Start by marking “Brain Child” as Want to Read:
Brain Child

Brain Child

Book by Saul, John
Published 1985 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Brain Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brain Child

Start your review of Brain Child
Phil
Aug 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Another typical Saul novel-- ok verging on good, but not great. Saul has a very distinct formula he utilizes for all its worth. A. Small town. B. Family with a teenager. C. Something happens and tears the family apart. In this installment (and I think that is fair) La Paloma is the small town, and the family (the Lonsdales) have a teenage son named Alex. Alex gets involved in a serious car wreck and it technically brain dead. However, a brilliant brain surgeon steps in to save the day. Yet, Alex ...more
Lancelot du Lac
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Okayish. Not excellent and not very bad either. This is my third John Saul book (after Blackstone Chronicles and Black Lightning) and I found this one to be teeming with banal stuff. Also, after reading previews or so-called "teasers" of his other novels, I can come to a conclusion that most of his novels involve teens-gone-bad and after you find a pattern in his writing, things start appearing to be repetitive. Besides this, I found some of those over-rated jump scares to be very funny and not ...more
Kelley
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting story! Despite being published in 1985, it wasn't all that dated.
Gary Reads
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
John Saul never disappoints me
Diana
Sep 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a bit different than what John Saul usually writes. I mean, of course, there are crimes and suspense moments, all wrapped in a shroud of mystery but still... I realised by reading this book that, after all, the soul is what makes us human: the experiences we've been through, the emotions we've learned to express. And if something can interfere with our humanity and our empathy towards others is not knowing to forgive and forget.
Teresa
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
A typical Saul book, and they are great 1980 style horror books.
As with all Saul books, leave yourself a period of time between each one as he is a formula writer.

Fun horror.
Patrice Hoffman
This book was a fairly simple read about a teen who'd gotten into a horrible car accident. After a brain-saving operation is performed, the teen survives. On the surface he appears to be the old Alex Lonsdale that everyone wants him to be, minus feelings. The kid has no feelings at all. And if that isn't creepy enough, he's suddenly a super-genius. He's able to store and recall any information he's given like a computer.

The book is a farely easy read and I was able to breeze through it pretty q
Marianneboss
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Evil doctor with evil plans and an evil experiment...and you know the rest of the story if you've read a John Saul book before.
Nothing new under the sun.
Also, the author is a cheater, he writes a character giving it some thoughts and treats that drastically change towards the end making it seem it was like that since the beginning but it doesn't make any sense since it's supposed to be an omniscent narrator (view spoiler)
R
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gloria Piper
Alex, a popular high school student, suffers extensive brain damage in a car accident. His parents release what appears to be a brain-dead boy to the care of Dr. Torres, an innovative brain surgeon. Dr. Torres succeeds to the extent that Alex revives, suddenly brilliant but without memory or emotions. Then a seed of evil that stems from an ancient wrong invades Alex's brain, and the question arises: is Dr. Torres a hero or a devil?

The story has a Twilight Zone feel. The viewpoints are many, and
Bev
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was another excellent read by John Saul. I enjoy the way the author constructs this story as it is an older book, the technology aspect of this read was fascinating and incredibly creative. This is the second book I read by this author in a little over 24 hours and, with good reason. Once I startb his books I just can't tear myself away. Another reminder why I began to look foward to his books many moons ago. I will definitely be combing the bookstore for more of his books as even after all ...more
Celeste Magnificent
Jun 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book picked up a little bit after the brain surgery but overall the plot moved too slowly for my liking. None of the characters were likeable or memorable. When characters were killed toward the end of the book, I wondered to myself, "Who was that?"

Without giving too much away, the moral of this story is be careful who you're rude to in high school-- they may grow up to be influential and hold a grudge.

I give this one star.
Sam
Jul 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star
I didn't even finish it. It bored the crap out of me. Very seldom do I not finish a book once I start it but this time I just couldn't finish it. I tried to read the book but I just couldn't do it. It was sooooo bad. Hell the book deserves half a star.

