Start by marking “What if an Octopus Followed Me Home?” as Want to Read:
What if an Octopus Followed Me Home?

What if an Octopus Followed Me Home?

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  18 ratings  ·  17 reviews
What would you do if on your way home from school, you made friends with an octopus?

That's what happened to Julius Jackson, an eight year-old boy, who noticed a little octopus following him home.

Julius makes friends with a little octopus, who he calls Mack. His mother is shocked but Julius thinks that Mack is lost and alone and needs a friend.

Watch what happens when he br
Published September 28th 2018 by Pamela D. Beverly

To ask other readers questions about What if an Octopus Followed Me Home?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What if an Octopus Followed Me Home?

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of What if an Octopus Followed Me Home?
Etienne
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story and illustrations. A book that a fun story but that also opens a dialogue about the difference between what you want to do and what is the good thing to do. Thinking about the well being of others. Good one
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
While it is true that Octopuses have escaped from their tanks, quite a few times, I am not aware that any could survive quite as long as they do in this book, as they have to be wet, even when "walking" on land. But ok, I'll suspend my disbelief for this book. After all, there are stories all the time about unusual things.

I'll even suspend my disbelief that an octopus to "race" around with a child.

Octopus followed me home

But as a Mom, I find it odd that his Mom let him keep the pet, and play with it as much as he did.

T
Lana
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful and silly little picture book about caring for an octopus, of all things! Julius is excited when he is followed home by an octopus. He thinks he can keep him around by letting him play in the tub or his wading pool in the backyard. But as the octopus starts to not look so great, Julius realizes that this octopus belongs in the ocean. This could be a great conversation starter about what different animals need to be healthy and what animals make good pets. I found this book ad ...more
Jenna “Meadow”  | The Book of Meadow
This is my first time reviewing a children's book, so be patient with me. I also got my mom's thoughts a bit as she is a second grade teacher and thus her students could be reading this story.

I loved the illustrations of this book and appreciated the message that Pamela D. Beverly was trying to get across of how to be a good friend and care for others' needs, however it got slightly altered with the wordiness of the story.

This book is about a young boy, Julius, who befriends an octopus and deci
Storywraps
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a heartwarming story about a little boy, Julius, who comes home from school with an octopus attached to him... not only physically but emotionally as well. You know he is smitten when he has already named the little guy. He names him Mack.

His mom tells him, and correctly so, that the octopus cannot stay in the house because he is a sea creature... the end! Julius goes through a litany of reasons why Mack can stay, even throwing in the Golden Rule, " Do unto other's." Finally mom relents
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit, animals
Julius has a new friend, Mack the octopus. Even though mom isn’t sure about letting Mack, stay she agrees to one overnight visit to see how it goes. They have a great time playing hide and seek, building with blocks and swimming in the bathtub.

When Julius goes to school the next day all he can do is think about his friend at home in the swimming pool. But something is wrong with Mack. He needs salt water, not water in a backyard pool.

Even though Julius loves Mack and Mack loves Julius, they both
It is a good story in the sense that it can entertain children and it uses elements that they can easily identify from their lives. It also has an element of "surprise", because of the octopus. The only thing I would say objectively needs to be improved is what the mum says. Her dialogues sounded really unnatural and stale, but the rest of the book is okay.

I was really excited to read this book because of the unexpected storyline and the cheerful drawings. However, I am sad to say that this book
Rebecca Hill
What would you do if an octopus followed you home!? Would you want to keep it? Would your parents let you keep it? This cute little story shows one little boy how sea creatures and humans both need different things to survive. The little boy in the story wants to ensure that his new pet has everything it needs, but there is still something missing..

We loved this book! It was cute and creative! Great for kids 3-6!
Linda
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pamela D. Beverly's book, What if an Octopus Followed Me Home?, is a cute children's book. In this story, eight year old, Julius Jackson, brings home his new friend, Mack-- an octopus! At school the next day, Julius worries about leaving Mack at home. And then later that night, Mack appears to be sick. Julius needs to be a good friend and figure out how to help him. I think kids will enjoy this book and its colorful illustrations.
Valerie
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun and sweet story about the friendship between a cute little boy named Julius and the octopus that followed him home. Kids will fall in love with Mack the Octopus and Julius shows that he is a caring friend when Mack needs him most.
Melissa
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, ebooks, arc
This is a cute story of a boy and is friend Mack who is an octopus. Overall, I enjoyed the artwork, but found the story itself very wordy for a picture book. Plus there was an attempt at rhyming, but it didn't seem very consistent.
Joanne Lewis
Slightly confusing for a children's picture book. Too much text given the intended reading age of 3-6 years and the 'message' of the story became confused part way through. The attempts to make the text rhyme in places also felt awkward and contrived and detracted from the story.

Thanks to the author and NetGalley for my copy in exchange for an honest review.
K-BRC
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated and imaginative Children’s Picture book. Definitely recommend this for Storytime at preschools, day cares, & kindergartens. ...more
Poongothai
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Story of a boy and his friend Octopus. Illustrations are good.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the eARC
thecoffeeqween
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story was sweet and cute. I read this along with my 1st grader and 3rd grader. We each took turns reading a page. This was perfect for my 1st grader to read almost completely alone. There were a handful of words he needed help with. I really liked the emphasis on befriending someone different than yourself. It really reinforced the innocence of children. It also included problem solving which is always a plus in my book. Work things out, think them through and figure out a way.
 Reading Reindeer
What an adorable, warmhearted, and encouraging story! Every parent has anecdotes about "But he followed me home! Can I keep him?" In this case, he is a playful, friendly, octopus; but he can't live in a wading pool. Children will love this story; I certainly did.
Victoria
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice children's bedtime story about being a good friend. Teaches children that they cannot keep random stray octopi (that's plural for octopus right?) inside you house because of survival reasons and distraction. If said child did decide to bring home an octopus, 24 hour living arrangements can be made.
Destiny Brown

• The East End
  • Quinn's Promise Rock: No Matter Where, God Is Always There
  • Princess Puffybottom . . . and Darryl
  • Little Monsters of the Ocean: Metamorphosis Under the Waves
  • What Does A Princess Really Look Like?
  • Egypt Magnified: With a 3x Magnifying Glass