Start by marking “The Taken Girls” as Want to Read:
The Taken Girls

The Taken Girls

‘Wonderfully chilling… Five stars!’ Netgalley reader

Someone is watching them…

When a missing teenage girl reappears unharmed but pregnant, the case falls to DI Edina Ogborne, the newest recruit of Canterbury Police. But Ed’s already got her hands full with a team who don’t want her, an ex who won’t quit, and terrible guilt over a secret from her past.

As Ed investigates

Published December 13th 2018 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Taken Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taken Girls

Dash fan
3.5☆ A Unique Crime Plot
(Rounded down to a 3☆ for Amazon and Goodreads)

The Taken Girls is a debut book in a new crime fiction series.

I had mixed feelings when reading this book.
I found the beginning introduction to DI Ed Ogborne a little disjointed. I felt at times, it was like I was reading a second or third book, and I wasn't being given the full story.
Don't get me wrong it's ok to keep the reader guessing but when it's a new Book I want to be able to warm to my characters quiet quickly.

But
Gary
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an exciting new novel by new author G.D.Sanders, and is one to look out for in the future.
In this novel a missing teenage girl reappears unharmed but pregnant and the case is given to DI Edina Ogborne, the newest recruit of Canterbury Police. New girl Ed is already struggling to win over her new team and further personal secrets from her past.
When Ed investigates the case she discovers Canterbury has seen this crime several times before. And when Ed and her detectives encounter missing h
Louise Wilson
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a debut novel featuring DI Edina Ogborne who is stationed at the Canterbury police force. Ed (Edina) has just been transferred to Canterbury from the Met. She investigating the abduction of a sixth form schoolgirl, Lucy Naylor. As the investigation progresses, they discover links to two other abductions.

I was intrigued straight away when I read the blurb for this book. An "abducted girl" that looked like it was going to be different to similar stories. The first half of the book was goo
Lou
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The Taken Girls, the first novel in the DI Edina "Ed" Ogborne series set in Canterbury, is a tale of duplicity and secrets, but I'm afraid it fell flat for me. The premise sounded unique and interesting and could've equated to a compelling read, however, there was a real lack of tension, and I never found myself all that bothered about following the investigation or finding out what had happened and who the perpetrator was. What would've helped significantly in making the story exciting and comp ...more
Elaine Tomasso
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Avon Books UK for an advance copy of The Taken Girls, a debut novel featuring DI Edina “Ed” Ogborne of the Canterbury Police.

Ed is about to start her new job as Detective Inspector in Canterbury following a transfer from the Met when teenager Lucy Naylor is abducted. Keen to get off on a good foot she starts early and plunges into the case but there is little to go on. When Lucy turns up a month later, pregnant and unharmed, like two others before her, the tea
Caitlyn Lynch
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, thriller
Arriving at a new posting in Canterbury, DI Edina ‘Ed’ Ogborne is thrust straight into the middle of a big case - a young woman has gone missing. It’s quickly apparent that the case bears similarities to a similar one from four years ago, and Ed must try to integrate with a new team which resent her arrival and try to solve the case before a tragedy occurs.

The villain in The Taken Girls is an interesting character, one who experiences no sexual desire for his victims, just an obsession with havi
peggy
What a debut book. I was hooked from the first page and finished this book in one sitting.
Someone is abducting teenage girls and the reason is chilling.
It is upto DI Ed Ogbourne who has been transferred from the Met to her new post in Canterbury after an indiscretion with a senior colleague. The move has come with a promotion and this is her first case in charge. This is a great police procedural, it has plenty of suspects and a really good storyline. Again i had no idea who the abducter was un
Breakaway Reviewers
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
An exciting and twisty plot.

Three girls go missing, two are returned seemingly unscathed. But no attempt is made to find or apprehend the perpetrator. Despite the lack of evidence and hardly any substance to work from, Ed Ogborne is convinced that the third girl was taken by the same sick psychopath. Will she suffer the same consequences as the other girls?

