a vigilante or are the killings more personal?
Lucy, who has p
Mark
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Insightful, moving and dramatic!
Lucy is a probation officer, dealing often with men who have beaten their wives and are still a threat to them....but Lucy also has her own terrible hidden secret from colleagues and friends...
3 of these men are found murdered, Maggie Jamieson is on the case, but is anyone really that bothered about these evil men being murdered, and who could have actually done what many had threatened.....Lucy seems to be the ideal suspect, but is she a bit too ideal...
The book
Louise Wilson
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
DC Maggie Jamieson #1

This is the author, Noelle Holten's debut novel. Three domestic abuse offenders have been found dead. Maggie Jamieson is new to the Domestic Evidence Unit. Her first case is to investigate and find out who has beaten the offenders to death. Probation Officer Lucy Sherwood has connection to the three men. Lucy also has a secret,that no one, not even her friends know, she also suffers from domestic abuse from her husband. Noelle Holten was a social worker before becoming a wri
Shalini
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a hard core, dark gritty read which dealt in great detail with domestic abuse, the way men hit women, the scars which the women carried, both physical and mental. It told me how the cops and other disciplinary services were sometimes so helpless, the scrap of paper which was the restraining order was basically useless.

Though this was the cop Maggie Jamieson series, the book described the Probation Officer Lucy's life in great detail and what she went through in her personal and pro
Mandy White
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow - what a debut novel Dead Inside is! Well done Noelle Holten! This book had me absolutely hooked and wanting to keep reading . It deals with a difficult theme but the authors obvious experience in this area was clear. It was realistic and powerful and I really enjoyed reading it. I look forward to more from Maggie Jamieson in the near future, with a start like this one it is going to be a cracking series. I have followed Noelle's reviews for a while now and am so pleased that she is now a pu ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

What a debut this is, and I can easily say I'm looking forward to book 2.

To start with I was struggling a bit as it seemed like a new character was introduced every chapter - and if you are a book blogger you may find a lot of the character names were incredibly familiar. In fact that was possibly what I had the most trouble with initially, as every time a familiar name appeared, I felt pulled out of the book, and was just laughing.

Well that lasted for the first stint of reading the b
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Wow! Wow! I seriously can not believe that this is the authors debut novel!

This is the first book in the DC Maggie Jamieson crime series. What a way to start a series off! Whilst it is a series featuring Maggie and her team, the main character in this story is Lucy. Lucy’s character I loved. She works in probation, of which was a job I didn’t envy her whatsoever, dealing with some offenders that even prison would be to good for them to end up.

Due to the story line dealing with domestic a
The Book Review Café
From the shocking and disturbing prologue I knew this was one of those books I would get so caught up in, and god help anyone who disturbed me whilst I was reading it. Part Domestic noir, part crime thriller this novel was a cracker, when you read as many books as I do in these genres you are always looking for “that” book that offers you that something extra, something that makes it standout out from the crowd, and OMFG the author has certainly managed that.

Domestic abuse is not the easiest sub
Robin Loves Reading
It is with bated breath that I attempt to write this review. As I was reading the pages of this book I felt like I was experiencing what I was reading, although nothing in this book has ever happened to me. However, for some reason, I was amazingly affected by Dead Inside. How an author, a debut author at that, could pen words that could tear my soul apart is one I am honored to read. I did have to take a break from reading for several hours. To say that this touched a cord with me is an und ...more
Samantha Gonsalves
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Dead Inside came highly recommended on Goodreads and after all the hype surrounding it, I succumbed to the temptation. This dark and twisty thriller is Noelle Holten's debut novel and is the first in the DC Maggie Jamieson series. This one of those books that will grab you by the first chapter and won't let you keep the book down, no matter the place or time. It's that good!
When three vicious wife-beaters are found brutally murdered, DC Maggie Jamieson a brilliant and diligent officer of the law
Eva
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Behold Dead Inside, the debut crime novel from fellow blogger Noelle Holten, who as a former probation officer has put her years of experience to incredible use to come up with a dark and disturbing story of domestic abuse.

Dead Inside is the first instalment in the DC Maggie Jamieson series. She has temporarily been transferred to another unit and is forced to hit the ground running when an unsuspecting member of the public finds a dead body in the park. The victim was a convicted domestic abuse
Lou
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the first in a new, exciting police procedural series, DC Maggie Jamieson finds herself at the centre of her most challenging case yet in which the line between good and evil is blurred adeptly. The police are deeply suspicious that there is corruption within the probation service. They aren't sure how high it may go but they believe Probation Officer Lucy Sherwood, who has links to all four of the men found brutally murdered, is hiding a huge, dark secret. So is Lucy really involved, and if ...more
Keith Nixon
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, Noelle Holten's Dead Inside is supposed to be her debut. I'm not so sure about that. This is a polished, pacey and believable crime thriller that draws heavily on the author's 18 years in the probation industry giving the narrative real depth and structure. The characters are strong, particularly the protagonist, Maggie. Although the subject matter is difficult - domestic abuse - it never feels grim and unending. A confident start to a new series (there's a 3 book deal announced now). And, M ...more
Steph Lawrence
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first instalment in a new crime series is always exciting.
Fab debut and a refreshingly different angle for a crime book.
I just couldn’t wait to get my hands on a copy of this. As a book blogger at Crime Book Junkie, Noelle Holten writes a fantastic blog. She obviously knows the secrets of a good story. Being a former probation officer the author has real life knowledge.
The familiarity of character names was unnerving at first, if you’re a blogger you’ll know what I mean, but I soon got used
Betty
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Three men were murdered, and they all had two things in common: a history of domestic violence and Probation Officer Lucy Sherwood. DC Maggie Jamieson and her team are in the midst of their investigation when Lucy's husband becomes the fourth victim. Is it all a terrible coincidence, or is Lucy a killer? The team needs to solve these crimes, and soon... before someone else turns up dead.

