Start by marking “Crashing Upwards” as Want to Read:
Crashing Upwards

Crashing Upwards

2019 Lambda Gay Romance Winner!

Harper Jones is a professional bike courier, and in his business if you don’t ride fast, you don’t make money. His apartment has mice, he’s barely able to scrape up the rent, but at least he’s living life on his terms and doesn’t depend on anyone.

Sam Foster is the gay son of a wealthy conservative senator. He’s noticed Harper before when he’s
Published October 2nd 2018 by Wynne Wynne Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Crashing Upwards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crashing Upwards

Start your review of Crashing Upwards
DarienMoya
The Story: 2 Pants Off

How it went: I don’t believe in love cuz I trust nobody......

PSYCH! I do be believing in love and I love you....

How it went some more: You give me the courage to be better and I’m ready to come out to my overbearing father. I love you and we have each others backs.

PSYCH! My dad said you’re an extortionist and I believe him (a little)...

LOVE IS DEAD!!

description

The narration: 3.5 Pants Off

No difference between the MC voices.
Debra
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet, opposites attract romance.

Sam is the son of a well-to-do conservative politician. He has led a privileged life, works for his father, but the good in people and devotes a lot of his time to doing charity work. He doesn't agree with his father, but has been playing the part of the dutiful son, keeping his sexuality a secret so as not to put-off dad's biggest donors. He's tried to address it with dear old dad, but really hasn't had a reason to push. Not until he hits Harper with
Susan
Jun 06, 2019 marked it as dnf
DNF at 32%

The dialogue feels strange and simplistic. Also, nothing actually happens. Now I’m all for some good hurt/comfort, but this just felt off to me.
ReadingAllNite
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

This is a light, fluffy romance with no angst and some drama but a heartwarming ending. The pacing was sort of slow with a lot of repetitive back and forth over Sam’s money. The dad was unlikeable but not a villain, keeping the story on a realistic level. A nice, uncomplicated story worth reading.
Caz
I've given this a B for narration and a C- for content at AudioGals, so I'm calling that 3.5 stars

Crashing Upwards is a fairly low-drama romance by a new-to-me author, and I picked up the audio to review partly because some of my online friends enjoyed the book, partly because it’s a LAMBDA award winner, and partly because Kale Williams is narrating. I suspect that the award-winner status raised my expectations somewhat, because while the story is engaging enough, it doesn’t really have anything
Nikki
Jun 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shannon
3.5*

I feel kind of funny "tagging" this book as "meet-cute", considering Sam hit Harper with his car, but I mean, that is a unique way of meeting someone! Although Sam already knew who Harper was...

Crashing Upwards was a sweet story, albeit a little frustrating with all the back and forth between the two main characters. Not that I can blame Harper for his hesitancy, though, when it came to letting Sam take care of him. Sam wouldn't take no for an answer, while Harper had a hard time saying yes.
Manfred
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I noticed this story after it received a Lambda award and the blurb sounded nice, it was on KU here in Germany, so I decided to give it a try and I was not disappointed.
Harper is a bike courier, who hardly makes enough money for a living, Sam is the son of a conservative Senator, so of course he's loaded...
When Harper is run over by Sam's car and needs to go to hospital, Sam takes care of him, even moving in to support Harper after the hospital stay.
Even though they are from completely different
Joelle
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Joelle by: SH-Book Published in October
What a fun ride...

I knew from the minute I read the blurb that this would be a great book. I liked Sam right away. He was a stand up guy and really sweet in his desire to help Harper. His dad, on the other hand, was awful. I seriously wanted to punch him in the face when he came into Harper's hospital room. That feeling got worst when I saw what a jerk he was to Sam.

I really liked the premise of this book. I liked Harper's independent nature and though I hated how he kept pushing Sam away, I un
Ricardo
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pretty average story. Nothing terribly wrong with it but also nothing really exceptional or memorable
Jess
Light
4.25 / 5 Stars

I really enjoy this author's stories, different but always showing the love.