Ed Ogborne is the new Detective Inspector with the Canterbury Criminal Investigation Department. Born in Brixton, her goal is to develop he
Amanda
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read the synopsis for ‘The Taken Girls’ and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a copy. I soon got hold of a copy and I started reading as soon as I could. Boy oh boy, ‘The Taken Girls’ is certainly a read and a half and I thoroughly enjoyed it but more about that in a bit.
I am not entirely sure what to make of Detective Inspector Edina Ogborne. She is a young and very ambitious police officer. For example, she wanted to make the rank of Detective Inspector by the age of 27. She seems to be an
Elizabeth
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Someone is watching them…

As Ed investigates the case, she discovers Canterbury has seen this crime not once, but several times before. And when Ed and her detectives encounter missing historic police files, falsified school r
Rachel
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
A new DI, abducted girls, a serial weirdo and office tensions - all the makings of a good thriller. DI Ogborne has moved to Canterbury from the Met and is thrown into her first case of an abducted girl who is never found but turns up randomly, unharmed claiming she has been treated well.

Deja Vu hits and again, another girl is taken, only this time the realisation hits, thanks to the local paper, that this is indeed not the first abduction or even the second, it is the third. With no real leads,
Michael Cayley
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Shunted out of the Metropolitan police force after a short fling with a more senior officer, Edina, known as Ed, joins the team of detectives at Canterbury. There she investigates the abduction of a sixth-form schoolgirl. As she does so, links emerge with two other abductions in the previous ten years.

As so often with books of this genre, there are aspects of the denouement which are not wholly convincing. Again, as is frequently the case, complications caused by Ed’s personal life seem forced a
Donna Maguire

I enjoyed this story and the cover really caught my attention.

This is the first book in a new series, it was a good introduction to the characters and I did enjoy the plot, it was a different take on the standard abduction plots that I normally see and the twist made it standout for me..

The pace was good but I did feel as though it slowed a little in the middle but it did pick up again towards the end and made for an entertaining read.

3.5 stars from me rou
Paula Sealey
The premise for this story sounded interesting, but sadly there was a general lack of tension throughout the book and the action was thin on the ground. The protagonist immediately ruffled my feathers! She had reached the heights of Detective Inspector, but was portrayed as someone who makes poor decisions and 'sleeps around'. I expect a much stronger female lead in my books these days. The story was interesting enough to keep me reading but there was no excitement in reaching the conclusion. I ...more
Cristie Underwood
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The author wrote a thriller that started with a bang and just kept going! The twists kept coming, so I couldn't put it down. I cannot wait to read more from this author!
Neil
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.
Great characters and story made this a book I could not put down.
This was thoroughly entertaining.
Chrissie
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant debut book ,I really enjoyed reading this abduction story ,with its twists and turns being investigated by DI "Ed" Ogborne transferred from the Met to Canterbury..She is a newbie and has to make an impact on her first case with her new team .The story gripped me from the first chapter and moved along at a fast pace making it one of those books that is hard to put down ! There are young girls being abducted but they are returned a few weeks later safe and sound .Why ?What is the ...more
Stina
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
THE TAKEN GIRLS is the debut book by G.D. Saunders and the first in a series featuring newly promoted DI Edina "Ed" Ogborne. And wow, what a great debut. After a couple of average books I found myself caught up in the storyline very quickly, finding myself unable to put it down.

DI Ogborne has been transferred out of the Met due to an indiscretion with a senior officer and it still being much of an old boys' club, was sent off to a posting with Canterbury CID in Kent...a post sweetened with the d
Joan
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Talented and ambitious detective Edina Ogborne (known as Ed) is transferred from the Met to Canterbury Police Station as a slight slap on the wrist, but with the promise that the doors will be open for her return in the future when the dust settles. The silver lining is her promised promotion to Detective Inspector, but the bad news, that she only finds out about when she arrives, is that she is replacing another D I, already resident. His team give her a frosty welcome. He is clearly very popul ...more
Elli (Kindig Blog)
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Missing teenagers and a race against the clock are DI Edina Ogbourne’s welcome party to her transferral to Canterbury – but can she stop the villain before it’s too late?

I am a bit unsure how to feel about this new police procedural series with main character DI Edina Ogbourne. On one hand it’s refreshing to have a police novel that doesn’t centre around a jaded, grizzled, older male detective with commitment issues who only has time and love for his job. On the other hand Ed is a little… well…
John Purvis
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The Taken girls" eBook was published in 2018 and was written by G. D. Sanders (https://www.fantasticfiction.com/s/g-...). This is Mr. Sander's first novel.