I've had the pleasure of reading several unputdownable crime thrillers since I started book blogging, and I've
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

Dead Inside is a brilliantly crafted novel that's fast-paced, punchy and intriguing.

Although it features detectives and police, and various cases which were being investigated (violent abusive men who've been murdered - is there a link?), it feels to me like more of an intense mystery/ drama, rather than your usual crime novel. This is in part because the characters felt so well fleshed out and very convincing, so I could feel myself completely sucked into the
Michelle
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dead Inside by Noelle Holten is her debut novel and the first in the DC Maggie Jamieson series and what a brilliant read it is.
Three men are murdered, and they all have something in common, they both have history of domestic violence and they are all connected to Probation Officer Lucy Sherwood. Lucy deals with domestic violence and is good at her job, but we learn that when she goes home, she suffers the same fate in the hands of her husband Patrick.
It’s DC Maggie Jamieson first case with the
Ruthy lavin
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
You know when you’re really busy but really want to read even though you know you should be doing more productive things.... and for that reason, you’re very grateful that you are reading a book with short chapters? That was the best thing about this book.
I was able to pick it up and put it down as and when I could, without losing any momentum.
To be fair, that wasn’t difficult anyway.
The story was solid but predictable, I had guessed who the perpetrator was as soon as they were introduced to the
Natalie M
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
A reading experience I would put somewhere between a panic room and emotional breakdown!

This is such an intense domestic violence read that at times I felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster; sheer nervousness with and for the characters. Not for the faint-hearted and difficult to read in places as it seemed so accurate and definitely well-researched. A far too real a portrayal for some readers I would imagine.

Despite DC Maggie Jamieson appearing in the first of a series of novels as the p
Julie Lacey
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a fantastic first book.
I loved this and am so glad there’s more to come in this series.
Maggie is on secondment and is soon involved in a murder case.
We also get to know Lucy who works for the Probation service with abusive/violent people and their victims.
Lucy is living her own nightmare as her husband is abusing her and she feels trapped.
Soon another body is found of a known domestic violence criminal and Maggie and the team try to tie the two deaths together.
We also get an insi
Jen
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So. This is interesting. A book I have been looking forward to reading from a long time from an author I know relatively well and someone whose journey from blogger to published author I have been following. It makes it both a great and also scary prospect when you sit down to read as it becomes a question of what happens if you don't enjoy the story and, if I do, will people even believe what I have to say about the book anyway? I could lie and say I've never heard of Noelle's blog, but bloggin ...more
Nicki
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dead Inside is the first in a new series of what looks like are going to be very dark and gritty thrillers/police procedurals featuring DC Maggie Jamieson.She has recently been seconded to a police unit in Staffordshire called DAMU (domestic abuse and homicide unit). Fortunately for readers like me,there wasn't pages and pages of introductions to
the police characters and Maggie getting to know her new colleagues.She quickly fitted into the team who all appeared to be a friendly group,there wasn'

• Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
  • The Other Daughter
  • The Guilty Friend
  • Goodbye My Precious Child (DI Sally Parker #6)
  • I Know You're There
  • The Lies We Tell (Madison Attallee #2)
  • Cold is the Caller (DI Bethany Smith #1)
  • The Choice
  • The Dancing Girls (Detective Jo Fournier, #1)
  • Overkill (DCI Matilda Darke, #5)
  • The Anglesey Murders: Unholy Island
  • The Sleepover (Detective Natalie Ward #4)
  • Taken to the Grave (Detective Jo Fournier, #2)
  • Blood Rites (DI Kelly Porter, #6)
  • Killing Mind (D.I. Kim Stone #12)
  • Like, Follow, Kill
  • The Suffering of Strangers (Anderson & Costello, #9)
  • The Poison Garden
Noelle Holten is an award-winning blogger at www.crimebookjunkie.co.uk. She is the PR & Social Media Manager for Bookouture, a leading digital publisher in the UK, and was a regular reviewer on the Two Crime Writers and a Microphone podcast. Noelle worked as a Senior Probation Officer for eighteen years, covering a variety of cases including those involving serious domestic abuse. She has three Ho ...more

DC Maggie Jamieson (3 books)
  • Dead Wrong (DC Maggie Jamieson #2)
  • Dead Perfect

News & Interviews

“You just never knew what people were capable of and what others might be hiding.” 0 likes
“There was nothing worse than a boss who was only interested in furthering their own career, often to the detriment of their team.” 0 likes