Sam and Harper have great chemistry, which is the opening for a slow-burn romance, but a few obstacles between them: Harpers's distrust, Sam's meddlesome father, insecurities and doubts all over the place and a couple of misunderstandings. Either way, I liked both of them and felt especially more for Harper due to his issues.

The story is quick, sweet and low-angst, heart-warming with some very sweet moments
Escape_in_a_Book
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is a very easy and fast read. I feel like the premise had so much potential which unfortunately the body of pages did not live up to. There is little to no character development. The world this plays out in felt very flat and one dimensional. At times I felt like I was reading an early draft of a still being worked on novel.
Arshad Ahsanuddin
3.5 Stars. Very nice romance, well executed.
Earlyn
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Coming out

This was a Cinderella story. Boy hits boy, the driver is rich so of course the other boy is working class. Minimal job prospects. Rich boy takes care of him . Maybe it was just me but I found this book on the cheesy side sorry for anyone who likes it.

Jeanine Beaulieu St Pierre
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Never turn down a gift

A great love story is this book ,the truth shall always come out,,,I believe the couple in this book found out the easy way.The author has written a great book
Da'ad
Loved it! The chemistry and the sweetness and the simple yet awesome injured hero plotline, mixed with slow burn freinds to lovers. I'm there for it all.

And one hella lovable cinnamon roll rich hero, too. Precious! The delightful angst didn't hurt any either.
Terri Jones
May 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this, but the rather clunky writing style was getting to me, and then presumption from the MC with the most power killed my interest. DNF at 43% I find it hard to believe this won an award. It reads a bit like a first novel, though the author'd been published awhile by the time it came out. Anyway, it wore on me, and then that thing that probably felt like a threat just slammed the door on my interest. ...more
Joscelyn Smith
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Crashing into love

I'm not gonna lie, Sam had to grow on me. He was just so damn pushy but that turned out to be just what Harper needed and I did enjoy seeing Sam break down Harper's walls. All in all a very enjoyable read.
Erika B.
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this age-old love story, boy meets boy, boys fall in love. But this typical romance has an atypical beginning. Harper, a bike courier, is hit by the Senator’s son, Sam Foster. When Harper is unable to continue work because of his injuries, Sam takes it upon himself to nurse Harper back to health. Can the boys make their new-found love last between Harper’s trust issues and the Senator’s insistence that Harper is nothing but a con-artist out for their family’s money?

This book was AH-MAZING! So
Rae Percy
Jan 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
Again another book where consent seems a loose concept. Few times where one character clearly stated he didn't want anything to continue but the second continued to push.

It felt a bit like the start of an abusive relationship with the continuing forcefulness of the "hero". Let me pay for everything, let me buy the thing for you, let me be in control of finances. I was very much on Harper's side about the independence necessary in his life.

I would have run a mile from someone hitting me with the
Tena
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story grabs your attention with the first line. Even though it's not what one might expect as the opening line for a romance novel, it absolutely hooked me and set the pace for the whole story. There’s an intense vibe that kept me turning the pages and made me not want to put it down. Immediately, we find out that Sam has just hit Harper, a bike messenger, with his car, sending him to the hospital. Sam feels horrible about this and readily accepts responsibility, offering to pay for everyth ...more
Kim Krogh
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished reading one book about one guy doing something good for a fellow man and fall in love with him. I don't really know witch book I liked the best, but let me tell you, this one is absolutely amazing.

Harper is a biker courier, by accident he gets run over but Sam whos been having a crush from afar on Harper for a while. Despite his fathers warnings that Harper is set out to exploit Sam, Sam still wants to take care of Harper and help him get back on his feet before he can retur
JenCW
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

Sam is the son of a conservative politician. He accidentally hits Harper with his car one day and feels the need to take care of him as he heals up from his injuries. Sam has had a crush on Harper since he saw Harper deliver packages to his father's office, but they didn't met until the accident.