I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I categorize this novel as ‘PG’ because it contains scenes of Mature Language and Mature Situations. The story is set in contemporary England. The primary character is Detective Edina Ogborne.

Ogborne has just been transferred to the Cant
Nicola Smith
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's a refreshing difference to the crimes in The Taken Girls. A teenage girl has been taken but isn't being harmed in any way, except she's pregnant and doesn't know how it can have happened (yes, really!). It turns out that this is not the first time that this has happened and DI Edina Ogborne is the one tasked to lead a team in the search for the perpetrator.

Ed, as she likes to be known, is newly promoted to the DI job and new to the force in Canterbury, after being forced to leave the Met
Margaret Duke-Wyer
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
In her debut novel, we are introduced to DI Edina ‘Ed’ Ogborne who following an affair with a more senior officer has been transferred from the Met to Canterbury. From the outset you can tell that this rankles with Ed who views this as a punishment to be endured even though she has also been promoted. Clearly she must adapt to her new team as well as her senior officers and find a new home to boot. As expected, her boss, although female, is difficult from the start; as for the team, well what ca ...more
Hana Correa
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Taken Girls is a novel with a truly odd villain. The story begins in 2010 when a teenage girl is abducted. Despite the best efforts of the police, the girl remains missing for over 30 days. Suddenly, without warning, the girl is returned, seemingly unharmed. For 10 years, the abductor remained silent and no more girls go missing. Then in present day, the Canterbury police are given a fresh challenge when a new teenage girl suddenly goes missing. The case falls to Edina Ogbourne. She has just ...more
Signe
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Review:

The premise of The Taken Girls start off well, the proluge was interesting and you instantly wanted to know more. Then we're introduced to DI Edina - Ed Ogborne of the Canterbury Police.

Ed Ogborne starts her new job just as teenager Lucy Naylor is abducted. Ed and her fellow di's dive into the case, but they have little to go on, until Lucy turns up about a month later - completely unharmed, yet pregnant.

The detective find out that two girls before Lucy have been abducted and similarly
Beth
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
A missing teenager reappears unharmed but pregnant. D.I Edina Ogborne is put on the case and soon finds out that this has happened twice before. The pressure is on to find the culprit and stop it happening to the newest missing girl.

I struggled with this book. The writing style wasn’t really for me. I found it long-winded and repetitive. It could have been cut down a lot to make it a more enjoyable read. I seemed to be reading for hours with not much happening and there was no suspense. I never
Vicki - I Love Reading
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
4.5

An interesting protagonist and a decent story line, once I had started and gotten into this book, I really enjoyed it. Learning about new characters, getting know what makes them tick, why they act the way they do, is always interesting when starting a new book.
This book certainly makes you think the whole of the way through it. Although it felt a little unusual, it was very enjoyable.
For a debut, I think the author has done exceptionally well and should be very proud of what they have achi
Maggie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having got herself in a bit of trouble at the Met, Edina (Ed) Ogbourne reluctantly accepts a new posting to Canterbury even if it does mean a promotion. However when she arrives she finds that her promotion is not signed & sealed & the detective she is replacing hasn't left yet!

She doesn't have much time to dwell on things as she is soon working on a rather strange case. A schoolgirl goes missing. When looking into previous similar cases it seems that after being missing for a few weeks
Claire
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fantastic debut novel! Full of twists and turns and comes with plenty of suspects to keep you guessing.

The story follows Ed a detective who basically has to take the blame/fall after having an indiscretion with a senior colleague, transferred to Canterbury to become an detective Inspector she is thrown head first into a kidnapping/missing girl investigation which only gets more chilling and sinister as the novel progresses.

As I said at the beginning of this review this book has a fant
Allyson
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, the Publisher and the author for the opportunity to read this book in return for a review based upon my honest opinion.

This is the first book I have read by this author and it was very enjoyable. This book had a good plot with lots of twists and turns. When a missing girl reappears, unharmed but pregnant, DI Edina Ogborne is on the case and discovers that this has happened a few time previously, and no one has been any the wiser as to what has happened. As she delves into
« previous 1 3 4 next »