Not really anybody's idea of a good start to the year on reading. No one wants to start their year reading a book that sucks ass...well I did so it can only get better.
Ricci
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think I just found a new to me favorite author. This was the first John Saul book I have ever read and LOVED it. This book was about a teenager that got into a really bad accident and had a brain surgery that turned him into someone else. Creepy goodness. I didn't want to sleep until this one was finished.
Holger  C Andersen
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked the book very much.
A science fiction book can develop in any direction the author might want, and thats whats happening here.
Whats happening in the book is totally unrealistic, but I had some nice hours in the company of the brain child.
Rebecca McNutt
May 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Interesting, but nothing special, and much of it just dragged on to the point where it became perpetually dull and boring. I liked the vibrant writing style of the intro, but otherwise a lot of this book was just filler.
Katrin
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty interesting but at the end led me to think again that there could be a sequel.
Tracey
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book! It threw you in all directions so you didn't know the outcome until the end. I loved it and highly recommend this book!
Dawn Leitheuser
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
OMG!! What a nightmare! Engrossing and terrifing
Aggrey Sambay
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it alot. it was like watching a science fiction movie
Benjamin Stahl
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it
There isn't that much to be said about John Saul. I mean, I remember coming randomly across him in a second-hand bookstore, (which is how my bullshit personal story to every book I read seems to start), and being mildly captivated by the images on all his books. His titles are pretty lame - (The Unloved!! The Unwanted!! Comes The Blind Fury!! Punish The Sinners!!) - but I couldn't resist the cheesy goosebumps vibe I got from reading the backslaps. No, I said backflaps, you fucking ...

First Saul
Jenna
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I was told that I would like this author. But the first book I read by him did not make me want to read anymore of his books. Then I found two of his books cheap at a thrift store and thought let's see if they are better. I was not surprised at how outdated it was in computer terms and medical talk, being as it was wrote in 1985, but I was surprised at the story concept. When I started reading it I was sucked into the Mexican story and the cheeky teen story and all the teen things that happened. ...more
Richard K. Wilson
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Well, having been a John Saul fan from the date of the publishing of his first horror novel, Punish The Sinners, I have read and loved every single word that he has written. With this being another one, that I had not read since 1985, I enjoyed the horror and suspense all over again as if experiencing it for the first time. When the story starts, 16 year old Alex Lonsdale is getting ready to attend his first junior prom in La Paloma California and this will start and turn into the night that wil ...more
David H.
Sep 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading John Saul's "Brain Child" despite it's ridiculous premise and underdeveloped characters. The book reads fast (even for a slow reader like myself). I can overlook flaws better than most people, but a slow moving story drives me mad. If John Saul had dragged this story out for another two hundred pages, I would of lost what's left of my mind.

I wish I had read this book shortly after it was published. Back in the 1980's, I worked as a computer programmer for a bank. I believed tha
Ais Dareth
Almost disappointing, but not!

I'm not a fan of stories where people feel justified to wrong others of a certain class because their ancestors were wronged by this class of people way back when. With that said, this story almost plunges into that...but surfaces out of it in a very interesting way. It's a "monster" story in a fresh new sense.

Lots of build up and back story, but it didn't really drag on, and it felt necessary. Also I was pleased with the ending, to know my guess at an underlying ca
Nick Lenco
This book is dated and fairly banal. The characters are boring and two dimensional and the setting and background are too specific to be appealing to a broad group of readers. The ending switches it from science fiction to horror but basically it is a very, very long short story with an overly simplistic plot.
Lisa
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book ahead of its time. A story that now doesn't seem so far fetched at all. Fairly moving with decent character development. Saul makes the reader care about a character that is devoid of emotions. It's through others we know what is missing, as does the character. Very good. Enjoyed this quite a bit.
Shannon Glen
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Good horror writer along with Stephen King and Dean Koontz. Reread this book to get ready to donate to the local library. Looking forward to rereading more of his. This was a good story and really made believable by inserting a technology theme. Good characterization of the main characters, but I liked one of the secondary characters better.
℉₳ℨ
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I totally loved this book ! It is a simple read a real page turner. It wasn't spine chilling by any means- it just kept me going I wanted to know what happened next. An easy read to take on holiday and leave by the pool when your done.
Ryan Morris
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
enjoyed this book Saul is a great writer when he gets going he can compete with stephen King easy the best john Saul book I have read yet can't say I've read a bad one yet though I am defo a fan now on to the next one
« previous 1 3 next »

• Darkfall
  • The Woods Are Dark
  • The Town
  • Phantoms
John Saul grew up in Whittier California where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he decided the best thing for a college dropout to