Harper has been alone a long time and has serious trust issues. He also doesn't want to be beholden to Sam or take his money, but has no choice now that he can't work. Sam's genuineness and pe
Rachelle
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet book that makes you feel all warm and cozy inside.

This is a story of two very opposite men, fighting their way through life and finding love, even against the odds. Sam is the kind of man that always tries to do the right thing, and when he accidentally runs over his "crush from afar", well there's only one thing left to do...nurse him back to health. However, Harper has been very independent since he was a teen, he's had no other choice. So can Harper accept someone constantly bein
Kathryn Manzella
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When a son of a politician accidently hits a bike messager, he decides to help the gorgeous man, who he has been crushing on for months, heal up. Against his father's wishes, Sam forges a connection with Harper. But what happens when their relationship hurts his dad's career and rumors threaten the love they have found?
I love how Sam and Harper are opposites attracting, find love regardless of obsticles. The story is entertaining with likeable characters that deserve a happily ever after.

I rece
Renee
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sam is a closeted senator’s son. When he accidentally hits the bike messenger he’s been crushing on from afar, he is compelled to help him out. Harper is barely getting by and a downtime to heal would wipe him out. He reluctantly accepts Sam’s help.

Sweet and sexy mm romance. While Sam’s point of view is definitely shaded by privilege, he is endearing and not overbearing. Harper is proud and doesn’t take advantage of Sam’s generosity. I liked the realistic portrayal of the upper class vs the lowe
Katie Townsend
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crashing upwards was such a wonderful story I loved it so much

Harper and Sam stole my heart from the moment I met them

I felt everything these guys were going through their ups downs laughter tears intensity heartbreaking moments and heartwarming moments

I was so excited to see what was going to happen from one chapter to the next Harper and Sam journey was incredible moving beautiful and powerful i loved every minute
Dixiecowgirl
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sam and Harper are awesome!

Sweet, steamy, honest, intense and interesting! This is a fun read with lots of great interactions as these two very different men learn to share space and then themselves.

I loved the way that they learned about each other and their vastly different lifestyles. I loved Sam's openness and innate goodness and i loved Harper's courage. Together these guys will renew your faith in love, honesty and having each others' back.
Debby
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cute read

Crashing Upwards was a entertaining story about two guys from different backgrounds falling in love. While out doing his messenger deliveries Harper his hit by Sam’s car. Sam feeling guilty for destroying Harper’s bike a day putting him in the hospital decides to take care of him. The two begin a tenuous at times relationship. While there is some mental abuse and hints of physical abuse in the story, it doesn’t interfere with the entertainment.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Home Improvement
  • Renegades (Breaking the Rules, #1)
  • Assist (Pucks & Rainbows, #2)
  • Best Laid Plans (Garnet Run, #2)
  • What Lies Beneath (Lancaster Falls Trilogy, #1)
  • Trading Teams
  • Quarterback Sneak (Sugar Land Saints, #1)
  • Touch of Love (Trials of Fear, #3)
  • Tic-Tac-Mistletoe
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • How to Run with the Wolves (Howl at the Moon #5)
  • Hell and Gone
  • Loving a Warrior (Loving a Warrior #1)
  • Within the Mind (In the Mind, #1)
  • Out in the End Zone (Out in College, #2)
  • Henri (Confessions, #5)
  • Broken Silence (Rock Bottom, #1)
  • The Coincidence
See top shelves…
S.C. Wynne started writing m/m in 2013. She's the 2018 Lambda Award winner for Gay Romance with her book Crashing Upwards. She loves writing m/m and her characters are usually a little jaded, funny and ultimately redeemed through love.
S.C loves red wine, margaritas and Seven and Seven’s. Yes, apparently S.C. Wynne is incredibly thirsty. S.C. Wynne loves the rain and should really live in Seattle

News & Interviews