Start by marking “The Blame Game” as Want to Read:
The Blame Game

The Blame Game

The gripping new thriller from the author of I KNOW MY NAME

He said he’d do anything to protect her.

She said she’d do anything to protect her family.

And they both said they would forget what happened twenty-two years ago.

But now it seems that there is someone who will stop at nothing to make them remember…

Who is playing the blame game?

Published March 7th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Blame Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blame Game

Start your review of The Blame Game
Liz Barnsley
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Blame Game was an atmospheric family drama with a psychological thriller twist, a story about the aftermath of a tragedy that affects the whole lives of those involved.
We follow one family, on holiday, where things start to become a little strange. It becomes obvious that this is a family hiding from a past that is about to come back to haunt them…
Often an emotional read, C J Cooke explores themes of survivor guilt and responsibility, family ties and inner personalities, at the same time
Carolyn
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I started reading this months ago and couldn’t get into it, but about a third of the way in, the pace picked up and it turned into a really interesting story!
Carol Peace
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow this was definitely a fast paced and compelling page turner. It has taken me a few days to get my comments together after finishing the book so here is my opinion of the book.
Helen and Michael are on holiday trying to put behind them a fire that has ruined their livelyhood but the surprising thing is that they seem to have someone following them and whilst they had a great holiday with the children Reuben and Saskia they were on edge the whole time and when it came to returning home there
Gail
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Helen and Michael on a dream holiday with their children, Reuben and Saskia. The family believe they are being watched and on their way to the airport for their return journey home, there is a tragic accident which has life changing consequences.

Whilst in hospital their family and lives begin to fall apart. As the story moves between Helen and Michael’s past and the whole family in the present, we slowly discover the underlying plot when Michael and Helen initially met. This has a dramatic
Melody
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Helen and Michael are spending a wonderful vacation at Belize with their two children when Helen starts to feel they're being watched. On their way to the airport upon returning home, a van crashed onto their car and the accident left Michael injured and their young daughter, Saskia, in a coma. Although Helen and their teenage autistic son, Reuben, are left unscathed, Helen couldn't help but to wonder if the accident has something to do with her hunch of someone watching them.

Well, Helen has
Bridget
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Blame Game by C. J. Cooke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From the moment I turned on my e-reader, I was totally absorbed in this book! I loved that it was written from the perspective of different characters who find out that maybe they didn't know each other as well as they first thought. The Blame Game was a powerful and very suspenseful story with increasingly surprising twists and turns. Set in Belize, it was an atmospheric family drama with a great psychological thriller element and a story
Kerry Bridges
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Helen, Michael and their children are on holiday but their lives are changed dramatically when they are involved in a road traffic accident. Suddenly, there are questions? Was the accident really an accident and, if not, was it to do with what happened to Helen and Michael 22 years ago?

This is a very light read which promised much but just didn't set the world on fire for me. I think the trouble is that the big "secret" isn't really a secret and was not only predictable but actually should never
Holly
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I initially liked this one. But I realized that the book was already way past the 50% mark and nothing was happening. Sure there was a mystery but I wasn't particularly interested. I felt that something was lacking and I only really wanted to know who the f was messing with them.

I disliked the characters. They were boring and could have been any other person in the story except for their relationship with one another, which was their only defining feature. I think it's this one that did it for
Dana
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
Well, a very different book, which I read in the course of one day! The story is told from the perspective of Helen and Michael in 2017 but with flashbacks to 1995. What happens in 1995 dictates the rest of Helen and Michael's lives. It impacts on Reuben, their autistic son and Saskia, their young daughter, It is fascinating that because they did not deal with what happened in 1995 there are serious consequences and a lack of honesty. They seem to spend their lives running from themselves.
Many
Anne Robinson
This was an interesting book with a lot of twists and turns. A family - mother, father, son (with ASD), daughter - appear to be on a holiday in South America. Things seem to be fairly conventional and then events happen which overturn everything. Interwoven with a traumatic past, the book switches between the present and the historic point of view and the plot accelerates to a gripping conclusion. It is difficult to say much more without giving too much away.

As a mother of a son with ASD, I
Janet Louise
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. From the get go all I did was eat, sleep and dream this book.

The author has made sure the book is well researched all aspects and because of this you feel the real life situations as if living them.

The plot for the story holds you fast. With each twist and turn of the story you feel that you have some ideas of were the story is going. The complexity of the characters and their reasons for being bring home a deeper understanding of just what you will do for those
Gillian Moore
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Blame Game by C.J Cooke
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
‘They both said they would forget what happened Twenty two years ago. But it seems that there is someone who will stop at nothing to make them remember’. •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
My second novel from this author and it was another cracker. An absolute crazy thrill ride set in the Beautiful country of Belize, which was a nice refreshing change. A family on the run but from whom? A fast paced and creepy psychological
Paula
Sep 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Louise Bartrip
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book goes backwards and forwards between 1995 and an awful climbing accident and 2017 where 2 of the people there that day are now married. It follows them to Mexico and how an awful event there changes their lives. Thought this was a very well written book.
Maggie
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I read previous book by this author and enjoyed it. Found this one well written and kept me reading to see what would happen. I thought the different character perspectives kept it interesting. There were twists and turns along the way. I would recommend this one.
Marilyn Boyle-Taylor
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent example of the genre, and I am interested in reading other books by this author.
EG
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Fast paced and very well researched.
Victoria
Would read another by this author
Shorty6904
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was worth a read although slow in places I did manage to finish it.
Rhona
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

Decent weekend cottage read.
Sarah Melitzer
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm in a slump of low 3***'s lately.
This was okay, but nothing really special. The resolution was a little wonk-a-donk, and kinds felt like a cop-out. Again, I was just hoping for more...
Jamie
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book and journey of a family with great secrets and the book has good twists too.
Shirley O'donovan
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Slow to start but once I got into it I couldn't put it down.
Hayley
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
C. J. Cooke is one of my favourite authors so I always look forward to a new book from her and I’m happy to say her latest book was fab! It follows a family who are on what seems to be a dream holiday but odd things start to happen. They feel they are being watched, and something just isn’t quite right. Then on their way home an accident happens and from there things begin to unravel. The novel is told in two timelines – the present day and then 22 years ago when Helen and Michael met and a ...more
Lindsay